PDA

View Full Version : Should the Fed Bail Out Lehman?

Rogue
9/15/2008, 06:08 PM
Because of the enormous impact on the US and World economies?
Because the dollar needs to be bolstered a bit?

Is this ironic given the recent tightening of bankruptcy on individual Americans?

Thee last question is rhetorical obviously.

I tend to think that if it helps salvage the economy then it's worth bailing out Lehman. What about other big financial companies? Then where does it stop? What happens to the real estate market now? Do the big banks keep it? Does it get auctioned off? Do wealthy folk from other countries come buy it up?

Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?

OUHOMER
9/15/2008, 06:49 PM
Hell no, let them sink. As they say "they made their bed". The way I see it, and I am just a poor uneducated slug. They "meaning the big financial institutions" had the bankruptcy law changed to protect themselves. I would like Visa and MasterCard go down in flames too.

I think the government should step back and say "you know what, maybe we should look out for the consumer more, I think 15% interest on a credit card should be enough instead of 21% or higher. I guess maybe there should be a limit to how fast and how far a mortgage payment can go up. Maybe there should be limit on buying a car say no more than 100% of its value."

sorry, just a dumb slug's opinion

rant over

OUHOMER
9/15/2008, 06:53 PM
Oh, and I do understand, nobody had their arm twisted going upside down on a car loan, using the CC that was 24% interest. I do believe some were lied too about the value of the house they were buying and not to worry about the interest bumping up. etc

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 06:57 PM
What is does teh Bush Doctrine say about it?

lexsooner
9/15/2008, 07:00 PM
What about the Big Three auto makers? If their health care costs sink them, should Daddy Sugar bail them out too? Is their situation distinguishable because of possible national security interests?

BudSooner
9/15/2008, 07:01 PM
I don't know if Teddy is worthy of a bailout, certainly the Lions are...Millen is such a bastard for taking that job with them.

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:03 PM
We named our Son after Millen.

We may have to make a name change if he doesn't get it together. ;)

Mixer!
9/15/2008, 07:06 PM
:les: DRAFT ANOTHER WR!!!

;)

Rogue
9/16/2008, 06:53 PM
What about AIG?

tommieharris91
9/16/2008, 06:57 PM
Wall Street is saying if AIG fails, a worldwide depression will ensue.

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2008, 07:16 PM
Wall Street is saying if AIG fails, a worldwide depression will ensue.

Then tell the rest of the world to pony up! We need to stop looking at this like it is a bad thing. We gots our own sword of Damocles here folks, let's let it dangle over the worlds head for a while!

StoopTroup
9/16/2008, 07:19 PM
Why doesn't Bill Gates just put it on his MasterCard?

Jerk
9/16/2008, 07:22 PM
Let the market work.

(Unless you believe in privatizing the profits and socializing the losses)

BudSooner
9/16/2008, 07:45 PM
:les: DRAFT ANOTHER RB!!!

;)

You have some serious hate for the Bronco's eh? ;)

tommieharris91
9/16/2008, 08:40 PM
Then tell the rest of the world to pony up! We need to stop looking at this like it is a bad thing. We gots our own sword of Damocles here folks, let's let it dangle over the worlds head for a while!

I agree a lot with this statement. AIG had a lot of assets in Europe.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/16/2008, 08:54 PM
I agree a lot with this statement. AIG had a lot of assets in Europe.We can pretty much count on Europe to get financially responsible.

royalfan5
9/16/2008, 08:59 PM
Barclays Bank did agree to buy the core of Lehman's Brokerage operations today.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26738992

Blue
9/16/2008, 09:07 PM
How close are we to a World bank and world currency? Just a little bit.

Vaevictis
9/16/2008, 09:07 PM

Sounds really good until you realize that the only way that happens is if we agree to let them dictate some of the terms. Which essentially means yielding sovereignty.

Let the market work.

(Unless you believe in privatizing the profits and socializing the losses)

With firms like these, the losses are socialized either way. The only question is how much value gets chewed up by bankruptcy.

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2008, 09:09 PM
I think the world owes us a big ****ing thank you right now.

Europe, stop acting all smug and superior, this is the third time in the last 100 years we have saved your asses, so stop acting like you are better than us!

Asia, you better forget about some of that god damned debt of ours you own! If we let this bitch fall, your "emerging economy" would go down quicker than a French whore.

Russia...you can go ahead and kiss our collective fat-arses!

Middle East, you best keep that damed oil pumping cheap and plentiful! If we let this **** go down, you wouldn't be able to make enough money to pay an illegal mexican to do landscaping work on one of those little islands you built with OUR money.

Blue
9/16/2008, 09:10 PM
Fingers in the damn, IMO. We've whored ourselves out to the globe and now the pimp wants its money.

Blue
9/16/2008, 09:11 PM
I think the world owes us a big ****ing thank you right now.

Europe, stop acting all smug and superior, this is the third time in the last 100 years we have saved your asses, so stop acting like you are better than us!

Asia, you better forget about some of that god damned debt of ours you own! If we let this bitch fall, your "emerging economy" would go down quicker than a French whore.

Russia...you can go ahead and kiss our collective fat-arses!

Middle East, you best keep that damed oil pumping cheap and plentiful! If we let this **** go down, you wouldn't be able to make enough money to pay an illegal mexican to do landscaping work on one of those little islands you built with OUR money.

Who would it hurt most though? Those of us that have gotten accustomed to a certain way of life.

royalfan5
9/16/2008, 09:12 PM
How close are we to a World bank and world currency? Just a little bit.
The dollar and the Fed are already the closest we will see to that. However being that most people believe in optimal currency zones, a true world currency will likely never develop until the world is at roughly equal development levels because of the inherent advantage of being able to manipulate your currency to your economic advantage. An example of this is Italy not being able to devalue the lira to increase comptetiveness any more.

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2008, 09:13 PM
Who would it hurt most though? Those of us that have gotten accustomed to a certain way of life.

**** that, we'd at least be able to survive, **** them *******s can't even afford to feed themselves as little as a month ago. Nah, we would feel the pain, but they would be dead.

Rogue
9/17/2008, 06:42 PM
Engrish?

BudSooner
9/17/2008, 08:12 PM
Fingers in the damn, IMO. We've whored ourselves out to the globe and now the pimp wants its money.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z22/xbornwickedx/_Dave_Chappelle_As_Prince.jpg

Where is MY MONEY BITCH???