PDA

View Full Version : Metallica's "Death Magnetic" cd

SoonerObsession
9/13/2008, 09:00 AM
I bought it yesterday and I have to say that it's the best thing since the black album. I know it's not cool to like Metallica anymore, but I never won any popularity contests anyways. St. Anger almost made me puke, but I really liked this one.

Boarder
9/13/2008, 09:19 AM
It's not that it's "not cool" to like Metallica. It's just that the music that they're putting out is wretched and if it were put out by an unknown band they'd have never even gotten signed to a record label.

Cam
9/13/2008, 11:41 AM
I'll need to give it a few listens before plunking down any coin for it.

I wasn't impressed with the 1st song that was released.

Veritas
9/13/2008, 12:28 PM
Give the whole thing a listen. You're right, it's their best effort since Black. That can be interpreted any number of ways.

http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601231

King Crimson
9/13/2008, 12:29 PM
i'd listen to it, but no way buy it.

Veritas
9/13/2008, 12:32 PM
I'll recorded it off their stream using Replay distribute it to my friends.

Go suck a dick, Lars. :)

Boarder
9/13/2008, 01:00 PM
Give the whole thing a listen. You're right, it's their best effort since Black. That can be interpreted any number of ways.

http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601231
Hey, go check out that new Hannah Montana. I've heard it's her best effort since her last effort. Check it out!

soonerinabilene
9/13/2008, 01:09 PM
Man, I was actually excited about this album, especially when they said they were going to let Kirk do solos again. Sadly, they are the only bright spot on the album. I was looking forward to Unforgiven III the most, cause the first two are among my favorite Metallica songs. And wouldnt you know it, they managed to make it suck.

King Crimson
9/13/2008, 01:15 PM
i'm not a Metallica groupy type and they were never a really a formative band for me...but i liked them.

my buddy used to own a bar and i'd go there on Friday afternoons just to get away from college students and college campus and he'd always put on Ride the Lightening....which i think is a almost a Deep Purple tribute LP. but we would rock the **** as he'd pour me beers and i'd help the kitchen guys with prep.

I love Master of Puppets. sadly, i think Metallica turned into arena rock/NFL theme song like AC/DC. and there ain't no coming back from that space.

the_ouskull
9/13/2008, 02:09 PM
I bought it yesterday and I have to say that it's the best thing since the black album. I know it's not cool to like Metallica anymore, but I never won any popularity contests anyways. St. Anger almost made me puke, but I really liked this one.

It's not uncool to like Metallica. It's Alternatallica that blows.

the_ouskull

JPNSKER
9/13/2008, 02:28 PM
It's definitely an interesting album.

I've only listened to it twice, but the riffs & drums are very similar to their garage days. The thing that bothers me the most, is JH's voice. They can go back to their roots instrumentally, but James' voice just doesn't have that "old school" quality anymore.

Not that I'm blaming him either, 'cause obviously that can't be reversed, but it definitely makes a difference.

SoonerObsession
9/13/2008, 04:35 PM
I guess I still like Metallica because they have the heavy metal sound without all the growling and constant screaming that so many bands have these days.

Veritas
9/16/2008, 02:25 PM
Ok. I've now listened to the entire album several times.

I like it. I don't love it, but I like it quite a bit. Given that their prior effort was a complete and total suckfest, this is hugely encouraging. Getting rid of that asspirate Bob Rock and bringing on Rick Rubin had a positive effect.

And I bought tickets to their show here in September.

NormanPride
9/16/2008, 02:54 PM
You're uncool now.

colleyvillesooner
9/16/2008, 03:45 PM
yep

TheUnnamedSooner
9/17/2008, 05:44 PM
I've listened to the album all the way through twice. Some of the songs a few more times. Much better than St. Anger. I really like the riffs and solos. All Nightmare Long is an early favorite of mine.

I will admit though that until you listen to a song a few times it does sound as if they just threw a bunch of riffs together into a big riff-mess. But after a couple times you start to see how they go together.

colleyvillesooner
9/18/2008, 10:29 AM
Saw this on Insider:

http://i38.tinypic.com/29ykt9g.jpg

Veritas
9/18/2008, 10:54 AM
You're uncool now.
I resent the implication that I was, at some point, cool in any way shape or form.

Boarder
9/18/2008, 10:55 AM
Kill 'em All Metallica is turning over in their grave looking at that photo.

I'll admit, there was one song that didn't sound completely horrible, I can't remember which one it was. It was not Unforgiven III or the Something that doesn't come back song, whatever that was called. However, I stand firm in my conclusion that if this album was put out by Johnny Pancake and the Waffle House Three it would have sold as many copies as Kfed.

Civicus_Sooner
9/18/2008, 12:06 PM
I loved, "Ride the Lightning," "Master of Puppets," and sorta liked, "And Justice for All," but I haven't heard anything good from them since the 80's sheesh.

Pricetag
9/18/2008, 12:51 PM
Heh, the former bassist for Suicidal looks like he actually wants to kill himself.

I heard the new single on the radio the other day without realizing what it was until the vocals started, and I thought it was pretty decent. I like the video for it, as well.

Dio
9/18/2008, 03:27 PM
Not the best album they've ever done, but it's a huge step in the right direction (Armani shopping sprees excluded).

crimsonrules
9/18/2008, 05:33 PM
Saw this on Insider:

http://i38.tinypic.com/29ykt9g.jpg

HEY...didn't you used to be...?

Nah, you just an old, fat white guy....BWAHHHHHHH!!!

StoopTroup
9/18/2008, 05:47 PM
SECURITY!

Sooner_Havok
9/18/2008, 08:13 PM
The day I bought St. Anger was the day I found out what happens to a CD put in a microwave. After that betrayal it will take a while for me to ever purchase a Metallica album again.

That said, after listening to the album a bit it doesn't sound half bad.

Also, I know I am a very small minority, but I actually liked Load. Not as much as I liked Justice, but i still liked it.

the_ouskull
9/19/2008, 07:06 AM
Every Alternatallica album purchased is another rotation that Cliff Burton does in his grave. I got on board with the Black album because they were headed in a new direction with it. If I'd have known what it was going to sound like once they got there, I'd have stopped listening with ...And Justice...

the_ouskull