PDA

View Full Version : No matter what we're in the Orange Bowl

Soonermagik
9/14/2008, 07:06 PM
Unless we really screw up and lose a bunch of games we're going to the orange bowl.

If we win out we most likely play SC.

If we drop one game, we will play in the plus one game in the Orange bowl. Trust me, they won't put us in the fiesta bowl for a 3rd year in a row.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:06 PM
Yay!

:D

bluedogok
9/14/2008, 07:08 PM
Guess I can book the trip now :rolleyes:

CatfishSooner
9/14/2008, 07:08 PM
f the fiesta..

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 07:12 PM
Let's not jinx this deal.

Lets worry about our revenge vs. TCU most importantly

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2008, 07:15 PM
holy jumping the gun batman! :gary:

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:16 PM

:texan:

85sooners
9/14/2008, 07:24 PM
:eek:

Widescreen
9/14/2008, 07:35 PM
And no matter what, Bob Stoops will be proclaimed Emperor of Oklahoma and his first decree will be to outlaw Stoolwater.

Curly Bill
9/14/2008, 07:49 PM
And no matter what, Bob Stoops will be proclaimed Emperor of Oklahoma and his first decree will be to outlaw Stoolwater.

Any chance he will bring back SPEK?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:51 PM
Any chance he will bring back SPEK?

just to neg this thread.

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 08:08 PM
HeH

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 08:16 PM
BCS title game is in Miami this year?

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 08:17 PM
BCS title game is in Miami this year?

Heh.

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 08:19 PM
Heh.

Would that be a yes or a no?

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 08:20 PM
Would that be a yes or a no?

Maybe

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 08:25 PM
Maybe

CK,

where is the BCS title game going to be played at the end of the season?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 08:27 PM
CK,

Kansas City.

Oklahoma vs Mizzou

StormySooner-IN
BCS Title game is in Miami.

So is the Orange Bowl.

Let's just go beat Bye State first.....one week at a time people. ;)

Soonermagik

Mark it down. ;) Seriously, our chances in South Florida look pretty good.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 08:28 PM
CK,

Miami.

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 08:30 PM
BCS Title game is in Miami.

So is the Orange Bowl.

Let's just go beat Bye State first.....one week at a time people. ;)

Thanks, SS.

I agree, one game at a time. We still got a long season in front of us. A lot can happen.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks, SS.

I agree, one game at a time. We still got a long season in front of us. A lot can happen.

Huh?

bri
9/14/2008, 08:32 PM
If we win out, then we will play in the BCS title game at Dolphins Stadium in lovely Miami, FL.

If we don't win out but still win the conference, we'll play in the Fiesta Bowl.

If we don't win out and don't win the conference, but end up in the BCS top 12 and the Orange Bowl loses one of their automatic qualifiers to the title game (highly unlikely), then there's a chance we play in the Orange Bowl.

So, basically, playing in the Orange Bowl would kind of suck.

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 08:35 PM
I can't believe anyone is even bringing it up.

bri
9/14/2008, 08:37 PM
Why, are you new here? :D

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 08:45 PM
Huh?

We--as in the 117 teams that play D-1 football

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 08:47 PM
Why, are you new here? :D

Here being the Football Forum?

Yes. :D

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 08:57 PM
I'm feeling a little pay back against TCU. Stoops is known for that.

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 09:00 PM
I'm feeling a little pay back against TCU. Stoops is known for that.

I'd like to see their fans leaving at halftime.

bluedogok
9/14/2008, 09:26 PM
If we win out, then we will play in the BCS title game at Dolphins Stadium in lovely Miami, FL.

If we don't win out but still win the conference, we'll play in the Fiesta Bowl.

If we don't win out and don't win the conference, but end up in the BCS top 12 and the Orange Bowl loses one of their automatic qualifiers to the title game (highly unlikely), then there's a chance we play in the Orange Bowl.

So, basically, playing in the Orange Bowl would kind of suck.
I think there is an outside shot that the Fiesta Bowl would try and pass OU off to one of the others since it would be the third year in a row. They might be worried about fan burnout on Glendale after the past two years.

bri
9/14/2008, 10:00 PM
No way that happens.

a) It's just too big of a PITA to pull that sort of move off
b) We still travel as well as anyone in the nation, and the whole "will OU blow it again this year?" aspect would draw extra attention to what is otherwise an easily overlooked game.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/15/2008, 12:09 AM
If say East Carolina runs the table and makes the BCS and we have one loss I see no way that the Fiesta is going to pass on OU and then take say Georgia instead. I could see it is say ND qualified because they would travel but even with the past losses OU fans travel.

KingBarry
9/15/2008, 04:30 AM
I agree with the assessment that we will not be in the Fiesta Bowl this year under any scenario.

OU was ticked off last year at playing again in Glendale.

No one and I mean no one wants to see OU play there again.

bri
9/15/2008, 07:06 AM
Do you people even understand how "automatic tie-ins" work? Not only the Fiesta's, but all the other bowls'? Trust me, the effort it would take to work out a trade between bowls makes all your scenarios laughable at best.

If we win the Big 12 but don't finish 1 or 2, we go to the Fiesta. Simple as that.

TexasLidig8r
9/15/2008, 08:48 AM
BCS teams appear to be getting in line.

From the Big XII... OU and Missouri. I see the winner in the championship game playing for the MNC, the other getting a BCS at large bid.

Pac 10... USC

SEC.. choose 2 from Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn.

Big Least... USF

ACC... meh.. who cares... maybe Clemson.

Big 10.. winner of the State Penn and Ohio State game with the other getting an at large bid.

Look out for BYU.. their offense looks scary good... hanging 59 on UCLA? Ouch.

so... the early season prediction....

MNC Game... Winner of OU/Mizzou, let's call it Mizzou vs. USC.
Orange... Clemson v. LSU
Sugar... Florida v. OU
Rose... BYU v. Penn St.
Fiesta... Ohio St. v. USF

Cotton Bowl looks to be a very good bowl this year... Alabama/Auburn v. Texas

Soonermagik
9/15/2008, 08:50 AM
Do you people even understand how "automatic tie-ins" work? Not only the Fiesta's, but all the other bowls'? Trust me, the effort it would take to work out a trade between bowls makes all your scenarios laughable at best.

If we win the Big 12 but don't finish 1 or 2, we go to the Fiesta. Simple as that.

Nope. The bowls reserve the right to switch between teams and will do so in order to get the biggest crowd.

OKLA21FAN
9/15/2008, 08:59 AM
Nope. The bowls reserve the right to switch between teams and will do so in order to get the biggest crowd.

oh my :gary:

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 09:56 AM
BCS teams appear to be getting in line.

From the Big XII... OU and Missouri. I see the winner in the championship game playing for the MNC, the other getting a BCS at large bid.

Pac 10... USC

SEC.. choose 2 from Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn.

Big Least... USF

ACC... meh.. who cares... maybe Clemson.

Big 10.. winner of the State Penn and Ohio State game with the other getting an at large bid.

Look out for BYU.. their offense looks scary good... hanging 59 on UCLA? Ouch.

so... the early season prediction....

MNC Game... Winner of OU/Mizzou, let's call it Mizzou vs. USC.
Orange... Clemson v. LSU
Sugar... Florida v. OU
Rose... BYU v. Penn St.
Fiesta... Ohio St. v. USF

Cotton Bowl looks to be a very good bowl this year... Alabama/Auburn v. Texas

Those are some pretty terrible estimates.

KingBarry
9/15/2008, 10:48 AM

They are not "automatic tie ins" anymore. (In fact, if the Rose Bowl didn't insist on living directly on the cutting edge of the 1950s, there wouldn't be any conference tie ins, at all.)

Today, there is much more flexibility among the BCS bowls, with the chance to make a lot of money being the driving factor. Hey, that almost sounds like America, no?

Believe me, President Dave, Joe C and Mr Stoops have all made it clear that they don't want to go back to Glendale. That alone makes them less attractive to a host. The Fiesta folks don't want anyone three years in a row for a lot of reasons.

Yeah, if there is no attractive alternative for the Fiesta, then a swap might not get worked out, but there are a lot of teams, and a lot of anti-Sooners-the-Fiesta feelings out there.

EstablishedSooner1967
9/15/2008, 11:14 AM
wow.... 3 games in with very mediocre schools....and you are talking OB... Let's do this one game at a time... Remember Colorado, Remember TT.... lets tap the break just a bit and enjoy the ride.

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 11:36 AM
wow.... 3 games in with very mediocre schools....and you are talking OB... Let's do this one game at a time... Remember Colorado, Remember TT.... lets tap the break just a bit and enjoy the ride.

Cincy was a pretty good team and we looked really good on the road vs an average team, unlike last year.

I think expectations should be set higher this year than last year...

Putting Texas Tech in there is pretty dumb. If Sam didn't get hurt chances are we would have won easily.

bri
9/15/2008, 11:40 AM
They are not "automatic tie ins" anymore. (In fact, if the Rose Bowl didn't insist on living directly on the cutting edge of the 1950s, there wouldn't be any conference tie ins, at all.)

Really? There aren't?

Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl
Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl
Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl
Pac-10 Conference-Rose Bowl
Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

Don't you people ever get tired of being wrong?

JLEW1818
9/15/2008, 11:43 AM
Cincy was a pretty good team and we looked really good on the road vs an average team, unlike last year.

Putting Texas Tech in there is pretty dumb. If Sam didn't get hurt chances are we would have won easily.

I've almost been in fights over that statement!! I agree.

The tech part.

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 11:47 AM
I've almost been in fights over that statement!! I agree.

The tech part.

bluedogok
9/15/2008, 12:27 PM
Really? There aren't?

Don't you people ever get tired of being wrong?

There is "flexibility" in the BCS now that didn't exist prior to the BCS era, how else did OU or Texas wind up in the Rose Bowl and Big 10/11 Champion Iowa and USC end up in the Orange Bowl? It isn't "locked in" like the old Big 8 to the Orange Bowl tie in. Strange things happen in the BCS at times, I think the issue is the bowl committees are contractually obligated to the BCS more than they are the conferences, as long as the conference champion gets in a BCS bowl, there isn't much of an issue then.

boomermagic
9/15/2008, 01:04 PM
There is a lot of football to be played.. We look really good but let's keep our shirts on..

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 01:07 PM
There is a lot of football to be played.. We look really good but let's keep our panties on..

You wear panties?

bri
9/15/2008, 02:27 PM
There is "flexibility" in the BCS now that didn't exist prior to the BCS era, how else did OU or Texas wind up in the Rose Bowl and Big 10/11 Champion Iowa and USC end up in the Orange Bowl? It isn't "locked in" like the old Big 8 to the Orange Bowl tie in. Strange things happen in the BCS at times, I think the issue is the bowl committees are contractually obligated to the BCS more than they are the conferences, as long as the conference champion gets in a BCS bowl, there isn't much of an issue then.

Sigh.

Okay, let's do this again. The BCS is made up of AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS (BCS conference champions, Notre Dame if they finish in the BCS top 8) and AT-LARGE TEAMS. OU and Texas played in the Rose Bowl in their respective years as AT-LARGE TEAMS because they DID NOT WIN THE BIG 12 yet were high enough in the final BCS rankings to be BCS-eligible. Both times, the Rose Bowl had an opening because one of their AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS (in this case, the Pac-10 and Big 10 champions) were playing in the national title game, therefore they had first pick of AT-LARGE TEAMS. Again, I refer you to the BCS rules:

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:

A. A team in the NCG;
B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;
C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same Conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

4. After steps No. 1, 2 and 3 have been completed, any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order:

A. The bowl played on the date nearest to the National Championship Game (for 2008, Orange Bowl) will pick first;
B. The bowl played on the date second-nearest to the National Championship Game (for 2008, Fiesta Bowl) will pick second;
C. The bowl hosting the game that is played in the time slot immediately after the Rose Bowl game (for 2008, Sugar Bowl) will pick third.
The rotation noted in paragraphs A, B and C is as follows:

January 2007 games: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta
January 2008 games: Orange, Fiesta, Sugar
January 2009 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange
January 2010 games: Orange, Fiesta, Sugar

All teams earning automatic berths must be selected.

Section 5 deals with the steps that have to be taken to "adjust" the matchups, but if you'll remember last year, it doesn't take much for such a move to get blocked, thus reinforcing my original point that while it IS possible the Fiesta could try and swap us with another bowl, it's highly unlikely.

I should really just go ahead and bookmark bcsfootball.org so it's handy next time one of you guys try and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. :D

bri
9/15/2008, 02:45 PM
It's a thing that you put in a book to keep your place when you quit reading and go do something that isn't gay. :D

StoopTroup
9/15/2008, 03:35 PM
What's a bookmark?

Don't listen to him...it's something Mozilla Gorilla uses.

bri
9/15/2008, 03:53 PM
I prefer Grape Ape, myself.

St. Louis Sooner
9/15/2008, 03:58 PM
is this thread for real?

soonerpike697
9/15/2008, 05:15 PM
Unless we really screw up and lose a bunch of games we're going to the orange bowl.

If we win out we most likely play SC.

If we drop one game, we will play in the plus one game in the Orange bowl. Trust me, they won't put us in the fiesta bowl for a 3rd year in a row.

I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, remember the Colorado debacle last year? That cost us a trip to the national championship...

birddog
9/15/2008, 05:45 PM
usc plays 1 ranked team the rest of the year (as of right now).

we play tech, texas, kansas, and possibly mizzou in the big 12 ccg, not to mention pickens high, nebraska, and at kstate.

that leaves one spot open for the bcs game because usc plays NO ONE. georgia will go down at some point. who knows about florida.

if we drop one during the season and then beat mizzou in the ccg, we may have a chance but we don't have any room for error like last year.

olevetonahill
9/16/2008, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, remember the Colorado debacle last year? That cost us a trip to the national championship...

But he has 7 Chickens Just count em ;)
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/36856/2/istockphoto_36856_eggs_in_a_basket.jpg

olevetonahill
9/16/2008, 06:22 AM
is this thread for real?

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg226/dixonclee/flatearth.jpg

Breadburner
9/16/2008, 07:21 AM
I can **** further than all of you.....

OUrules
9/16/2008, 09:03 AM
If we do end up in the OB for the NC game, I'm good 'cause I already have tixs!!

bri
9/16/2008, 09:26 AM
If you have Orange Bowl tickets, I hope you enjoy watching the ACC champ playing an at-large team.

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/16/2008, 10:21 AM
But he has 7 Chickens Just count em ;)
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/36856/2/istockphoto_36856_eggs_in_a_basket.jpg

i count "8" ;)

olevetonahill
9/16/2008, 02:09 PM
i count "8" ;)

Oh you lifted the Lil pecker up and Looked dint you .;)

SouthFortySooner
9/16/2008, 10:06 PM
This thread exemplifies why those annoying SEC gnats buzz around my head. Hate it, but, their right. They know with the parity in their conference not to cackle so loud after laying only 3 eggs. :cool:

olevetonahill
9/16/2008, 10:17 PM
I can't believe anyone is even bringing it up.

****in nOObs :rolleyes:

OUrules
9/17/2008, 08:01 AM
I have tickets to both games at the OB. And you are right Bri the the last 3 orange bowls, ACC vs. At large have sucked!!!