PDA

View Full Version : uw claims 1960 national title

PDXsooner
9/16/2008, 12:30 AM
there was the sign at husky stadium claiming national championships in 1960 and 1991. i know they split the title with miami in 1991, but are they pulling a USC with some kind of retro-claim in 1960?

i though minnesota won the title in '60? was the AP/UPI not the acknowledged source for champions at that time?

nothing beats when USC just randomly decided (about 4 years ago) to retro-claim the 1939 title. what a joke! almost as bad as 'bama!

UDubFootball
9/16/2008, 12:46 AM
here is some info on it:

"In those days, the Associated Press (AP) and United Press International (UPI) polls crowned a national champion before the bowl games were played. Two other recognized media entities - the Helms Foundation, and the newly-formed Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) - waited until after the season was finished.

The decision to wait was well worth it. Jim Owens' Huskies - who had gone from a 3-7 season in 1958 to back-to-back 10-1 seasons - beat the No. 1-rated Minnesota Golden Gophers 17-7 in the 1961 Rose Bowl. So while the AP and UPI heralded Minnesota as the national champs, the Helms Foundation voted the Huskies as the No. 1 team in the land."

http://washington.scout.com/2/683532.html

PDXsooner
9/16/2008, 12:58 AM
thanks for the info -- seems legit.

KingBarry
9/16/2008, 04:45 AM
Gotta say, i think they have a right to claim that. I think one of the reasons that OU has been reluctant to ever recognize a title based on post-bowl results is we would have to give up the 1950 title.

olevetonahill
9/16/2008, 05:57 AM
here is some info on it:

"In those days, the Associated Press (AP) and United Press International (UPI) polls crowned a national champion before the bowl games were played. Two other recognized media entities - the Helms Foundation, and the newly-formed Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) - waited until after the season was finished.

The decision to wait was well worth it. Jim Owens' Huskies - who had gone from a 3-7 season in 1958 to back-to-back 10-1 seasons - beat the No. 1-rated Minnesota Golden Gophers 17-7 in the 1961 Rose Bowl. So while the AP and UPI heralded Minnesota as the national champs, the Helms Foundation voted the Huskies as the No. 1 team in the land."

http://washington.scout.com/2/683532.html

You get what ever Ya can get from that worthless teet . :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
9/16/2008, 05:58 AM
Gotta say, i think they have a right to claim that. I think one of the reasons that OU has been reluctant to ever recognize a title based on post-bowl results is we would have to give up the 1950 title.

your an Idiot
If we Claimed All Posible NCs we would have Like 16 :rolleyes:
Let them dig in the trash fer NCs I ll take Ours str8 up .

SteelClip49
9/16/2008, 08:53 AM
If it's not UPI and AP then it's not an officially recognized NC. Washington just has 1991. If anything, Washington has no claim to 1960. Mississippi on the other hand does having gone 10-0-1. Missouri also went 11-0 when they were later recognized with the win over Kansas in which they lost to but KU was caught cheating....at the time Mizzou was #1 and lost their title due to KU cheating. When it was all said and done, (8-2) Minnesota wins the national title.

badger
9/16/2008, 09:12 AM
your an Idiot

Be nice, olevet. Just cuz there isn't spek anymore... :D

Anyways, if any of you bothered to buy a program (the guy with us did because he likes to have the names of opposing players in front of him for... reasons) you will notice the entire explanation, which includes a statement to the tune of "Of course, the NCAA doesn't recognize national champions, so there really isn't any championships!"

There you have it - no championships. :pop: