PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 QBs vs. SEC QBs

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 10:09 AM
With all the talk of how the Big 12 QBs may be the best in the nation...and all the talk of the SEC is so good and Stafford or Tebow for heisman...and all the talk of Chase Daniel and Sam Bradford being dominant Heisman contenders as well. I took it upon myself to do a little analysis using the stats to this point.
Below, I've added all of the Big 12 QB stats (starters and backups)...and all of the SEC QB stats (starters and backups) so that you and I can get a "fair and balanced" comparison of the 2 conferences which the majority of the country consider the top 2 conferences.
(these stats pulled and added up from espn.com)
Here's the results:
Big 12 QBs
721 completions of 1058 attempts 9098 yards 80 tds 26 ints

SEC QBs
538 comp. of 924 att. 6342 yds. 41 tds 23 ints

I also added an interesting comparison between who most would consider maybe the top 3 QBs of both conferences...

BIG 12:

Sam Bradford
64 of 81 with 882 yds 79% comp. 12 tds 2 ints QB rating of 214.4

Chase Daniel
65 of 90 with 973 yds 72.2% 10 tds 1 int 197.5 Rating

Graham Harrell
93 of 152 with 1251 yds 61.2% 8 tds 3 ints 143.7 Rating

Total 222 of 323 3106 yds 70.8% avg. completion 30 tds 6 ints avg. QB rating of 185.2

SEC:

Tim Tebow
30 of 49 with 393 yds 61.2% 3 tds 0 ints 148.8 rating

Stafford
46 of 74 with 634 yds 62.2% 4 tds 0 ints 152 Rating

John Parker Wilson
50 of 80 with 468 yds 62.5% 4tds 1 int 125.6 rating

Total 126 of 203 1495 yds 61.97% avg. comp. 11 tds 1 int Avg QB rating 142.13

After all this math, it sure does look like we at least have the better QBs statistically than the SEC from top to bottom.
Something that could weigh into some of the stats I posted above are the various bye weeks that some teams have had. Like possibly Florida I think had a bye week. But I figure the conference stats as far as bye weeks are concerned kind of balance out anyways. Also the strength of opponents teams have played I figure all balances out as well.

Anyways, that is all...now discuss

tulsaoilerfan
9/14/2008, 10:13 AM
I was not that impressed with Stafford yesterday; highly over-rated IMO

SoonerLB
9/14/2008, 10:22 AM
Nice work on the stats! It should be REQUIRED reading for all ESPN employees.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 10:24 AM
Sam is on pace to have 56 touchdowns. And with him playing full games, I don't necessarily think his production will drop off once we get into conference play.

bluedogok
9/14/2008, 10:27 AM
What was the QB rating for the Awfulburn and Mess State QB's after that "beauty" of a game? Even the bottom of the Big 12 QB's haven't had a turd of a game like that.

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 10:28 AM
Nice work on the stats! It should be REQUIRED reading for all ESPN employees.

Thanks.

Unfortunately having the best QBs still doesn't mean we have a better conference than the SEC...but it's gotta stand for something.
To figure out who has the stronger conference a ton of other stats would have to be figured up and compared at the end of the season...and I don't think I have that kind of time. :D

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 10:32 AM
What was the QB rating for the Awfulburn and Mess State QB's after that "beauty" of a game? Even the bottom of the Big 12 QB's haven't had a turd of a game like that.
On the season the allbarn QBs are as follows:
48 or 87 with 487 yds 1 td 2 ints QB rating avg. 101.4

Mess stat:
50 of 92 520 yds 3 tds 4 ints avg qb rating 103.9

Those are some stellar stats right there,ha ha

kevpks
9/14/2008, 10:45 AM
The SEC should not be considered the de facto "best" conference every year. Some years, it's just not the case. I think the Big XII was slightly better than the SEC last season and so far this season. It's too bad the Big XII doesn't have more games against them in the non-conference schedule. Of course, it would help if teams like Texas Tech and K-State would play a team with a pulse once in awhile.

bluedogok
9/14/2008, 10:47 AM
On the season the allbarn QBs are as follows:
48 or 87 with 487 yds 1 td 2 ints QB rating avg. 101.4

Mess stat:
50 of 92 520 yds 3 tds 4 ints avg qb rating 103.9

Those are some stellar stats right there,ha ha

What was the ratings for THAT game, if it were possible that game should deserve a negative rating.

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 10:57 AM
What was the ratings for THAT game, if it were possible that game should deserve a negative rating.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=282570344

jkjsooner
9/14/2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks.

Unfortunately having the best QBs still doesn't mean we have a better conference than the SEC...but it's gotta stand for something.
To figure out who has the stronger conference a ton of other stats would have to be figured up and compared at the end of the season...and I don't think I have that kind of time. :D

I wouldn't wait until the end of the season. We're getting into conference play now so strong in conference defenses can skew offensive stats and vice versa. It's better to compare now since both have played mostly OOC opponents.

One thing we can say is that the Big 12 QB's are better than the SEC and at this point they can't use tougher SEC defenses as an excuse. Plus, most SEC teams play horrible OOC schedules. Everyone just ignores it because their in conference schedule is so "brutal" That becomes a self fulfilling analysis since they end up with good OOC records and the teams appear more and more brutal leading to even easier OOC schedules, etc.

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't wait until the end of the season. We're getting into conference play now so strong in conference defenses can skew offensive stats and vice versa. It's better to compare now since both have played mostly OOC opponents.

One thing we can say is that the Big 12 QB's are better than the SEC and at this point they can't use tougher SEC defenses as an excuse. Plus, most SEC teams play horrible OOC schedules. Everyone just ignores it because their in conference schedule is so "brutal" That becomes a self fulfilling analysis since they end up with good OOC records and the teams appear more and more brutal leading to even easier OOC schedules, etc.

You have some good points here, but honestly the Big 12 has it's fair share of powder puff teams too.
And the SEC has had a few in conference matchups already

LSUdeek
9/14/2008, 01:54 PM
I'd probably take Daniel and Bradford over everyone else in the SEC besides Tebow. McCoy is probably better than everyone else besides Stafford as well.

Losing Ainge, Cox, Woodson, Flynn, and Perriloux out of the league is not doing anything to help offenses this year. Most of us are starting green QBs.

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 01:57 PM
In my opinion Stafford has never had good numbers.

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 05:21 PM
In my opinion Stafford has never had good numbers.

Agreed...I was surprised at the hype he was getting preseason

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 06:40 PM
Not quite sure how JPW made your list--many of us Tide fans are still not even sold on him. I've said all along here and on the Alabama boards that I think SB is the best in the land, and that I think he will ultimately win the Heisman. In fact, given the schedule you all play this year, I think he can lock it up with another dominating performance against Texas next month. It's his to lose, IMO.

One thing I think you have to keep in mind when comparing qb stats between the two leagues is that, while the Big 12 has evolved slowly over the last decade into a predominantly passing conference, the SEC is still a smashmouth, 'run first to set up the pass', grind-it-out, group of teams. To be fair, I think that would have to be taken into account when you explain the disparity between the numbers you gave. Also, if there is any real debate over which conference, as a whole, is slightly better than the other at this time, I think the one that has won the most NC's in the last several years should answer that. Notice I said 'slightly'.

I think the fact that the new top 10 of the AP poll just released today showing five teams from the SEC(which is unprecedented) and three from the Big 12 is a good indicator of how superior both leagues are compared to the other major conferences. That, I believe, is not debatable.

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 06:52 PM
Not quite sure how JPW made your list--many of us Tide fans are still not even sold on him. I've said all along here and on the Alabama boards that I think SB is the best in the land, and that I think he will ultimately win the Heisman. In fact, given the schedule you all play this year, I think he can lock it up with another dominating performance against Texas next month. It's his to lose, IMO.

One thing I think you have to keep in mind when comparing qb stats between the two leagues is that, while the Big 12 has evolved slowly over the last decade into a predominantly passing conference, the SEC is still a smashmouth, 'run first to set up the pass', grind-it-out, group of teams. To be fair, I think that would have to be taken into account when you explain the disparity between the numbers you gave. Also, if there is any real debate over which is slightly better than the other, I think the one that has won the most NC's in the last several years should answer that. Notice I said 'slightly'.

I think the fact that the new top 10 of the AP poll just released today showing five teams from the SEC(which is unprecedented) and three from the Big 12 is a good indicator of how good we are compared to the other major conferences.

Wilson made my list because he's the only other "big name" that I could think of. Even though I don't think he's a big name though...but I mean, who would you recommend?? Have your pick at any of the other SEC QBs to replace him and we'll still show as better than the SEC.
You're missing the point...our QBs are better than yours....I never said for certain we're a better conference because of the QB performance.
Also, in case you haven't noticed, we run the ball pretty well in the Big 12 as well, so I don't think you raise much of a point with the "run first" idea, especially in a thread that is comparing QBs to QBs.
In regards to the rankings....I think we all know those will be changing due to the fact that your AP #3 team looked awful playing against your unranked Gamecocks. They'll continue to slide, especially after your Bama beats them in a couple weeks.
But as a conference right now,to me, right now it's kinda obvious the Big 12 looks stronger. Of course I am biased too :D
Guess we'll have to wait and see once we all get deeper into the season and play conference matchups.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 06:58 PM
IMHO,

Oklahoma>Mizzou>Florida>Texas>UGA

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:03 PM
Wilson made my list because he's the only other "big name" that I could think of. Even though I don't think he's a big name though...but I mean, who would you recommend?? Have your pick at any of the other SEC QBs to replace him and we'll still show as better than the SEC.
You're missing the point...our QBs are better than yours....I never said for certain we're a better conference because of the QB performance.
Also, in case you haven't noticed, we run the ball pretty well in the Big 12 as well, so I don't think you raise much of a point with the "run first" idea, especially in a thread that is comparing QBs to QBs.
In regards to the rankings....I think we all know those will be changing due to the fact that your AP #3 team looked awful playing against your unranked Gamecocks. They'll continue to slide, especially after your Bama beats them in a couple weeks.
But as a conference right now,too me, right now it's kinda obvious the Big 12 looks stronger. Of course I am biased too :D
Guess we'll have to wait and see once we all get deeper into the season and play conference matchups.

In strictly terms of passing yardage and efficiency, I would agree with you.

Hope you're right about the Tide vs UGA--but I have my doubts. I know they didn't look very good yesterday, but the dawgs are still a very good team.

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 07:03 PM
IMHO,

agreed

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 07:05 PM
In strictly terms of passing yardage and efficiency, I would agree with you.

Hope you're right about the Tide vs UGA--but I have my doubts. I know they didn't look very good yesterday, but the dawgs are still a very good team.
I won't be surprised one bit if your fightin' sabans take down georgia.

I'm not sold on Georgia whatsoever

P.S. I wasn't meaning to sound like a dickhead in my response post to your comment, just stating my opinion. After I read it, it kinda sounded like I was being an ***. So I wanted to clear that up.

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:05 PM
IMHO,

Are you talking teams or qbs?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:06 PM
agreed

I would say "">Texas>LSU>UGA, but LSU hasn't played anyone. I guess you can say the same about :texan:, but their OOC still is better than LSU's AND I doubt they lose to Arky!!

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 07:06 PM

I figured he was talking teams...and I tend to agree with that

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:08 PM

Well, teams.

But a team is only as good as their quarterback?

Quarterbacks:

Sam Bradford> Tim Tebow> Chase Daniel> Matthew Stafford> Colt McCoy

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:10 PM
honestly, I was not impressed with Stafford at all. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of having a bad game. Same with Tebow, plus, he has a heisman.

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 07:16 PM
IMHO,

Not only do I not totally agree with that, but it's faulty reasoning. Using that logic then this was true LAST season--

Bama>Colorado>Oklahoma...and that's a joke.

No way UT is better than Georgia. JMHO

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 07:19 PM
Not only do I not totally agree with that, but it's faulty reasoning. Using that logic then this was true LAST season--

Heh.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:29 PM

I'm just using my opinion based on who I've watched play and who I've been impressed with. I haven't seen much of Texas (except the late night UTEP game). I wasn't necessarily bowled over by any of Texas's wins so far, but I was far less impressed by Georgia in their games to date. To be fair, the only UGA game I have watched was this weekend against the Gamecocks (but I've seen the scoreboard and wasn't impressed with their other games either). I watched the whole game--start to finish. Moreno is underused and Stafford is overrated. Georgia's ranking is based on their ***-whopping of Hawaii. Both Texas and Georgia have horrors of conference schedules, and both will probably lose two games. Their records will not show how good they really are. If they were to play in the post season on a neutral sight, I would put money on a healthy :texan: team beating UGA.