PDA

View Full Version : Win #100 for Stoops on the horizon

RiddlerOK
9/11/2008, 11:30 AM
I am kinda surprised there isn't more chatter regarding this weekend's game with Washington and the fact that this will likely be win number 100 at Oklahoma for Bob Stoops.

I will reserve congratulations for the victory but would like to mention that you've done us proud Bob!

It's good to be a Sooner Fan these days!

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/11/2008, 12:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=iform0809

Alabama coach Nick Saban won the 100th game of his college career last Saturday at Tulane. But when Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops reaches No. 100, which should come Saturday at Washington, he will make history.

Not because Stoops is in only his 10th season. Even at 100-22, Stoops would tie for eighth on the list of fastest to reach 100 victories. He would be in good company: Also at 122 games are Joe Paterno, Barry Switzer and Henry Williams, a turn-of-the-last-century coach at Army and Minnesota.

The history (and thanks to Berry Tramel of The Daily Oklahoman for pointing it out) is that Stoops will make Oklahoma the first school to have four coaches win 100 games. Stoops will join Bennie Owen, Bud Wilkinson and Switzer as 100-game winners at Oklahoma.

Among the schools with three 100-game winners: USC (Howard Jones, John McKay, John Robinson), Michigan (Fielding Yost, Bo Schembechler and Lloyd Carr), Georgia Tech (John Heisman, Bill Alexander, Bobby Dodd) and Tennessee (Gen. Robert Neyland, Johnny Majors, Phillip Fulmer).

Next up: Trojans coach Pete Carroll needs 23 victories to reach 100. But given the short leashes on which coaches work these days, it's easy to see the possibility that USC and Oklahoma, with their quartets of 100-win coaches, would stand alone for some time to come.

After Carroll, I can see Michigan joining this list in about 10-15 years, provided Rich Rod has consistent success, and doesn't cut-and-run for greener pastures.

bringit
9/11/2008, 12:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=iform0809

After Carroll, I can see Michigan joining this list in about 10-15 years, provided Dick Rod has consistent success, and doesn't cut-and-run for greener pastures.

FIFY

SoonerDood
9/11/2008, 02:19 PM
He should've had it 2 games quicker.:mad: