PDA

View Full Version : How good is USC,really?

stoopified
9/14/2008, 10:42 AM
Everybody got all excited 2weeks ago when the Rubbers beat Virginia.NEWSFALSH-UCONN drilled that same Virginia team 45-10 this week.Add to that USC beat an overrated and out manned TOSU team this week,I just ain't buying that they are the SECOND COMING of THE STEEL CURTAIN and theBRADY Patriots rolled into one.Sad thing is the Pac-10 is SOOO PUNY USC should walk to the conference crown and the NC title game.

Don't get me wrong it is not that I don't think the Boys of Troy aren't any good,I do BUT some media types are acting like the rest of this season is to decide who will be the TROJAN sacrificail lamb. There is still a lot of football to be played.Mark Sanchez has to wait afew more weeks for his Heisman.

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 11:01 AM
I think they gooder than owlshat

Veritas
9/14/2008, 11:04 AM
They're good enough to get to the MNC. The PAC-10 is weak as ****.

OU is too, but the Big 12 isn't the same cakewalk. I'd love to see OU v USC for an MNC.

aero
9/14/2008, 11:11 AM
I think they're good enough to win it all. They've got good players and they're going to have good players until the NCAA cracks them, Petey gets a huge severance package and moves on to coach the Bengals, and usuc hires Ty Willingham to clean the place up. They also have the attitude, swagger, and that pre-emptive fear that teams have before they play you. Same stuff we had from 2000 to 2004. But I think one thing everybody had figured out is that anybody can lose, even the mighty Sooners and mighty Trojans. Are we good enough? Absolutely. My dream NC game is stomping USC. For #8. I don't even care where it is. We could lose a lot of demons if that woiuld happen. Especially a usc team everybody revered. That's what we all want, isn't it? I want to play the best. While I'm at it, a tip of the hat to Ty and his huskies for tough scheduling. I actually hope he gets a few more years and can bring his team around.

Johnny Utah
9/14/2008, 03:03 PM
Interesting article by SIs Stewart Mandel (written before the game) on the differences between Carroll and Tressell, and how that might affect their respective teams play. Mandel appears to be indicating that Carroll's looseness helps them, while Tressell's tightness hurts them in the big games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/09/11/carroll.tressel/index.html

silverwheels
9/14/2008, 03:10 PM
USC is very good this year. They're definitely a legit top 5 team, maybe a legit top 2 team. Speed everywhere, and Sanchez has looked better than Booty ever did. Doesn't mean that they can't be beaten, though. Ohio State just doesn't have elite talent at the skill positions outside of Wells, and Pryor is only a true freshman.

TDArkansasOhMy
9/14/2008, 03:12 PM
They are good enough to be playing the SEC team in the BCSNCG this year. Solid defense and deep on both sides of the ball.

PDXsooner
9/14/2008, 03:13 PM
they're one of those teams that, when playing well, will not lose. i think the gap between them and us is small enough for OU to keep it close and beat them. but simply said, usc is the best team in the country.

they deserve credit for playing a great non-conference schedule every year.

however, they have built part of their reputation on winning the rose bowl (basically a home game) against weak big ten opponents lately. and the pac-10 won't give them much of a challenge.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 03:14 PM
They don't lose in big games.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 03:16 PM
they're one of those teams that, when playing well, will not lose. i think the gap between them and us is small enough for OU to keep it close and beat them. but simply said, usc is the best team in the country.

however, they have built part of their reputation on winning the rose bowl (basically a home game) against weak big ten opponents lately. and the pac-10 won't give them much of a challenge.

Better than our reputation...losing to weak teams in the Fiesta

(yeah.. i DARE you to try and neg me!)

silverwheels
9/14/2008, 03:21 PM
They are good enough to be playing the SEC team in the BCSNCG this year. Solid defense and deep on both sides of the ball.

So when is the SEC moving up to the NFL? Next year?

The VIIIth
9/14/2008, 03:40 PM
Better than our reputation...losing to weak teams in the Fiesta

(yeah.. i DARE you to try and neg me!)

Nice to be able to offer realistic opinions without being terror-negged.

This may actually force people to write exactly why they are in disagreement with a post instead of hitting the red button and saying "heh,you suk".

:)

adoniijahsooner
9/14/2008, 03:48 PM

go ahead and crown their *** then!

SoonerBOI
9/14/2008, 03:55 PM
they are soooooo good only SC can beat SC.

Zing
9/14/2008, 04:16 PM

Your troll-fu is weak.

adoniijahsooner
9/14/2008, 04:25 PM
I'm really sick of hearing about usc! I try to stay away from espn so I dont have to hear about those guys, and were on their nuts just much as "the experts". If we win all of games during the regular season we may get a chance to test their courage, but until we beat Texas, TCU, Kansas, KSU, Neb, Texas Tech, and Okie Lite, then it might just matter how good is USC. I am sure the Trojans have a wonderful forum where you can talk and philosophy about the many exploits and spoils they recieve from each college football team.

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 04:28 PM
They are not as good as they were in 04 or 05 in my opinion.

Art Vandele
9/14/2008, 04:38 PM
We should win something before talking crap about USC. They stomped a mud-hole in us when Adrian Peterson was our RB. Saying anything disrespectful about USC's program at thie point just makes us look stupid.

OklahomaTuba
9/14/2008, 04:45 PM
I would love to get another shot at them in Miami.

Curly Bill
9/14/2008, 05:02 PM
Nice to be able to offer realistic opinions without being terror-negged.

This may actually force people to write exactly why they are in disagreement with a post instead of hitting the red button and saying "heh,you suk".

:)

You got that a lot huh?

tulsaoilerfan
9/14/2008, 05:11 PM

LOL, SEC?

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 05:21 PM
We should win something before talking crap about USC. They stomped a mud-hole in us when Adrian Peterson was our RB. Saying anything disrespectful about USC's program at thie point just makes us look stupid.

Not taking a shot at them, but they are not as good now as they were in 04 or 05. Thats just my opinion. Sanchez will blow it, just give it time.

PDXsooner
9/14/2008, 05:24 PM
one could make a strong argument that USC has been the best team every season since 2002 -- when playing their best. they're prone to mental lapses (like us) and lose to inferior programs once or twice a year, but when playing well they are UNSTOPPABLE.

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 05:33 PM
What about when we are playing our best?

Art Vandele
9/14/2008, 05:35 PM
Not taking a shot at them, but they are not as good now as they were in 04 or 05. Thats just my opinion. Sanchez will blow it, just give it time.

Exactly what has Sanchez shown that makes you think he'll blow anything? Right now he looks like a Heisman QB with very good receivers and a solid OL. Your statement is just wishful thinking and has no basis in fact. I was at the Orange Bowl, man, you won't catch me saying anything negative about USC as long as Carroll is their coach. He raped Stoops that night and can do it again.

The Maestro
9/14/2008, 05:52 PM
To be fair, we haven't exactly rolled over the strongest competition, either.

But I agree with the analysis. The Virginia win is nothing based on what they have done. Ohio State? Remains to be seen. Without Beanie and if they continue to try and win with Boeckman, they will lose again this year, even in the craptastic Big Ten.

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 05:54 PM
Exactly what has Sanchez shown that makes you think he'll blow anything? Right now he looks like a Heisman QB with very good receivers and a solid OL. Your statement is just wishful thinking and has no basis in fact. I was at the Orange Bowl, man, you won't catch me saying anything negative about USC as long as Carroll is their coach. He raped Stoops that night and can do it again.

I just think he will, okay ART? ? All this board is for opinions and fun.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 05:56 PM

:texan:

The VIIIth
9/14/2008, 06:44 PM
You got that a lot huh?

Once, just once. You saw what happened.;)

KC//CRIMSON
9/14/2008, 06:52 PM
To be fair, we haven't exactly rolled over the strongest competition, either.

But I agree with the analysis. The Virginia win is nothing based on what they have done. Ohio State? Remains to be seen. Without Beanie and if they continue to try and win with Boeckman, they will lose again this year, even in the craptastic Big Ten.

If they had Beanie Wells and left Pryor in the game, they would of had a really good chance to beat USC, IMO.

But back on topic, USC is good and can hang with anyone. However, they are beatable.

Soonermagik
9/14/2008, 06:52 PM
Put it like this, Pete is 5 -1 in BCS bowl games. And you have to think the one loss came to Texas on a last minute play.

As of the last few seasons they always seem to be on the short list of teams to beat to get to the NC!!

This current SC team is good. They have Patrick Turner at receiver, but not a lot of receivers in the past i.e. jarret, steve smith and turner. Hence, I do think they can be shut down on offense to some degree. However, they have the best defense in college football. They can be beaten, but in order for that to happen a team has to jump all over them and do it in a hurry.

PDXsooner
9/14/2008, 06:59 PM
USC is definitely beatable, but OU will have to bring it and play pretty mistake-free. i think florida, LSU, and missouri are capable as well.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:00 PM
USC is definitely beatable, but OU will have to bring it and play pretty mistake-free. i think florida, LSU, and missouri are capable as well.

Us and Florida, yes.

LSU and Mizzou, nope.

kevpks
9/14/2008, 07:04 PM

I am not ready to put Mizzou on the short list of title contenders just yet. I just don't have a lot of respect for a team that can't line up on third and one and grind out a yard. How many times did that bite them last year against us? I also have a hard time viewing Pinkel as an elite coach. It is hard to believe someone who screwed up so bad during Brad Smith's tenure could all of a sudden just figure it out.

CatfishSooner
9/14/2008, 07:07 PM
I'm sick of the SC lovefest...yes they are good, but I don't think they are any better than us...maybe a little on D, but our O is much better in my o

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:11 PM

I agree.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:12 PM
I agree.

:rolleyes:

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:20 PM
:rolleyes:

Considering you guys haven't beaten SC since Nixon was in the White House, I think this poster has a good point. ;)

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:24 PM
Considering you guys haven't beaten SC since Nixon was in the White House, I think this poster has a good point. ;)

Speaking of living in the past. :rolleyes:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n190/sociablejimmy/bamaladen.jpg

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Erh-VfDSc&feature=related

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:29 PM
I know I am going a little overboard, but....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/tannerholmes/l_df6b4c520e7ee0ec1b7d7a350b064426.jpg

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Erh-VfDSc&feature=related

umm...yes, and we're 0-8-1 lifetime against Texas. But what does that have to do with the title and subject of this thread?

MojoRisen
9/14/2008, 07:30 PM
I going to go ahead and say it, Bradford is better than White at QB... We are very dangerous and can play with anyone...

The Condoms are redicoulos - but if anyone could play with them this year it would be us as - I think we can outscore anyone.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:32 PM
umm...yes, and we're 0-8-1 lifetime against Texas. What does that have to do with the title and subject of this thread?

Absolutely nothing.

I just think its funny that Bama is terrible.

:D

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:33 PM
I going to go ahead and say it, Bradford is better than White at QB... We are very dangerous and can play with anyone...

The Condoms are redicoulos - but if anyone could play with them this year it would be us as - I think we can outscore anyone.

All kidding aside, I hope you guys get a shot at them, and I'll be pulling for you all the way. A win over them would probably be sweeter than last year's win over Miami for both your program and your fanbase.

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:34 PM
Absolutely nothing.

I just think its funny that Bama is terrible.

:D

Kind of like you guys were back in the '90's...;)...no wait, I don't think we're quite that bad...Lol

Like OU, we will be back also...you can count on it.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:35 PM
Kind of like you guys were all in the '90's...;)

Like OU, we will be back also...you can count on that.

He's just pizzed Julio Jones made the wrong decision.:P

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:36 PM
Kind of like you guys were all in the '90's...;)

Like OU, we will be back also...you can count on that.

We will see.

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:37 PM
He's just pizzed Julio Jones made the wrong decision.:P

Figures...Lol.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:38 PM
Kind of like you guys were back in the '90's...;)...no wait, I don't think we're quite that bad...Lol

I also like your coach, lying pos.

He can't be trusted, that must suck.

:(

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:40 PM
We will see.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/oklahoma/yearly_results.php?year=1995

If you guys can make it back from that debacle, I think we'll be alright.;)

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:41 PM

the SEC is full of dou:les:hebag coaches. WTF?

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:43 PM

I realize Nick isn't going to win any popularity awards over here. But he's a proven head coach and has as many NC's as Bob does. If he'll just stay five years with us, I'll be satisfied.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/oklahoma/yearly_results.php?year=1995

If you guys can make it back from that debacle, I think we'll be alright.;)

You Bama fans sure love to live in the past, huh?

Maybe that means OK State is making a comeback to because they were good once.

Give me a break. You guys suck and until I see something that changes that, i'm sticking with that thought.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:45 PM
I realize Nick isn't going to win any popularity awards over here. But he's a proven head coach and has as many NC's as Bob does. If he'll just stay five years with us, I'll be satisfied.

I doubt he has 100 wins

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:46 PM

Bob doesn't lie and stab people in the back.

I'll take Bob anyday.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:48 PM
Heh.

"New York Giant WR Plaxico Burress had trouble with Saban while attending Michigan State.

Burress writes that Saban prevented him from leaving the team to visit a close friend who had broken his neck, and regularly prohibited him from speaking to reporters. While Burress calls Saban "really smart," he writes, "I didn't like him."

"When Saban got mad or something happened, he would just spaz out, flip out," Burress writes.

He recounts a conversation with former Dolphin and current Giants cornerback Sam Madison, who played one season for Saban.

"I was like, 'Man the one thing I didn't like about Saban ...'" and before I even got it out, Sam said, 'He don't have no people skills,'" Burress writes."

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 08:36 PM
I doubt he has 100 wins

Actually, he does...he won #100 last week against Tulane.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 08:38 PM
Actually, he does...he won #100 last week against Tulane.

at one school, i mean lolol

my bad. nonetheles, 100-22>101–48–1

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=CK Sooner;2402398]Heh.

"New York Giant WR Plaxico Burress had trouble with Saban while attending Michigan State.

Burress writes that Saban prevented him from leaving the team to visit a close friend who had broken his neck, and regularly prohibited him from speaking to reporters. While Burress calls Saban "really smart," he writes, "I didn't like him."

"When Saban got mad or something happened, he would just spaz out, flip out," Burress writes.

He recounts a conversation with former Dolphin and current Giants cornerback Sam Madison, who played one season for Saban.

CK,

It's obvious you have it in for Saban and, for that matter, Alabama. Not sure why, considering you guys swept the home/home a while back, but it must have something to do with the '05 Sugar Bowl result and Mr. Julio Jones. Am I warm? But I don't come here to discuss either-- I come here to talk about and follow my second favorite program--Oklahoma. So, please, can we cut out the school yard insults and have respectful conversations ABOUT OU football? That would be great if we could. Thanks--BS/RTR

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=CK Sooner;2402398]Heh.

CK,

It's obvious you have it in for Saban and, for that matter, Alabama. Not sure why, considering you guys swept the home/home a while back, but it must have something to do with the '05 Sugar Bowl result and Mr. Julio Jones. Am I warm? But I don't come here to discuss either-- I come here to talk about and follow my second favorite program--Oklahoma. So, please, can we cut out the school yard insults and have respectful conversations ABOUT OU football? That would be great if we could. Thanks--BS/RTR

i was joking about the whole Julio Jones thing. We need Julio Jones like we needed Keith Nichol. Sure, a couple years down the road it might be nice. But he probably wouldn't see the field often this year. Broyles is tearing it up, and he rarely gets the ball. Our WR corps are ridiculously good, and will continue to be. He would no doubt start at some point, but like Jarboe, we will be more than fine without him.

PDXsooner
9/14/2008, 09:34 PM

um, you guys were 3-8 in 2000, 4-9 in 2003, and 6-7 in 2006 with a lot of mediocrity in between. i think your "slump" trumps ours...;)

silverwheels
9/14/2008, 10:36 PM

Missouri needs to learn how to play defense before they can be a BCS title-type of team. If they do end up in the BCS title game against someone like USC, they will get stomped. USC's defense would have them eating boogers after one quarter.

PDXsooner
9/14/2008, 10:38 PM
you're probably right about mizzou and lsu. lsu's lack of QB would be too much to overcome, and mizzou still has yet to prove themselves against the big boys.

OU, USC, and Florida seem like this year's cream-of-the-crop...

ousooners182
9/14/2008, 10:45 PM
yeah ou usc and im not sure if im sold on florida yet..good d team speed but just not sold on their d and they still dont have a back just harvin and tebow

oupride
9/14/2008, 10:49 PM
ditto

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 10:54 PM
um, you guys were 3-8 in 2000, 4-9 in 2003, and 6-7 in 2006 with a lot of mediocrity in between. i think your "slump" trumps ours...;)

I don't think so, you guys also had three STRAIGHT losing seasons --96-98, and whole lot of mediocrity the rest of the decade. Thank goodness, you guys took a chance on a hot assistant and he turned your program around. Hopefully our gamble on Saban will get us back to that same level. Only time will tell, but we appear to be headed in the right direction...

Instead of bashing Alabama football on an OU board, let's talk Oklahoma football, ok?

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 10:55 PM
Actually we have done everything USC has done under the Stoops/Carrol years. Except beat them head to head obviously.

PDXsooner
9/14/2008, 11:13 PM
I don't think so, you guys also had three STRAIGHT losing seasons --96-98, and whole lot of mediocrity the rest of the decade.

Instead of bashing Alabama football on an OU board, let's talk Oklahoma football, ok?

umm, no i'd rather take a closer look at this. i've listed the "slumps" below. in case you haven't noticed, you've had 3 losing seasons in the last 7. and although you've sprinkled in a few 10-win seasons, you've never really been a legit title contender in any of those years and your mediocrity has lasted a lot longer. OU's was 3 losing seasons in a row but a had much shorter stretch of hell.

OU's "slump":

1994 - 6-6 (thank you schnellenberger)
1995 - 5-5-1
1996 - 3-8
1997 - 4-8
1998 - 5-6
1999 - 7-5 (slump beginning to end)
2000 - 13-0 (slump over)

BAMA'S "slump":

2000 - 3-8
2001 - 7-5
2002 - 10-3
2003 - 4-9
2004 - 6-6
2005 - 10-2
2006 - 6-7
2007 - 7-6

ousooners182
9/14/2008, 11:14 PM
pete carrol pees sitting down like a girl

PDXsooner
9/14/2008, 11:15 PM
Actually we have done everything USC has done under the Stoops/Carrol years. Except beat them head to head obviously.

disagree. carroll is 5-1 in BCS games, and has more impressive non-conference wins. they've also won 6 consecutive conference championships.

ousooners182
9/14/2008, 11:17 PM

except bcs unfortunately i think the only bcs loss they have is texas under carrol?

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 11:22 PM
How many national titles does Carroll have? 1 . Stoops 1

ousooners182
9/14/2008, 11:25 PM
true true and ou also has the best record since 2000 of any d1 team

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 11:26 PM
Its a lot easier to win BCS bowls when your playing a crappy Big 10 team in the Rose bowl every time. It is basically home field advantage every time they play there, since it is right down the road from their stadium.

Teams he has beating, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa.

3 BIG 10 TEAMS. And us. Just saying , big 10, just saying. The wins are impressive, but its still the big 10.

AimForCenterMass
9/14/2008, 11:35 PM
USC and Oklahoma both come off as the two most dominant teams in America right now, but it's still early. While some are living in January already, I'm excited about the TCU game coming up. The anticipation and excitement of waiting a full week for the next game is what makes this time of year such a blast. I'm just stoke it's football season and OU is rolling.

PDXsooner
9/14/2008, 11:41 PM
Its a lot easier to win BCS bowls when your playing a crappy Big 10 team in the Rose bowl every time. It is basically home field advantage every time they play there, since it is right down the road from their stadium.

3 BIG 10 TEAMS. And us. Just saying , big 10, just saying. The wins are impressive, but its still the big 10.

i agree -- i hate USC, but i have to be realistic. yes, he beat big ten teams in the bowls, but christ sake! we lost to boise st. and west virginia! it's not so easy to just line up and win BCS bowls every year!

also, USC has 2 national titles. let's face it, if we had a coaches poll title we'd claim it too.

i hope we pound USC in the title game, but until then they are the top dog on the block.

ouwasp
9/14/2008, 11:46 PM
When you think about the roll USC is on, it reminds me of the 49ers back in the 80's; they were plenty good and played in the crappy NFC West. Set 'em up with the bye and home-field over and again.

Some interesting parallels there.

Crimson_Balls
9/14/2008, 11:53 PM

I went to Tuskaloosa a few years back and had the greatest experience. BAMA had a beautiful campus, classy fans, and an electric atmosphere...a lot of tradition.

First time I ever got treated like a first class citizen on the road. I root for you guys to do well... I hope your program gets to that next level again.

Keep the class buddy. U Don't have to take any crap on an OU board. Just a bunch of jokers over here. We are fortunate to have turned our program around. Most times we Sooners have been so successful in the last 9 yrs that we take our program for granted. Most teams would kill for a 10 win season and we get a taste every year

...I HOPE Stoops sticks around for another title or two. I'd rather have he then Saban or Bear Bryant

swooperman
9/15/2008, 12:00 AM
From a 25 year die hard Sooner fan....OU is clearly the 2nd best team in America. USC would be at least a 10 point favorite right now. I love the Sooners, but realistically, I think we are better than everyone except USC at this point. OU wins the Big 12 over a VERy good Mizzou team and then faces USC and Bradford has the game of his life, but gets hit too many times and we hand the trophy to the Trojans 34-21 in the MNCG

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/15/2008, 12:01 AM
I am not ready to put Mizzou on the short list of title contenders just yet. I just don't have a lot of respect for a team that can't line up on third and one and grind out a yard. How many times did that bite them last year against us? I also have a hard time viewing Pinkel as an elite coach. It is hard to believe someone who screwed up so bad during Brad Smith's tenure could all of a sudden just figure it out.

On the offensive side of the ball Mizzou is good enough this year to win a NC. On the defensive side of the ball is a whole other story. They made Juice Williams look like Steve Young and since Illinois has struggled to beat a I-AA team or whatever they are called now and needed a late score to beat a Sun Belt team. MU also played SEMO which pretty much is the same as Chattanooga and scored 69 points against an average Nevada team by running a fake field goal when they were up 45-17 in the second for one thing and never really calling off the dogs for another.

If Stopps had run a fake FG for a TD in the second half at the same juncture when we were up 41-7 on Washington then Stoops would get ripped.

The MU team I've seen so far might score 30 points against a top team but they will give up 60.

JLEW1818
9/15/2008, 12:08 AM
From a 25 year die hard Sooner fan....OU is clearly the 2nd best team in America. USC would be at least a 10 point favorite right now. I love the Sooners, but realistically, I think we are better than everyone except USC at this point. OU wins the Big 12 over a VERy good Mizzou team and then faces USC and Bradford has the game of his life, but gets hit too many times and we hand the trophy to the Trojans 34-21 in the MNCG

So if we play in the title game are you going to go for USC so your prediction would be right?

swooperman
9/15/2008, 12:14 AM
So if we play in the title game are you going to go for USC so your prediction would be right?

Absolutely not. But if it came down to betting cash, I would have to look at the line seriously. USC seems to be on a whole other level at this point. I love the Sooners, just being realistic and logical thinking.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/15/2008, 12:15 AM
I have no problem with USC being #1 at this point. If they run the table with a road blowout at Ohio St they deserve it at this point. It is obvious that Ohio St isn't that great this year but imagine if we scheduled say Florida for 2012 and beat them on the road that year and they turned out to be down.

If we run the table we will be there and then it will be settled then.

I thing TGOWWDNS might create some nice media fodder but I'm all for a rematch and I think we would have a great shot.

In Sept though I'm a lot more about winning the Big 12 South than how good USC looks.

swooperman
9/15/2008, 12:15 AM
I would rather be wrong and have the Sooners take home the trophy!

SoonerKnight
9/15/2008, 01:38 AM
Absolutely not. But if it came down to betting cash, I would have to look at the line seriously. USC seems to be on a whole other level at this point. I love the Sooners, just being realistic and logical thinking.

I have to disagree with you. The Big 10 (tOSU) is not that great of a team need proof look at the last to BCS games and Saturday's game for proof. USC has not been challenege and even though I did not watch any of the game from what I read USC simply scored on tOSU turnovers.

In January after the season has been played and we whip the dog**** out of missouri I think that you might have a different impression of this team. USC is a very good team but did they really do anything that OU would not have done themselves? Are you saying that tOSU was so good the OU could not beat them?

The Maestro
9/15/2008, 08:09 AM

I agree with the premise, but it doesn't excuse us losing to a team from the Big East and whateverthehell conference Boise State is in in BCS games.

No shame in the LSU and USC losses...except the size of the USC loss.

swardboy
9/15/2008, 08:33 AM

IMO all suc has accomplished is to unmask tosu for the sham it is.

Breadburner
9/15/2008, 08:54 AM
Alot of football left to play.....

Pieces Hit
9/15/2008, 08:59 AM
Stanford.

BrockLanders
9/15/2008, 09:43 AM
USC has the sort of defense that can slow our O down.....very fast and can get to the QB.

Are we ready to say that about our defense against their offense?

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 09:50 AM
USC has the sort of defense that can slow our O down.....very fast and can get to the QB.

Are we ready to say that about our defense against their offense?

I think so.

Pieces Hit
9/15/2008, 09:52 AM
USC just played their toughest game of the season and will cruise on out.

Our season is "just beginning".

If OU makes it to the MNC -
we will be a much more battle-hardened and tested team.

Just saying.

Pieces Hit
9/15/2008, 09:55 AM
I mean, we got that Big 12 game too still huh?

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 09:57 AM
I mean, we got that Big 12 game too still huh?

Texas, OSU and the Big 12 Championship game are going to be our toughest games.

Hopefully we win out, I think we can.

bcgvh
9/15/2008, 10:31 AM

How are they on a whole other level? They beat Ohio State, who has NO offense and could barely score against Ohio, and UCONN puts on a better showing against Virginia. The PAC-10, besides USC, got absolutely embarrassed this weekend! They are a conference of high school caliber teams right now. USC does not get truly tested until their bowl game. Their win against OSU at home looked good, but it wasn't THAT good given the fact that OSU has been embarrassed by every top 10 team they've played lately.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/15/2008, 10:47 AM
A win over suc, regardless of which bowl, would be a tremendous boost for OU's recruiting, and take a lowland gorilla off our backs.

Jacie
9/15/2008, 11:06 AM
I absolutely HATE certain teams that have owned OU. Those would be SUC and the domers. The caines are in that list because we lost a title from a loss to them but the first two are public enemy #'s 1 and 2. The condoms got about 10 *** whippings owed to em from Oklahoma and despite the trepidation I might feel about playing them again, the only way to get that monkey off OUr backs is to reach behind, grab it by the throat, throw it on the ground and stomp the living shiza out of it!

Go Sooners!

Beat SUC!

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2008, 11:07 AM
I agree with the premise, but it doesn't excuse us losing to a team from the Big East and whateverthehell conference Boise State is in in BCS games.

No shame in the LSU and USC losses...except the size of the USC loss.

No shame in any of the losses, except being blown out. BCS teams are almost always good and are there for a reason. Look at WVU record the last 3 years and then look at their record with Pat White healthy. It would have been a different game if we had Kelly, DM, Granger, etc., but I can't say for sure we win.

soonerhillbilly
9/15/2008, 11:07 AM
Alot of football left to play.....

Eggsactly! how do we know right now that the SUC has played their toughest game of the Season? Way to early to be handing them or OU the trophy! Let's see how SUC's next 3 games pan out, before you guys are saying they are the best. Jeez! Sounds like some of you work for ESPN. BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2008, 11:10 AM
I think defensively, they are as good as advertised....good runningbacks....it would be a good matchup with OU for sure

EstablishedSooner1967
9/15/2008, 11:15 AM
55-19...... until OU can get a win over them... USC is real and real good...

JLEW1818
9/15/2008, 11:34 AM
I agree STEP. I think whats so amazing about their team is their defense. Dirty Sanchez on the other hand has been good, but Sam is more proven then Dirty Sanchez so far. Who knows though, USC usually loses a game they are not suppose to..... kinda like us. All I know is, if a tOSU slips in somehow like last year I'll go on a rampage.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2008, 11:37 AM
That linebacker group with Ray Moogaa Moogaa is as good as I've seen in a while....

boomermagic
9/15/2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think anyone knows just how good anybody is yet.. It's still early but don't count us out we look really good right now..

meoveryouxinfinity
9/15/2008, 01:25 PM
USC loses at home to U-Dub! You heard it here first! ;)

cvsooner
9/15/2008, 01:27 PM
...Mizzou...scored 69 points against an average Nevada team by running a fake field goal when they were up 45-17 in the second ...

I saw that and two things came to mind. One, gimme a break...you've got a 28 point lead over a clearly outmatched team...classless. Two, why throw away a perfectly good fake FG play for future use? Which is what will happen...watch for the shovel pass on FG and XP tries from now on, if you're playing Mizzou.

JLEW1818
9/15/2008, 01:27 PM
That fake was kinda of cool, it a sick way.

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 01:28 PM
USC loses at home to U-Dub! You heard it here first! ;)

:eek:

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2008, 01:40 PM
Arizona will beat USC.

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 01:41 PM
Arizona will beat USC.

Not likely.

silverwheels
9/15/2008, 04:31 PM
Arizona will beat USC.

Doubt it, but anything is possible.

St. Louis Sooner
9/15/2008, 04:39 PM
while mizzou still has to prove itself by beating a top tier team, I'll go a step further and project why they have difficulty at that level:
They cannot handle adversity that comes from their offense being stuffed in three respects: 1) good pass coverage, 2) pressure/sacks on booger boy, and 3) keeping his scrambling in check.
CD is spoiled and as arrogant as they get; get to him and his receivers and you shut them down ... and without a strong run game, they really don't know how to handle it.

cvsooner
9/15/2008, 04:42 PM
Daniel also has a bad habit of holding the ball too long, figuring he can make a play, somehow.

NYC Poke
9/15/2008, 04:59 PM
GREATEST TEAM EVER!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, some moron on Rivals is asked whether it's the best Pete Carroll team at USC, and we all know what that means. Though while I may be sick of hearing about USC, they are a very good football team.

JLEW1818
9/15/2008, 09:56 PM
2004-2005 USC was his best. Bush sophomore , White sophomore, Leinart JR.

The 2005-2006 Team was great too, however the year they beat us, their defense was probably the best this decade.

IronHorseSooner
9/15/2008, 10:28 PM
I will go out on a limb, like I did when I picked the exact score in the tOSU-Illini game, and that 'Zona would beat Oregon, and say that SUC will lose to 'Zona. They ALWAYS pull a "where did that come from" win every year (like Oregon last year). Petey even says that Mike's D is the toughest to game plan against.

9/16/2008, 12:22 AM
while mizzou still has to prove itself by beating a top tier team, I'll go a step further and project why they have difficulty at that level:
They cannot handle adversity that comes from their offense being stuffed in three respects: 1) good pass coverage, 2) pressure/sacks on booger boy, and 3) keeping his scrambling in check.
CD is spoiled and as arrogant as they get; get to him and his receivers and you shut them down ... and without a strong run game, they really don't know how to handle it.AND THEN, there's the UM (snicker) Defense.

9/16/2008, 12:26 AM
2004-2005 USC was his best. Bush sophomore , White sophomore, Leinart JR.

The 2005-2006 Team was great too, however the year they beat us, their defense was probably the best this decade.In the 2005 season, the suc defense was but a shell of the one they had in 2004.

pott_2
9/16/2008, 01:29 AM
I will bet that this guy will never work for espn but I like the way he thinks.

Meme watch: Trojans bring back that lovin' feeling
By Matt Hinton
Dream with me, fans, allllll the way back to those heady days of December 2005. If that month was a conscious one, you might recollect some buzz about the "unbeatable" USC Trojans, Number One in all relevant polls from their first conception in the summer, and about their place among the greatest teams of all time. Versus the undefeated 1997 Michigan Wolverines? USC, 49-14. Versus the undefeated 1991 Washington Huskies, an outfit that outscored its opponents by a 42-9 average? "There's no way that defense could stop SC ... It wouldn't even be close." And so on, etc., right up to the point they were beaten by Texas in the Rose Bowl. Matt Leinart didn't have to accept it, but the apparently invincible Men of Troy were, in fact, quite vincible. You'd have though their last-gasp win over Notre Dame, 24-point halftime deficit at Arizona State and close call against Fresno State would have given some idea.

You might also remember the next year, 2006, when USC rose to No. 2 in the polls, seemed unbeatable until a stunning loss at Oregon State, then rose to No. 2 again by December and seemed unbeatable until a stunning loss at UCLA. Or just last year, when every major outlet and 107 of 125 major poll voters ranked the Trojans No. 1 in the preseason and declared them unbeatable after a physically dominant, lopsided blowout in Nebraska. Right up until John David Booty broke his hand, threw four interceptions, and the world came to an end against Stanford. Again, the Men of Troy were, against the odds, quite vincible.

If any of these scenarios ring a bell, it's a dead certainty you're not writing for a major national Web site after the Trojans' wipeout win over Ohio State, or you could never bring yourself to decide, after just two games, that ...

• "They are the best team I've seen in many years."
• "The way Southern California whipped up on Ohio State suggests that the next three months will serve as an extended process of determining whether the best team in the SEC or the best team in the Big 12 will earn the right to face the Trojans in Miami for the national championship on Jan. 8."
• "It felt a whole lot like 2004 at the L.A. Coliseum Saturday night. This year's Trojans carry so many parallels to that undefeated team ... But this team is already far ahead of where that team was at the beginning of its season."
• "... the Trojans sent an ominous message to the rest of the college football world: let the race for No. 2 begin."
• "That dominant showing now raises questions: Do the Trojans have any weaknesses? Can anyone on their schedule beat them? Is this coach Pete Carroll's best Trojans team to date?"

Could be, pundits, could be -- there's only two-and-a-half months, ten games and four other still-unbeaten teams that also earned first place votes in the preseason (two of which are averaging 50+ points through three games) left to go. Really: what could possibly happen between now and then?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday

MojoRisen
9/16/2008, 10:01 AM
I want a piece of SUC - we can hang with them. We chocked last time around - this offense can score with them and a couple of big plays on defense could be the ball game.

Ohio St looked like absolute shiate against Ohio who just lost to Centeral Michigan again last week.

Who is to say 28 offensive points is enough to beat Oklahoma - I wouldn't bet on it.

adoniijahsooner
9/16/2008, 10:03 AM
I want a piece of SUC - we can hang with them. We chocked last time around - this offense can score with them and a couple of big plays on defense could be the ball game.

Ohio St looked like absolute shiate against Ohio who just lost to Centeral Michigan again last week.

Who is to say 28 offensive points is enough to beat Oklahoma - I wouldn't bet on it.

I dont think they would score 28 offensive points against us.

CK Sooner
9/16/2008, 04:44 PM
I don't think so, you guys also had three STRAIGHT losing seasons --96-98, and whole lot of mediocrity the rest of the decade. Thank goodness, you guys took a chance on a hot assistant and he turned your program around. Hopefully our gamble on Saban will get us back to that same level. Only time will tell, but we appear to be headed in the right direction...

How do you call yourself a OU/Bama fan?

SoonerinSouthlake
9/16/2008, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=adoniijahsooner;2402163]I'm really sick of hearing about usc! QUOTE]

then you should probably not read, and post on a thread titled HOW GOOD IS USC!!!

aero
9/16/2008, 10:31 PM
Here we are. In the thick of it. Predicting, analyzing, comparing. I think this is as much of what we look forward to each year as much as the play on the field. It's too early to say. Most teams haven't gotten into the meat of the schedule. But so far, the top teams have done what was expected, and maybe then some. USC has looked very good and deserves to be #1. OU likewise has looked quite impressive and deserves to be #2. It could be argued neither has been fully tested. We'll know later. Hopefully, we will meet them for the title. And hopefully, we'll play to our abilities. I wouldn't speak for anyone but me, but personally, I could really use a victory over the best in the land and specifically, USC. Yes, I would be somewhat nervous but there's only one way to get to the top of the mountain. Right now, who knows. Both teams look great. I still haven't seen the consistent pressure/sacks on the qb I was hoping for. Pretty good run stop but how will it do against the caliber of USC? Locker's a good qb and I was impressed with how we contained him but his line was way overmatched. I suppose if I were to have any small concerns at this time, it would be qb pressure, special teams, and the secondary. It seems every year I am expecting a dominant force from the outside and it just doesn't seem to happen. We always have athletes that look the part. Maybe its just the schemes. Anyway, I'd sure like to see more sacks and pressure. Same with the secondary. We always have great athletes but seem to always give up big pass plays. Breaks in coverage? Coaching? Just the game? I sure don't know. But I've always thought if we could get more pressure up front it would take the pressure off the secondary plus open it up for more picks. Normally, special teams wouldn't be in the discussion but we've looked a little shaky starting off and usually, for what ever reason, special teams don't seem to gel into a well oiled machine as the year goes on. Typically, you are what you is and when you start out shaky, seems at some point later in the season there will be another lapse, or multiple lapses. I'm guessing because often the special teams personnel aren't the same and they don't get the reps the O and D does. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And as every year, loving every week of Sooner football and pulling for OU to get to the game. And weirdly pulling for USC to meet us there.

stoopified
9/25/2008, 11:46 PM
Questiion answered.Thak you Oregon State.You know I have always loved Beaver. :D

PDXsooner
9/25/2008, 11:53 PM
being wrong about them never felt so good!! they are definitely overrated!!!

stoopified
9/26/2008, 02:11 PM
Beavers RIP through the Trjans.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/27/2008, 04:14 PM
USC's "awe inspiring" 52-7 win over Virginia does't look quite as impressive after the Virgins lose 45-10 to UConn AND 31-3 to Duke. Duke? That says it all.

JLEW1818
9/27/2008, 04:17 PM
I agree, I seen that too.

Basically everybody sucks except us.

stoopified
9/27/2008, 04:31 PM
I agree, I seen that too.

Basically everybody sucks except us.You are JUST now realizing the noble truth that real SOONER FANS have always known? :)