PDA

View Full Version : This story gives me gas

Soonerbabeinbama
9/11/2008, 08:51 PM
So the buzz around town today was that gas was going to be going up $1.41 by tomorrow. Right now I'm paying $3.51 per gallon. Sho nuff, on my way home from work I noticed that there were lines of cars spilling out into the street at every gas station. In true "monkey see...monkey do" fashion, I joined in the line. Took me about 30 minutes to get to the pump. Sign on pump read "Due to Hurricane Ike, gasoline in the southeastern states is expected to be in short supply. Please limit your gasoline to 10 gallons per car." Anyone else experiencing this? Gas shortage my fanny - IMO it is just the powers that be sticking it to us once again - but what do we do? Interesting, I remember on THE 9-11, cars were also lined up at the pumps because there was a fear of gas shortage. Deja-Vu all over again.

OUDoc
9/11/2008, 09:04 PM
Oklahoma (maybe federal) law says they can't increase the price more than 10% in a day (something like that).
It's BS.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/11/2008, 09:09 PM
Just my dumb luck the gas will probably be down to $3.00 per gallon tomorrow!

tommieharris91
9/11/2008, 09:09 PM
Yea, it's Oklahoma state law that doesn't allow more than a 10% spike.

No gas shortage here, but I'm gonna fill up while it's still cheap.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/11/2008, 09:13 PM
Its the Ike Spike:D

olevetonahill
9/11/2008, 09:37 PM
Yea, it's Oklahoma state law that doesn't allow more than a 10% spike.

No gas shortage here, but I'm gonna fill up while it's still cheap.

You have a weird Idea Of Cheap :P

Rogue
9/11/2008, 09:40 PM
Gouging.
I blame George W. Bush.

olevetonahill
9/11/2008, 09:42 PM
Gouging.
I blame George W. Bush.

Didnt you get the Memo ?
Its Gores Fault for Losin in 2000 :eek:

tommieharris91
9/11/2008, 09:44 PM
You have a weird Idea Of Cheap :P

The 7-11 near my place dropped prices today. I'm pretty sure it won't last.

Preservation Parcels
9/11/2008, 09:57 PM
It's not just going up in the south. I filled up at $3.29 this morning in Delaware. On the way home, it was $3.59. Ouch.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/11/2008, 10:03 PM
I drive to Panama City, FL almost every weekend and the gas there is always about 30 cents per gallon more than it is here in Alabama. Guess they must be gouging the tourists. The price there right now is $3.69 per gallon for regular, and actually, that is pretty low.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2008, 10:17 PM
Gouging.
I blame George W. Bush.

You can't fix stupid.

Seriously, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. All it takes is someone (probably someone who owns a gas station) to start spreading the rumor that "OMG, gas is going to spike $1.50 per gallon higher tomorrow because of teh hurricanez!" Then a whole bunch of people bite, and next thing you know there are lines out into the streets at gas stations. Which means more people driving past thing "Oh, ****! I better buy some gas in case these people know something I don't!"

GottaHavePride
9/11/2008, 10:18 PM
I drive to Panama City, FL almost every weekend and the gas there is always about 30 cents per gallon more than it is here in Alabama. Guess they must be gouging the tourists. The price there right now is $3.69 per gallon for regular, and actually, that is pretty low.

Yeah. Usually gas is cheaper in Norman than it is in Wichita (about 3 hours away) by 10 cents a gallon or so, but here lately Wichita has actually been 5 to 10 cents cheaper than Norman. Weird.

NCSooner18
9/11/2008, 10:26 PM
So why didn't it go up like that when Gustav came through? They shut down all the offshore rigs then too.

8timechamps
9/11/2008, 10:32 PM
Didn't some dude pull this same stunt right after 9/11? I think he ended up doing time...someone less lazy than I may want to do the research.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/11/2008, 10:38 PM
You can't fix stupid.

Seriously, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. All it takes is someone (probably someone who owns a gas station) to start spreading the rumor that "OMG, gas is going to spike $1.50 per gallon higher tomorrow because of teh hurricanez!" Then a whole bunch of people bite, and next thing you know there are lines out into the streets at gas stations. Which means more people driving past thing "Oh, ****! I better buy some gas in case these people know something I don't!"

deer lowered - I hate being stupid!! You hit the nail on the head with that one GHP.

proud gonzo
9/11/2008, 10:49 PM
deer lowered - I hate being stupid!! You hit the nail on the head with that one GHP.we hate you being stupid too ;)

Soonerbabeinbama
9/11/2008, 10:52 PM
we hate you being stupid too ;)

stupid - but still adorable!!:D

mdklatt
9/11/2008, 11:03 PM
Didn't some dude pull this same stunt right after 9/11? I think he ended up doing time...someone less lazy than I may want to do the research.

That 10% law wasn't in effect that day, that's for sure. A bunch of gas stations around here jacked up their prices, and to this day I won't go near any of them.

tommieharris91
9/12/2008, 12:55 AM
stupid - but still adorable!!:D

How you doin? :D

Blue
9/12/2008, 01:25 AM
Besides the attention whoring...in mybusiness, petroleum based products are not going down a penny from the 145 a barrel highs. It makes me furious. You're paying 75 cents more a gallon than a year ago per gallon b/c the dollar is weakened! Oil was 100 doll a barrel a year ago today, yet today your paying 75 cents more. It's a ****ing rackett!