PDA

View Full Version : Richard Wright, founding member of Pink Floyd Died today

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:09 PM
Richard Wright, the founding member of Pink Floyd whose piano and synthesizer work played a critical part in the pioneering British psychedelic rock band's ethereal sound, died Monday following a short battle with cancer, his spokesman said. He was 65.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-09/42367480.jpg

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:10 PM
Doug Wright, who is not a relative, said Wright died at his home in England and that his family did not wish to release any more information, according to the Associated Press.

Wright never achieved the high public profile of the group's three key figures -- founding singer-guitarist Syd Barrett and the often-feuding co-leaders, singer-bassist Roger Waters and singer-guitarist David Gilmour, who joined shortly before Barrett left in 1968.

But he wrote or co-wrote many of the band's songs, and frequently provided a crucial component of the Pink Floyd sound. On the group's landmark "Dark Side of the Moon" album alone, Wright was responsible for the thick electric piano chording on the 1973 hit "Money" as well as the swirling organ lines and classically inspired grand piano on "Us and Them," a song he wrote with Waters.

He also co-wrote "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," one of the group's signature songs from "Wish You Were Here," the second of five Floyd albums to reach No. 1. The nine-part epic song is a salute to Barrett, who retreated after he left the group into mental illness often attributed to his drug use. He died in 2006.

Wright had no explanation for the astonishing longevity of the "Dark Side" album -- it spent more time, 741 weeks, on the Billboard album chart than any other in history -- or the extraordinary following the band inspired. The 1979 album "The Wall" spent 15 weeks at No. 1 and has been certified for worldwide sales of 23 million copies by the Recording Industry Assn. of America, putting it third on the list of all-time best sellers, behind only "The Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" and Michael Jackson's "Thriller."

"I know we've made some great songs and great music," Wright told Billboard last year, "but I can't tell you why we're so popular."

He quit the band in 1980 following their tour supporting the double album "The Wall" because of increasing tensions within the group. He rejoined the band a few years later, and, without Waters, the group put out "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" in 1987 and "The Division Bell" seven years later.

In recent years Waters has been playing "Dark Side of the Moon" in concert under his own name without any of the other original band members. Waters, Gilmour, Wright and drummer Nick Mason performed live together for the first time in 24 years at the 2005 Live 8 benefit concert in London.

Wright released two solo albums, "Wet Dreams" in 1978 and "Broken China" in 1996, but neither made Billboard's Top 200 albums chart.

In a 2006 interview with the London-based Independent newspaper discussing the DVD release of Pink Floyd's 1994 concert tour, Wright talked about the group's celebrated concerts, which helped expand the boundaries of what rock was capable of in a live setting through elaborate lighting and staging effects.

"One of the things I always regret about being in Pink Floyd is that you can never go to see the show. I have no idea what it looks like. We know it's pretty powerful, but when you're onstage you have no clear idea of it."

He met Waters and Mason while they were students together at architecture school in England. They started playing together in a band they called Sigma 6.

When they hooked up with Barrett and formed Pink Floyd in 1964, the rock explosion was reverberating through England and across the Atlantic as the British Invasion took hold stateside. At that time, Wright said his goal was a simple one.

"When we were with Syd," he told the Independent, "our ambition was probably to get a No. 1, to get on Top of the Pops," referring to the popular British pop music TV show. "That was his ambition, definitely. My only ambition was: this is fun, I hope we can make a living out of this -- and of course, I hope we're gonna be a huge success and sell more records than Elvis Presley and the Beatles!"

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:11 PM
http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/pink_floyd/pink_floyd_biography.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
9/15/2008, 05:12 PM
My only ambition was: this is fun, I hope we can make a living out of this -- and of course, I hope we're gonna be a huge success and sell more records than Elvis Presley and the Beatles!"

I'm sorry, but that honor is solely reserved for Roger Whitaker and Slim Whitman.

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 05:12 PM
RIP

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:14 PM
http://ra.2mcl.com/wp/sexy-girls/girls-Pink-Floyd-Girls-434.jpg

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry, but that honor is solely reserved for Roger Whitaker and Slim Whitman.huh?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/15/2008, 05:17 PM
You don't remember those old TV commercials pitching Roger Whitaker and Slim Whitman albums?

Both of 'em said they sold more records than Elvis or The Beatles. Maybe in Crapzipistan or Gonaditania, but they said it in every one.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:21 PM
You don't remember those old TV commercials pitching Roger Whitaker and Slim Whitman albums?

Both of 'em said they sold more records than Elvis or The Beatles. Maybe in Crapzipistan or Gonaditania, but they said it in every one.lol, no I don't remember them but I've had cable since 1980, so there ya go. ;)

I went and saw Roger Waters in Dallas earier this year and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. I'm hoping him and Gilmore (who is half as talented as Waters) will do one more Floyd tour and I'll catch them in Amsterdam.

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 05:23 PM
That is terrible news. Will have to go home and watch some David Live at Albert Hall and give a toast.

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 05:24 PM
Doubt Dave and Roger ever hook up, especially with Richard gone.

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 05:27 PM
Careful with the rips on David there Ron, not to many guitarist like the old boy.

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I think he might have been the only hope for a reunion between those two.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:31 PM
Careful with the rips on David there Ron, not to many guitarist like the old boy.
Fabulous Guitarist not much of a song writer, only compared to a handful of souls though and Waters is in there.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:33 PM
Although, they did collaborate on my favorite song...

Dogs (Waters, Gilmour) 17:06

You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need.
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street,
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight,
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking.

And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder.
You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you
get older.
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south,
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man,
All alone and dying of cancer.

And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.
And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone.
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw
around.
So have a good drown, as you go down, all alone,
Dragged down by the stone.

I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused.
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used.
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise.
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this
maze?

Deaf, dumb, and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable and no-one has a real friend.
And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
And everything's done under the sun,
And you believe at heart, everyone's a killer.

Who was born in a house full of pain.
Who was trained not to spit in the fan.
Who was told what to do by the man.
Who was broken by trained personnel.
Who was fitted with collar and chain.
Who was given a pat on the back.
Who was breaking away from the pack.
Who was only a stranger at home.
Who was ground down in the end.
Who was found dead on the phone.
Who was dragged down by the stone.

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 05:39 PM
I hear ya, Roger's solo work is head and shoulders above David's.

Mixer!
9/15/2008, 05:46 PM
*sigh*.... damnit. :(

RIP.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:48 PM
I hear ya, Roger's solo work is head and shoulders above David's.
I know, he's so great. "In The Flesh" and "Amused to Death" would have been huge if they would have had the name "Pink Floyd" attached to them.

I guess, I'm a little resentful towards Gilmore because he wasn't even a founding member and used the legal system to get the rights to the name Pink Floyd.

Profit, at least we can agree on good music, eh?;)

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 05:57 PM
I think the only gripe a lot of people have with Gilmour is that they felt like he was driving the use of the PF name, sans-Waters, for A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Frankly, Gilmour is a heck of a lot more likable than Waters.

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 05:58 PM
I know, he's so great. "In The Flesh" and "Amused to Death" would have been huge if they would have had the name "Pink Floyd" attached to them.

I guess, I'm a little resentful towards Gilmore because he wasn't even a founding member and used the legal system to get the rights to the name Pink Floyd.

Profit, at least we can agree on good music, eh?;)

Yep, have always appreciated the affinity for things Floyd.

Don't leave out Pros and Cons of Hitchhinking, can't go wrong with Clapton and David Sanborn.

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 05:59 PM
Oddly enough, Wright wasn't even on Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 05:59 PM
I think the only gripe a lot of people have with Gilmour is that they felt like he was driving the use of the PF name, sans-Waters, for A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Frankly, Gilmour is a heck of a lot more likable than Waters.Well, talent and affability are traits rarely found in one human being. ;)

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 06:02 PM
Well, he played on it, but only as a session musician. It was a Gilmour vanity project. Shouldn't have had the Pink Floyd name on it.

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 06:05 PM
Well, he played on it, but only as a session musician. It was a Gilmour vanity project. Shouldn't have had the Pink Floyd name on it.

Yep. Still a big fan, and Live at the Royal Albert Hall is a quality dvd score.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 06:05 PM
listening now and heard,

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
He makes me down to lie
Through pastures green he leadeth me the silent waters by
With bright knives he releaseth my soul
He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places
He converteth me to lamb cutlets
For lo,m he hath great power and great hunger
When cometh the day we lowly ones
Through quiet reflection and great dedication
Master the art of karate
Lo, we shall rise up
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.

Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a scream
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Have you heard the news?
The dogs are dead!
You better stay home
And do as you're told
Get out of the road if you want to grow old!:gary:

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNTYIQnWOWk

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZeYjpSXCQ

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNTYIQnWOWk
Heh. One of the comments on that YouTube page:

ok again everyone of you is over hyping the band, their music and their visuals...its like andie waholes painting of a ****in can of soup..its not symbolic of ****..its ppls who take too many ****in drugs and then do something and then another grp of idiots calls it art or great music..if you want great music look at the eagles, metalic, aerosmith, journey..among a few who actually formed a lot of great and memorable songs, led zeplin,..ect. Pink floid was no where near talented..medocre at best
Pretty much sums up the Internet for me these days.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 06:20 PM
Heh. One of the comments on that YouTube page:

Pretty much sums up the Internet for me these days.That guy has pegged a lot of bands, jut not Floyd.

BTW - syd was effin crazy before he took any drugs. No cause and effect. If anything I think he was clear longer than he would have been without any medication.

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 06:24 PM
Just throwing this in here: anybody who loves late sixties/early seventies Floyd and doesn't also love the Flaming Lips (especially early Lips) is crazy. I've said this many times before: I think the Lips are this generation's Pink Floyd.

royalfan5
9/15/2008, 06:29 PM
Just throwing this in here: anybody who loves late sixties/early seventies Floyd and doesn't also love the Flaming Lips (especially early Lips) is crazy. I've said this many times before: I think the Lips are this generation's Pink Floyd.I tried to sell my Mom on the Lips that way except I claimed they were the Modern Moody Blues. I can say that know that there is no spek.

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 06:30 PM
Interesting comparison. Especially on the more recent stuff.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 06:37 PM
Just throwing this in here: anybody who loves late sixties/early seventies Floyd and doesn't also love the Flaming Lips (especially early Lips) is crazy. I've said this many times before: I think the Lips are this generation's Pink Floyd.
Really? It must be a matter of interpretation but I think Nine Inch Nails or to a lesser extent Primus is the 21'st century Pink Floyd.

I

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 06:43 PM
7JOOhanQGlk

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:09 PM
wMBp34lS3Jo

SoonerProphet
9/15/2008, 07:11 PM
Really? It must be a matter of interpretation but I think Nine Inch Nails or to a lesser extent Primus is the 21'st century Pink Floyd.

I

Heh, Claypool's Frog Brigade does a helluva cover of Animals on their live set.

I'd like to submit The Mars Volta as some Floydish proggy goodness.

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:14 PM
7JOOhanQGlk

That is cool how he projects things off his ballz. :D

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:14 PM
Q9pRa9W832E

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:16 PM
KWEnRi4P7O8

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:18 PM
Jed....

The "The Flaming Lips Live @ Pukkelpop 2008" video. I believe that is a nekkid woman....but did I see two folks in bunny suits fighting each other? :D

Shouldn't they give piece a chance?

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:20 PM
Alright, I'm done fagging up a Wright R.I.P. thread with Lips stuff, but just making the point that it is hard not to see the Floyd influence. Especially if you ever attend one of their shows, which aspires to Animals or The Wall era showmanship.

Basically they are/were both studio-heavy innovators who also try/tried to take live shows to an entirely different level.

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:20 PM
Tunnels and missles and ballz....

What are they trying to say? :D

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:21 PM
Q9pRa9W832E

No longer available.

FAIL! :(

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:21 PM
Nekkid is totally possible at one of those shows.

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I think YouTube is down or something. I can't even hit the main page right now. Can you?

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:26 PM
Nekkid is totally possible at one of those shows.

I wouldn't have given them the time of day if you hadn't persisted in spreading the lips all over the Oval.

Thanks Jed. I can't say I like all of their material but I do understand why they are so popular and I do enjoy how they have resurged some of the old rock shows with new technology.

ST

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I think YouTube is down or something. I can't even hit the main page right now. Can you?

It's all good here.

I had to reboot our whole AT&T U-Verse system awhile ago though.

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:29 PM
Well, which Lips do you not like? It's entirely possible that you dislike one iteration and would love another. Truly, they have gone through 3-4 radical changes in direction over the past 25 years.

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:43 PM
One Million Billionth Millisecond on a Sunday Morning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JOOhanQGlk&eurl=http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120095&page=2)

The Wizard Turns On... The Giant Silver Flashlight And Puts On His Werewolf Moccasins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBp34lS3Jo&eurl=http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120095&page=2)

One More Robot / Sympathy 3000-21 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0i3z4G8RAg) (not the original vid I originally posted, but cool)

All We Have is Now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pRa9W832E)

Try going straight to the vids on YouTube.

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 07:47 PM
Well, which Lips do you not like? It's entirely possible that you dislike one iteration and would love another. Truly, they have gone through 3-4 radical changes in direction over the past 25 years.

I think I lean towards the Live footage and their videos.

I put some of their stuff on the IPOD and don't find myself listening to them like I would Pink Floyd.

They seem to be better experienced by me with audio and video.

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:52 PM
Which stuff do you have on your iPod? Srsly. Let me see what FL you're working with, name a few of your favorite bands, and I'll burn you something totally different that you might like.

BigRedJed
9/15/2008, 07:52 PM
And no, I am not on their payroll.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 08:07 PM
The Wizard Turns On... The Giant Silver Flashlight And Puts On His Werewolf Moccasins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBp34lS3Jo&eurl=http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120095&page=2).

Wow, you may have apoint here.

Big Red Ron
9/15/2008, 09:31 PM
People have no rspek for talent.