PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thoughts

CK Sooner
9/13/2008, 11:11 PM
Offense - A

Defense - A

Special Teams - B

Bradford had another excellent night. Gresham, Broyles and Iglesias looked really good. I would have like to seen Broyles more though.
I don't know about Demarco, it just seems like he is running different. Chris brown looked amazing.

Special teams looked pretty good, you could tell they switched some players up on kickoff coverage, it may still need some work though. We need to put Broyles on the kick return squad, he has the moves.

Defense played really good also. We missed about 4 picks, but what can you do? Travis played another great game, he is our future star. Reynolds sustained an injury to his knee that his not known at this time. If he goes down hopefully Box can step up and make a positive impact. Granger also went down, his injury is looking worse than Reynolds. Bennett is an excellent replacement though, hopefully Granger can recover before Texas.

I really think we can win every game on our schedule, but I am not going to lie USC scares me, but if we play to our full potential I think we can beat them.

tommieharris91
9/13/2008, 11:12 PM
Defense - F

Venables wasn't fired during or after the game.

CK Sooner
9/13/2008, 11:14 PM
Defense - F

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/RumbleBritches/brent2.gif

Soonermagik
9/13/2008, 11:16 PM
Offense A+

Defense A

Special teams B

meoveryouxinfinity
9/13/2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20080913_OK@WA

mightysooner
9/13/2008, 11:21 PM
Offense get's an A+. Our defensive secondary still seems to be nowhere near receivers all the time though and that's getting really, really old. We never had int's either. I don't think it's the quality of the players we're getting back there either. I think we play waaaaay too much soft zone. But overall I'm pleased with the level of play from this year's squad.

CK Sooner
9/13/2008, 11:21 PM
Watch this video and tell me if Demarco looks the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6nOCef3Hic

Tulsa_Fireman
9/13/2008, 11:25 PM
Check it out.

I think the number 7 on his jersey MAY be in a different font.

RiddlerOK
9/13/2008, 11:26 PM
DeMarco looked good against Washington. Maybe he was a little more tentative but I didn't see anything to cause any worry. Heck he had 100 yards rushing. Not bad......not bad!. :)

meoveryouxinfinity
9/13/2008, 11:27 PM
I'm just waiting to see sack after sack again by English :( :(

Soonerus
9/13/2008, 11:28 PM
I hate to admit it but DeMarco looks slower...

mightysooner
9/13/2008, 11:29 PM
I think Demarco looks the same. I think what's hurting him, if anything really is, is the shared time with Chris Brown. He's a rythm back and he rotates too much to really get into his full rythm in my opinion. But what can I say? Chris Brown doesn't suck either......

We're wealthy at the tailback position and that's a good thing.

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah chris brown played a hell of a game and its about time ou fans stop overlooking how good he is

jdsooner
9/13/2008, 11:38 PM
Refs: F

OU had 11 penalties for 110 yards. Washington had 3 penalties for 8 yards.
When Washington committed a penalty; these Puke 10 Bozos managed to find an offsetting penalty.

Soonerus
9/13/2008, 11:41 PM
refs were bad but we were good enough where it did not matter...

StoopTroup
9/13/2008, 11:44 PM
Offense - A

Defense - A

Special Teams - B

If Moreland can start getting the ball deep in the EZ everytime....I think we can start to see straight A's every game.

StoopTroup
9/13/2008, 11:45 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/RumbleBritches/brent2.gif

heh.

StoopTroup
9/13/2008, 11:46 PM

When Washington committed a penalty; these Puke 10 Bozos managed to find an offsetting penalty.

Hopefully that was the worst bunch we'll see from here on out.

If it is...we should roll everyone we play.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/13/2008, 11:47 PM
DeMarco Murray= lightening
Chris Brown=2nd strike of lightening ;)

People seem to think Brown doesn't have the "home run" ability. I think he does.

soonergregmsw9802
9/13/2008, 11:49 PM
DeMarco looks the same. He just hasn't busted one yet, and I think a lot of us are paranoid. I felt the same way after the Chattie game, but after Cincy I'm more confident he's just as fast.

goingoneight
9/13/2008, 11:50 PM
There's nothing wrong with Murray, people. Nothing.

The guy splits touches with another solid back and one of the best quarterbacks in school history. If he was OUr only weapon on offense with a struggling O-Line and an inexperience QB, he'd be getting the carries to pad stats. I, for one... am glad we have the depth to just rotate guys and throw the ball around effectively and not center OUr offense around one guy anymore.

Murray still appears to be the more dangerous runner, but CB has closed the huge gap a little bit. DM has better acceleration, vision and moves still, though. CB has power and does his damage in one fluid move it seems. Both catch the ball well still which is the only way I see this 1-2 better than the AD/AP combo.

meoveryouxinfinity
DeMarco looks the same. He just hasn't busted one yet, and I think a lot of us are paranoid. I felt the same way after the Chattie game, but after Cincy I'm more confident he's just as fast.

agreed. He's been SO close SO many times.

soonergregmsw9802
DMac = Lightning 1
Brown = Lighning 2
Clapp = Thunder

He is like a Clapp of Thunder. :-)

meoveryouxinfinity
9/13/2008, 11:52 PM
DMac = Lightning 1
Brown = Lighning 2
Clapp = Thunder

He is like a Clapp of Thunder. :-)

I'm thinking.. Lightening strikes twice! signs for gameday.. if gameday ever comes back to norman... :rolleyes:

aurorasooner
9/13/2008, 11:55 PM
Don't have to watch the video to see that DM is a half-step slower than last year, but he's still a helluva back. He hasn't lost his quick-slash ability, but he still looks a half-a-step slower to me. Hopefully it's one of those things that will just take a little time. Our offense looked great tonight, and Bradford has developed into a special QB. He sure throws a sweet ball and it seems to be getting better every game.
Our D still worries me especially with the possibility of RR & Granger being out. I sure hope that with the week off, they'll both be back. The D swarmed to the ball, swarmed when Locker tried to scramble, & overall gave an excellent effort, but there's still a lot of holes in our secondary, imo. Locker just isn't a very accurate QB, imo and couldn't take advantage and find the open receiver.
I don't know why our DBs can't catch the d&^% football. This "brick-hands" in our defensive backfield especially when it's not a tipped ball has been going on for several years now and I don't understand it. I'd really like to see our guys actually make a couple of quality pics by just snatching the ball out of the air in front of the opposing receiver in the next couple of games before going to the RRR. We clearly had the better athletes tonight but Udub really helped us in the 1st half, as well.
Also kudos to KW. He called a quality game and had an excellent game plan. Damn that little fade that Bradford threw to Broyles in the corner of the EZ was a thing of beauty.

DrZaius
9/14/2008, 12:09 AM

He was on the postgame radio show and stated that he is working on his power running which is why you see him taking on guys more than trying to run around them like last year. Seems fine to me!

DrZaius
9/14/2008, 12:09 AM
I am getting real pleasure from watching Clapp slap people around.

Breadburner
9/14/2008, 12:15 AM
Chris Brown reminds me of Thurman Thomas from the Buffalo Bills.....

DrZaius
9/14/2008, 12:34 AM
Chris Brown reminds me of Thurman Thomas from the Buffalo Bills.....

;)

ousooners182
9/14/2008, 12:36 AM
chris brown reminds me of a stud running back who does alot of little things excellent

ousooners182
9/14/2008, 12:36 AM
and mark sanchez reminds me of a ******. i wish kirk would just stand up and catch him with a jab then a few hooks

DrZaius
9/14/2008, 12:38 AM
and mark sanchez reminds me of a ******. i wish kirk would just stand up and catch him with a jab then a few hooks

He does have some kind of disgusting berries on his face.

Crimson_Balls
9/14/2008, 12:56 AM
Do you think anyone could ever recover 100% from a dislocated knee cap. OUCH!

Plus DM has put on 10lbs in the off season. :D

SleestakSooner
9/14/2008, 12:57 AM

Speaking of offsetting penalties, what was up with their personal foul being offset by our not lining up properly, but when the tables were turned they enforced both penalties?

JLEW1818
9/14/2008, 01:02 AM
As much as I love to say it, I hate it, because its soooo early. But we are looking pretty damn good. This road game just gave the Team some freaking confidence. They are head hunters!!!

Crimson_Balls
9/14/2008, 01:04 AM
The Sooners look solid as a team this year. If OU can beat Texass, then they can make a run. TCU is next. At home after a bye week, I think we can hit em in the mouth!! Revenge from a few years back

Mizzou looks salty. Whoever represents the Big XII South better be able to stop Chase's pass attack. Or at least outscore those bastages!!

Pigface1
9/14/2008, 01:17 AM
F on special teams, everything else gets an A.

That may be harsh, but a missed extra point and then way too many yards are given up on kicks and punts. They need to get those loose ends tightened up, that stuff won't fly in big games. All it takes is one blown play like that.

Defense actually gets a B+. As are reserved for shutouts. lol

Either way, I love the fire they seem to be playing with right now. OU's playing like they have something to prove. I haven't seen that in a long time. Hopefully they'll stay healthy and play with that attitude all the way through the last game in January.

I was really pleased w/ the way everyone played on the road, and especially Bradford.

It may be blasphemy, but man, Gresham might be the best TE to ever play at OU. Holy crap he's a freak. No disrespect to Keith Jackson, but damn.

hawaii 5-0
9/14/2008, 01:40 AM
I enjoyed the intensity maintained by the Sooners for the complete game. No lapses.

Great playcalling, too.

I can't say I miss Chuck Long.

It's nice to go into an opponent's field and dominate.

:cool: 5-0

ousooners182
yes payback on tcu will be good.
guys were looking real good this year

its early

but looking good

ousooners182
Yeah i dont miss long either

pott_2
9/14/2008, 01:56 AM
I'm thinking.. Lightening strikes twice! signs for gameday.. if gameday ever comes back to norman... :rolleyes:

I say signs that read "Try to catch the Clapp"

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 03:23 AM

No he dont look the same as then to Now
He was FAST in those Vids :P

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 03:30 AM
Speaking of offsetting penalties, what was up with their personal foul being offset by our not lining up properly, but when the tables were turned they enforced both penalties?

My thots Zactly IF I could Id spek ya but I cant so Have this instead ok ?
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/thealice/kiss_lips.jpg

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 03:37 AM
My only concern with this Years team Is Stevens
Ive said that since the 1st Game
His extry Points are all Over the ****in Place .
He Needs to Get More Practice and Better at Kickin or WE need a NEW KIcker
Its that simple . Boy like that can Cost us Big in a Close Game .:mad:

Curly Bill
9/14/2008, 03:42 AM
My only concern with this Years team Is Stevens
Ive said that since the 1st Game
His extry Points are all Over the ****in Place .
He Needs to Get More Practice and Better at Kickin or WE need a NEW KIcker
Its that simple . Boy like that can Cost us Big in a Close Game .:mad:

I'll bet the money I used to use to help sponsor this place that he's not the kicker by the end of the season. ;)

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 03:56 AM
I'll bet the money I used to use to help sponsor this place that he's not the kicker by the end of the season. ;)

do we have another ?
Maybe the Water Boy ? :D

Curly Bill
9/14/2008, 04:00 AM
do we have another ?
Maybe the Water Boy ? :D

The dude we signed this year -- Tress Way. I don't know if he's better then Stevens right now or not, but if he's not why the hell did we sign him?

Vaevictis
9/14/2008, 05:16 AM
With respect to DeMarco Murray --

(1) I think he's bigger than last year. I don't remember seeing him push people around like he's doing now.
(2) Maybe he's a little slower than he used to be, but I think it's possible that he looks slower than he is. He seems to be juking less and just getting the hell down field for what yardage he can. Net result: Less flash, more consistent yardage?
(3) He seems to be getting more carries. More carries means more fatigue if your name isn't Adrian Peterson. Maybe that has something to do with it?

adoniijahsooner
9/14/2008, 06:06 AM
The Sooners look solid as a team this year. If OU can beat Texass, then they can make a run. TCU is next. At home after a bye week, I think we can hit em in the mouth!! Revenge from a few years back

Mizzou looks salty. Whoever represents the Big XII South better be able to stop Chase's pass attack. Or at least outscore those bastages!!

Mizzou beat Nevada, and southwest missouri state at home , and they look salty? We will beat mizzou by alteast three touchdowns if it comes to that. these guys are running fake field goals in the fourth quarter.

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 08:21 AM
Here's a few of my thoughts. I think we look awesome...and we must be looking scary to the rest of the nation, kind of like someone mentioned about SUC looking scary.

Our Offense is loaded. And how about Travis Lewis, that boy is a manchild out there....and English and company...I mean where do you stop listing our good players??

Here's my 2 concerns. Special teams as a whole, and the extra curricular stuff after the plays. OUr players should step back and watch the film to see how they have been lured into doing stupid crap after the plays the last 2 games. There's no need for that and if we get in a close game with someone this year, that kind of shiite could be costly. So I hope Stoops tears into them about that.

Now, in regards to my special teams concerns....our kick coverage had some brighter moments yesterday, but to me it still looked like some of the players were just diving around instead of hitting the returner solid and wrapping up. But it did seem much better than the Cinci game.

Olevet...I agree completely, our extra point kicks haven't consistently been down the middle, which wouldn't be as big a concern to me had Jimmy hit all extra points this year. But I can think of 2 that he's missed....surely we can do better than this. I know he's young, and I'm not meaning to call him out really...just as you said, maybe he needs more practice, cause there's some reason he can't kick straight. Maybe the holder is the issue, I don't know, but I hope they figure it out.

And concerning the kickoffs..I watched Tress Way some on t.v. when he played at Union last season. He consistently seemed to boot the kickoffs into the EZ, especially in one or both of their versus Jenks games. I'm sure they're not kicking in high school from as far a distance as a college kickoff is, but it sure seems worth putting him out there to see what he can do because Mooreland seems to average dropping the ball around the 10 to 12 yard line area, which isn't helpful when our kick coverage has lacked at times.

But overall you guys, I'm excited, we look really good and I hope we can keep this going and dominate the Big 12 and maybe get that shot at the BCS Championship...that would be nice.

IronHorseSooner
9/14/2008, 08:35 AM
I wonder if they are redshirting Tress to punt next year, after Knall Leaves. Stevens and Moreland are frosh, as well. Remember, we also have a new holder and deep snapper. As a former kicker, it is all about timing. Stevens is hitting the ball too high and late. He's hitting the top of the ball and it misses to the right. What that means is that he's trying to rush the ball off. When a kicker misses it badly across his body, he is overhitting it-he's try to "kill" the ball. To me, it looks like a timing issue. Fortunately, it can be handled with more practice. For the KOs, Moreland looks like he's getting under the ball too much. He has the ability to drive the ball into the end zone, but he's KOing like he's trying to kick FGs. It doesn't matter if it goes into the end zone if it's 30 feet in the air, or if it is 10 feet in the air. He just needs to drive through it. Again, he has the ability, he's done it, but he just needs more practice. They'll both be fine.

1890MilesToNorman
9/14/2008, 08:44 AM
DM will have a couple of huge games this year, ain't no doubt about it in my mind.

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 09:10 AM
I wonder if they are redshirting Tress to punt next year, after Knall Leaves. Stevens and Moreland are frosh, as well. Remember, we also have a new holder and deep snapper. As a former kicker, it is all about timing. Stevens is hitting the ball too high and late. He's hitting the top of the ball and it misses to the right. What that means is that he's trying to rush the ball off. When a kicker misses it badly across his body, he is overhitting it-he's try to "kill" the ball. To me, it looks like a timing issue. Fortunately, it can be handled with more practice. For the KOs, Moreland looks like he's getting under the ball too much. He has the ability to drive the ball into the end zone, but he's KOing like he's trying to kick FGs. It doesn't matter if it goes into the end zone if it's 30 feet in the air, or if it is 10 feet in the air. He just needs to drive through it. Again, he has the ability, he's done it, but he just needs more practice. They'll both be fine.

Then getcherass to Norman and Coach those Boys
Stevens dosent just hook right, he goes way Left , In the Middle, way right then Back left .:confused:

IronHorseSooner
9/14/2008, 09:23 AM
Then getcherass to Norman and Coach those Boys
Stevens dosent just hook right, he goes way Left , In the Middle, way right then Back left .:confused:

Can't, on Active Duty:D in Tampa, or I'd love to go back home.

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 09:30 AM
Can't, on Active Duty:D in Tampa, or I'd love to go back home.

get a fuking emergency Leave :D
Grats On yer service . you another flyboy ?

IronHorseSooner
9/14/2008, 11:36 AM
get a fuking emergency Leave :D
Grats On yer service . you another flyboy ?

Nope, Army Major, just stationed on MacDill AFB. I'm a budget guy. End of the fiscal year makes it impossible. Been to Iraq twice....The part of the game that most coaches admit that they don't understand or have a hard time evaluating are kickers. I can't think of any coaches at the HS, College, or Pro levels who were kickers. There are/were some commentators- Pat Summerall, Paul McGuire- who were kickers, but they also played other positions. The only good thing that Blake did while he was here was ask Uwe to come help with the kickers. In reality, the best people to evaluate kickers aren't football coaches, but soccer coaches. I hope this doesn't bane me, but I have been involved with soccer since I was five....Again, the tendencies are correctable. Now, for Tress Way, I have seen video on him, and this young man has GREAT form, from both soccer and football standpoints. He has better form than some NFL kickers. As for Jimmy Stevens, he had a great HS career, so I doubt he just suddenly forgot how to kick. Winchester is a young DS as well. I bet his Dad has him out doing deep snaps a lot. We also have a new holder. I cannot stress the timing issues. A good kicker is only as good as his deep snapper and holder. A good punter is only as good as his deep snapper.

Johnny Utah
9/14/2008, 12:36 PM
Nope, Army Major, just stationed on MacDill AFB. I'm a budget guy. End of the fiscal year makes it impossible. Been to Iraq twice....

Grats to both you and OLeVet on your service! My oldest son is on his way home from Iraq and my middle son commisions in the Army when he graduates in December. It helps one put this football stuff in perspective.

The VIIIth
9/14/2008, 01:09 PM
Bradford with a QB rating of 286!?

Seattle Post Intelligencer:

"- Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford's QB rating was 286"http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/huskiesfan/archives/148667.asp

He used this site to calculate that rating.http://www.primecomputing.com/

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 01:11 PM
Bradford with a QB rating of 286!?

Seattle Post Intelligencer:

"- Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford's QB rating was 286"http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/huskiesfan/archives/148667.asp

He used this site to calculate that rating.http://www.primecomputing.com/

Interesting

The VIIIth
9/14/2008, 01:14 PM
Other quotes were complimentary...

"- Oklahoma was in great condition, i.e. their players were muscular, cut, and in great overall shape. I'm beginning to think that UW needs to overhaul their strength and conditioning program. It's a major reason why we don't even look like we belong on the same field with a team like Oklahoma.

- What the heck was wrong with center Juan Garcia today?

- And punter Jared Ballman.

- Oklahoma did a fantastic job of removing UW TE Kavario Middleton from the game. He never got free in the secondary.

- Our seats are right behind the visitors' bench and I haven't seen a team as physically impressive as Oklahoma. Not even USC passes the "eye test" the way the Sooners do."

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 01:17 PM

"- Oklahoma was in great condition, i.e. their players were muscular, cut, and in great overall shape. I'm beginning to think that UW needs to overhaul their strength and conditioning program. It's a major reason why we don't even look like we belong on the same field with a team like Oklahoma.

- Oklahoma did a fantastic job of removing UW TE Kavario Middleton from the game. He never got free in the secondary.

- Our seats are right behind the visitors' bench and I haven't seen a team as physically impressive as Oklahoma. Not even USC passes the "eye test" the way the Sooners do."

He hiked it low ever time. It was pathetic.

olevetonahill
Grats to both you and OLeVet on your service! My oldest son is on his way home from Iraq and my middle son commisions in the Army when he graduates in December. It helps one put this football stuff in perspective.

Yes it do n
Tell yer son welcome Home for me .

CK Sooner
Yes it do n
Tell yer son welcome Home for me .

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/mac-trina/KISS.jpg

Hella Sideburns
9/14/2008, 01:18 PM
DM is fine. Beyond fine, probably. He was gashing them for 8+ almost every handoff, just because he didn't break a 20+ yarder doesn't mean he's lost a step (though he may have).

The VIIIth
9/14/2008, 01:32 PM
He hiked it low ever time. It was pathetic.

I'm thinkin' McCoy, Granger et al may have influenced some of that.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2008, 02:25 PM
This year's Sooners remind me of the late '90's Denver Broncos. Those Broncos teams had dominant offenses with Terrell Davis and John Elway, but they did not have dominant defenses. But the D units complimented the offense by playing "bend but not break" style until the offense got them a decent lead. Then they would switch to more high risk mode and try to create turnovers. Sure, they would give up a big play or score sometimes, but they already had the lead and the offense would probably get it right back anyway. If they did get a turnover, the offense would put the game away early. That team won back to back super bowls and came very close to running the table in '98-'99.

Dio
9/14/2008, 04:11 PM

Who wrote this, Sherman Alexie?

colinreturn
9/14/2008, 04:56 PM
Defense - F

spek

VA Sooner
9/14/2008, 05:01 PM
Team is coming around now. Kickoff/punt coverage better than against Cincy. Definitely need Mooreland's kicks into the endzone.

RBs, LBs, DBs, lines, QB, TEs... everything looking better and on the road. I feel much better.

VA Sooner
9/14/2008, 05:01 PM
I want a piece of Mizzou now!