PDA

View Full Version : In all fairness to Washington...

Soonerus
9/14/2008, 12:19 AM
...the facemask penalty, comitted by Clayton, I think, was one of the worst I have ever witnessed...

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 12:20 AM
...the facemask penalty, comitted by Clayton, I think, was one of the worst I have ever witnessed...

Yep. That was nasty.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 12:22 AM
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/photos?photoId=2037091&gameId=282570264

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/c5407759-1ed2-407a-98f9-637f56a8261f.jpg

Soonerus
9/14/2008, 12:23 AM
I do not think I have ever seen a helmet turned completely around like that..

effay
9/14/2008, 12:25 AM
After what those punks did to Granger, coupled with hysterical Pac-10 officiating across all their games today, I'd say they had that coming and more.

SleestakSooner
Yeah sure, but it was not done with malice and you could tell right away he didn't mean to do it, although I felt he could have let go a bit sooner. It did look awful on the replay, and I am glad the QB was alright, but something tells me his neck will ache for years after that.

goingoneight
It was bad for sure, but it looked worse due to the direction Locker was going. Good call to neg Clayton for it. Sometimes you're in the zone trying to be mean and you do something out of character and out of practice.

Soonerus
9/14/2008, 12:26 AM
It was clearly unintentional by Clayton...unlike the Granger deal...

effay
9/14/2008, 12:28 AM
The whole right side of Washington's O-line belongs in prison for assault and battery.

ousooners182
9/14/2008, 12:29 AM
yeah no crap

Soonerus
9/14/2008, 12:30 AM
They should be suspended...

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 12:32 AM
I'm waiting for someone to post the vid.

Soonerus
9/14/2008, 12:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtXBIRVmEnk

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 12:50 AM

spek.

OUstud
9/14/2008, 03:55 AM
I remember Crouch getting facemasked to death vs. KSU in 98...if someone could post that pic/vid that would be good...

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 03:58 AM
He was just sayin " LOOK at me BITCH " :D

shaun4411
9/14/2008, 04:36 AM
After what those punks did to Granger, coupled with hysterical Pac-10 officiating across all their games today, I'd say they had that coming and more.

nobody deserves that. it was incidental, and im sure keenan would never intentionally do that. but locker was probably not too far away from a broken neck.

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 05:26 AM

http://content.pyzam.com/graphics/insults/IBS.gif

adoniijahsooner
9/14/2008, 06:00 AM
AM I the only excited that teams get getting pissed off at our team every game? That tells me they are seeing a different team than they actually expected on the field. They actually believe they can win the game. I think we will see the same reaction from Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Mizzou if we meet in the championship game.

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 07:29 AM
As long as were getting these types of responses from the opposing Teams Offensive Players...I know we are kicking their a$$ each and every down.

I like the intensity...I don't care for the penalties though.

The facemask?

I think since the NCAA have gotten rid of the unintentional facemask...guys aren't going to even try and release. If the Refs and the NCAA don't want to enforce a unintentional facemask...why should a player worry about avoiding it if indeed it can be less brutal? I don't think it's good for College Football that they decided to just enforce 15 yards on every call...but it is what it is.

I hope nobody gets really hurt due to these NCAA changes.

AlbqSooner
9/14/2008, 07:36 AM
AM I the only excited that teams get getting pissed off at our team every game?

We had a coach when I was playing many years ago who said if you feel like throwing a punch you are better off just telling the guy. "Hey you are kicking my arse". That way there is no penalty.

Rogue
9/14/2008, 07:36 AM
3 differences between the facemask and the Granger assault.

1) Facemask wasn't intentional
2) Locker came back and played (was able to)
3) Clayton/OU was appropriately penalized 15 yards

The officials let this game get out of hand at the very beginning. They only call PAC-10 games so they knew about the tunnel deal. They never had control of this game.

Harry Beanbag
9/14/2008, 09:24 AM

That #72 punk *** bitch should have been ejected for demolishing the referee after the previous play.

TXBOOMER
9/14/2008, 10:05 AM
Those PAC 10 referees suck large Mexican donkeys. Washington committed at least 10 personal fouls in that game that were not called. If I were OU I would not schedule another game that required an away game at a PAC 10 stadium.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/14/2008, 10:25 AM
the reason it was so bad was because of that cage. most of the cages are round with plastic/rubber on them, but that one is squarish (well, it appears to be the same as it was 20 years ago ;) ).
__
\_

what would happen is you would grab it and your fingers would stick and then slide up the angle squeezing them together making it even harder to let go.

bluedogok
9/14/2008, 10:30 AM
Players also seem to be wearing helmets much looser than they should be, you see them flying off all the time and some put them back on like a slip-on loafer never undoing the chin strap. It doesn't do much good if it comes flying off in a light hit like it does for some.

mfosterftw
9/14/2008, 10:55 AM
I think since the NCAA have gotten rid of the unintentional facemask...guys aren't going to even try and release. If the Refs and the NCAA don't want to enforce a unintentional facemask...why should a player worry about avoiding it if indeed it can be less brutal? I don't think it's good for College Football that they decided to just enforce 15 yards on every call...but it is what it is.

It's it's going to be called, I might as well get my money's worth on it...

Yeah, I can see the Law of Unintended Consequences applying here, sort of like Fresno State's gunner and the Halo Rule.

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 10:58 AM
the reason it was so bad was because of that cage. most of the cages are round with plastic/rubber on them, but that one is squarish (well, it appears to be the same as it was 20 years ago ;) ).
__
\_

what would happen is you would grab it and your fingers would stick and then slide up the angle squeezing them together making it even harder to let go.

Good esplaine Bro thank you .

Johnny Utah
9/14/2008, 11:03 AM
AM I the only excited that teams get getting pissed off at our team every game? That tells me they are seeing a different team than they actually expected on the field. They actually believe they can win the game. I think we will see the same reaction from Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Mizzou if we meet in the championship game.

I saw that too in both the cinci and wash games. Is there a perception that OU is a "finesse" team and can be pushed around (although the season-to-date record and stats defy that)? Is it because OU recruits student-athletes with a certain level of character and not the thug element?

bluedogok
9/14/2008, 11:15 AM
It's it's going to be called, I might as well get my money's worth on it...

Yeah, I can see the Law of Unintended Consequences applying here, sort of like Fresno State's gunner and the Halo Rule.
That is how I feel about fouls in basketball, if you foul a guy he should never get a shot off.

mfosterftw
9/14/2008, 11:21 AM
That is how I feel about fouls in basketball, if you foul a guy he should never get a shot off.

Don't get me started on basketball (too late). I think the actual game concept of basketball is inherently flawed because you are often rewarding the player initiating the verboten contact by putting him on the line. The international game is a lot better about outside shooting and not clogging the lane, but it's still a yawner to me.

Harry Beanbag
9/14/2008, 11:31 AM
I saw that too in both the cinci and wash games. Is there a perception that OU is a "finesse" team and can be pushed around (although the season-to-date record and stats defy that)? Is it because OU recruits student-athletes with a certain level of character and not the thug element?

Yes, there is that perception. Dan Hawkins said as much last year.

tigepilot
9/14/2008, 11:35 AM
We had a coach when I was playing many years ago who said if you feel like throwing a punch you are better off just telling the guy. "Hey you are kicking my arse". That way there is no penalty.

That's how I see it. I used to be a 160 lb offensive lineman in High School (small school) and there were a lot of openents that would line up some 300 lb dude across from me that couldn't do crap. I'd keep driving them back over and over until they'd start getting mouthy in which case I'd always reply "I love you too". I'd say without any sarcasm, with a friendly smile, and loud enough that any nearby ref could tell I wasn't saying anything bad. Very often it was just enough to get the guy to throw a punch and of course the personal foul followed. :)

On a side note, why do people throw punches at the heads of people wearing helmets? Also, when a brawl breaks out on the field, why do people take off their helmets to get involved? I see it every year and just don't get it.

Rhino
9/14/2008, 12:39 PM
I remember Crouch getting facemasked to death vs. KSU in 98...if someone could post that pic/vid that would be good... That's the first thing I thought of too.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4226/facemaskcrouch2lp9.jpghttp://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5179/facemaskcrouchdx5.jpg

OUbench
9/14/2008, 02:59 PM
Interesting Info for those of us that didn't know....

New college football rules for 2008

The NCAA is instituting several new rules for the 2008 football season. They are:

• The play clock will be set to 40 seconds and will start when the ball is blown dead on the previous play. The old 25-second clock will be used on the referee's signal after a penalty, measurement, change of possession or timeout.

• The game clock will now start on the referee's signal and not on the snap following a play that goes out of bounds except for during the last two minutes of each half.

• There will be NO 5-yard incidental facemask penalty. Don't grab the mask, We don't want any alien freeks walking forward and looking at who is behind them. :eek: Instead a facemask penalty will always be 15 yards but only will be called for twisting, turning or pulling OR trying to put Mr. Potato"s Head on backwards.

• "Horse-collar" tackles, in which a defender grabs a ballcarrier inside the back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey and pulls him down, will be flagged as unnecessary roughness and given a 15-yard penalty. The rule will not apply inside the tackle box or to a quarterback in the pocket.

• Any contact made with the crown of a helmet will result in a 15-yard penalty. Hook 'em

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 03:00 PM
That's the first thing I thought of too.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4226/facemaskcrouch2lp9.jpghttp://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5179/facemaskcrouchdx5.jpg

Holy ****

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/14/2008, 03:28 PM
heh, its the same kind of mask. i just don't understand why they don't put a solid piece of clear plastic in that lower quadrant of that mask.

OUMallen
9/14/2008, 04:24 PM

Yeah, or not. I don't think risking snapping a person's neck is worth a cheapshot punch,

Cam
9/14/2008, 08:11 PM
That's the first thing I thought of too.

Yesterday's facemask call doesn't touch this one IMO. That was just crazy. If I remember correctly, there was no flag on the play.