PDA

View Full Version : Lost my best Buddy today

Sooner24
9/16/2008, 12:04 AM
I had to have my dachshund, Buddy, put to sleep today after over 15 years of faithful companionship. He was sick right before I left for Seattle but had gotten better over the weekend. Last night when I got home he starting have difficulty beathing and I had to take to the vets today and it was the most gut wrenching thing I have ever had to do. I am not ashamed to admit I wept as I had to let him go. Buddy you will be missed and will always in my heart.

olevetonahill
9/16/2008, 12:19 AM
I had to have my dachshund, Buddy, put to sleep today after over 15 years of faithful companionship. He was sick right before I left for Seattle but had gotten better over the weekend. Last night when I got home he starting have difficulty beathing and I had to take to the vets today and it was the most gut wrenching thing I have ever had to do. I am not ashamed to admit I wept as I had to let him go. Buddy you will be missed and will always in my heart.

RIP Buddy
I know the feelin , My lil weinie Is a stray that found Me But Id hate to Lose her .
My ex had 2 Min. schnauzers One ran off and she just told the vet to Put Bud to sleep Cause she wouldnt take Care of Him .
Hell I went to the Vet and Held Him while the Doc did the shot , Had tears runnin everywhere , And he was Her Dog . But I loved Him More .

proud gonzo
9/16/2008, 12:32 AM
:(

Tailwind
9/16/2008, 12:43 AM
That really sucks. Sorry man.

Widescreen
9/16/2008, 12:47 AM
Sorry, I know how you feel. :(

OUHOMER
9/16/2008, 04:58 AM
I feel your pain, Been in your shoes and it sucks..
i am sorry for your loss

StoopTroup
9/16/2008, 05:08 AM
I went through this before we found our new Buddy, 24.

I does suck.

Remember the good times.

ST

olevetonahill
9/16/2008, 05:47 AM
I does suck.Remember the good times.

ST

:D I will always cherish the time we Had together:hot: :D

Harry Beanbag
9/16/2008, 06:50 AM
Sorry dude. Not looking forward to that day.

Turd_Ferguson
9/16/2008, 06:53 AM
Sorry to hear that. RIP Buddy.:(

Boomer.....
9/16/2008, 07:18 AM
Sorry to hear that. :(

SoonerJack
9/16/2008, 07:48 AM
I have a couple of dachshunds myself. Awesomely loyal dogs.

My prayers are with you today, friend.

OUDoc
9/16/2008, 08:19 AM

Sooner04
9/16/2008, 08:50 AM
Buddy was a fine, fine dog. No dog ever did more tricks for a bite of cheese than my good friend, Buddy. I never encountered a better dachsund.

The good times were great with that dog, 24. Always remember them!

SOONER STEAKER
9/16/2008, 09:03 AM
Brings tears to my eyes as it reminds me of my dog "Baron" that I lost when I was young. My condolences to you!

GrapevineSooner
9/16/2008, 09:13 AM
that sucks :(

colleyvillesooner
9/16/2008, 09:25 AM

jkjsooner
9/16/2008, 09:46 AM

I just had to do that with my German Shepherd about a month ago and it was much harder than I even imagined. I feel for you. I truly believe Buddy is up there running and playing.

You're in my thoughts.

Viking Kitten
9/16/2008, 09:54 AM
:( We had a dachshund growing up, he lived to be 16 too. He wasn't our dog, he was a family member. My dad called him his "ugly, retarded, adopted son." Great dogs.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

SCOUT
9/16/2008, 10:06 AM
I am sorry to hear you lost your dog. I lost two long time canine companions earlier this year and I know how hard it is. Someone recommended a book to me and it helped so I am going to recommend it to you. The book is titled "Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish." by Mark Levin. Yes he is a conservative talk show host but that is not what this book is about. It really is a good read when you are in this position.

8timechamps
9/16/2008, 10:10 AM
Losing a dog always sucks.

Sorry to hear about it.

Collier11
9/16/2008, 10:11 AM
Pets are a part of the family, its a tough loss for sure

BigRedJed
9/16/2008, 10:25 AM
Sorry, 24. I can definitely relate.

captain_surly
9/16/2008, 12:59 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss 24. I have had to put down a couple and have five today. I can't imagine not having a dog even though you know they're probably going before you. That's probably best though because believe it or not, they would probably miss us worse than we do them.

A Dog's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing, and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And my friend, when I am very old and no longer able to enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I shall leave this Earth knowing with the last breath I draw, that my fate was always safest in your hands...

I will always be your BEST FRIEND.

birddog
9/16/2008, 01:05 PM
sorry to hear that. it's always in the back of your mind from the time their pups but you're never prepared when the day comes.

on the plus side, as devastating as it is at the time, you get over it pretty fast.

C&CDean
9/16/2008, 01:32 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss 24. I have had to put down a couple and have five today. I can't imagine not having a dog even though you know they're probably going before you. That's probably best though because believe it or not, they would probably miss us worse than we do them.

A Dog's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing, and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And my friend, when I am very old and no longer able to enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I shall leave this Earth knowing with the last breath I draw, that my fate was always safest in your hands...

I will always be your BEST FRIEND.

I'm just glad you didn't post that POS "Rainbow Bridge" poem that people post around here when somebody's dog dies.

Losing a dog sucks. Losing a really good dog inhales profusely. Sorry to hear about your pup Greg.

M
9/16/2008, 03:07 PM

royalfan5
9/16/2008, 03:36 PM
Sorry to hear it.

Rogue
9/16/2008, 06:35 PM
Sorry about your loss.

I was seriously going to post that Rainbow Bridge poem cause I like it. Since Dean preemptively nipped that, I won't. But it's google-able.

bluedogok
9/16/2008, 08:04 PM
Sorry about that 24, too many of us have faced this same situation in the past year.
My condolences.....

tommieharris91
9/16/2008, 08:26 PM
I don't know what I'll do when my dog dies. Condolences. :(

nmsoonergirl
9/16/2008, 09:37 PM

Wishboned
9/16/2008, 09:48 PM
I am really sorry for your loss. And even though you're hurting I hope you take comfort in the fact that Buddy knew he was loved, and that you gave him a good home.

My Yorkie is almost 13 and he's aged quite a bit the last year. He's gotten to the point where he can't jump up on the bed anymore, and he's having difficulty jumping on the couch.

But he has good days too, where he grins at me and has that fire in his eyes.

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2008, 09:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Ain't no shame in crying though. I wasn't anywhere near normal the day I had to make that call with my puppy. I used to get all teary-eyed just thinking about it, but now I just smile and laugh when I think about him.

It is a tough call to make, no doubt, but I am sure you made the right one.

Curly Bill
9/16/2008, 10:04 PM
So sorry about your loss. I did the same for my best friend of twelve years in January.

Curly Bill
9/16/2008, 10:05 PM
I was seriously going to post that Rainbow Bridge poem cause I like it.

I cry ever time I read that thing. :)

Sooner04
9/16/2008, 11:21 PM
Sooner24, my family lost our family dog last month. I wrote this as therapy for myself, since he'd been the family dog for more than half of my life. Maybe it'll help you a bit. :)

General George Custer (Spring 1995 - 8/15/2008)

My friend, affectionately known as Custer or Cussie, was a fine man. A full-blood Siberian Husky, he was welcomed into our household in the McVeigh-riddled Summer of 1995. I had just returned from a miserable week of Boy Scout Summer Camp at Camp Simpson, but my Mom had a surprise waiting for me in the car: my friend, Custer.

A southpaw, Custer did his business with his formidable left paw. "Custer, shake" was met immediately by a thud in your right hand and a hearty pant from his lips. Thirteen years, and it was the only trick he ever bothered to learn.

An astute digger, Custer transformed our backyard into his own model of the Lunar landscape. A battle of wits ensued between Custer and my Dad in an ongoing duel to keep my friend within the confines of our fence. An electrical line around the entire perimeter of our property was useless because Custer was a firm believer in trial and error. It took my friend little time to find the soft spots, and digging would begin again in earnest. Arriving home from work one day, Dad went to the backyard to find my friend had once again proven himself superior. As Dad surveyed the fresh damage, my friend re-entered the yard through an older tunnel and trotted over to his defeated combatant. Admitting defeat, Dad offered his hand for a shake, which Custer happily obliged with his mighty left paw.

A healthy male, Custer's younger days were spent sewing his oats all over the Windsor Hills Subdivision. Around the corner, on Rosedale Street, lived a lovely poodle whose owner had visions of pure-bred puppies. Judging from her irate discussion with my Dad, Pooskies (or Huskoodles, if you will) are not a breed recognized by the American Kennel Club.

Halloween '97 was my friend at his finest. Custer would not hurt a fly, but he was one imposing dude. A plan was hatched. We'd leave the light on, but we'd have my friend tied up on the far end of the porch. Kids would come up the walk, get within a few steps of the doorbell, and Custer would unleash a howl. Youngsters in bulky costumes would high-tail it out of there at warp speed, assorted candies flying everywhere, to the massive delight of all inside the house.

August of '99 brought a move to the north end of town, and with it came room to maneuver. While my friend was chained in the back yard with plenty of slack due to our lack of a fence, he was often let loose to roam the countryside. My friend would vanish for days, exploring the woods and following his nose or sex drive, whichever felt the most pressing. He'd always return, often in the night, and when we left to go to work the following morning he'd be on the porch ready to go back to his quarters for rest.

Custer was at his happiest when he was walking with my parents. You would've thought he never went to the bathroom around his backyard pad because the copious amounts of **** and poop he'd drop on our walks would leave you drunk with awe. No mailbox or garden hose or sprinkler was safe from a deluge or dump. Even though arthritis slowed my friend later in life, he never was too achy for a walk. If he wasn't walked for a day or two, every member of our family who passed him by was met with an angry howl. Once walked, all was well in Custer's world.

My Dad always enjoyed telling about the time he was taking Custer up to my Grandpa's ranch north of town. About half way there, my friend started making some very odd noises in the back of the Tahoe. The noises got louder, so Dad pulled over. As they came to a stop, the smell reached the front seat. Opening the back door brought no surprise, just the sight of a dog angry to be standing that close to his own excrement. Once his business was scooped up and thrown out, my friend didn't make a peep the rest of the trip.

A fender-bender with a car, a broom to the head from some bitch's owner following another late-night-rendezvous, the searing Oklahoma heat; none of it bothered my friend, Custer. He just kept on keeping on. A dog's life is a simple one: love your family, lick your privates, and hang out. My friend, Custer, was an expert at all three. He's been the patriarch of my family's animal kingdom for more than half of my life. Where he once sat, panted and shook, there now sits an enormous hole, figuratively and literally because, more often than not, he was sitting in a hole he'd dug himself. My friend found out long ago that the dirt underneath the surface was much cooler than the stuff on top. Smart dog, that Custer.

My friend, Custer, leaves behind a heartbroken but appreciative family. He also leaves two good friends, Ranger and Charlotte, the family shih-tzu and cat, respectively. Also in his wake, my friend left behind countless one-night stands, numerous children and a black labrador, who would come by our house a couple of times a week and will now have to find somewhere else to go to be satisfied.

I know he's in a place now where there is no arthritis, no achy hips, and no 100-degree afternoons. I think back to those rare times here in Ardmore when it would snow. You'd take a look outside and there's my friend, Custer, looking up to the heavens and knowing, in his heart, that this is how it's supposed to be for somebody like him.

Wherever he is, I hope it's snowing like crazy.

Goodbye, old friend.

Blue
9/17/2008, 12:33 AM
If 04 can post his gay *** tribute to Custer the Whoring Husky, we can certainly take a trip to the rainbow bridge...

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Jk 04. Nice tribute. I had to put down the family dog on a trip home a few years ago. My mom was bawling. They could've kept her alive w/ valium but it was time. I hated it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/17/2008, 06:14 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Sooner24
9/17/2008, 08:01 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Ain't no shame in crying though. I wasn't anywhere near normal the day I had to make that call with my puppy. I used to get all teary-eyed just thinking about it, but now I just smile and laugh when I think about him.

It is a tough call to make, no doubt, but I am sure you made the right one.

It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I can't wait until I get to the point I can smile and laugh when I think about him.

C&CDean
9/17/2008, 08:38 AM
It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I can't wait until I get to the point I can smile and laugh when I think about him.

You'll get there. I've had a few put down by the vet, and I've put down a few myself. Either way, it sucks.

What I've found though is that over time, all I really remember is the funny stuff the dogs used to do. I forget about the digging in the flowerbeds and garden, the chewing of boots and shoes and table legs, the pissing on the carpet, the puking on the couch, and the barking at all hours of the night. I just remember the times when they chased squirrells up trees, got skunked, took off and dove into the pond, chased cows into the pen, and how excited they got when we pulled up the driveway. I remember sitting in front of the fire on a cold winter night with two dogs sitting on my lap keeping me warm. I remember burning the brushpiles in the winter and the dogs laying close to the fire to keep warm.

Like I said, you'll get there.

BigRedJed
9/17/2008, 09:19 AM
Dean, you old softie.

C&CDean
9/17/2008, 09:20 AM
I've got my moments.

BigRedJed
9/17/2008, 09:21 AM
There's a pill for that, you know.

OU4LIFE
9/17/2008, 09:24 AM

I'm not ready for the day I have to do this again. Sorry for you.