PDA

View Full Version : Please make it stop...

Okla-homey
9/14/2008, 07:25 PM
I'm usually not a grammar nazi. Far from it. But a couple things bother me.

One is use of the non-word "irregardless"...we'll save that for another rant.

The subject of this rant is TV guys' use of the word "decimate" to describe utter destruction.

decimate (v): to reduce by one tenth. etymology: Roman history. When a Roman military unit mutinied or disobeyed orders, they formed up the soldiers and pulled every tenth man for punishment. Usually death. The other 90% were returned to service.

During all this Ike coverage, I've heard reporter after reporter describe the the effects as "decimation" and/or "decimating" re Galveston. Dear journalists, it's either destruction or annihalation. Decimation is NOT what you get when you join destruction and annihalation. Your report would be accurate if Ike only wrecked one tenth of the city of Galveston. I don't think that's what you mean. So please stop it. kplzthx.

end rant.

proud gonzo
9/14/2008, 07:33 PM
heh

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 07:34 PM
I am with Homey on this message.

In fact...I would add a few things to the list: you're/your...two/to/too...

...the list for me is so long that it makes my brain ache. :(

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 07:35 PM
Sounds like it's mostly the principal of the thing for you. Well, FWIW, your opinion jives with my own. That has never went over well with me either. Way to throw down the gantlet.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 07:35 PM
I can't believe I just typed that.

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 07:40 PM
How about misuse of the word "Literally?"

As in, "That play LITERALLY blew me away!"

No. It didn't.

LoyalFan
9/14/2008, 07:42 PM
Homey, you're echoing the rant I've been intoning since my college days. It seems the majority of those who speak and write proper English are those who studied it as a second language.
I'm horrified by the absolutely wretched grammar and spelling one finds on the major news channels so well as during local news broadcasts. Just read the crawlers beneath the talking crania and you won't wait long before a misspelled word or total malaprop appears.

LF

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 07:43 PM
Oh, God. Another one. A BIG one for me (lately, anyway).

PEAK MY INTEREST.

No. Nothing "PEAKS" your interest. It PIQUES your interest, moron. Your interest is not a mountain.

Okla-homey
9/14/2008, 07:46 PM
Oh, God. Another one. A BIG one for me (lately, anyway).

PEAK MY INTEREST.

No. Nothing "PEAKS" your interest. It PIQUES your interest, moron. Your interest is not a mountain.

Moreover, people sometimes quit their jobs in a fit of picque.

Rogue
9/14/2008, 07:47 PM
What burns me up is when people correct others incorrectly. ;)

Merriam Webster:
1: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of
2: to exact a tax of 10 percent from <poor as a decimated Cavalier — John Dryden>
3 a: to reduce drastically especially in number <cholera decimated the population>
4:to cause great destruction or harm to <firebombs decimated the city> <an industry decimated by recession>

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 07:50 PM
"I could care less."

"For all intensive purposes."

"You cease to amaze me."

"Let's flush out the details."

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 07:51 PM
Moreover, people sometimes quit their jobs in a fit of picque.
*sigh*

...a fit of PIQUE...

*/sigh*

;)

SoonerInKCMO
9/14/2008, 07:52 PM

Merriam Webster:

Eh. M-W is the same reference that states "kitty-corner" is an acceptable pronunciation of "catercorner". Dictionaries just reflect the most current common usage rather than establish correct usage.

Okla-homey
9/14/2008, 07:53 PM

Merriam Webster:

That third definition only slipped into Mr Webster's book because of morons' misuse of the term. One should also note that the definitions are listed in order of greatest accuracy. I refuse to accept decimate=utter destruction. Mssrs. Merriam and Webster can kiss my Okie publicly educated buttocks.

Okla-homey
9/14/2008, 07:54 PM
Eh. M-W is the same reference that states "kitty-corner" is an acceptable pronunciation of "catercorner". Dictionaries just reflect the most current common usage rather than establish correct usage.

Harrumph!!!:D

I'd spek you but my spekker no longer functions.

Rogue
9/14/2008, 07:56 PM
I hope the Eagles loose tomorrow.

Okla-homey
9/14/2008, 07:56 PM
"I could care less."

"You cease to amaze me."

Let's not forget the classic "I could care less."

Rogue
9/14/2008, 07:57 PM
Dictionaries just reflect the most current common usage rather than establish correct usage.

That's because language evolves. Old d00ds try to keep up, would ya. :cool:

Okla-homey
9/14/2008, 07:58 PM
That's becasue language evolves. Old d00ds try to keep up, would ya. :cool:

holla!

GottaHavePride
9/14/2008, 07:59 PM
Sounds like it's mostly the principal of the thing for you. Well, FWIW, your opinion jives with my own. That has never went over well with me either. Way to throw down the gantlet.

According to the Columbia Guide to Standard English:

A gauntlet is “a heavy glove, often armored” or “a glove with a heavy cuff covering part of the arm.” To throw down the gauntlet is to challenge someone; to pick up the gauntlet is to accept someone’s challenge. A gantlet is “a lane between two lines of people armed with staves or whips, through which someone being punished is forced to run while being clubbed or whipped by the people on either side” (run the gantlet) and, figuratively, “any series of trials and difficulties.” To complicate matters, each is a variant spelling of the other.

Heh.

Rogue
9/14/2008, 08:00 PM
...I refuse to accept...
That's really the issue here.
Your refusin' it doesn't make it wrong.

GottaHavePride
9/14/2008, 08:01 PM
Just because it's a theme song don't make it not true...

Okla-homey
9/14/2008, 08:02 PM
That's really the issue here.
Your refusin' it doesn't make it wrong.

Is there no end to your moral relativism?;)

I should think NAMBLA applies precisely the same "logic" to justify their shenanigans.

SoonerInKCMO
That's because language evolves. Old d00ds try to keep up, would ya. :cool:

:les: THEM PUNKS NEED TO STAY OUTTA MY YARD!!

Seriously though, I understand and agree with how dictionaries are meant to reflect evolving usage.

:les: BUT GODDAMMIT "KITTY-CORNER" IS JUST ****ING WRONG!!!!

LosAngelesSooner
alternately / alternatively
Alternately is an adverb that means in turn; one after the other: “We alternately spun the wheel in the game.” Alternatively is an adverb that means on the other hand; one or the other: “You can choose a large bookcase or, alternatively, you can buy two small ones.”

disinterested / uninterested
Disinterested is an adjective that means unbiased or impartial: “We appealed to the disinterested mediator to facilitate the negotiations.” Uninterested is an adjective that means not interested or indifferent: “They seemed uninterested in our offer.”

elicit / illicit
Elicit is a verb that means to draw out. Illicit is an adjective meaning unlawful. “No matter how hard I tried to elicit a few scandalous stories from her, she kept all knowledge of illicit goings-on discreetly to herself. ”

figuratively / literally
Figuratively is an adverb that means metaphorically or symbolically: “Happening upon the shadowy figure, they figuratively jumped out of their shoes.” Literally is an adverb that means actually: “I'm not exaggerating when I say I literally fell off my chair.” It also means according to the exact meaning of the words: “I translated the Latin passage literally.”

hanged / hung
Hanged is the past tense and past participle of hang when the meaning is to execute by suspending by the neck: “They hanged the prisoner for treason.” “The convicted killer was hanged at dawn.” Hung is the past tense and participle of hang when the meaning is to suspend from above with no support from below: “I hung the painting on the wall.” “The painting was hung at a crooked angle.”

i.e. / e.g.
The abbreviation e.g. means for example (from Latin exempli gratia): “Her talents were legion and varied (e.g., deep sea diving, speed reading, bridge, and tango dancing).” The abbreviation i.e. means that is or in other words (from Latin id est): “The joy of my existence (i.e., my stamp collection) imbues my life with meaning.”

it's / its
It's is a contraction for it is, whereas its is the possessive form of it: “It's a shame that we cannot talk about its size.”

nonplussed
Meaning perplexed or bewildered, nonplussed is very often thought to mean just the opposite—calm, unruffled, cool-as-a-cucumber. A common mistake is to think the word means not “plussed,” but no such word exists. Nonplussed originates from the Latin non (no) and plus (more, further), and means a state in which no more can be done—one is so perplexed that further action is impossible. “The lexicographer grew increasingly agitated and nonplussed by the frequency with which she noted the misuse of nonplussed.”

penultimate
Meaning “next to last,” penultimate is often mistakenly used to mean “the very last,” or the ultimate: “The perfectionist was crestfallen when he was awarded the penultimate prize; the grand prize went to another.”

principal / principle
Principal is a noun that means a person who holds a high position or plays an important role: “The school principal has 20 years of teaching experience.” Principal is also an adjective that means chief or leading: “The necessity of moving to another city was the principal reason I turned down the job offer.” Principle is a noun that means a rule or standard: “They refused to compromise their principles.”

their / there / they're
Their is the possessive form of they; there refers to place; and they're is the contraction of they are. “They're going there because their mother insisted they become proficient in Serbo-Croatian.”

your / you're
Your is the possessive form of you; you're is the contraction you are. “If you're planning on swimming, then be sure to bring your life vest and flippers.”

Rogue
Is there no end to your moral relativism?;)

It's the beauty of bein' a dirty lib. :D

Rogue
9/14/2008, 08:03 PM
LAS, do affect/effect

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 08:04 PM
"I could care less."

"You cease to amaze me."

Let's not forget the classic "I could care less."

LOL

Uhm...okay. Let's not.
:D

SoonerInKCMO
9/14/2008, 08:04 PM
This page (http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html) has a whole bunch of 'em.

Okla-homey
9/14/2008, 08:05 PM
LAS, do affect/effect

Easy peazy japaneezy. affect is a verb. effect is a noun.

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 08:07 PM
LAS, do affect/effect
affect / effect
Effect is usually a noun that means a result or the power to produce a result: “The sound of the falling rain had a calming effect, nearly putting me to sleep.” Affect is usually a verb that means to have an influence on: “His loud humming was affecting my ability to concentrate.” Note that effect can also be a verb meaning to bring about or execute: “The speaker's somber tone effected a dampening in the general mood of the audience.”

lexsooner
9/14/2008, 08:09 PM
What about a plea to lessen grammatical errors, especially punctuation mistakes. I saw a thread titled "Obamas new slogan." The message associated with this thread was also full of grammatical mistakes. It really takes away some of the credibility of the poster when he or she makes these mistakes. These errors remind me of those protesters in the 1970s with signs stating "Stop Bussing!" Were they opposed to kissing or something?

Rogue
9/14/2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks LAS. Hanging around so many mental health types, we use 'affect' as a noun pretty often too.

Rogue
9/14/2008, 08:14 PM

It trips me up.

lexsooner
9/14/2008, 08:15 PM
I'm usually not a grammar nazi. Far from it. But a couple things bother me.

One is use of the non-word "irregardless"...we'll save that for another rant.

The subject of this rant is TV guys' use of the word "decimate" to describe utter destruction.

decimate (v): to reduce by one tenth. etymology: Roman history. When a Roman military unit mutinied or disobeyed orders, they formed up the soldiers and pulled every tenth man for punishment. Usually death. The other 90% were returned to service.

During all this Ike coverage, I've heard reporter after reporter describe the the effects as "decimation" and/or "decimating" re Galveston. Dear journalists, it's either destruction or annihalation. Decimation is NOT what you get when you join destruction and annihalation. Your report would be accurate if Ike only wrecked one tenth of the city of Galveston. I don't think that's what you mean. So please stop it. kplzthx.

end rant.

Homey, its really to bad. Homeys warnings has gone unwarranted. These bad grammerers has decimated this webcite. Its no wonder you stick around, because there isn't nothing you can learn from thems. Oh, and stop Bussing!

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 08:17 PM
Insure/ensure.

SoonerInKCMO
9/14/2008, 08:19 PM
Ensure is that drink for old people.

Mixer!
9/14/2008, 09:20 PM
"I could care less."

"You cease to amaze me."

I couldn't care less

For all intents and purposes

You fail to amaze me (or it's a question of verb tense):
You have ceased to amaze me

Let's flesh out the details

buzzer down - what's my score?

soonerboomer93
9/14/2008, 09:21 PM
Kanye West says strawberry ensure is da bomb and decimates all

King Crimson
9/14/2008, 09:23 PM
Sam Bradford is a dominate quarterback.

Texas fans are dillusional.

that's rediculous.

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 09:26 PM
To and too seem to mess me up.

Always has.

40+ years of misuse has just become an "I don't give a poop" attitude.

Mixer!
9/14/2008, 09:33 PM
"He got debacled!"

[/Emmitt Smith] ;)

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 10:32 PM
I couldn't care less

For all intents and purposes

You fail to amaze me (or it's a question of verb tense):
You have ceased to amaze me

Let's flesh out the details

buzzer down - what's my score?3 out of 4.

The correct answer to number 3 is "You NEVER cease to amaze me." ;)

soonerscuba
9/14/2008, 10:40 PM
I guess your implying you don't like the way people use words, irregardless of what the dictionary says.

SCOUT
9/14/2008, 10:45 PM
Kanye West says strawberry ensure is da bomb and decimates all

I don't really have a problem the respect feature being turned off, but this is an example that affects/effects ;) me. I laughed out loud and would like soonerboomer to know that but I don't think the rest of you yahoos "could care less."

Sooner Schemer
9/14/2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.school-house-rock.com/

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 11:03 PM
Supposed to: Do not omit the d. Suppose to is incorrect.

Used to: Same as above. Do not write use to.

Toward: There is no s at the end of the word.

Anyway: Also has no ending s. Anyways is nonstandard.

All walks of life: Not woks of life. This phrase does not apply to oriental cooking.

Chest of drawers: Not chester drawers.

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 11:05 PM
Lie, Lay:
Lie is an intransitive verb meaning to recline or rest on a surface. Its principal parts are lie, lay, lain. Lay is a transitive verb meaning to put or place. Its principal parts are lay, laid. Hint: Chickens lay eggs. I lie down when I am tired.

Set, Sit:
Set is a transitive verb meaning to put or to place. Its principal parts are set, set, set. Sit is an intransitive verb meaning to be seated. Its principal parts are sit, sat, sat. She set the dough in a warm corner of the kitchen. The cat sat in the warmest part of the room.

Who, Which, That:

Do not use which to refer to persons. Use who instead. That, though generally used to refer to things, may be used to refer to a group or class of people. I just saw a boy who was wearing a yellow banana costume. I have to go to math next, which is my hardest class. Where is the book that I was reading?

SCOUT
9/14/2008, 11:11 PM
Maybe you could just post the link.

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 11:16 PM
Accept, Except:

Accept is a verb meaning to receive. Except is usually a preposition meaning excluding. I will accept all the packages except that one. Except is also a verb meaning to exclude. Please except that item from the list.

Affect, Effect:
Affect is usually a verb meaning to influence. Effect is usually a noun meaning result. The drug did not affect the disease, and it had several adverse side effects. Effect can also be a verb meaning to bring about. Only the president can effect such a dramatic change.

Allusion, Illusion:
An Allusion is an indirect reference. An illusion is a misconception or false impression. Did you catch my allusion to Shakespeare? Mirrors give the room an illusion of depth.

Capital, Capitol:

Capital refers to a city, capitol to a building where lawmakers meet. Capital also refers to wealth or resources. The capitol has undergone extensive renovations. The residents of the state capital protested the development plans.

Climactic, Climatic:
Climactic is derived from climax, the point of greatest intensity in a series or progression of events. Climatic is derived from climate; it refers to meteorological conditions. The climactic period in the dinosaurs' reign was reached just before severe climatic conditions brought on the ice age.

Elicit, Illicit:
Elicit is a verb meaning to bring out or to evoke. Illicit is an adjective meaning unlawful. The reporter was unable to elicit information from the police about illicit drug traffic.

Emigrate from, Immigrate to:
Emigrate means to leave one country or region to settle in another. In 1900, my grandfather emigrated from Russia. Immigrate means to enter another country and reside there. Many Mexicans immigrate to the U.S. to find work.

Hints:
Emigrate begins with the letter E, as does Exit. When you emigrate, you exit a country.

Immigrate begins with the letter I, as does In. When you immigrate, you go into a country

Principle, Principal:
Principal is a noun meaning the head of a school or an organization or a sum of money. Principle is a noun meaning a basic truth or law. The principal taught us many important life principles.

Hint:

To recognize the spelling of Principal first think of yourself as a greedy opportunist. You definitely would want to be a pal of anyone who is in a position of power or anything to do with money. This principal has pal in it.

Than, Then:
Than is a conjunction used in comparisons; then is an adverb denoting time. That pizza is more than I can eat. Tom laughed, and then we recognized him.

Hints:

Than is used to compare; both words have the letter a in them.

Then tells when; both are spelled the same, except for the first letter.

There, Their, They're:

There is an adverb specifying place; it is also an expletive. Adverb: Sylvia is lying there unconscious. Expletive: There are two plums left. Their is a possessive pronoun. They're is a contraction of they are. Fred and Jane finally washed their car. They're later than usual today.

Hints:

If you are using there to tell the reader where, both words have h-e-r-e. Here is also a place.

If you are using their as a possessive pronoun, you are telling the reader what
"they own. Their has h-e-i-r, which also means heir, as in someone who inherits something. Both words have to do with ownership.
They're is a contraction of they are. Sound out they are in the sentence and see if it works. If it does not, it must be one of the previous versions.

To, Too, Two:
To is a preposition; too is an adverb; two is a number. Too many of your shots slice to the left, but the last two were right on the mark.

Hints:

If you are trying to spell out the number, it is always t-w-o. Two has a w which is the first letter in word. The opposite of word is number.

Too is usually used as also when adding or including some additional information. Whenever you want to include something else, think of it as adding; therefore you
also need to add an extra o.

Your, You're:

Your is a possessive pronoun; you're is a contraction of you are. You're going to catch a cold if you don't wear your coat.
Hints:
Sound out you are in the sentence. If it works in the sentence it can be written as
you're. If it sounds awkward, it is probably supposed to be Your.
EXAMPLE: You're shoes are muddy. "You are shoes are muddy" does not work, so
it should be written as: Your shoes are muddy

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 11:20 PM
Maybe you could just post the link.
Some of these are from other pages. Others are ones I've written myself.

I'm pretty derned anal when it comes to this stuff.

tommieharris91
9/14/2008, 11:29 PM

I fail to see the affect of this post. ;)

tommieharris91
9/14/2008, 11:31 PM
All walks of life: Not woks of life. This phrase does not apply to oriental cooking.

I might could use this a lot more.

LosAngelesSooner
9/14/2008, 11:54 PM
I do what I can to contribute to the betterment of this board and all who enjoy it.

;)

:D

BudSooner
9/15/2008, 06:52 AM
Damn, everyone seems to have alot of hate for John Madden all of a sudden.

On another note, heh, I have a supervisor who tells me to "NOTATE every account" I work on.

I just chalk that up to his aggy education.

AlbqSooner
9/15/2008, 06:59 AM
I just chalk that up to his aggy education.

An aggy education is better then no education. ;)

jkjsooner
9/15/2008, 09:07 AM
It seems the majority of those who speak and write proper English are those who studied it as a second language.

Well, they do have somewhat of an advantage. They don't have to overcome years of being inundated with incorrect usage.

Think about the people who grew up in a "I seen" or "I done" household. After 10 years of that I'm not sure it really matters how intelligent you are. You are going to have a tough mountain to climb.

jkjsooner
9/15/2008, 09:11 AM
In fact...I would add a few things to the list: you're/your...two/to/too...

I disagree with this. I would say a large percentage of these mistakes are made by people who know the correct use. Anyone who has taken a typing course knows that you become hard-wired to type out sounds and when typing really fast your fingers sometimes type the wrong one. I do it all the time. Sometimes I proof my posts and catch it; Sometimes I do not.

Sure, we could all go back and proof our posts but this is a message board not a scholarly journal.

Mixer!
9/15/2008, 09:44 AM
Used to: Same as above. Do not write use to.

Let's see what the O'Jays say. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Av11ZuSdoo

LosAngelesSooner
9/15/2008, 02:33 PM
I disagree with this. I would say a large percentage of these mistakes are made by people who know the correct use. Anyone who has taken a typing course knows that you become hard-wired to type out sounds and when typing really fast your fingers sometimes type the wrong one. I do it all the time. Sometimes I proof my posts and catch it; Sometimes I do not.

Sure, we could all go back and proof our posts but this is a message board not a scholarly journal.But, when properly pronounced, you're and your don't sound the same either...

Okla-homey
9/15/2008, 05:13 PM
But, when properly pronounced, you're and your don't sound the same either...

Wrong.

watch yer cornhole d00d.

Yer the purtiest convict I ever did see.

exactly the same. ;)

Mixer!
9/15/2008, 05:20 PM
Because a message board is a visual medium, correct spelling, word usage, sentence structure, etc. are a must if you want your viewpoints to be seriously considered.

Your audience can't hear your vocal inflections in what you're trying to convey, and not every message board has bold, italic, size, and font buttons to help you out. Like the commercial said, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

LosAngelesSooner
9/16/2008, 03:09 AM
Wrong.

watch yer cornhole d00d.

Yer the purtiest convict I ever did see.

exactly the same. ;)
No...I'm correct.

Just 'cause you don't WANT me to be right, doesn't mean that I'm wrong.

And just 'cause you have a hick accent, doesn't mean yer sayin' tha wurds raight. ;)

dolemitesooner
9/16/2008, 12:42 PM
tHIS THREAD ****ING BKLIOWS

LosAngelesSooner
9/16/2008, 02:39 PM
It represents all that you're not.

And all that you'll never be.

So sad...