PDA

View Full Version : Will Ike mess with Dish Network in NE OK?

ouwasp
9/13/2008, 12:25 AM
I just got Dish last week, and a new HD tv a couple weeks previously. Friends tell me heavy rain affects Dish. How much?

I figure I may have to head to my dad's cable tv hook-up...all in all, life could be a lot worse, just wondering what to expect...

bcgvh
9/13/2008, 12:47 AM
Thick cloud cover screws it up too. Chances are you will have some problems getting a signal tomorrow. But maybe you'll get lucky.

goingoneight
9/13/2008, 12:52 AM
Don't fart too hard, either... that's been known to interfere as well.

boomersooner28
9/13/2008, 12:54 AM
I just got Dish last week, and a new HD tv a couple weeks previously. Friends tell me heavy rain affects Dish. How much?

I figure I may have to head to my dad's cable tv hook-up...all in all, life could be a lot worse, just wondering what to expect...

SKAROOOD!

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 01:09 AM
Just pray to the football gods and you will be fine

olevetonahill
9/13/2008, 02:49 AM

youll be Ok

bluedogok
9/13/2008, 09:01 AM
If y'all lose the signal during storms, then the dish needs to be re-aligned.

I have had Directv for about 10 years, I rarely lose the signal, in heavy storms I may have a breakup but that is about it. I typically do my own installation but I did have that happen after the only "professional installation" that I had because they gave me the new multi-satellite dish. I went up on the roof and found every nut/bolt loose, I realigned it and put Loctite on everything and haven't had a problem for the last two years.

1890MilesToNorman
9/13/2008, 09:08 AM
I only lose my signal in really heavy rain.

tigepilot
9/13/2008, 04:10 PM
I only lose my signal in really heavy rain.

Up until VERY recently I'd say the same thing. However, this past week we had a lot of continuous rain here, not really that heavy though, and we were without satellite for most of the day for several days. Before this past week I can probably count on one hand how many times I was trying to watch satellite and actually lost signal and each instance the loss would be brief. Been with DishNetwork for about 3 and a half years. I probably need to check my alignment... yours should be good with a recent install though.

tulsaoilerfan
9/13/2008, 04:40 PM
If y'all lose the signal during storms, then the dish needs to be re-aligned.

I have had Directv for about 10 years, I rarely lose the signal, in heavy storms I may have a breakup but that is about it. I typically do my own installation but I did have that happen after the only "professional installation" that I had because they gave me the new multi-satellite dish. I went up on the roof and found every nut/bolt loose, I realigned it and put Loctite on everything and haven't had a problem for the last two years.

Really? This happens all the time to us when it rains, but it usually comes back on; funny thing is i called Directv to complain about it and my customer service rep told me nothing could be done:mad:

1890MilesToNorman
9/13/2008, 04:41 PM
Since my last post on this subject the damn DVR switch died!!! It worked until last night at 1:00am and when we turned it on at noon today it was toast. Spent an hour on the phone with Dish and they say it is cabling, cabling my ***!! Nothing changed over those 11 hours and I had satellite signal a couple of times for 10 to 15 minutes each time. i called them back and demanded they bring a new DVR switch on Monday "between noon and 5:00pm", the proverbial time for the cable dude to show up. I do have one receiver working on the second floor and will be sending it to my laptop on the first floor via SlingBox for the Sooner game tonight. Thank God for SlingBox and to hell with Dish Network

bluedogok
9/13/2008, 06:08 PM
Really? This happens all the time to us when it rains, but it usually comes back on; funny thing is i called Directv to complain about it and my customer service rep told me nothing could be done:mad:
I tweek the dish until I get the highest signal level possible, it takes me about an hour to get it that fine tuned. We need to reroff the house and I had planned on moving and redoing the wiring in the house to run it through the walls and get it off the house, I need to get a signal meter like the Acutrac22 PRO MKII Satellite Signal Tracking Meter (http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SACUTRACPRO), it makes the installation much easier than calling the wife inside the house and asking for readings. I have done enough installations that it would be nice to just have it for the future, since I don't really expect others to do work to the level that I would do myself.

swardboy
9/13/2008, 06:18 PM
If it's not too detailed, how/where do you get readings?

bluedogok
9/13/2008, 06:23 PM
Which receiver?

Without the meter, on the HR-20/21 you go to:

MENU -> PARENTAL, FAV'S & SETUP -> SYSTEM SETUP -> SAT & ANT -> VIEW SIGNAL STRENGTH

It gives you the different readings for the different sats/transponders. If you want more info you can try the Directv forums at DBSTalk.com (http://www.dbstalk.com).

1890MilesToNorman
9/13/2008, 06:41 PM
If you are referring to my post? I was going to diagnostics and the screen with signal strength. The signal has currently returned and I am good to go, I think the receiver is dying because this has happened a few times in recent weeks. i have 3 installations for Dish Network in 3 different buildings and 2 of them have become issues over the past month. I am In Maine and are a whole lot north of most of you, satellites seem to become a problem this far north.

soonerinabilene
9/13/2008, 06:46 PM
If a squirrel pisses within 10 yards of my dish, I lose the signal.

ouwasp
9/13/2008, 06:46 PM
so far so good.....no signal in my bedroom, but the new living room tv is running just fine! :)

Of course, the real Ike hasn't shown up yet....

bluedogok
9/13/2008, 06:49 PM
1890 - I was replying to swardboy's post.

RJSooner
10/4/2010, 08:58 PM
there has to be heavy rain in a decent line southwest of you (in the direction that your dish is pointing). Heavy rain right on top of you usually doesn't knock it out.. but if its a line of storms to the SW then it can knock it out. Which in Oklahoma, most of our storms ARE in a line stretching SW.

Ive probly had mine go out 5 times in the 10 years ive been back in OK.

I have dishnetwork.

If the wind knocks it out then you have a crap install.