PDA

View Full Version : Texas just got a bye week

85Sooner
9/11/2008, 07:10 AM
Texas vs Arkansas has been postponed due to Hurricane Ike. It is now scheduled for 9-27-08. Just FYI

batonrougesooner
9/11/2008, 07:46 AM
They just lost a bye week.

OUMallen
9/11/2008, 08:30 AM
They moved their BYE week.

OUMallen
9/11/2008, 08:31 AM
Which is actually good because I think they go to Colorado the week before us. IT was like this for them:

BYE
@Colo
RRS

Now it's
ARK
@Colo
RRS

Makes it more difficult for them to prepare for us with three meaty games in a row (I know Ark ain't that good, but still). Plus I think they have Mizzou the week after us. VERY tough schedule upcoming for the whorns and if they make it through unscathed, I think they should win the dadgum MNC.

Mandibleclaw
9/11/2008, 09:07 AM
Damn, that was gonna be my afternoon game.:pop:

colleyvillesooner
9/11/2008, 09:19 AM
good luck with all that. UT vs. Ark and Austin city limits on the same day? and you thought traffic was bad normally in Austin...

OUMallen
9/11/2008, 09:57 AM
good luck with all that. UT vs. Ark and Austin city limits on the same day? and you thought traffic was bad normally in Austin...

WIll NOT be a good day to hang out in Austin. Or need an ambulance. Or have a baby. Or order pizza delivery....

ATX Sooner
9/11/2008, 10:37 AM
do what I do and ride a bike during ACL weekend. I can beat friends in cars to most places that weekend.

1st post....YEA!!

Pieces Hit
9/11/2008, 10:47 AM
I thought they were bi all the time. :)

Jacie
9/11/2008, 08:10 PM
I think this one's a wash either way for the whorns. For saxet, a bye the week after playing OU and before meeting Misery could have been a good time to have it. As it now stands, it just ruins the whorn faithful plans for this weekend. What would be funny would be to hear about someone who had planned one of those really big important events (like a wedding) around the games to correspond to the bye week.

A bye week sometimes hurts a team that has a big game the following Saturday, especially coming early in the season. I know the tOSU fans are hoping that is the case with USuC.

bluedogok
9/11/2008, 08:52 PM
I think this one's a wash either way for the whorns. For saxet, a bye the week after playing OU and before meeting Misery could have been a good time to have it. As it now stands, it just ruins the whorn faithful plans for this weekend. What would be funny would be to hear about someone who had planned one of those really big important events (like a wedding) around the games to correspond to the bye week.

A bye week sometimes hurts a team that has a big game the following Saturday, especially coming early in the season. I know the tOSU fans are hoping that is the case with USuC.

I know of a few who have faced that issue since this has happened. Many won't be able to go on the 27th as their families had other plans.

goingoneight
9/11/2008, 08:54 PM
I don't know, a bye week may be tougher than playing Arkansas.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2008, 10:35 PM
do what I do and ride a bike during ACL weekend. I can beat friends in cars to most places that weekend.

1st post....YEA!!

Off-topic:

Did you see the Top Gear episode where they decided to race a car vs. a marathon runner along the course of the London marathon at rush hour?

The runner won. By about 10 minutes.

47straight
9/11/2008, 11:50 PM
BBQ sandwich says it doesnt even rain in austin.

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2008, 12:03 AM
I'd be an a-hole and say how they are wusses who can't play in a little rain, but then I'd be forced to remember our own recent rain/lightning delay.

47straight
9/12/2008, 12:14 AM
I'd be an a-hole and say how they are wusses who can't play in a little rain, but then I'd be forced to remember our own recent rain/lightning delay.

They can't play in a little rain and wind.

Nothin wrong with clearing the stands in lighting. That'll hurt ya. Rain and wind only hurts soft universities who realize rain and wind and mud = upset special.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/12/2008, 12:15 AM
I like a tx-ar game. No matter who wins, you can always be glad the other one lost.

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2008, 01:34 AM
yep...either one works for us: either the SEC sucks and lost to a third rate big 12 team that we beat or Texass is still great and only lost to the mighty SEC before we crushed them.

texas bandman
9/12/2008, 02:10 AM

1st post....YEA!!

Welcome, fellow nOOb.

SoonerRecon
9/12/2008, 11:36 AM

their last game in the rain in austin was last year when kstate throttled that arse. zero hotel space for the make up game, ACL fest will have this city suffocating w/ traffic, even more so than usual.

ATX Sooner
9/12/2008, 12:55 PM
Welcome, fellow nOOb.
Thanks, bandman. I love living in the midst of enemy territory, especially during football season. My buddies no longer talk trash to me like they used to. I guess they all learned their lesson.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks, bandman. I love living in the midst of enemy territory, especially during football season. My buddies no longer talk trash to me like they used to. I guess they all learned their lesson.

:texan:

Statalyzer
9/12/2008, 05:22 PM

Lightning is one thing, rain and wind are another. If we postpone the game for this because there might be lightning, we should be postponing every game that happens on a day when the forecast predicts rain, just in case some lightning happens too.

UT vs. Ark and Austin city limits on the same day? and you thought traffic was bad normally in Austin...

No kidding.

I know of a few who have faced that issue since this has happened. Many won't be able to go on the 27th as their families had other plans.

That's the situation that I'm in. I'm quite sure I'm not the only college football fan who intentionally schedules fall weekend trips to happen on his school's bye week. Now it looks like I'll have to watch the first half of the game and then take off and drive like hell while listening to the 2nd half on the radio, unless ABC reschedules the game to 6pm in which case I'll miss the whole thing. :mad:

ousooners182
9/12/2008, 06:33 PM
as much as i hate texas they sure better be undefeated when we play them..same with mizzou

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 06:33 PM
as much as i hate texas they sure better be undefeated when we play them..same with mizzou

Doubtful

bluedogok
9/12/2008, 06:42 PM
Well, at the time they called it all the storm tracks had it coming over Corpus and coming right over Austin, that was before the track changed to Galveston. I also think there was an expected evacuation of Houston like for Rita, hotels rooms were booked up all the way to DFW for that and it was nuts here during that event. I can understand why they called it with the data available at that time.

As far as ACL Fest and the Whorns-Hogs weekend, I am glad that I live far south and most everywhere I go is Mopac west...I rarely get near I-35 most of the time.

ousooners182
9/12/2008, 07:01 PM
They should just play the game in a hurricane..i mean no big deal. colt mccoys arm would get alot stronger. o and my god im sick of hearing how much "bigger" colt mccoy has gotten..he is still scrawny as hell..and looks like a 12 year old

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 07:02 PM
They should just play the game in a hurricane..i mean no big deal. colt mccoys arm would get alot stronger. o and my god im sick of hearing how much "bigger" colt mccoy has gotten..he is still scrawny as hell..and looks like a 12 year old

:rolleyes:

Cam
9/12/2008, 07:03 PM
As far as ACL Fest and the Whorns-Hogs weekend, I am glad that I live far south and most everywhere I go is Mopac west...I rarely get near I-35 most of the time.

The new Mopac' loop's nice huh? We avoided I-35 like the plaque when we lived there.

And Arky sucks, it'll be just like having a bye week anyway.

SOONERxWife73
9/12/2008, 07:44 PM
canceled due to hurricane? no i be thinking the whorns smelled an upset and used big storm to re-evaluate game plan..like they have one. things are crappier in texas-especially their football teams.

ousooners182
9/12/2008, 07:46 PM
yeah including highways. theyre crazy :(