PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO!! My first game!!

deweydw
9/9/2008, 05:01 PM
I'll be attending my very first OU game. Going to the TCU game. Sec 16 row 72 seats 3/4. I'm very excited. The tickets are beautiful... (ok, calm down) Why I waited this long, I don't know. Decided, screw it, this year I'm going. I would have prefered the NEB game. But it seems to be sold out. I have vacation at the end of this month and in Nov.. So, obvious choice, TCU. I hope I don't jinx em. I'm driving up from Houston. Pick up my son in Denton, UNT. I can't wait.

BOOMER!!! SOONER!!

NCSooner18
9/9/2008, 05:04 PM
Good for you. You will wonder why you haven't done it years ago.

1890MilesToNorman
9/9/2008, 05:06 PM
You will love it!!! I was cleaning out a drawer the other day and found a ticket stub for an OU Texas game back in the 80's. I'm sure i was imagining it but I smelled corny dogs just looking at the ticket stub.

Take it all in. You never know what you may be witnessing, I saw John Elway tear us up on a cold miserable day in Norman and we all know what he accomplished.

CK Sooner
9/9/2008, 05:30 PM
Deer Park, huh?

Shawn Onyechi?

Paperclip
9/9/2008, 05:38 PM
I'll be attending my very first OU game. Going to the TCU game. Sec 16 row 72 seats 3/4. I'm very excited. The tickets are beautiful... (ok, calm down) Why I waited this long, I don't know. Decided, screw it, this year I'm going. I would have prefered the NEB game. But it seems to be sold out. I have vacation at the end of this month and in Nov.. So, obvious choice, TCU. I hope I don't jinx em. I'm driving up from Houston. Pick up my son in Denton, UNT. I can't wait.

BOOMER!!! SOONER!!

I'm in 16 row 59. I'll turn around and wave. :)

deweydw
9/9/2008, 05:50 PM
Deer Park, huh?

Shawn Onyechi?

Wow!! How do you know him? Went to the game last Friday. Didn't see him on the sideline. Was hoping to see him play. He's on the roster, but I couldn't find him on the sideline. Oh, we won the game 52 to 14. Beat Aldine.

I graduated from DP in 81. My son in 05. And my daughter this year, 08.

deweydw
9/9/2008, 05:53 PM
I'm in 16 row 59. I'll turn around and wave. :)

Cool... I'll wave back. By the way, where is the band located?

OUMallen
9/9/2008, 06:48 PM

BOOMER!!! SOONER!!

Congrats; can't wait to cheer with you!

CK Sooner
9/9/2008, 07:07 PM
Wow!! How do you know him? Went to the game last Friday. Didn't see him on the sideline. Was hoping to see him play. He's on the roster, but I couldn't find him on the sideline. Oh, we won the game 52 to 14. Beat Aldine.

I graduated from DP in 81. My son in 05. And my daughter this year, 08.

We are actually recruiting him.

Dude, looks like a freakin' body builder.

Okieflyer
9/9/2008, 07:25 PM
Hey that's GREAT! I remember my first game. Iowa State 1971. Man I'm gettin' old. :(

Sooner_09
9/9/2008, 07:42 PM
Baylor..1999...Stoops first Big XII game..I remember it well as it was my first game. 41-10

AlbqSooner
9/9/2008, 07:50 PM
Hey that's GREAT! I remember my first game. Iowa State 1971. Man I'm gettin' old. :(

Yer a pup! Syracuse - 1961? Maybe '62.

By the time the band gets through doing the pregame show, national anthem and marches off to Boomer Sooner, you will be ready to suit up and play. I have been to a lot of games, including other teams and stadiums, over the years and nothing really compares to experiencing an OU game inside the stadium.

Enjoy!

SOONERnTx
9/9/2008, 08:02 PM
Awesome......my first game was Missouri last year and since i've been to the Baylor game, big 12 championship in SA, and last weeks game against Cincy! You WILL be hooked! Be prepared for many more games in the future. By the way i'm from Waco!

deweydw
9/9/2008, 08:02 PM
We are actually recruiting him.

Dude, looks like a freakin' body builder.

You should have seen his older brother, Jofer. Jofer was running back in 06. He was a hulk. Once, my daughters friend had a candy bar stuck in the machine. She asked Jofer to get it out for her. He then pick up the machine, shook it a few times. And out came the candy. (no joke)

Jofer was huge, but that slowed him down. He could carry the defense a few yards. But Shawn has the speed. He's a junior this year. But I'm looking forward to seeing Shawn play some this year. The senior back we have is just as fast, Travis Carter. Looks like we'll be challenging for the district title this year. I think that would be great if Shawn has a shot to go to OU.

deweydw
9/9/2008, 08:05 PM
Yer a pup! Syracuse - 1961? Maybe '62.

By the time the band gets through doing the pregame show, national anthem and marches off to Boomer Sooner, you will be ready to suit up and play. I have been to a lot of games, including other teams and stadiums, over the years and nothing really compares to experiencing an OU game inside the stadium.

Enjoy!

That's one of my favorite things when watching on tv. Is to hear the band in the back ground. Love it!!

deweydw
9/9/2008, 08:10 PM
You WILL be hooked! Be prepared for many more games in the future. By the way i'm from Waco!

I think you're right. I'm already rethinking my vacation for next year.

CK Sooner
9/9/2008, 08:54 PM
You should have seen his older brother, Jofer. Jofer was running back in 06. He was a hulk. Once, my daughters friend had a candy bar stuck in the machine. She asked Jofer to get it out for her. He then pick up the machine, shook it a few times. And out came the candy. (no joke)

Jofer was huge, but that slowed him down. He could carry the defense a few yards. But Shawn has the speed. He's a junior this year. But I'm looking forward to seeing Shawn play some this year. The senior back we have is just as fast, Travis Carter. Looks like we'll be challenging for the district title this year. I think that would be great if Shawn has a shot to go to OU.

I read somewhere that we were looking at him, so he should have a pretty good chance if he does good this year and next year.

bringit
9/9/2008, 09:24 PM
:pop:

CK Sooner
9/9/2008, 09:27 PM
:pop:

Thank you for your input.

Paperclip
9/9/2008, 09:50 PM
Cool... I'll wave back. By the way, where is the band located?

To the left around the corner in the student section. You'll hear them just fine. Enjoy!

jwlynn64
9/9/2008, 10:28 PM
Don't ever let a sold out game keep you from going. There are always tickets available and most of the time you can get them at the Tailgate (which you will definitely want to come by).

Be sure to make enough time to enjoy the campus and the town.

KingBarry
9/9/2008, 10:32 PM
Dewey,

Do yourself a favor. Try to enter the stadium gates an hour before kickoff. Walk up the ramp while the stadium is empty. Breath it all in without the crowd. Enjoy the history, the majesty.

Take your seats. Watch the stadium begin to fill up.

The players, for both teams, will soon take the field and begin their warm ups. Watch the coaches work the players. Get a feel for the mood of the competitors. The Stoops operation is very tight, and extremely professional. You will be impressed by what you see.

You will be thrilled when the band finally storms onto the field for the inspirational pre-game show. They have been doing that for decades.

Then when the Sooners storm out of their locker rooms onto Owen Field to take another step towards number eight, the place will explode.

Dewey, you are going to have a good time.

deweydw
9/10/2008, 07:34 AM
:cool:
Dewey,

Do yourself a favor. Try to enter the stadium gates an hour before kickoff. Walk up the ramp while the stadium is empty. Breath it all in without the crowd. Enjoy the history, the majesty.

Take your seats. Watch the stadium begin to fill up.

The players, for both teams, will soon take the field and begin their warm ups. Watch the coaches work the players. Get a feel for the mood of the competitors. The Stoops operation is very tight, and extremely professional. You will be impressed by what you see.

You will be thrilled when the band finally storms onto the field for the inspirational pre-game show. They have been doing that for decades.

Then when the Sooners storm out of their locker rooms onto Owen Field to take another step towards number eight, the place will explode.

Dewey, you are going to have a good time.

That gave me goose bumps... I intend to do just that.
:cool:

deweydw
9/10/2008, 07:36 AM
To the left around the corner in the student section. You'll hear them just fine. Enjoy!

Sweet.....

sooneron
9/10/2008, 07:50 AM
After the game, Sugar's is a must!

:D

MichiganSooner
9/10/2008, 08:43 AM
Dewey,

An hour and 30 minutes before kickoff, the band will play their music of the day on the lawn to the north of Jacobson Hall which is the OU Visitor Center on Boyd Street. They will play toward Campus Corner. Be there!!

Then go straight to the stadium like KingBarry said and take it all in.

deweydw
9/10/2008, 11:14 AM
Dewey,

An hour and 30 minutes before kickoff, the band will play their music of the day on the lawn to the north of Jacobson Hall which is the OU Visitor Center on Boyd Street. They will play toward Campus Corner. Be there!!

Then go straight to the stadium like KingBarry said and take it all in.

Whew.... So much to do. I hope the game is a late afternoon start. I'll be driving up from Denton that morning.

Condescending Sooner
9/10/2008, 12:36 PM
Your seats will be almost on the top row of the stadium, and just a few rows behind me. The new video screen in the south endzone has greatly improved the experience.

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 12:39 PM
Grats On losing yer Virginity.

deweydw
9/10/2008, 12:57 PM
Grats On losing yer Virginity.

Thanks. I feel like a new man. ;)

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks. I feel like a new man. ;)

I remember well My 1st OU game .
Not so much my 1st Piece of *** :D
Course I was 14 when the later happened and 28 or so when The 1st happened :D

SoonerSnareMom
9/10/2008, 08:07 PM
The drumline warm-up show takes place on the East side of the Union (Asp Street side) two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. Get there early! Hundreds of drumline fans show up to watch, listen and cheer the drumline! This is right before the concert in front of Jacobsen Hall that was mentioned previously. Boomer Sooner!

goingoneight
9/10/2008, 08:14 PM
Shame you won't get to check out the Switzer Center. :(

deweydw
9/12/2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks everyone for all the advise on what to do that day. There's so much to do, hope I'll have time to fit it all in.

Fiatil
9/12/2008, 03:15 PM
I know this is a total noob question, but where is the soonerfans tailgate at normally?

ousooners182
9/12/2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah definitely man be sure to go out there have fun and cheer them sooners on to victory. Its a chilling feeling inside the stadium..especially when one side of the crowd yells boomer..then the other sooner..aaahh i remember ou mizzou last year it still gives me chills!

jwlynn64
9/12/2008, 03:42 PM
I know this is a total noob question, but where is the soonerfans tailgate at normally?

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116617&highlight=Tailgate

StoopTroup
9/12/2008, 03:52 PM
I remember when I asked my Dad for a mini-bike....

Should hit him up for Sooner tickets. :D

Tv_IP4czdjI&feature=related

Taxman71
9/12/2008, 04:31 PM
I remember well My 1st OU game .
Not so much my 1st Piece of *** :D
Course I was 14 when the later happened and 28 or so when The 1st happened :D

And your [fill in name of female family member] was there for both!

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

My first....1979 against Iowa State...Billy had 3 TD's that day.

And any self-respecting OU fan knows it is SUGER's, not SUGAR's....Walter Mitty's to you oldtimers.

ousooners182
9/12/2008, 07:40 PM
My first was OU Syracuse..i remember we won on a last second FG..John Blake was the coach. wow I love bob stoops

soonermagicgirl
9/12/2008, 08:56 PM
Oh yes..my first game....#1 OU vs #2 Nebraska. I didn't even know the chant until that game.

Now you know why I got hooked after that game.
Now I am a HUGE Sooner Fan!

jdubb22bronco
9/12/2008, 10:21 PM
W 09-28-2002 31 South Florida 14 Norman, OK

was my first game...i got something in the mail about ethnic diversity day my junior yr in high school, OU wanted me to come and check it out hear some speeches and go to a game...we sat in the endzone and had a blast...I've been to a few a year since, but I will always remember the first...

deweydw
9/14/2008, 08:51 AM
Some great first time stories. Couple questions, can I take a camera in the stadium? And how's the parking?

olevetonahill
9/14/2008, 09:20 AM
Some great first time stories. Couple questions, can I take a camera in the stadium? And how's the parking?

Peem Dean , and reserve a Parking spot at the Tailgate . Then you can party with the Home bros
I believe you can take in a Camera but It cant be a Professional type

StormySooner-IN
9/14/2008, 02:00 PM
Im going to the TCU game.

It will be my second. Last year I went to the Utah State game. Flew down in the morning....got a hotel, changed....parked at LNC and took the shuttles.

Cant wait for 2 weeks.

Taxman71
9/15/2008, 08:37 AM
My first was OU Syracuse..i remember we won on a last second FG..John Blake was the coach. wow I love bob stoops

Actually, we won that one by blocking Cuse's field goal at the end....it was about 99 degrees with 99% humidity that day...Donavon McNabb was puking on the field.

Despite the seeming ease of parking at the LNC and shuttling to the stadium, if you only go to one game a year or less, I would advise you to park north of campus corner so you can walk through campus corner (the streets are blocked off, lots of TV/Radio setups and plenty of food and drink). You can park at severl church-run lots a block south of Main Street which have their own shuttles if you really need one. You will soak up alot more atmosphere than the LNC shuttle. And, of course, Dean's tailgate is only a block east of the campus corner crowd.

tigepilot
9/15/2008, 12:12 PM
Actually, we won that one by blocking Cuse's field goal at the end....it was about 99 degrees with 99% humidity that day...Donavon McNabb was puking on the field.

Yeah, I was at that game... later that same day I more or less stole my current wife from her date at a company party. :D

First game for me was OU-Tulsa back in the 80s. I was young enough that I don't remember a whole heck of a lot but I do remember Tulsa having to kickoff several times in a row because they kept kicking it out of bounds.

CK Sooner
9/15/2008, 12:36 PM
Im going to the TCU game.

It will be my second. Last year I went to the Utah State game. Flew down in the morning....got a hotel, changed....parked at LNC and took the shuttles.

Cant wait for 2 weeks.

By yourself?

jdubb22bronco
9/16/2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I was at that game... later that same day I more or less stole my current wife from her date at a company party. :D

First game for me was OU-Tulsa back in the 80s. I was young enough that I don't remember a whole heck of a lot but I do remember Tulsa having to kickoff several times in a row because they kept kicking it out of bounds.

i like the "current wife" comment...

deweydw
9/18/2008, 09:36 AM
WOOHOO!!! It's a 6 pm kick off. Going to have plenty of time soak it all in. This is going to be sweet!!!

deweydw
9/23/2008, 12:20 PM
Ok, this is what I'm going to be doing Saturday. We're going to be getting there about 1 or 2 pm. Park at the Loyd Noble Center. Start walking north through the campus and check out everything. Switzer center, spreading seed statue, hiesman statues, et al... Make our way to Campus corner. Check out the band at the north oval. Stop by the tailgate. Get a bite to eat. Make our way back to the stadium. Try and get in there about an hour before the game. So we should be worn out by game time. (whew)

GHOB SOONER
9/23/2008, 12:54 PM
Congrats. This should be a much more enjoyable and memorable game than my 1st. 1966 Mo (10) @ Norman (7).

tigepilot
9/23/2008, 01:14 PM
i like the "current wife" comment...

What I meant was that she was not my wife then and but is now. Was not meant to imply anything else.

texas bandman
9/23/2008, 11:13 PM
My first game was Pittsburg in 1969. I went to each home game that year as a Boy scout usher. The most memorable moment was after the Nebraka game, I was standing next to the ramp in the southwest corner where the team went out. Steve Owens came off the field and I will never forget the dejected look on his face. I think that that day was the only game he was held under 100 yards. Sad day.

Southeast Sooner
9/24/2008, 04:57 PM
I'm in sec. 16, row 68. Have fun! I alway's do!

StormySooner-IN
9/24/2008, 05:17 PM
By yourself?
No, its a father-son trip.

3 days...!

Jason White's Third Knee
9/24/2008, 07:31 PM
I remember the first time I got laid...

Wait, no I don't.

Hmmph.

deweydw
9/28/2008, 08:14 PM
I had a great time!! My son and I got in to town around 1 pm. I parked on one of the streets off of Boyd. Then we walked down to the campus. Sarted out down the north oval making our way to the south oval. Checking out all the statues and buildings. Went by the clock tower. My son was very impressed. He goes to UNT, by the way. Walked through the tailgate area. Better than any NFL tailgating that I've ever seen. Made it to Campus Corner. Bought my son a couple OU shirts. He said he'll wear them on green day at UNT.

As for the game... We were in the NEZ, sec. 16 row 72. When the Pride came on the field before the game. I got a little teary eyed. Then at the end of the national anthem, I was surprised when "land of the free, and the home of the SOONERS!!". I had to take off my sunglasses and wipe away the tear. I was moved. Then all the chants and cheers. My son was very impressed with the school spirit. They don't have much, if any, at UNT. Any way, we had a great time. Can't wait to do it again.

Here's some pics....

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong. Can you guess which one?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/outofplace.jpg

My son Ben

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/Ben.jpg

Seats on the last row.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/lastrow.jpg

Me relaxing in the shade.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/intheshade.jpg

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 08:22 PM
Great Pics , Glad you had a good time
Feels good to lose yer Cheery dont it ;)

deweydw
9/28/2008, 08:25 PM
Great Pics , Glad you had a good time
Feels good to lose yer Cheery dont it ;)

And how...:D

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 08:27 PM
And how...:D

Got Mo pics ?
and did you go By the SF tailgate ?

deweydw
9/28/2008, 08:29 PM
This is the moment I got a little emotional.... :rolleyes: I just love the Pride.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/ThePride.jpg

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 08:31 PM
Mo Pics

deweydw
9/28/2008, 08:42 PM
Got Mo pics ?
and did you go By the SF tailgate ?

I wasn't really sure were the tailgate was. I assumed it was at the south end of the stadium. We did go there and wlaked through. I forgot my digital camera. So I bought a disposable. Not very many pics. But here's a few more.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/Seeder.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/building.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/clocktower.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/hiesmanpark.jpg

Looking towards campus corner.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/campuscorner.jpg

deweydw
9/28/2008, 08:53 PM
We laughed at the oblivious cam.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/obliviouscam.jpg

deweydw
9/28/2008, 09:04 PM
Here's some of the game...

Heading to the stadium.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/tothestadium.jpg

OU taking the field.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/takingthefield.jpg

Sooner Schooner

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/SoonerSchooner-1.jpg

End of first quarter.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/endoffirstqtr.jpg

And the kneel down to finish the game.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/deweydw/kneeldown.jpg

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 12:14 AM
Im really Glad you had a Great time
But as to the game there was nevar any doubt .;)

deweydw
9/29/2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks, I did have a great time. I told the guy next to me that this game was my first. He told me that I would be hooked. I'm currently trying to firgure out the next game to come to. I'll bring my daughter next time. She's thinking of going to UT. ;)