PDA

View Full Version : Let's stop all the whining about spek!

Big Red Ron
9/14/2008, 02:33 PM
We went about a decade here at SF.com without that feature and had a great time.

Was spek kinda fun? Sure.

I love SF.com with or without spek.

If the HMFIC thinks it's not worth the hassle then it isn't.

This is just a message board, spek here doesn't mean anything. Let it go and enjoy the banter.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 02:35 PM
Ok.

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2008, 02:36 PM
so can we whine and whining about spek? :pop:

Big Red Ron
9/14/2008, 02:39 PM
so can we whine and whining about spek? :pop:lol, you can do whatever you want. I just thought I'd throw out my opinion, since I seem to be in the minority and there are 20 or so threads lamenting it's loss. I wanted to start one going the ther way. I had a great time here without it.

SicEmBaylor
9/14/2008, 02:42 PM
I keep hitting the control panel button to see what very little personal validation I had received. Now it is just completely empty. :sigh: =(

Fraggle145
9/14/2008, 03:01 PM
heh.

Whet
9/14/2008, 03:05 PM
We went about a decade here at SF.com without that feature and had a great time.

Was spek kinda fun? Sure.

I love SF.com with or without spek.

If the HMFIC thinks it's not worth the hassle then it isn't.

This is just a message board, spek here doesn't mean anything. Let it go and enjoy the banter.

if we still had spek here, I would neg ya -just because. :P

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/14/2008, 03:16 PM
I keep hitting the control panel button to see what very little personal validation I had received. Now it is just completely empty. :sigh: =(Interesting that you call "ef off" messages personal validation.

Big Red Ron
9/14/2008, 03:22 PM
if we still had spek here, I would neg ya -just because. :P
Yeah, but see, I woulda negged ya back and then it would have been a personal deal for both of us. BTW-My neg hammer was as big as anyone's out side of a few others here and you would have lost. But see, there's my point in a nut shell.

Whet
9/14/2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah, but see, I woulda negged ya back and then it would have been a personal deal for both of us. BTW-My neg hammer was as big as anyone's out side of a few others here and you would have lost. But see, there's my point in a nut shell.
yeah, probably so.

But remember, those that brag bout the size of their speker .....

stoops the eternal pimp
9/14/2008, 03:35 PM
Good post BRR-STEP

Rogue
9/14/2008, 03:36 PM
No, thanks.

Big Red Ron
9/14/2008, 03:44 PM
yeah, probably so.

But remember, those that brag bout the size of their speker .....
I only mention it because it's not evident anymore.

My point is, I had a ton of spek (almost 10 million points) and could care less about it not being here.

Curly Bill
9/14/2008, 04:37 PM
No thanks. Taking away SPEK was an unjust and unwise decision. If it stays gone I'll keep mentioning it forever.

bri
9/14/2008, 05:41 PM
Heh, 10 million is a "ton"?

Tee hee!

Rogue
9/14/2008, 05:42 PM
Heh, 10 million was a "ton"?

Fixed

bri
9/14/2008, 06:18 PM
My favorite thing about doing away with the reputation feature is the unintentional consequences. Fer example, most of the pink panty meltdown over the decision is being fueled by posters who are fairly new, i.e. weren't around pre-reputation. Thus, their histrionics over something that more veteran posters always viewed as a novelty at most serves to widen the gap between the newer generation of SF.com posters and the old guard that has been through multiple iterations of the board.

So, to sum up, quit your bitchin', n00bstain. :D

LilSooner
9/14/2008, 06:20 PM

Tee hee!

I was thinking, "Isn't that cute, he thinks that 10 millions was a lot."

bri
9/14/2008, 06:22 PM
It's the you of spek hammers! :D

Big Red Ron
9/14/2008, 06:58 PM

Tee hee!Well, I mean a ton for a guy that isn't part of any clicks, doesn't have any trolls, or hasn't been a part of any spek orgy's.:D

You're right on about the old guard/new guard aspect. I think it's interesting to watch some of the relatively new peeps here that had a lot more than 10 Mill. that are so mad about this deal.

As someone else said, "This is Phil's house."

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:01 PM
Well, I mean a ton for a guy that isn't part of any clicks, doesn't have any trolls, or hasn't been a part of any spek orgy's.:D

You're right on about the old guard/new guard aspect. I think it's interesting to watch some of the relatively new peeps here that had a lot more than 10 Mill. that are so mad about this deal.

There is Cliques here?

:D

proud gonzo
9/14/2008, 07:31 PM
I was thinking, "Isn't that cute, he thinks that 10 millions was a lot."yeah... I was about to hit 50 million when Phil got rid of spek.

Curly Bill
9/14/2008, 07:39 PM

As if that hasn't been thrown out there eleventy-billion times here lately. :rolleyes:

Rogue
9/14/2008, 07:43 PM
I think what's funny is all the old old timers sucking up about it when you coulda just turned it off foryourself if you didn't like it.

Well, maybe that's not funny after all. It's just lame.

LilSooner
9/14/2008, 07:46 PM
yeah... I was about to hit 50 million when Phil got rid of spek.

Yeah, well you are just in a clique so that's the reason why you have so much spek.

CLIQUER!!!!!!11!

GottaHavePride
9/14/2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, now we're back to the OLD measuring stick...

Post count. ;)

proud gonzo
9/14/2008, 08:05 PM
oh HELL yes.

Rogue
9/14/2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah, well it was a good measuring stick before I lost so many on an old handle. :mad:

GottaHavePride
9/14/2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah. A lot of people did that way and on other board software. bri should still have about twice my post count, I think.

We could go by registration date, but pretty much everyone has the join date of the last software shift: October 03. Mine should be more like July 2001 or something.

bri
9/14/2008, 08:17 PM
yeah... I was about to hit 50 million when Phil got rid of spek.

Tee hee, 50 million. That's so cute!

As if that hasn't been thrown out there eleventy-billion times here lately. :rolleyes:

D'ya think maybe people are saying it 'cause it's true?

I think what's funny is all the old old timers sucking up about it when you coulda just turned it off foryourself if you didn't like it.

Well, maybe that's not funny after all. It's just lame.

"Sucking up"? Congratulations, you're the new Russell. :D

Rogue
9/14/2008, 08:20 PM
"Sucking up"? Congratulations, you're the new Russell. :D

Uh oh. :eek:

:texan:

bri
9/14/2008, 08:21 PM
Heh.

Enjoy hours of scalding hot showers, my friend. That kind of dirty don't wash off. ;)

Curly Bill
9/14/2008, 08:24 PM
D'ya think maybe people are saying it 'cause it's true?

Be that is it may...One would almost think there are some peeps it brings to orgasm, they seem to get such joy out of saying it.

King Crimson
9/14/2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, now we're back to the OLD measuring stick...

Post count. ;)

there's always Top of the Page, too.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 08:26 PM
Heh. TOTP. Goodness.

bri
9/14/2008, 08:27 PM
I'm gonna set my posts per page to 1, so every time I post it's TOTP, BITCHES!!!!

Whet
9/14/2008, 08:46 PM
My favorite thing about doing away with the reputation feature is the unintentional consequences. Fer example, most of the pink panty meltdown over the decision is being fueled by posters who are fairly new, i.e. weren't around pre-reputation. Thus, their histrionics over something that more veteran posters always viewed as a novelty at most serves to widen the gap between the newer generation of SF.com posters and the old guard that has been through multiple iterations of the board.

So, to sum up, quit your bitchin', n00bstain. :D

Well, I mean a ton for a guy that isn't part of any clicks, doesn't have any trolls, or hasn't been a part of any spek orgy's.:D

Yeah. A lot of people did that way and on other board software. bri should still have about twice my post count, I think.

We could go by registration date, but pretty much everyone has the join date of the last software shift: October 03. Mine should be more like July 2001 or something.

I'm gonna set my posts per page to 1, so every time I post it's TOTP, BITCHES!!!!

If you want to nag about how large your post count is and how much more important you are, I got news for you...... It don't mean ****!

In addition, one would think if folks provided money to help keep this board up and running, they would, in turn, have some say in how the board is operated..... Guess not.....

BTW, what ever happened to the Hollis board? Ever hear from John?

bri
9/14/2008, 08:51 PM
In addition, one would think if folks provided money to help keep this board up and running, they would, in turn, have some say in how the board is operated..... Guess not.....

Again, the very first people to provide money to help keep this board up and running are, for the most part, the people who aren't worked into a tizzy about this.

If sponsorship > seniority, then sponsorship seniority > n00b sponsors. :D

Whet
9/14/2008, 08:53 PM
money is money, regardless of who started contributing first or last.

BTW, what is the final count on vet's poll? How many of those deciding to stop contributing, or thinking of stopping, n00bs (using your term)?

King Crimson
9/14/2008, 08:54 PM
dang i thought i had TOTP.

GottaHavePride
9/14/2008, 08:56 PM
If you want to nag about how large your post count is and how much more important you are, I got news for you...... It don't mean ****!

BTW, what ever happened to the Hollis board? Ever hear from John?

Heh. I hope you don't think I take myself seriously on this board.

And when the sponsoring started it was purely because our server kept crashing on gamedays. We needed a better server and more bandwidth. That was it. I don't think any of us were ever under the impression we were going to get to tell Phil what to do.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/avl/pics/Tombstone.jpg

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 08:57 PM
:les: LOSER!!

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 08:57 PM
:les: TIMING RUINER!!!

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 09:01 PM
Actually, GHP, the server kept crashing on gamedays, or whatever, and so we ended up on, what, the Insider server? Wherever it was we ended up, the message board software was unbelievably bad, and we all revolted over it. By offering to sponsor up to help fix things.

bri
9/14/2008, 09:04 PM
Remember when we joined forces with Sooners Illustrated and they bought us a keg for the first tailgate of the season?

That doesn't have anything to do with anything, I just like free kegs.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 09:04 PM
I think that board sofware lasted for like a week.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 09:05 PM
Maybe it was Sooners Illustrated that we shared the server with for five minutes. Can't remember.

King Crimson
9/14/2008, 09:06 PM
naw, it was OUInsider.

bri
9/14/2008, 09:08 PM
It was the Black & Blue Board Of Death that lasted, like, a day. Testing a new server in the first post Fans.com move, I think.

It's all a blur since they took Ol' Spek out back and shot 'im.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I remember that board too. Was that the one on Insider? All I remember is that the board software we got in the move felt like a step back to another time on teh innerwebs. And not the good kind.

bri
9/14/2008, 09:14 PM
I wonder if IrishFans.com still has spek?

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 09:18 PM
They have watches. :D

http://irishfans.com/ (http://irishfans.com/)

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 09:19 PM
I'll even give up SPEK premanantly for a nice OU Rolex or Tag Heuer.

Come on Phil...pony up! :D

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 09:19 PM
That was awesome. Discovering that alternate universe was perhaps the high water mark for me as a poster on this board. Obviously, suggesting sponsorship to cover server costs was a low water mark.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 09:21 PM
Come to think of it, it has pretty much ALL been a low water mark.

bri
9/14/2008, 09:25 PM
Good point. I say we just say "screw it" and go back to Narnia. :D

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 09:27 PM
Is Narnia code for Norman?

King Crimson
9/14/2008, 09:27 PM
i remember going over 1000 posts for the first time on one of the old software boards and feeling like i'd wasted a lot of time.

bri
9/14/2008, 09:28 PM
Heh. That's probably because you had. We all had.

Now, of course, it's time well spent 'cause we're finding the cure for cancer or something. At least, it seems like it 'cause everyone's so super serial about stuff now. :D

Mixer!
9/14/2008, 09:30 PM
I hear those Tag Heuer commercials on the radio, and think to myself "Who's Ty Koyer?" :pop:

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 09:31 PM
I was going to donate all my vcash to cancer...

Now that it's cured...I don't know what the heck to do.

Civicus_Sooner
9/15/2008, 08:57 AM
Awe man, I was just starting to make a rush towards the first 10 pages of reputaion scores.

Echoes
9/15/2008, 09:46 AM
Spek to you, Ron :)