PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Ike

humblesooner
9/10/2008, 04:48 PM
It looks like Ike is bearing down on the Texas Coast.
This afternoon, it appears that the forecast models are bending ever so slightly to the east/north, inching closer to the Houston area.

All you guys between Corpus and Houston - keep your heads down and stay safe.

The part I am most worried about in North Houston is that we will lose power and/or cable and miss the OU/UW game Saturday.

CK Sooner
9/10/2008, 04:49 PM
I think you will be fine.

golden85
9/10/2008, 04:56 PM
I live in Sugar Land and defintely concerned. Got a generator, 30 gallons of fuel, 6 cases of water, 4 cases of Gatordade with 2 week supply of food and most importantly plenty of beer. BOOMER SOONER.

tigepilot
9/10/2008, 06:01 PM
The part I am most worried about in North Houston is that we will lose power and/or cable and miss the OU/UW game Saturday.

I hear yeah, I've yet to see a complete OU game this year due to incompetent people showing me what they think I'll rather watch. Now I don't expect to lose power this weekend in Abilene but I wouldn't be surprised if I lose satellite coverage. It normally doesn't happen that often but it's been happening a lot lately whenever it rains. :(

OU_Sooners75
9/10/2008, 06:14 PM
This afternoon, it appears that the forecast models are bending ever so slightly to the east/north, inching closer to the Houston area.

You'll be fine. But good luck.

You can alway head this way, I got an extra room that can be used for a few days.

TMcGee86
9/10/2008, 06:15 PM
Yup, that is my big fear, I live in Cypress so I'm far enough inland that I'm not worried about damage, but if the power goes out and I miss the game I am gonna be pizzed!

cvsooner
9/10/2008, 07:29 PM
One of the advantages of living out west: no hurricanes. The drawback is you have to order Gameplan to see some games. On the other hand, I did get to see the Cincy game all the way to the very end, and then it switched to Tulane and Alabama.

In all seriousness, you guys back yonder stay safe.

A Sooner in Texas
9/10/2008, 09:11 PM
Not worried about Ike so much, but losing power for possibly days is no fun to contemplate. And if Ike does make a strong pass at the Houston area, I'll be working all weekend (daily newspaper). But our emergency operations folks here still seem to think the most we'll get (and we're about 45 miles north of Houston) is 6-8 inches of rain.
Everyone stay safe.

swardboy
9/10/2008, 09:15 PM
The one good thing is that we're not playing in Norman this weekend.

aurorasooner
9/10/2008, 09:31 PM
Just saw where the Texas/Arkansas game was postponed.
Texas-Arkansas game postponed

With Hurricane Ike intensifying and expected to make landfall Saturday on the Texas Gulf Coast, University of Texas officials have decided to postpone the football game with Arkansas.

The game has been rescheduled for Sept. 27 in Austin. The start time and TV information will be announced later.

"We have been monitoring this situation since Sunday and, at this time, feel confident this is the right thing to do," Texas men's athletic director DeLoss Dodds said in a statement. "A football game becomes less important when you are dealing with the safety of the people of Texas."
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_5day.gif
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200809_5day.html#a_topad

SoonerForever
9/10/2008, 09:32 PM
We live in Missouri City, and darn the luck.....leave Friday morning for Seattle for 8 days.....been checking the weather for the past couple of weeks there....average 75 during the day and 55 at night.......couldn't have timed this trip better.

owenfieldreams
9/10/2008, 09:32 PM
Live on Galveston Island.......waiting until tomorrow to make a decision. we're under a voluntary evacuation where I live but the West End is a mandatory evacuation. We're being told to expect at least tropical storm winds & a tidal surge of around 10'. This will put the West End under water. Brazoria County (Lake Jackson,Pearland, Angleton, Alvin, Freeport) is now in a mandatory evacuation. If this hits Matagorda Bay as a Cat 4, everything on the East side from Palacios over to Galveston is going to take a huge hit.

My daughter lives in Ft. Bend County (Sienna Plantation) & while they're out of the flood plain, they will no doubt see winds that could hit 100mph.

FlatheadSooner
9/10/2008, 09:42 PM
I'm in Lake Jackson and work in Freeport. Manditory evac as of tonight. Got the windows boarded up and ready to leave for San Antonio tomorrow noon. If landfall is Matagorda, we could have surge 10-15 ft. My house is at 20 ft. I'm starting to feel like a bowling pin this time of year.

Hopefully I'll be sipping a cold few on Sat night watching the game - albeit with a lot of rain / wind in the background.

BOOMER!!

OU-HSV
9/10/2008, 09:48 PM
My company has a branch in Freeport, TX...they've evacuated and closed our office for the next few days down there

OUinFLA
9/10/2008, 09:48 PM
Good luck to all of you in the target zone.
You know us Floridians are sending you our sympathy.

snp
9/10/2008, 10:33 PM
I'm up in Kingwood and very worried about losing satellite signal for this weekend. Things could get ugly if that happens.

bluedogok
9/10/2008, 10:54 PM
I-37 from Corpus to San Antonio goes contraflow tomorrow at 7:00 AM.

The UCO-A&M-Kingsville game was moved to Edmond from Kingsville because of Ike.

Looks like the storm may be bending north, you Houston people may get much more of it than we will.

bakerjrb
9/10/2008, 11:06 PM
Hey, Gulf Coast Sooners.

I live in Temple (between Austin and Waco), but I've got some property in Bentwater (on Lake Conroe north of Houston). We had plans to drive down to play in the Bentwater Club Championship this weekend, but have had to take the ultimate "rain check".

So, I'll be in Temple, watching our Sooners Sat night on the big Sony DLP. And, we've got a couple of extra bedrooms, if any of my Sooner brethren are evacuating inland, and need a place to keep the rain off your head, you are welcome in our home.

E-mail me at [email protected] if we can help anybody out.

OU_Sooners75
9/10/2008, 11:17 PM
this thing will be cat 4 when it slams in into BajaOklahoma.

ouwasp
9/10/2008, 11:23 PM
too bad Ike couldn't have pounded commie Cuba more, then veered way south to land on commie Venezuela...

boomerinhou
9/11/2008, 12:29 AM
I live in Sugar Land and defintely concerned. Got a generator, 30 gallons of fuel, 6 cases of water, 4 cases of Gatordade with 2 week supply of food and most importantly plenty of beer. BOOMER SOONER.

I live on the west side...beltway 8/memorial area...weather guys said tonite we could get 100-130mph winds all the way to Spring. Like everyone else...will hate to miss the game!!!

golden85
9/11/2008, 05:51 AM
The forecast changed a little overnight. Expected to hit Freeport, move northward towards the Sugar Land, Mizzou City and SW Houston area. This will defintely suck for me since I am in Sugar Land. Hope everyone stays safe.

owenfieldreams
9/11/2008, 06:46 AM
We're out-a-here!. The Island is going to really get it. I am thinking it's going to move even farther to the north, possibly coming on shore as a direct hit on the Island. This is going to be bad. The West End of the Island is literally a sandbar with million dollar homes. It could be obliterated. We live in a 100 year old Victorian in the East End Historical District, close to the highest point on the Island (about 12'). We are behind the seawall which goes to 16'. If the 20' surge that's predicted hits, the entire Island could be under water.

sooner n houston
9/11/2008, 08:12 AM
I'm about 50 north of Galveston. We are ready to hunker down. Gonna have a house full too. Our son, his wife and baby will be comming from Humble. Our daughter and her hubby and baby are already here along with my youngest son. My wife invited a woman and her two girls to join us as well. We have a generator and all the provisions we should need. We survived Rita, should be fine with Ike! :D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/11/2008, 09:24 AM
Pearland here...we are getting ready to head out too. Packing all the valuables. All you Houstonites stay safe and we are sending prayers out to you too!!! Let's get this thing over with fast! Give me a tornado any day of the week!

humblesooner
9/11/2008, 09:53 AM
Well, it looks like Ike's going to try and hit downtown Houston with the dirty side of the storm.
We'll board up this afternoon and ride it out tomorrow night - Humble, TX.
Rita actually did the same thing this storm is trying to.
She was supposed to hit at Corpus/Matagorda and ended up swinging all the way to Beaumont.
We'll just have to keep an eye on it.

I have a generator and my daughter has a 42" LCD flat screen.
If someone in the neighborhood has a Dish, we may just have to set up a theatre in the cul-de-sac and maybe get to see the game after all.

We'll let you all know how we come out as soon as power is back on.

Sooner N Houston - you guys stay safe in Liberty.

sooner n houston
9/11/2008, 11:20 AM
Sooner N Houston - you guys stay safe in Liberty.

We're gonna try, same to ya. My brother is hunker'n down at his lake house at Lake Livingston.

salth2o
9/11/2008, 11:46 AM
We are hunkering down here in Humble and getting ready to ride it out. I cannot find a generator, but am still looking.

bringit
9/11/2008, 11:58 AM
Best of luck to you folks. My house was flooded by TS Fay which ended up being worse than the hurricanes of 2004. Stay safe yall.

Miko
9/11/2008, 02:02 PM
We are hunkering down here in Humble and getting ready to ride it out. I cannot find a generator, but am still looking.

What size do you need?

salth2o
9/11/2008, 04:00 PM
What size do you need?

Not a huge one, just something to run the fridge and/or a fan.

golden85
9/11/2008, 04:11 PM
Recent forecast calls for the storm to move towards Galveston. Who knows where Ike is headed.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/11/2008, 04:17 PM
Clear Lake, checking in fom Seattle. The cat is at the vets boarding, we can't reach them, hopefully they took him safely away. Had the neighbor dump our refridge ice bin and turn off the water. Hope we have a home to come home to after the vacation.

SOONERKAT
9/11/2008, 04:51 PM
I am out in Cypress and as of the moment I post this, am still at work in the Williams Tower. We should be OK in my neck of the woods, but my commute home tonight is going to suck something vicious.

As with most other Houston-based Sooners, my concern is losing power on Saturday, and make no mistake, we will lose power. I strongly believe that Cypress Texas has one of the weakest electricity grids on the planet.

Best of luck to all of you having to deal with this, and my prayers are with you all.

Boomer Sooner!

LSUdeek
9/11/2008, 04:56 PM
Hoping all of you in SETX fare better than we did for Gustav... :(

jrsooner
9/13/2008, 04:41 AM
so far so good here in Katy.
still have power. Here's hoping the Sooners are more explosive today than Ike is.

Flagstaffsooner
9/13/2008, 04:55 AM
God Bless all of you in the HOUston area. Let us know how you are as soon as you are able to.

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 05:27 AM
Yeah what flagstaff said

bluedogok
9/13/2008, 08:56 AM
I have received a few messages from the area, most that I know seem to be doing as well as they can. Hopefully everyone there is doing as well.

Speer
9/13/2008, 09:34 AM
I live in the middle of Houston & we hunkered down and rode it out. Amazed we still have power because most don't. Lots of limb/tree damage but nothing too bad. Worst part is the beautiful live oak in the back yard blew over onto the house. Our house appears to be fine but the tree is toast....sux.

FYI, the constant 6 hour howl of a hurricane gale is about the eeriest thing I've ever heard.

rossg
9/13/2008, 03:35 PM
I strongly believe that Cypress Texas has one of the weakest electricity grids on the planet.

I live in Cypress as well and last night sucked, but we have power and the DirecTv is working. Game time cant come too soon!! Really need something else to think about.

StoopTroup
9/13/2008, 03:42 PM
Whorns are such pussies.

Can't believe they rescheduled.

aurorasooner
9/13/2008, 03:43 PM
Houston Chronicle has some nasty pics of the damage on the website. Lots of debris.

jrsooner
9/13/2008, 07:52 PM
Here in Katy and watching the game! As my wife says...it's saturday and if we have power, OU will be on.

NASASooner
9/13/2008, 10:22 PM
Got out of the Clear Lake area on Thursday with no trouble. Minor damage to my house according to friends. Small water leak in the garage, for some reason the kitchen sink decided to start leaking, some shingles off the roof and a bunch of tree limbs down. Would have stayed but had to get my mom out of the way. Hope to return soon. Good side of evacuating was that I got to visit Oklahoma again and watch us kick uw's butt.

Ike
9/13/2008, 10:23 PM
I hate all of you too...

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/16/2008, 08:02 AM
I posted this in another thread on the SO, but we made it through with little damage, none of which to the house. Trees, fences, and other plants are gone though. We just got power back yesterday, so it is nice to have AC again. The rest of Pearland is not in good shape though. It is crazy to see this stuff in person.

1890MilesToNorman
9/17/2008, 11:05 AM
Some pre-Ike and post-Ike photos from usgs.gov. Lots of homes just disappeared from the coast.

http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/ike/photo-comparisons/bolivar.html

It's like the Sooner offense came ashore!

Miko
9/17/2008, 11:42 AM
We made it fine. Fence gone and lost gutters, but family okay. We even have power. We are very, very fortunate compared to many other folks down here.

But, did miss the game Sat. I guess we all have our crosses to bear.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/17/2008, 12:06 PM
Live in Clear Lake, we lost some shingles and a gutter. Never lost power according to the neighbors. Hopefully gas will be more plentiful by the time we retunr from Washington next Monday.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/17/2008, 12:53 PM
Glad to hear both of you guys are good for what went through!!

NASASooner
9/17/2008, 08:11 PM
Okay, NASASooner is back in the Clear Lake / Friendswood area. The house damage was a little worse than I was told but I've been very fortunate since. Half the shingles on the garage were ripped down to the bare wood. The garage smells like a mop now. The pickup got lots of goo on it from wet drywall. As soon as I climbed up on the roof to make some cheapo repairs the roofing company around the corner drove up. Paid them some money and now I have a much better patch job until I get a new roof. I can't believe my tree missed the house. I have piled up the large branches into one disorderly pile for now.

Power was restored early Sunday morning. Even though a million plus are still out of power around here the progress that I've seen on the power poles is quite a sight. Got to hand it to those guys. Gas stations and grocery stores still kind of rare but I think within 3 or 4 days it won't be such a problem. Galveston and Bolivar peninsula is a way worse story.

I don't know if FEMA is doing a good job or not as I've not needed them. But they do seem to be a convenient scapegoat for everyone. That's got to be a tough agency to work for.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/18/2008, 12:38 AM
Thank goodness we have underground power lines. 2 years ago and a 7K repair, not so. Today, yeah.

humblesooner
9/18/2008, 03:52 PM
Well, as GOW said on another board - I'm Baaaaack.
The eye of the storm went directly over our house Humble/Atascocita. It was really strange. In 16 years in Houston, this was really our first hurricane. Rita just gave us a little wind on the clean side of the storm.

At about 4 AM, the front eye wall passed over. I went outside and was looking at stars. The eye was 40 miles wide, so you could not even see the wall to the east or west. About 6:45, the back wall came over.
We had no damage. It took me about 3 minutes to clean up the yard.
We were extremely fortunate.
Unfortunately, we did not get to see the game, although we were able to get a very weak radio signal and heard that the score was 34-0 at half.

We got power on last night at 7:15 - Day 5. That sucked.
But even there, we were extremely fortunate. Kingwood is supposed to hav power by Monday, but the Woodlands is looking at 9/29.
The poor folks north and east that are supplied by Entergy may never get theirs on.

Thank God that the cool front came throough Sunday night or this would be a Katrina like situation.

Come on TCewe. Can't wait for some more OU football. Three weeks is a long time.

PS - I still hate Ike.

bringit
9/19/2008, 03:44 PM
Glad to see you folks made it through ok without any real major damage. I would highly recommend one of these jewels... she's got me through a couple of long-term power outages. If you're gonna live near the ocean, you need one:

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/BDR/BDR1012_l.jpg

humblesooner
9/19/2008, 04:36 PM
Glad to see you folks made it through ok without any real major damage. I would highly recommend one of these jewels... she's got me through a couple of long-term power outages. If you're gonna live near the ocean, you need one:

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/BDR/BDR1012_l.jpg

I got a 7550 watt after Rita. It made a big difference, but I sure had not planned on having to keep it fed for 5 days. I was beginning to worry about long gas lines. But after our power came back on, it seemed like the lines started getting shorter.
In the Greenspoint area where I work, there really aren't any gas lines.

Flagstaffsooner
9/19/2008, 05:12 PM
Thank God you people are alright.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 06:38 PM
Thank God you people are alright.

Yep.

Prayers to all who are still struggling.

ST

Sooner Eclipse
9/19/2008, 07:24 PM

Well, you jinxed the crap outta me. I still dont have power. Missed the game. Probably wont have power for another week. The generator is burning 50 dollars worth of gas a day. IKE SUCKS bevo's detached balls.