PDA

View Full Version : PAC-10 Ref Connectivity

soonerspudman
9/11/2008, 09:45 AM
Interesting diddy connecting the OU-Oregon debacle with last weekend's UW-BYU uproar, I'm convinced the PAC-10 officials are an extension of the federal government.

http://fannation.com/si_blogs/the_sweep/posts/3101

Piware
9/11/2008, 09:51 AM
They used to work for the Department of Interior but went on a bette gig.

IronHorseSooner
9/11/2008, 04:20 PM
And, don't forget, that Cutaia was the equipment manager on the HS team that Mike Bellotti played.

Hot Rod
9/11/2008, 04:42 PM
We best not even think about celebrating after a TD.

cheezyq
9/12/2008, 12:22 AM
2006:
Cutaia = referee who stood over a pile of football players and as an OU player came out of the pile with the ball declared "First down, Oregon"

2007:
Cutaia = head official whose crew upheld a fumble after an Oregon State player voluntarily released the ball to the turf nearly an eternity after his entire body had made contact with the ground.

2008:
Cutaia = HEAD OF PAC-10 OFFICIATING!

Incompetent? Nooooooo problem!

"So you went from the mailroom to executive vice president in 2 days?" - Seinfeld

KantoSooner
9/12/2008, 08:56 AM
The incompetence is one thing. Why, we, here in the glorious Big 12 have referees who can stand over a receiver two yards inside the nearest sideline and declare him to be 'out of bounds'.
The clear conflicts of interest are another.
One must assume that the Pac10 simply likes it that way. The rest of the country should refuse to play any Pac10 team on their home turf unless/until they clean up their officiating problems.

85sooners
9/12/2008, 09:23 AM
pac 10 cheats

Jason White's Third Knee
9/12/2008, 09:29 AM
Shenanigans.

Heh.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 09:44 AM
pac 10 cheats

:eek:

Quack 10
9/12/2008, 10:22 AM
One glance confirmed his suspicions:

Behind a bush on the side of the road, there was no severed arm, no dismembered trunk of a man in his late fifties, no head in a bag, nothing. Not a sort.

IronHorseSooner
9/12/2008, 10:52 AM
The problem may be with Cutaia himself. Look at the three calls in question: OU-UO; Oregon State; and U-Deb. The first directly benefitted his high school teammate and friend, Mike Belotti. The second and third went against UO's main two rivals- Oregon State and U-Dub. Now, in the Big XII, we have two officiating crews who have done similar shenanigans- Bible's and Crystal's. Their crews tend to make calls favoring UTerus, and against UT's main rivals (OU, A&M, and TTECH). The difference is that the Big XII did not elevate those two to leadership positions, and we don't let our refs officiate non-conference home games. In the end, none of them- Cutaia, Bible, or Crystal- should be reffing games with their faves or against their chief rivals. Ask the question, and be honest, could you be objective if you were an official reffing a game involving OU or that would benefit OU, AND you knew that the league office would turn a blind eye?

St. Louis Sooner
9/12/2008, 11:30 AM
does anyone know if we play @ a Pac-10 location in future seasons?

i'd be surprised if we do; stoops has admitted by going to WU this sat we're simply honoring our contract;

IronHorseSooner
9/12/2008, 12:12 PM
does anyone know if we play @ a Pac-10 location in future seasons?

i'd be surprised if we do; stoops has admitted by going to WU this sat we're simply honoring our contract;

My previous post should answer that. Any conference that has someone as questionable as Cutaia running the officiating should be avoided at all cost. I know that we have some other big name opponents in the next few years. I would like to see an occassional match-up with an SEC school. With his ties to Coach Spurrier, maybe they could turn that into a home-and-home. Arkansas might be another possibility.

OU-HSV
9/12/2008, 12:32 PM
PAC 10 refs suck. That is obvious.
Now, lets just hope we can run the score up so much that we don't have to worry about the possibility of one of these *** thumper refs' poor calls effecting the outcome of the game

soonerinabilene
9/12/2008, 12:48 PM
As far as the U-dub game goes, it was the rule, not the ref, that was the problem. He called it exactly as the rules state he has to. Now, could he have used his own judgement, yes, but by rule that is not a judgement call. It sucks, and if it happened to us i would of course be pissed, but more at the stupid rule than at the ref. Heck, the first South Carolina game this year had a stupid penalty called because of this rule- a safety dropped a pick and did 10 push ups because that is what they do in practice when they drop a ball, and he got an unsportsmanlike call for it. I understand not wanting a bunch of college players to turn into T.O and Chad Johnson, but the rule is written to where judgement cannot be used to make the call.

With that being said, we need to hang a half a hundred this weekend to make sure we dont get ducked again.

cheezyq
9/12/2008, 02:32 PM
As far as the U-dub game goes, it was the rule, not the ref, that was the problem....

Sorry, I totally disagree. The rule states that enforcement against those types of actions is intended to avoid unsportsmanlike behavior or behavior where the player tries to delay the game. That leaves room for judgment, and the official clearly made an incorrect judgment call. It was CLEAR that Locker was simply excited about tying the game. There was nothing unsportsmanlike about it, and the fact that it took place after scoring a TD means that it couldn't have been to intentionally delay the game.

The RULE isn't the problem, though it could perhaps be worded differently. The CALL was clearly the problem with that play.

Regardless, it's always a good idea to inform your players of the rules so that they can avoid putting incompetent referees in the position of making a judgment call.

Statalyzer
9/12/2008, 05:25 PM
As far as the U-dub game goes, it was the rule, not the ref, that was the problem. He called it exactly as the rules state he has to. Now, could he have used his own judgement, yes, but by rule that is not a judgement call.

Holding is technically not a judgment call either, but refs still use their judgment to not throw a holding flag on every single play, only the ones where it obvious affects the result. Also, the rules say a player must either hand the ball to a ref, or leave it near the dead ball spot. He did just that - the ball landed right next to him in the endzone.

The bad call wasn't responsible for the blocked kick, however. The guy just plain broke through poor blocking and would have stuffed the attempt no matter what yardline it was one.

You guys won't have to worry about the PAC-10 refs for this game though. If Washington loses by fewer than 4 touchdowns I will be surprised. If they lose by fewer than 3 I will be astonished.

Their crews tend to make calls favoring UTerus, and against UT's main rivals (OU, A&M, and TTECH).

Didn't realize Mike Leach posted on this board.

Earickson
9/12/2008, 05:54 PM
For some reason, the excessive celebration is a big deal to college football.

I remember when I played college ball ten years ago, there were two films that the coaching staff HAD to show us before the season. One was on the NCAA rules in concerns to gambling, and the other was a video that was supposed to highlight any new rules or rule changes. That second video was nothing but "excessive celebration" crap, and trust me, after watching it no one had any clear idea what would draw a flag or not. There's tons of gray area in that one. Unless you are the kind of person who doesn't see grey, just black and white. Hey, isn't that the color of shirts that these referees don for their appearances? Very interesting.

Cam
9/12/2008, 06:30 PM
I was pretty surprised we didn't get a couple more excessive celebrations against Cincy.

SaraHayden
9/12/2008, 11:31 PM
We can always do a taekwondo takedown of the Pac-10 refs if they decide to screw us again.
http://img139.imagevenue.com/loc834/th_80185_cubantaekwondo_122_834lo.jpg (http://img139.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=80185_cubantaekwondo_122_834lo.jpg)

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 05:41 AM
stoops has some grenades ready

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 05:42 AM
so no need to worry