PDA

View Full Version : BBS really stove up...

TheHumanAlphabet
9/15/2008, 02:14 PM
I was surprised to see how lame (not walking well) BBS is. He could barely get around with a cane. I wasn't aware he had such difficulty. Looks to be either a hip or knee issue. I wonder how he got to the press box Saturday with that convoluted cat walk and walkway to the perch under the roof...

boomermagic
9/15/2008, 02:38 PM
I really hate to hear that. I like Bob although he should probably retire because he just can't do it anymore.. I remember listening to Bob and Jack Ogle when i was about 10 years old maybe younger..

Jeronimo
9/15/2008, 05:15 PM
met BBS at oregon while waiting for hotel rooms to open up. I felt like I knew him already because I heard him so much. Classy man. even if he slips up on gamedays.

sooner59
9/15/2008, 09:15 PM
I know alot of people don't like him, but at my age (24), I can't imagine listening to a game called by someone other than him and Merv. I usually bring my portable radio to the game so I can listen to the play-by-play during offense. Im yelling too loud to hear it on defense.

DrZaius
9/16/2008, 12:18 AM
I know alot of people don't like him, but at my age (24), I can't imagine listening to a game called by someone other than him and Merv. I usually bring my portable radio to the game so I can listen to the play-by-play during offense. Im yelling too loud to hear it on defense.

I don't think there are a lot of people that don't like him. You may be swayed by most of the tools on this board but that reps a very small percentage of Sooner fans. It is sad to hear that he is having difficulties getting around. He has called games since I have been alive and I would be truly sad if anything were to happen to him. Anyone who would say otherwise would not be a sooner fan in my eyes.

Be Safe BBS

SoonerJack
9/16/2008, 07:44 AM
My radio memories line up a little differently. John Brooks and Mike Treps were my play-by-play guys because BBS called the Cowboy games. So for me it is still a little weird hearing Bob call for OU. Merv's slow and low delivery has kinda grown on me.

owenfieldreams
9/16/2008, 08:34 AM
Not old enough to remember Curt Gowdy do OU radio but the original "Voice of Sooner Football" in my lifetime was Hal O'Halloran W/Jack Ogle doing the color. Then BBS came along w/Ogle, then Brooks/Treps& finally BBS back.

If I remember correctly, O'Halloran lost his job because he got carried away doing a live broadcast when Merrill Green got lose on a game winning TD run by saying "look at that son-of-a-bitch go".

I really liked BBS at his best & the Brooks/Treps team was excellent. BBS should retire but I certainly respect him & his place in OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL history.Being the "Voice of" @ a program like OU is a special job. I hope the next person has some real talent & is not the standard cookie cutter play-by-play man. There have been some great ones over the years @ Georgia, L.S.U., Alabama, Nebraska, etc. Each has had a unique style & identifiable phrasing that set them apart.