PDA

View Full Version : Any opinion on our D...

OUster
9/16/2008, 05:43 PM
Everyone's mouth has dropped after watching our offense this year. I honestly think, from what I have seen so far, we have better players and schemes than USC (who appears to be the standard, right now). However, USC's defense is flat out good. They have size, speed, playmakers and hitters. I care more about us. We have all of the above, but at times, I feel like some of the players have been out of place. So far, they haven't really been tested, either. Anyone wanna' take a jab at evaluating them. I would like someone else's input on this.

My feeling is our d-line is down right dominant. Beal, English, McCoy, Granger, Moore, Davis, etc., I don't think can be pushed around by anyone and that is where it starts.

I have seen steady improvement by the linebackers and am happy with Reynold's play in the middle. He is bringing the thunder. We'll see if they start picking on his knee injuries like they did last year as this year progresses. Lewis is having a pleasantly surprising year and I have seen little of Franks. This is through our defensive schemes I believe, but am never sure. Again, I don't think they have been adequately tested, but I am interested to see how they progress. I think they will go down as solid but not among the best in the long history of OU linebacking corps. I want to be wrong.

The unknowns for me are the d-backs. I'll admit, I was a backer/lineman in my playing days and could have cared less about the little fast, guys back there. So, my knowledge of their job is minimal. I know they are relatively young with the exception of Holmes and Harris. Harris is a stud and the way he brings the wood can be Williamsesque, at times. Holmes is always solid. Other than that,I have seen plays busted a few more times than I would like. There were a few times during the Washington game that men were open and the passes were crap. I think in the third when Locker finally put a drive together, our d-backs seemed to have the most blame. I think TTech and Missouri will give us fits if we keep this up.

Anyone interested in some analysis?

CK Sooner
9/16/2008, 05:46 PM
Holmes worried me a little during the Washington game, like the announcers said "he is looking into the backfield to much" He got burned a lot.

Linebackers have been almost perfect so far, I would like to see the short passes in the middle guarded a little better though.

Defensive backs are doing pretty good it seems. Franks has yet to impress me, but Harris is doing really good.

My Opinion Matters
9/16/2008, 06:09 PM
Seems to me like Lendy Holmes is in the wrong position at safety. I've been impressed with Brian Jackson. He reminds me a lot of Derrick Strait.

setem
9/16/2008, 08:37 PM
Did you get your paycheck from OU yet?

Our D is just fine. I compare them to LSU. Even though they lost 2 games last season they won a National Championship and they did on the backs of a pro-style d-line. Their D-backs were good but not great and their LB's were the same way.

We have all the right tools on D to make a good run this year and the only team that can beat us is OU. That may sound cliche but it is true. I watched that USC game and our d is just as fast and big as theirs. OSU gave them all the great plays. That INT return by their LB was gift wrapped for him so you cannot give him to much credit. He did his job and that put him in position to have a play like that.

Our boys are hell bent on a national championship. All they have to do is do their job and we will be in position to win big. Make all the fundamental plays and the great ones will be there! Barring a slip up we should be playing for the crystal ball.

Don't throw yourself out the window just yet we are playing amazing football...I guess that is not good enough for some people!

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/17/2008, 09:43 AM
The D looks solid to me. The only weakness we have seen is Lendy getting torched a few times(at least 3 times in the Cincy game, 2 were incompletions) but everyone is playing good. A lot of the problems with coverage is just barely being out of position which is very fixable. Brian Jackson is layin the wood and bringing a little attitude and swagger back to the D that we've lacked the last few years. I'd like to see a few more interception opportunities because that will be key later down the road in creating turnovers if we get in a tight game. But overall, I'd give it an A- just beacuse we haven't been tested yet and have recovered nicely from the few mistakes.

8timechamps
9/17/2008, 10:00 AM
I don't see a problem with our D.

The two teams that we gave up points to are legit offensive teams. Cincy wll be in a bowl game, and Washington's QB (too lazy to look up his name) is a solid player...just on a bad team. Washington's problems aren't on offense.

We won't really know how good our D is until we get into conference play, but I think we'll be fine.

Sure, we don't have the '87 squad, but then again, if they can hold teams to under 35 points, I don't think it'll matter.

badger
9/17/2008, 11:37 AM
Speaking of USC's talent level, anyone see the most recent Sporting News? You know, the one where they're all like "USC has nothing but four-five star recruits and they come here to compete."

...and this is news?! I mean, every top program has guys that come to compete that are nothing but four-five star recruits (with a few lower starred ones that either transferred from juco or are local talents that slipped under scouting radars). But ho-ly cowwwww, that Southern Cal (which I know they hate being referred to as, lol) is the same as other top programs!

So, for all future references to USC, we shall refer to them in the same way that 41-point underdog Stanford head coach Jim Harbaugh did shortly before beating them:

USC, the best team in the history of college football.

:rolleyes:

My Opinion Matters
9/17/2008, 11:48 AM
Speaking of USC's talent level, anyone see the most recent Sporting News? You know, the one where they're all like "USC has nothing but four-five star recruits and they come here to compete."

...and this is news?! I mean, every top program has guys that come to compete that are nothing but four-five star recruits (with a few lower starred ones that either transferred from juco or are local talents that slipped under scouting radars). But ho-ly cowwwww, that Southern Cal (which I know they hate being referred to as, lol) is the same as other top programs!

So, for all future references to USC, we shall refer to them in the same way that 41-point underdog Stanford head coach Jim Harbaugh did shortly before beating them:

USC, the best team in the history of college football.

:rolleyes:

Why must we Sooners have this aggie-like obsession about USC?

badger
9/17/2008, 11:51 AM

Welll.... to tell you the truth, I only posted that because I knew I could get away with it with the spek being gone... but oh snap, it just reappeared. So much for green. Helllllloooooo, red/orange. Might as well convert to Va Tech since that will be my colors from now on.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

^^^psst - that roll eye icon means I was being saracastic ^^^

OUster
9/17/2008, 01:16 PM

My thinking is that this is because their last *** kicking of us left us with an inferiority complex and thoughts as to whether we could still win the "big game" .

My Opinion Matters
9/17/2008, 01:27 PM
My thinking is that this is because their last *** kicking of us left us with an inferiority complex and thoughts as to whether we could still win the "big game" .

And does this not reek of Aggie to you?

badger
9/17/2008, 01:58 PM

Why are you capitalizing aggie? English language rules dictate that capitalization only applies to proper names. :confused:

OklahomaSooners
9/17/2008, 03:30 PM
Look guys, USC is only a media darling in the big scheme of things, USC beat an OSU team that couldn't even put away a sub par Ohio team, Tell me that OSU is really all that, to put a world beater impression on USC. We as Sooners will be just fine I think, Just win win win, and as usual, USC will be exposed by somebody in the PAC-10, at least show that USC has weakness! If we dont win win win, the same will happen to us, Again: :( Hopefully Bob will keep the team progressing and keep the attention on the next game only, and the preparation and motivation level sky high!!!

UberSooner
9/17/2008, 04:01 PM
It's too early to say much about our secondary other than they look outstanding. Our D line is one of if not the best two deep in the country. The linebackers are still the question at this point because we haven't seen them against a quality quarterback with a dink and dunk scheme ala tech, mizzou, baylor and everybody else in the country anymore.

I honestly think the Baylor game once again, will ask alot of the right questions at the right time. Their quarterback is not top tier but competent enough to run their O. I'm really looking foward to that game believe it or not.

tommieharris91
9/17/2008, 04:03 PM
Our D sucks because Venables is still coach.

badger
9/17/2008, 04:14 PM
Our D sucks because Venables is still coach.

:les: CHUCK THIRD AND LONG! [hairGel]

OUster
9/17/2008, 06:16 PM

Actually, what you smell is the sweet scent of sarcasm, but to the untrained nostril it can smell of obsession.

freshchris05
9/18/2008, 12:36 AM
Actually, what you smell is the sweet scent of sarcasm, but to the untrained nostril it can smell of obsession.

Not to jump into this, but i think he understands the sarcasm... I think he's more referring to the fact that since that one day in january, sooner fans will never give usc credit for anything and resent them, the same way aggie does towards us.

I understand the media is way too much but usc produces good football teams... thats all i can say good about them. They arent world beaters but they arent notre dame either, they can play, but so can we...

and besides last time i checked we invented winning... we're OU... like we should give a f*ck about some condoms...

JUST DON'T FEEL RIGHT...

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2008, 10:33 AM
I think our D will be fine and perhaps the best in the conference. None of the Big12 teams will have great defensive stats this year due to all the good offenses and QBs. Teams will move the ball on us and put points on the board, so it will be frustrating to the fans who expect our D to just stuff everyone. If the coaches and players do their jobs well, the opponents will walk away wondering what happened and just think it was bad luck or they stopped themselves (like Mizzou last year). I am concerned about losing Granger though; I hope the coaches are willing to burn a red shirt if needed. This is the year we have a chance to win it all and if any of the projected red shirts can help, they should get the opportunity.

My Opinion Matters
9/18/2008, 10:33 AM

Don't give yourself so much credit. OU has a great program. Like it or not, USC has a great program. This undying obsession by certain factions of our fanbase regarding USC is absurd. The attempts to deconstruct and devalue the accomplishments of their program doesn't elevate the stature of our program; it does the opposite. It's not the threads about USC that bother me. It's when we have topics that are intended to be OU-centric, and someone inevitably wanders in to bash USC. I hate USC as much as anyone, but its dumb and unnecessary to engage ourselves in a constant weenis-measuring contest with them. We're OU dammit. We've accomplished a lot, and there's a helluva lot to be proud of. As a fanbase we should expect better of ourselves.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

OUster
9/18/2008, 11:03 AM
MOM...I think this is a case of misinterpretation. Don't misinterpret judging OU's defense against the current football bar with obsession. Don't misinterpret pointing out USC weakness with not giving them credit. Don't misinterpret pointing out OU's possible defensive weaknesses for not giving credit to OU's storied football program. This is a football board where we discuss our concerns about the state of OU's program. If not here, then where can we do it. If we were anything more than just *******s with opinions, then someone would pay us for our analysis and our thoughts. I am pretty positive that neither you nor I have received a check from OU athletics lately. To whom am I supposed to raise my concerns about OU's defense if not this board...my wife -who could give a rat's ***. Take the analysis for what it is worth and add something if you so choose. However, to mistakenly assume an inquiry is anything more than precisely that, doesn't make my post a shot at OU for you to defend. It makes your diatribe irrelevant. So, the question is, any concerns for our Defense this year...?

Scott D
9/18/2008, 11:08 AM
I don't know what you people are arguing about, didn't Mark May already say the only team that could beat USC was the 2007 Patriots, which means two teams can beat them...the other being the 2007 Giants. :D

TMcGee86
9/18/2008, 05:03 PM

that's a formidable scent.

quite pungent...

JLEW1818
9/18/2008, 05:10 PM
I took a pee on Mark May..............

meoveryouxinfinity
9/18/2008, 06:14 PM
Don't give yourself so much credit. OU has a great program. Like it or not, USC has a great program. This undying obsession by certain factions of our fanbase regarding USC is absurd. The attempts to deconstruct and devalue the accomplishments of their program doesn't elevate the stature of our program; it does the opposite. It's not the threads about USC that bother me. It's when we have topics that are intended to be OU-centric, and someone inevitably wanders in to bash USC. I hate USC as much as anyone, but its dumb and unnecessary to engage ourselves in a constant weenis-measuring contest with them. We're OU dammit. We've accomplished a lot, and there's a helluva lot to be proud of. As a fanbase we should expect better of ourselves.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

We're not alone. Just about everyone outside of southern CA hates USC just as much as Notre Dame. Envy? sure... but hate, none the less. So if you expect us to love the boys of troy, you're doing some wishful thinking.

If you don't root against USC and Notre Dame, consider yourself un-sooner and unamerican.

mightysooner
9/18/2008, 09:37 PM
I think the D has played well all things considered. I too worry about the defensive backfield. I don't think it's the players though. We've had the same problems for years now. What I DON'T like is that damn soft zone coverage we play and sitting our corners 12 yards off the receivers giving them the underneath plays. I'd like to see more bump and run given the pressure our D line generates.

tulsaoilerfan
9/18/2008, 10:06 PM
We seem to be alot faster on D this season; that can only help in the long run

Curly Bill
9/18/2008, 10:07 PM
We seem to be alot faster on D this season; that can only help in the long run

Actually, for a long run you'd be more interested in indurance then speed. :P

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2008, 10:37 PM
I think the D has played well all things considered. I too worry about the defensive backfield. I don't think it's the players though. We've had the same problems for years now. What I DON'T like is that damn soft zone coverage we play and sitting our corners 12 yards off the receivers giving them the underneath plays. I'd like to see more bump and run given the pressure our D line generates.

A zone has advantages or they wouldn't use it. The key is to mix things up so that the receivers and QB see different coverages all the time and have to decide what to do in 2-3 seconds. It's frustration to see an easy 8 yard completion in the zone, but that same play may get picked when a rotating zone brings a guy in from the other side if the QB miss reads it. Constant man to man will give up a big play, so other coverages must be mixed in.

badger
9/19/2008, 11:40 AM
I don't know what you people are arguing about, didn't Mark May already say the only team that could beat USC was the 2007 Patriots, which means two teams can beat them...the other being the 2007 Giants. :D

and the 2007 Packers, which should have beaten the Giants!

birddog
9/19/2008, 12:07 PM
be afraid. be very afraid of gerald mccoy.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/08-09/video/m-footbl/09sep/20080918_mccoy_journal.wmv&school=okla&

Scott D
9/19/2008, 12:46 PM
and the 2007 Packers, which should have beaten the Giants!

except Brett couldn't help being Brett and threw that pass right to the Giants defender ;)

badger
9/19/2008, 12:56 PM
except Brett couldn't help being Brett and threw that pass right to the Giants defender ;)

:les: HE WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP US WIN THE GAME! [hairGel]