PDA

View Full Version : Bush Scandal #1,467

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 06:42 PM
WASHINGTON - Government officials handling billions of dollars in oil royalties partied, had sex with and accepted golf and ski outings from employees of energy companies they were dealing with, federal investigators said Wednesday.

The alleged transgressions involve 13 former and current Interior Department employees in Denver and Washington. Their alleged improprieties include rigging contracts, working part-time as private oil consultants, and having sexual relationships with — and accepting golf and ski trips and dinners from — oil company employees, according to three reports released Wednesday by the Interior Department's inspector general.

The investigations reveal a "culture of substance abuse and promiscuity" by a small group of individuals "wholly lacking in acceptance of or adherence to government ethical standards," wrote Inspector General Earl E. Devaney, whose office spent more than two years and $5.3 million on the investigation.

"Sexual relationships with prohibited sources cannot, by definition, be arms-length," Devaney said.

The reports describe a fraternity house atmosphere inside the Denver Minerals Management Service office responsible for marketing oil and natural gas that energy companies barter to the government in lieu of cash royalty payments for drilling on federal lands. The government received $4.3 billion in such royalty-in-kind payments last year. The oil and gas is then resold to energy companies or put in the nation's emergency stockpile.

"During the course of our investigation, we learned that some RIK employees frequently consumed alcohol at industry functions, had used cocaine and marijuana, and had sexual relationships with oil and gas company representatives," the report said. Two government employees who had to spend the night after a daytime industry function because they were too intoxicated to drive home were commonly referred to by energy traders as the "MMS Chicks."

Between 2002 and 2006, nearly a third of the 55-person staff in the Denver office received gifts and gratuities from oil and gas companies, including Chevron Corp., Shell, Hess Corp. and Denver-based Gary-Williams Energy Corp., the investigators found. Two oil marketers received gifts and gratuities on at least 135 occasions. One admitted having a one-night-stand with a Shell employee. That same individual allegedly passed out business cards for her sex toy business at work, bragging that her income from that business exceeded her salary at the Interior Department.

Devaney said the investigations took so long because Chevron refused to cooperate. An Interior Department official said Chevron would not allow investigators to interview its employees.

Don Campbell, a Chevron spokesman, said Wednesday that the company "produced all of the documents that the government requested months ago." A Shell spokeswoman said it would be premature for the company to comment on the report until it had time to review it.

The reports also said former head of the Denver royalty-in-kind office, Gregory W. Smith, used cocaine and had sex with subordinates. The report said Smith also steered government contracts to a consulting business that paid him $30,000 for his work from April 2002 through June 2003. Smith retired from the office in May 2007.

Smith's attorney, Steve Peters, called the claims "sheer fantasy."

"Greg Smith was a loyal, dedicated employee of the federal government for more than 28 years," Peters said Wednesday. "His efforts in running the royalty-in-kind program resulted in one of the most profitable government programs in American history."

MMS Director Randall Luthi, in an interview, said the agency was taking the report "extremely seriously" and would review the allegations and weigh taking appropriate action in coming months. The inspector general is recommending that current employees implicated be fired and be barred for life from working within the royalty program.

House Natural Resources Chairman Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., said "this whole IG report reads like a script from a television miniseries and one that cannot air during family viewing time. It is no wonder that the office was doing such a lousy job of overseeing the RIK program; clearly the employees had 'other' priorities in that office."

One of the employees named in the investigation, Jimmy Mayberry, already has pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Washington to violations of conflict-of-interest laws. The Justice Department declined to prosecute Smith and former Associate Director of the Minerals Revenue Management program Lucy Querques Denett, who the report says manipulated contracts to ensure they were awarded to former Interior employees.

The findings are the latest sign of trouble at the Minerals Management Service, which already has been accused of mismanaging the collection of fees from oil companies and writing faulty contracts for drilling on government land and offshore. The charges also come as Congress and both presidential candidates are debating whether to open up more federal offshore waters to oil and natural gas drilling.

"This all shows the oil industry holds shocking sway over the administration and even key federal employees," said Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla. "This is why we must not allow Big Oil's agenda to be jammed through Congress."

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., urged Democrats to reopen a House investigation of the Minerals Management Service that was initiated in 2006 by House Republicans. "Looking into and fixing these problems would have meant highlighting the enormous revenues that domestic oil and natural gas production contributes to our treasury. This just didn't fit into their anti-drilling campaign," he said.

While most government royalties for drilling on federal lands are paid in cash, the government in recent years has been receiving a greater share of its oil and gas royalties in the actual product. More of that oil is also being sold on the open market, versus being deposited in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, the nation's emergency oil stockpile. Congress earlier this year passed a law halting deposits of oil to the reserve to help alleviate high gasoline prices.

The investigation was prompted by a 2006 phone call from an employee in the Denver office who reported ethical lapses.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_go_ot/interior_oil_trysts_8

sooner_born_1960
9/10/2008, 06:45 PM
I just skimmed it, but I didn't see where Bush was involved in the shenanigans.

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 06:46 PM

Oh please, how could he not have been? :rolleyes: :P ;) ;) :D

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 06:47 PM

I think the toll meant that there Had to Be some Bush Involved Or it wouldnt have been to good a secks ;)

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 06:49 PM
Is this not a cabinet position run by a nomination of the President, another "your doing a heck of a job Brownie" at least. :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 06:50 PM
Is this not a cabinet position run by a nomination of the President, another "your doing a heck of a job Brownie" at least. :rolleyes:

Say something like how we just don't want to see the truth, I kinda miss you doing that.

sooner_born_1960
9/10/2008, 06:51 PM
Once again, I didn't see where the Secy. of the Interior was involved.

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 06:54 PM
Once again, I didn't see where the Secy. of the Interior was involved.

But was an Intern ? a Real sexytary ?
Enquirein Minds wanta Know these things.

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 06:58 PM
You would think a President would hold some accoutability for his cabinet positions and the people in his administration in charge of a Dept. of the Interior. This is your Republicanism at work, you own it......deflect and obfuscate all you want.

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 06:58 PM
You would think a President would hold some accoutability for his cabinet positions and the people in his administration in charge of a Dept. of the Interior. This is your Republicanism at work, you own it......deflect and obfuscate all you want.

Say something about not seeing the truth damn it!

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 06:59 PM
Say something about not seeing the truth damn it!

I'll leave that to you Capt. Obvious. ;)

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:00 PM

:pop:

tommieharris91
9/10/2008, 07:02 PM
Ummm... have fun in the hoosegow, guys.

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 07:02 PM

Can I use that for a troll name, or do you have it in your line-up?

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 07:04 PM

I just posted a yahoo article, the rest is what it is. :pop:

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:04 PM

:D

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/joehill97/funny/4.jpg

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 07:05 PM

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/joehill97/funny/4.jpg

LMAO :D

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:07 PM
LMAO :D

I speak the truth

:D:D

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 07:08 PM
I speak the truth

:D:D

You could have gone so far in the SPEK world. Now we'll never know. :D

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:09 PM
You could have gone so far in the SPEK world. Now we'll never know. :D

http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 07:11 PM
http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

heh

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 07:12 PM
I'm wondering how much longer the mods will put up with you calling me gay and a homo. Stick to the debate guys, personal attacks will only get you baneage.

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:13 PM
heh

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:14 PM
I'm wondering how much longer the mods will put up with you calling me gay and a homo. Stick to the debate guys, personal attacks will only get you baneage.

Go back and look at your posts.

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 07:14 PM

They've let you be a troll for how long? I'm not sure we're enforcing the rules at the present time.

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:17 PM
I will stop making fun of you Mandible, obviously it hurts your feelings and I apologize for that.

sooner n houston
9/10/2008, 07:18 PM
Proof positive he is a Bush appointee!!!

"Greg Smith was a loyal, dedicated employee of the federal government for more than 28 years," Peters said Wednesday.

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 07:26 PM
My 200 posts have all been within the framework of the forum rules, some of yours has not. I don't think you want a review, but I just don't want to bother the mods with reporting posts so I am trying to reason with you.

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 07:28 PM
I will stop making fun of you Mandible, obviously it hurts your feelings and I apologize for that.

The troll wants to reason with you dumas, pay attention. :D

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:31 PM
The troll wants to reason with you dumas, pay attention. :D

Sorry, my cell phone was ringing downstairs :D

Ok, lets reason.

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 07:33 PM
Sorry, my cell phone was ringing downstairs :D

Ok, lets reason.

So tell me how this article I originally posted is not a direct reflection on Bush and his appointee?

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 07:35 PM
So tell me how this article I originally posted is not a direct reflection on Bush and his appointee?

I didn't see anything about Bush in it. :confused:

soonerinabilene
9/10/2008, 09:32 PM

You know, its actually Al Gore's fault. Al Gore wanted to run for president in 2000, and he LOST to Bush. If he hadnt of lost, then bush wouldnt have been president, so this sex and coke party never would have happened. Of course, if Bill Clinton hadnt picked Al Gore to be Vice President, Al Gore probably never would have tried to run for president, and therefore never would have been beaten by Bush, so I guess its Clintons fault. Of course, if Bob Dole hadnt lost to Clinton in 96... this could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Quit baiting. Please. Its getting old really quick.

bluedogok
9/10/2008, 09:46 PM
EVERY administration no matter what party has its scandals and corrupt people, ALL of politics is filled with corrupt people. It doesn't matter what suit they wear.

Washington Post - The Cisneros Probe (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/cisneros/keystories.htm)
Henry Cisneros was a Clinton appointee

Just a few from the Washington Post link above.

Cisneros Pleads Guilty
September 8, 1999
Former housing secretary Henry G. Cisneros pleaded guilty to a single misdemeanor charge of lying to the FBI about money he paid to a former mistress, ending a wide-ranging independent counsel investigation that lasted more than four years and cost more than $9 million.

Trial of Ex-HUD Chief to Begin
September 7, 1999
Former housing secretary Henry Cisneros, a onetime Democratic Party star whose promising political career was derailed by scandal, returns to Washington to stand trial on criminal charges accusing him of lying to the FBI about $250,000 in alleged "hush money" he paid to a former mistress.

Federico Peņa was the Denver mayor when Clinton appointed him as the Transportation Secretary, he left the DIA project to head to DC and leaving Wellington Webb a mess to deal with and later was appointed Energy Secretary. In 1995 he came under investigation for awarding State and federal contracts to companies in which he had a financial interest. On March 17, 1995 Janet Reno ended the investigation. He was also a Whorn, both undergrad and law school.

Neither party is "clean" both are as dirty as they come.

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 09:55 PM

We are Not calling you as a Person Ghey/Homo . we Just tryin to figure out which one of you Is Ghey/Homo
Or are all ur troll handles Fags ?

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 09:57 PM
My 200 posts have all been within the framework of the forum rules, some of yours has not. I don't think you want a review, but I just don't want to bother the mods with reporting posts so I am trying to reason with you.
Naw Grey boy Just these 200 or so Posts under this Name . go **** up a rope .:mad:

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 09:59 PM
You know, its actually Al Gore's fault. Al Gore wanted to run for president in 2000, and he LOST to Bush. If he hadnt of lost, then bush wouldnt have been president, so this sex and coke party never would have happened. Of course, if Bill Clinton hadnt picked Al Gore to be Vice President, Al Gore probably never would have tried to run for president, and therefore never would have been beaten by Bush, so I guess its Clintons fault. Of course, if Bob Dole hadnt lost to Clinton in 96... this could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Quit baiting. Please. Its getting old really quick.

Winnah

BoomerSooner247
9/10/2008, 09:59 PM
You know, its actually Al Gore's fault. Al Gore wanted to run for president in 2000, and he LOST to Bush. If he hadnt of lost, then bush wouldnt have been president, so this sex and coke party never would have happened. Of course, if Bill Clinton hadnt picked Al Gore to be Vice President, Al Gore probably never would have tried to run for president, and therefore never would have been beaten by Bush, so I guess its Clintons fault. Of course, if Bob Dole hadnt lost to Clinton in 96... this could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on.Haha, I've never seen it so clear before! Thanks! :)

47straight
9/10/2008, 10:01 PM

The question is, which one of the mods are you really just a troll handle of?

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 10:07 PM

I think they take turns. ;)

soonerinabilene
9/10/2008, 10:08 PM

My money is on Dean. Wouldnt that be the sh*ts?

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:09 PM
Al Gore wanted to run for president in 2000, and he LOST to Bush.

This is actually debatable. :cool:

soonerinabilene
9/10/2008, 10:11 PM

Well, if he would have used manbearpig in his debate, he would have won by a landslide, so it is still his fault this sex and coke party happened.

Stitch Face
9/10/2008, 10:12 PM
What the hell does any of that have to do with Reggie Bush?

47straight
9/10/2008, 10:15 PM
My money is on Dean. Wouldnt that be the sh*ts?

I'd sure laugh!

The guy is way to verbose to be Dean, though. Doesn't cuss enough either.

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 10:16 PM

:rolleyes:

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:17 PM
Well, if he would have used manbearpig in his debate, he would have won by a landslide, so it is still his fault this sex and coke party happened.

Well there you go. That sex and coke party would have been put in a lock box and never seen the light of day.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:19 PM

All the vote counting concentrated on Florida. You don't think they could have looked at every other state--hell, any other state--and gotten the count to go the other way? It was a statistical dead heat. Flip a coin.

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 10:21 PM
All the vote counting concentrated on Florida. You don't think they could have looked at every other state--hell, any other state--and gotten the count to go the other way? It was a statistical dead heat. Flip a coin.

It was not a statistical dead heat, Bushy received more electoral votes. :P

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:27 PM
It was not a statistical dead heat, Bushy received more electoral votes. :P

Only if you think it all came down to Florida. And then there's the Supreme Court involvement. That whole deal was shady, and I say that as somebody who voted for Bush in 2000 and wanted Al Gore to STFU already.

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 10:27 PM

Dude it was 8 years ago
GADOCADWI :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 10:29 PM
Only if you think it all came down to Florida. And then there's the Supreme Court involvement. That whole deal was shady, and I say that as somebody who voted for Bush in 2000 and wanted Al Gore to STFU already.

I figure any shenanigans in Bushys favor were balanced out by shenanigans on the donk side, like the polls that stayed open way late in heavily donk Chicago.

edit...was it Chicago? Hell, I don't remember for sure.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:29 PM
Dude it was 8 years ago
GADOCADWI :rolleyes:

That whole deal was shady, and I say that as somebody who voted for Bush in 2000 and wanted Al Gore to STFU already.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:35 PM
I figure any shenanigans in Bushys favor were balanced out by shenanigans on the donk side, like the polls that stayed open way late in heavily donk Chicago.

That's what I'm saying. It was too close to call. Both sides had a legitimate case. You can be sure that if the tables had been turned the pubz would have pulled the same crybaby routine. Hell, they did pull that routine. Right before the election, some polling indicated that Gore might win the electoral vote while Bush won the popular vote. You can imagine the right wing talking head reaction to that news. The electoral college is an anachronism and needs to be done away with. It's an outrage!

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 10:37 PM
That's what I'm saying. It was too close to call. Both sides had a legitimate case. You can be sure that if the tables had been turned the pubz would have pulled the same crybaby routine. Hell, they did pull that routine. Right before the election, some polling indicated that Gore might win the electoral vote while Bush won the popular vote. You can imagine the right wing talking head reaction to that news. The electoral college is an anachronism and needs to be done away with. It's an outrage!

Shoot, had the pubs lost they would have taken it like the champs they are. :D

...and don't no one "FIX" my post to say the chumps they are. :P

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 10:38 PM
Yes, both parties have had scandals. The point being is the comparison, a mole hill to a mountain comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Just because a news story is something you don't like doesn't qualify for baiting.

Curly Bill
9/10/2008, 10:40 PM
...and so with my above post I have now made 100 for the day. Someone want to go back and count to see how many of them said: heh?

We could have been saved that if we only had a feature with which I could express my appreciation for other's posts in a fashion that would not have clogged up the various threads themselves.

So...good night everybody.

Wishboned
9/10/2008, 10:42 PM

And if Gore had only managed to carry his home state of Tennessee...

SoonerKnight
9/10/2008, 11:37 PM
Shoot, had the pubs lost they would have taken it like the chumps they are. :P

neg me! :D

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 11:54 PM

Ghey, fag, homo .
Troll Ill call ya what I want cause as a Troll you have No standing here as Far as I can see.
Sides what they gonna do Draft Me? Send Me to Nam ? whoo Im skeerd :rolleyes:

Sooner02
9/11/2008, 12:47 AM
Ghey, fag, homo

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/lifer247/loser.jpg

olevetonahill
9/11/2008, 01:10 AM
Ghey, fag, homo .
Troll Ill call ya what I want cause as a Troll you have No standing here as Far as I can see.

Anyone see here where I did a personal attack ?
The dude was sayin what HE had been called
I repeated
I called Him a troll Is That NOW a personal attack ?
:eek:

olevetonahill
9/11/2008, 01:10 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/lifer247/loser.jpg

And ur such a whiner er winner :rolleyes:

Sooner02
9/11/2008, 01:23 AM
I just saw I got a private message, which I don't get many here:

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26/OUSooner2002/pvt.jpg

For future reference, if you have a question for me, you can ask it in a thread.

To answer you: no one's.

soonerscuba
9/11/2008, 01:23 AM
Heh. Either party really pursuing corruption in the other is mutually assured destruction. Only the gross violations that hinge on an individual really pick up steam, which is why Chicago machine is centered around various unions and appointed officials and the White House can out a CIA agent or appoint unqualified, diploma mill Christ-o-maniac JDs to the DoJ and get away with it. The examples on both sides are too numerous to address, but people are too lazy, scared or paid to do anything about it.

Blue
9/11/2008, 01:24 AM
Posting pm's is lame. jus sayin'.

Sooner02
9/11/2008, 01:26 AM
Posting pm's is lame. jus sayin'.
This is a message board, not an IM client. Jus sayin'.

soonerscuba
9/11/2008, 01:31 AM
IBTL, btw.

olevetonahill
9/11/2008, 01:37 AM
I just saw I got a private message, which I don't get many here:

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26/OUSooner2002/pvt.jpg

For future reference, if you have a question for me, you can ask it in a thread.

To answer you: no one's.

Ok so whos ?

tommieharris91
9/11/2008, 01:38 AM

:pop:

olevetonahill
9/11/2008, 01:55 AM
This is a message board, not an IM client. Jus sayin'.

An you say it with such a purty Mouth .:rolleyes:

Curly Bill
9/11/2008, 05:45 PM
Ghey, fag, homo .

heh