PDA

View Full Version : I don't want an Oil Companies are evil thread...

Sooner_Havok
9/15/2008, 06:33 PM
I just want an explanation to this little graph I found.

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/images/Nat_grph.jpg

There has to be a reason why the national average for gas and the wholesale cost of it stayed so nicely in line with the rise of oil, but are sticking at a higher cost now that oil has dropped.

I know some of you have some well informed looks into this industry, so could you please take some time to explain?

Again, this is not an oil companies are evil thread, if you want to express those views, start a copycat thread, I just want some answers to a rather puzzling trend.

Also, "Oil companies are evil!" is not a valid answer!

Rogue
9/15/2008, 06:42 PM
Oil companies are NOT your friends. They are selling a commodity with huge demand and prices are subject to their sinister whims and fancies.

OK, I got nothin'.

Sooner_Havok
9/15/2008, 06:43 PM
Oil companies are NOT your friends. They are selling a commodity with huge demand and prices are subject to their sinister whims and fancies.

OK, I got nothin'.

:mad:

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 06:46 PM
If there was a graph with a 4th line that showed the capacity of Boone Picker Stadium....

Well...I think you might understand what is going on.

tommieharris91
9/15/2008, 06:47 PM
People who make gasoline are greedy and evil. That and a hurricane hit a ton of oil refineries over the weekend.

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 06:50 PM
My Cousin works for KHOU in Houston and has sent us updates about what all they are going through right now and some pics.

He's got some damage at his house but says he's one of the luckier ones.

Houston Hobby Airport looks like it's still closed to me.

So...Tommie is probably right on the mark.

Until they access the damage to their operations...you probably won't see anything happen...even after that...I still not sure we will.

I don't trust them either.

ST

OUHOMER
9/15/2008, 07:00 PM
by looking at the graph, does the weather correlate with the date?

Petro-Sooner
9/15/2008, 07:10 PM
:texan:

Sooner_Havok
9/15/2008, 07:17 PM
People who make gasoline are greedy and evil. That and a hurricane hit a ton of oil refineries over the weekend.

Perry said that those areas "dodged a bullet", but bloomberg has this

Oil refiners in Texas and Louisiana prepared to restart plants. Ike caused minimal damage to facilities in an area that supplies about half of the fuel and crude used in the eastern half of the U.S. Crude oil fell to a seven-month low and gasoline futures fell.

by looking at the graph, does the weather correlate with the date?

I don't think it is up to Ike if that is what you are asking.

tommieharris91
9/15/2008, 07:20 PM
Perry said that those areas "dodged a bullet",

RBOB Gasoline fell about $.22 today. When that gets to stations, I don't know. I'm trying to wait for the price to fall to fill up.

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:30 PM
$3.69 per gallon to fill up my bike today.

$8.21 total.

It wasn't completely empty...it's usually around 10-11.

Sooner_Havok
9/15/2008, 07:43 PM
RBOB Gasoline fell about $.22 today. When that gets to stations, I don't know. I'm trying to wait for the price to fall to fill up.

I guess it will even out for me, I last filled up at $3.19. but had to fill up today at $3.57. :(

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:48 PM
I guess it will even out for me, I last filled up at $3.19. but had to fill up today at $3.57. :(

That's the thing that gets me is these 50 cent jumps in the price at the pump.

Cam
9/21/2008, 08:00 PM
What gets me are people who fill up for $3.59 when the station across the street is at $3.19. If you want to throw away your money, let me know, I'll be happy to take if off your hands.

Sooner_Havok
9/21/2008, 08:01 PM
What gets me are people who fill up for $3.59 when the station across the street is at $3.19. If you want to throw away your money, let me know, I'll be happy to take if off your hands.

You're just mad cause you can't get in on that techron crap :D

oumartin
9/21/2008, 09:37 PM
you will pay what they want you to pay!

There is no less activity at the pump because of high gas prices. Just my guess but I highly doubt you see the price of gasoline ever drop much below 3.00 a gallon regardless of the price of oil.

the_ouskull
9/22/2008, 07:08 AM
...and after this summer, you'll be saying $4.00 per gallon. ...and after next summer, you'll be saying $5.00 per gallon. The days of $2.00 per gallon gas are jurassic at this point, fellas and gals. It's simple economics. The market has beared raiding our wallets because, regardless of the price of the supply, the demand has not decreased. Until people get in lines at the bicycle pumps instead of the gas pumps, they'll keep rising.

the_ouskull

OUHOMER
9/22/2008, 07:50 AM

I do pay more for pure gas vs. E10. I do get better gas mileage, and I worry about long term engine damage. especially in my small engines, motorcycle, lawn mower etc.

sooneron
9/22/2008, 09:14 AM
I would REALLY like to see crude drop some more for my heating bills this Winter.

That graph sorta makes sense to me. Gas isn't going to drop as quickly as crude, due to the fact that it has been refined and has to be shipped (again). Plus, it takes gas to get the gas to you. Demand is up. Companies are in it for one thing, the bottom line for the board and the stockholders. Just because they put out a touchy feely commercial out in a pretty meadow somewhere doesn't mean that they won't screw over their own mothers to gain a big old P.

tommieharris91
9/22/2008, 11:22 AM
...and after this summer, you'll be saying $4.00 per gallon. ...and after next summer, you'll be saying $5.00 per gallon. The days of $2.00 per gallon gas are jurassic at this point, fellas and gals. It's simple economics. The market has beared raiding our wallets because, regardless of the price of the supply, the demand has not decreased. Until people get in lines at the bicycle pumps instead of the gas pumps, they'll keep rising.

the_ouskull

Actually, demand destruction is what caused the price of oil and gas to fall from $4.00 during the summer.