PDA

View Full Version : Agripeople...

Hamhock
9/11/2008, 06:45 AM
What the holy carp happened to the price of corn? I bought corn yesterday and it's nearly double the price it was a year ago.

what gives? I have a sneaking hunch that it is Al Gore's fault.

Tiptonsooner
9/11/2008, 07:28 AM
I paid .10/lb Saturday, paid .07/lb last year. Wasn't as bad as I thought.

Hot Rod
9/11/2008, 08:15 AM
"Anyway, like I was sayin', corn is the vegetable of the land. Dey's uh, cream corn, kernel corn, popcorn, cornbread. corn tortillas, corn pops, corn flakes,.......kettle corn. That- that's about it."

Mandibleclaw
9/11/2008, 08:56 AM
This actually is the fault of the democratic environmentalist that put a plan together without examining the indirect costs. This ethanol idea was a dud from the get go and screwed up the supply/demand ratio.

Lott's Bandana
9/11/2008, 08:58 AM
This actually is the fault of the democratic environmentalist that put a plan together without examining the indirect costs. This ethanol idea was a dud from the get go and screwed up the supply/demand ratio.

I think it might be more from summer flooding and the end of summer...

jus thinkin

Mandibleclaw
9/11/2008, 09:06 AM
I think it might be more from summer flooding and the end of summer...

jus thinkin
That definitely had something to do with it as well, thanks for point that out. ;)

Veritas
9/11/2008, 09:11 AM
Massive droughts in other agri-areas of the world resulting in a drastically reduced supply, the fallen dollar (although it's coming back), and flooding in the midwest have far more to do with it.

Mandibleclaw
9/11/2008, 09:21 AM
I could have sworn this ethanol plan had been initiated before those floods hit and the price of corn had increased by 30%. But maybe I got the time sequence messed up.

Veritas
9/11/2008, 09:24 AM
I could have sworn this ethanol plan had been initiated before those floods hit and the price of corn had increased by 30%. But maybe I got the time sequence messed up.
Maybe you did.

Oh, also, I was wrong, everybody. MandibleClaw is a troll handle. Buhbye.

captain_surly
9/11/2008, 09:37 AM
Massive droughts in other agri-areas of the world resulting in a drastically reduced supply, the fallen dollar (although it's coming back), and flooding in the midwest have far more to do with it.

That's simply not true. The biggest factor in the increase in the price of corn is the ethanol blending subsidy and mandate, combined with the tarriff on Brazilian ethanol. The second largest factor is the cost of energy which increases the farmers input costs dramatically.

We can't do much about the price of oil but making motor fuel out of corn is a horrible idea and is only made possible by government subsidies.

Veritas
9/11/2008, 09:47 AM
That's simply not true. The biggest factor in the increase in the price of corn is the ethanol blending subsidy and mandate, combined with the tarriff on Brazilian ethanol. The second largest factor is the cost of energy which increases the farmers input costs dramatically.

We can't do much about the price of oil but making motor fuel out of corn is a horrible idea and is only made possible by government subsidies.
Making motor fuel out of corn is suboptimal relative to crops with higher sugar content. However, if we are to move away from our dependence on foreign oil, we have to begin building the infrastructure for biofuels. Corn is the crop that represents the best available option given the agricultural infrastructure at this point. I have an interest in a farming operation and while we're making money on corn right now, we have plans to move to switchgrass in a few years.

Hamhock
9/11/2008, 12:09 PM
all i know is that a 40lb bag of corn is over $7.00

Hamhock
9/11/2008, 12:10 PM
I paid .10/lb Saturday, paid .07/lb last year. Wasn't as bad as I thought.

where?

royalfan5
9/11/2008, 12:47 PM
I leave for one ****ing day and you people start talking about corn.

XFollower
9/11/2008, 01:08 PM
E85 will revolutionize the world, or maybe just make all food products with corn in them go up excessively. Not too mention it causes your car to get worse gas mileage.

royalfan5
9/11/2008, 01:30 PM
We still have a massive supply of corn coming with one of the largest harvests ever coming. Grain production is way up world wide especially in Europe. Demand for food in general has increased substantially worldwide, and a weak dollar is a large part of that. As far as ethanol goes, people need to remember that the corn processed into ethanol does not turn solely into ethanol, it also becomes high grade cattle feed, and if the plant is equipped with a oil seperator, can produce large quantities of food grade vegetable oil of cooking uses or bio-diesel. In addition, the United States is exporting corn and ethanol co-products in historical amounts. All those dollars you spend at Wal-mart are coming back to buy ag commodities, and raising the price. Corn prices have moderated significantly since mid-summer, and are realistically only a little bit of what would be considered normal when accounting for the increases in input and land costs.

Hamhock
9/11/2008, 01:38 PM
We still have a massive supply of corn coming with one of the largest harvests ever coming. Grain production is way up world wide especially in Europe. Demand for food in general has increased substantially worldwide, and a weak dollar is a large part of that. As far as ethanol goes, people need to remember that the corn processed into ethanol does not turn solely into ethanol, it also becomes high grade cattle feed, and if the plant is equipped with a oil seperator, can produce large quantities of food grade vegetable oil of cooking uses or bio-diesel. In addition, the United States is exporting corn and ethanol co-products in historical amounts. All those dollars you spend at Wal-mart are coming back to buy ag commodities, and raising the price. Corn prices have moderated significantly since mid-summer, and are realistically only a little bit of what would be considered normal when accounting for the increases in input and land costs.

your fancy schoolin' doesn't change the fact that feeding the deer is a lot more expensive this year.

royalfan5
9/11/2008, 01:54 PM
your fancy schoolin' doesn't change the fact that feeding the deer is a lot more expensive this year.

You are supposed to shoot them, not feed them. Jeez.

Hamhock
9/11/2008, 01:56 PM
You are supposed to shoot them, not feed them. Jeez.

but they're so cute.