PDA

View Full Version : Funniest/Weakest smack heard in Seattle

colleyvillesooner
9/15/2008, 02:49 PM
Oklahoma?! I read about you guys in the Grapes of Wrath!

virginiasooner
9/15/2008, 03:03 PM
And if Steinbeck hadn't written that masterpiece, would we have the mighty juggernaut that is Oklahoma football? George Lynn Cross wanted to create a positive image for the state after the Dust Bowl (and that book).

1890MilesToNorman
9/15/2008, 03:05 PM

The characters in the grapes of wrath were the ancestors of the USC Trojans!!!

OUMallen
9/15/2008, 03:08 PM

Haha, so true. What is it Will Rogers said- when those Okies left Oklahoma for California, the IQ of both states went up? :texan:

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 03:25 PM
Go back to your tipi.

Jacie
9/15/2008, 04:39 PM

Jacie
9/15/2008, 04:41 PM

The ancestors of the condoms were born in Mexico and Samoa . . .

jwlynn64
9/15/2008, 04:43 PM
I think that I heard someone say that the ancestors of the condoms were born in Mexico and Samoa. . .

Jeronimo
9/15/2008, 05:01 PM

Now they know how Oklahoma also plays football. Dont think they want us back anymore.

soonerpike697
9/15/2008, 05:04 PM

I had a guy tell me my pollo shirt was plain and boring, my rebuttle was so is your mother, he didn't seem to mind/understand the dig because he just stood there dumb-founded and ****housed...

Boarder
9/15/2008, 05:10 PM
You have a shirt made of chicken?

soonerpike697
9/15/2008, 05:45 PM

Yeah I didn't think it was plain either...

Sooner98
9/15/2008, 05:59 PM
"Oklahoma, where NBA franchises go to die!"

Curly Bill
9/15/2008, 06:13 PM

:D heh

BoomerSoonerGoOU
9/15/2008, 06:58 PM
Go back to the Dust Bowl!

colleyvillesooner
9/15/2008, 07:38 PM
Oklahoma stole our basketball team so we're gonna steal their undefeated season.

You would've thought we were 8-0.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/15/2008, 08:09 PM
Some guy was seriously asking me how we could recruit so well to Norman being that it was in a desert!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/15/2008, 08:25 PM
Some guy was seriously asking me how we could recruit so well to Norman being that it was in a desert!

Tell him he has Lubbock and Norman confused.

tommieharris91
9/15/2008, 08:42 PM

When you live in Seattle, everywhere else is a desert.

KingBarry
9/16/2008, 04:58 AM

Well, when the shoe fits........ Actually, that is a pretty good question. A better question is how Udub can not recruit better to the beautiful Pacific Northwest?

nmsoonergirl
9/16/2008, 09:25 AM
We only met one mean UW fan...unfortunately, she was sitting right behind me. Fortunately, she left after the third quarter. Some of her comments:
"Their band is just as bad as the USC band...they play ALL THE TIME"
In the second quarter: "How classless! OU is ahead by 30 points and they are STILL throwing the ball down field"
And of course the ever popular "Well, I'd rather lose than have to live in OKLAHOMA"

In all fairness, everyone else was really, really nice and we had a great time.

SteelClip49
9/16/2008, 09:31 AM
When we were on a family vacation in Seattle/Vancouver in 1999...few locals complained how "hot" it was at 73 degrees with a little rain. Apparently they would die if they spent 1 minute in 112 degree temps in OKC in which we departed from.

badger
9/16/2008, 10:12 AM
Whenever anyone tried to start something, I turned on the video camera. I will have a compilation of this within the next few days after the jet lag leave on its connecting flight back to the west coast :mad:

Excerpts:

"(impersonating a texan, not an okie) We got ourselves an NBA basketball team. Yeeeeeehaw!"

"Cheaters! Cheaters! (why are you calling us cheaters?) Because you left too soon!"

Sooner24
9/16/2008, 11:36 AM
Did Seattle seem to have a rather lager homeless population and panhandlers or was it just me?

badger
9/16/2008, 11:44 AM
Did Seattle seem to have a rather lager homeless population and panhandlers or was it just me?

Lots of panhandlers... not sure if those "homeless guys" were really homeless or just professional hippies that don't like to cut their hair or shower regularly.

The panhandlers were probably professionals also. :rolleyes:

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2008, 11:45 AM
All my experiences with the UDub fans were good ones. In fact, we ate a The Keg in Bellevue after the game and the manager came up and said our food was going to get spit on but he'd wipe it off!
Then, with a smile, he brought over his 4 year-old son with eyes wide who was wearing full W regalia, pointed at us and said, "No, they aren't bad people...they are just wearing Wazzu colors."

Got asked about humidity. (this is strange because Seattle is the capital of humidity...I'm certain they meant heat)

Got asked what a Sooner is.

Got asked about the Sonics and the big "theft". When I pointed out to them (in several instances) that we had sold out of season tickets that very day, they all...to a person...just got quiet.

I've been to Seattle dozens of times...there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the locals' attitudes when the sun is out and it is warm, vs. when it is the typical Fall to Spring dreary. I had noticed that before and it was obvious this past incredibly-beautiful weekend.

BigRedJed
9/16/2008, 11:46 AM
Seattle and Portland both have very large homeless populations. Someone in Portland explained that to me once years ago, but I can't remember the exact reasons cited.

nmsoonergirl
9/16/2008, 11:47 AM
yeah, the "cheaters" thing came up a lot. I'm guessing their media must have done a million stories about "Sooners"

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2008, 12:09 PM
Seattle and Portland both have very large homeless populations. Someone in Portland explained that to me once years ago, but I can't remember the exact reasons cited.

BRJ, part of it is because of the more liberal-leaning local politics and some of the legislation aimed at protecting the disadvantaged in their community.

Part of it is the weather and the absence of overwhelming heat and cold extremes.

Finally, one of the main reasons is the free public transportation in the downtown areas of both cities (Seattle bus, Portland trolley)...this makes it easy for someone panhandling to get from their encampments on Pioneer Square or the shelter, to an area where people can be approached coming out of high-end shopping or eating establishments.

badger
9/16/2008, 12:13 PM

Here, I can splain:

High cost of living. They call it "coastal elite" for a reason.

BigRedJed
9/16/2008, 12:18 PM
So you're saying the high cost of living makes people there homeless? The way I understood it was that people travel from all over the country to join their homeless populations. Seattle and Portland are homeless meccas, with people making pilgrimages to live under bridges there.

badger
9/16/2008, 12:23 PM
So you're saying the high cost of living makes people there homeless? The way I understood it was that people travel from all over the country to join their homeless populations. Seattle and Portland are homeless meccas, with people making pilgrimages to live under bridges there.

Derp derp what??? Why would you wanna live in a rainy, cold atmosphere (even if it's under a bridge) when you could be sleeping outdoors without a blanket in the south, bridge or not?

One thing I did notice was all the notices on highways about disallowing hitchhiking, so you know that there must be some issues with homelessness there.

BigRedJed
9/16/2008, 12:32 PM
Badger, you can't seriously believe that homelessness is typically a result of living costs, can you? There are generally always other much more significant factors at work; substance abuse, mental illness, social ills, economic downturn, community policies that make it easy to thrive in that environment, whatever.

Since average income and cost of living are generally tied directly to one another, if you're working somewhere you can probably also manage to live there. Somehow. Roomies, whatever. Homelessness is NOT a cost of living issue.

And yeah, people travel from other parts of the country to live on the streets of other cities. They chase a certain "scene," have heard the living is easier somewhere, the people are more generous, the social services are better, the drugs are more plentiful, the cops are more forgiving. It happens all of the time.

badger
9/16/2008, 12:42 PM
There are generally always other much more significant factors at work; substance abuse, mental illness, social ills, economic downturn, community policies that make it easy to thrive in that environment, whatever.
Hmmm... in Seattle... hmm...

n8v_ndn
9/16/2008, 02:16 PM
Pregame:
"Who the hell goes to OU?!"
"Who's the 2nd best athlete on the field, after Montlake Jake??"

Postgame:
"We'll take care of you in Dallas in a couple of weeks" (from a guy claiming to be a longhorn).

"At least we beat Boise State!"

Collier11
9/16/2008, 02:26 PM
Had a drunk guy booeing and yelling that Clay Bennett was a POS so I told him that if he hates him now, wait til we leave with the mariners...he actually was offended by me saying that. I thought it was funny

Collier11
9/16/2008, 02:29 PM
It was amazing how dumb they were regarding the Sonics deal, Schultz really had them fooled. I had people arguing with me that Schultz cared about the city and the team

badger
9/16/2008, 03:18 PM
Had a drunk guy booeing and yelling that Clay Bennett was a POS so I told him that if he hates him now, wait til we leave with the mariners...he actually was offended by me saying that. I thought it was funny

Well, seeing how much Seattle supports losing causes (they don't, cept for the fans that showed up to U-Dub and woofed like a husky, hehe), we should have the Mariners in the time it takes OKC to build a new stadium.

Lol @ him being offended. People can be offended at anything you say these days. It's part of the freedom to be offended act or something. :rolleyes:

UberSooner
9/16/2008, 03:26 PM

That made me laugh, took me a sec, but then made me laugh.

1890MilesToNorman
9/16/2008, 03:36 PM
Having lived in Massachusetts for 13 years I can tell you some of these panhandlers have it quite nice! For some of them it is a job and when they are done they go back to some nice homes. Cash is king, offer them a job and it is "no thank you". The bleeding hearts make the American dream come true for these folks. Don't be a sucker.

TahoeSOONER
9/16/2008, 03:38 PM
I was down by Lake Washington, where the boats pull into the stadium, and one of the OU fans I was with asked a Husky fan the easiest way to get out of the stadium area. The Husky fan said over the lake there was a bridge. He said we OU fans think we can walk on water but it's best to take a boat to the bridge....made me laugh. I added we will be walking on water in Miami soon enough....BOOMER!

stoopified
9/16/2008, 04:37 PM
Haha, so true. What is it Will Rogers said- when those Okies left Oklahoma for California, the IQ of both states went up? :texan:
**spek* I had forgotten that little quip.

badger
9/16/2008, 04:49 PM
My husband noted that most Warshington fans were very... sad. They had no hope of winning. They all expected to lose. The trash talking was just the alcohol and the bitterness over not having success since the sweater vested Neuheisel left down. There was angst, but there was no rage. There was pride, but there was far more shame. There was coastal elitism, but coupled with inferiority. There were jerseys worn, but no jerseys popped in our general direction. There was cheering for the team, but no confidence.

It was like we were playing Baylor in Seattle :D

swardboy
9/16/2008, 06:25 PM

Heck, eastern Washington IS a desert.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/17/2008, 12:16 PM
My husband noted that most Warshington fans were very... sad. They had no hope of winning. They all expected to lose. The trash talking was just the alcohol and the bitterness over not having success since the sweater vested Neuheisel left down. There was angst, but there was no rage. There was pride, but there was far more shame. There was coastal elitism, but coupled with inferiority. There were jerseys worn, but no jerseys popped in our general direction. There was cheering for the team, but no confidence.

It was like we were playing Baylor in Seattle :D

Bingo, the same here. The guy behind me was taking bets as to when he would start booing...He wants Willingham gone and one booster guy I talk to said it was already a done deal. I just said based on our experience, be careful what you wish for...

Oh, Mrs. THA thought the stadium reminded her of a larger Baylor stadium.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/17/2008, 12:17 PM
Heck, eastern Washington IS a desert.

I said Oklahoma was on a prairie, not desert, he said "same difference". I think he was just sad for the beat down coming...

badger
9/17/2008, 12:47 PM
Bingo, the same here. The guy behind me was taking bets as to when he would start booing...He wants Willingham gone and one booster guy I talk to said it was already a done deal. I just said based on our experience, be careful what you wish for...

Oh, Mrs. THA thought the stadium reminded her of a larger Baylor stadium.
Ja, cycling through coaches quickly is never a good thing. Sometimes it's better to just go the course and stick it out rather than listening to FIRE <insert current coach's name here> NOW pleas from alums.

Examples of both:

Auburn stuck with Tubby even though a national coverboy year was turning sour (the year we went to Bama, 2003, when the crowd there cheered yet another Auburn loss). A few years later, they were the "people's national champion" in 2005... well, at least they won the SEC and went undefeated.

A&M cannot be satisfied with any coaches as of late. These past few seasons are proving that unlike most Aggie perceptions, they truly care about more than simply beating Texas in the annual football game; they want to beat Texas in all respects, from bowl tiers to recruiting to national attention.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/18/2008, 12:41 AM
Overheard today in a discussion on the elevator to the Seattle Space Needle: "Washington has the prettiest uniforms in college football." My reply to her was "Boomer Sooner".

yermom
9/18/2008, 01:52 AM
at the Seahawks game i got a "wow, your gay" in response to my OU jersey

seeing that he was a moron, i'm sure that's how he would have spelled it :D

Jacie
9/18/2008, 05:53 AM
Anyone who has lived and worked in a major metropolitarian place knows all about panhandlers and homeless people. Moving from Norman to Dallas was an eye opener for me. I quickly adopted the attitude that it was not my job to support the people (mostly men) who approached me to "borrow" some money. I had some tense moments but I was prepared to go to jail if it meant keeping some free loaders hands off of me.

BigRedJed
9/18/2008, 09:13 AM
I said Oklahoma was on a prairie, not desert, he said "same difference". I think he was just sad for the beat down coming...
PART of Oklahoma is prairie. This state is actually one of the most biodiverse in the U.S. We also have a small desert. Or at least a place with lots of sand dunes.

badger
9/18/2008, 09:36 AM
at the Seahawks game i got a "wow, your gay" in response to my OU jersey

I thought Seattle embraced that type of behavior, but hey, just add a big ol' NTTAWWT and you can say whatever the hell ya want about other people! :rolleyes:

For example, yermon is a big fat phony like Peter Griffin... NTTAWWT. ;)

yermom
9/18/2008, 09:51 AM
Peter Griffin is a phony?

badger
9/18/2008, 10:10 AM
Peter Griffin is a phony?
(Peter Griffin pretends to play a keyboard that is already playing itself)
My God, that’s amazing! You are so talented.
(Dude realizes that the piano is playing itself)
Wait a second! Something’s not right here. You were just making it look like you were playing. You’re a phony. Hey, this guy’s a great big phony! Hey, you’re a great big phony you know that?
(Goes to his house)
http://www.offeroftheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/phony_house.jpg
Hey, you know who lives in this house!? A GREAT BIG PHONY! That’s right, a phony lives here. A BIG FAT PHONY!
http://www.offeroftheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/holden_spraypaint.gif
:D

TheHumanAlphabet
9/20/2008, 10:22 AM
PART of Oklahoma is prairie. This state is actually one of the most biodiverse in the U.S. We also have a small desert. Or at least a place with lots of sand dunes.

Yeah, well if he thought the state was a desert, I doubt if he would have gotten anything more than "prairie" if you know what I mean...