PDA

View Full Version : Olevet...Car Problems Again

StoopTroup
9/11/2008, 05:45 PM
After we got rid of the old green Taurus...the silver one has been giving me fits.

1993 Ford Taurus 3.8 L engine.

The car has had the Alternator light blinking on and off for 4 or 5 years now. IT gets stronger when you accelerate and goes off when you let off the gas. The darn car is like an energizer bunny...just keeps going and going. It just went over the 100,000 mark.

The last rain I was driving and the car just quit running. All the dash board lights came on and I could hear this buzz. I found the Accessory relay black box under the plastic plate that covers the radiator area. The relay has lots of wires going into the plug that fits into the relay and to take the plug out of the relay you have to use a 5/16 socket and ratchet to loosen the long winded bolt that holds it into the relay. What a pain this is.

Anyway...I replaced the box with one from O'Reilly's ($72.00 :eek: Lifetime warranty though :D ). Yesterday it went out on me again. I put the old one back in and got the car back Home....thankfully. I then went and got another one from O'Reilly's and put it in this morning (5 am :eek: ) before heading to work. Everything was going good. On the way Home...it went out on the Expressway. :mad: :( :confused: I went and got another one and a new alternator ($175.00 Lifetime Warranty). My thought was to change the relay and get the car off the expressway and Home so that I could change the Alternator and hopefully solve my problem. I made it about 1 mile from the house before it went out again. :mad:

I'm gonna take the Wife's car tomorrow and then go back to the car and replace the Alternator and the relay (again). Hopefully it solves my problem and if there is a short...it's in the alternator.

My question is...I've done a search on this and it seems this has happened to other folks. If this doesn't fix it...should I just give up and go get another car. I need a dependable car right now when I can't ride the bike.

Electrical problems on old cars aren't worth spending the dough on is my attitude.

What say you?

Any wisdom you or anyone else could share?

TIA

ST

olevetonahill
9/11/2008, 05:50 PM
From what youve said It sounds to me like the Built in Regulator in the Altinator Is Overcharging the system. Cuaseing it fry yer Modual .
Befor you Put the New one on Take the Old one into have it tested . Orielly will do it for Free.

StoopTroup
9/11/2008, 05:53 PM
From what youve said It sounds to me like the Built in Regulator in the Altinator Is Overcharging the system. Cuaseing it fry yer Modual .
Befor you Put the New one on Take the Old one into have it tested . Orielly will do it for Free.

Good idea. thanks.

olevetonahill
9/11/2008, 05:55 PM
Good idea. thanks.

Peem me for a Money savin tip ;)

StoopTroup
9/11/2008, 05:58 PM
Peem me for a Money savin tip ;)

If it has anything to do with me doing the work myself...I got that covered.

I was hoping Kenny Chesney would be driving by and feel sorry for the working guy and just go buy me a new truck. :D

Bastage was nowhere to be found when I needed him.

I could have put an end to that old Garth rumor. :D :pop:

OU-HSV
9/11/2008, 07:35 PM
Fords suck. :D

The End

CK Sooner
9/11/2008, 07:36 PM
Fords suck.

The End

The man speaks the truth.

boomersooner28
9/11/2008, 08:11 PM
Call Tony Romo. I hear he helps people with car trouble.

boomersooner28
9/11/2008, 08:14 PM
here. this will help explain my response. ;)

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/899904.html