PDA

View Full Version : Road Games

cheezyq
9/9/2008, 04:37 PM
Last year, it was well-documented that OU struggled on the road. That's why I'm looking forward to our first real road test of the season at Washington. I personally believe that we can attribute the road woes of last year to Sam being a freshman and perhaps some lack of experience on offense. I think that we will be significantly better this year, but I'm curious to hear any point/counterpoint from the rest of you.

Thoughts?

OUMallen
9/9/2008, 04:39 PM
Team chemistry; lack of senior leadsership.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/9/2008, 04:44 PM
Last year people (posters) attributed the loss at Colorado to our conservative play calling on offense when the game seemed to be getting closer and closer (too many 3 and outs trying to run down the clock in the fourth). I would agree. We didn't necessarily play badly. Although I do remember (maybe not?) Hawkins running all over us late in the game.

The road loss at Tech is usually associated with the loss of Sam. The fact is that the defense was atrocious (yeah, Teck scores, but still..)

Iowa State... no excuses. That game still blows my mind. I was out of town and didn't see all of the game though.

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 04:54 PM
Last year, it was well-documented that OU struggled on the road. That's why I'm looking forward to our first real road test of the season at Washington. I personally believe that we can attribute the road woes of last year to Sam being a freshman and perhaps some lack of experience on offense. I think that we will be significantly better this year, but I'm curious to hear any point/counterpoint from the rest of you.

Thoughts?

I think you could make more of a case that we've struggled "On the Road" since 2004.

Bob has a good winning percentage at Home.

I think it's always going to be Road Games that we worry about for some reason.

I don't think any of it has to do with one player either.

Our Offense has to hit on all cylinders when we are on the road IMO.

This coasting to a win has got to stop.

The Defense has to step up on the road too.

The Defense has to give the Offense more opportunities.

The Special Teams we saw last week....CAN'T HAPPEN ON THE ROAD.

cheezyq
9/9/2008, 04:55 PM
Last year people (posters) attributed the loss at Colorado to our conservative play calling on offense when the game seemed to be getting closer and closer (too many 3 and outs trying to run down the clock in the fourth). I would agree. We didn't necessarily play badly. Although I do remember (maybe not?) Hawkins running all over us late in the game.

The road loss at Tech is usually associated with the loss of Sam. The fact is that the defense was atrocious (yeah, Teck scores, but still..)

Iowa State... no excuses. That game still blows my mind. I was out of town and didn't see all of the game though.

I think you're hitting on some good points. The one thing I'd disagree with is the defense. Our defense is always inconsistent under Venables, so I'm not sure that's a determining factor. And, after halftime, we did seem to slow Tech down considerably.

What struck me is the offense, though. Our true road games (besides Tulsa), we scored 24, 17, and 27, the lowest of all. Our neutral games weren't a lot better - 28, 38, 28. That's MUCH lower than our average at home, which is what led me to think inexperience on offense was the issue.

JLEW1818
9/9/2008, 04:57 PM
We win in Lubbock if Sam does not go down. You can blame it on anybody, if Allen Patrick would not have fumbled Sam would not have tackled the runner. Or if Reggie Smith does not muff the punt against Colorado, we have a better chance to win. Those are two issues that were obvious, but I don't blame the losses on them. People often times use that as the only reason we lost, I don't. Say we were at home those two games, and the same things happened. I think we end up winning at home. So I guess in the end, you have to make fewer mistakes when your on the road, that's the main thing.

cheezyq
9/9/2008, 04:59 PM
I think you could make more of a case that we've struggled "On the Road" since 2004.

I totally agree. But my focus was on what could be different from last year to this year to make a difference, since our players are mostly the same.

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 05:00 PM
you have to make fewer mistakes when your on the road, that's the main thing.

That right there...

Penalties...turnovers....all road death.

yermom
9/9/2008, 05:04 PM
i watched Sam not throw to Kelly when he was in single coverage in what seemed like all day in Colorado. it was like he was panicked or something and locked on to Iglesias

if we field one more punt successfully, we win that game, even with our offense struggling most of the game. our defense just couldn't hang on any longer. the time of possession on that game was just ridiculous

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272720038

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 05:07 PM
I totally agree. But my focus was on what could be different from last year to this year to make a difference, since our players are mostly the same.

That's my point.

Nothing.

It's still the same Bob Stoops System.

He believes in it...

It's the Penalties and Turnovers.

Perfect Games.

I remember the SI Cover with Josh on the front. "PERFECT"

Your not always going to play perfect...but you have to play smart.

Cincinnati was getting their *** handed to them Saturday...they turned up the emotion and we reacted...the result....a 28-20 score at one point.

You can't let that happen...especially on the road.

I believe it led to the meltdown against SUC too.

If there is anything...I think it's that.

Still...I'd rather have Bob Stoops on OUr side as I believe in his system and in his abilities as a Coach. He just needs it all to gel together like it did in 2000.

JLEW1818
9/9/2008, 05:07 PM
That right there...

Penalties...turnovers....all road death.

Yep they are twice as harmful when a team is on the road.

tigepilot
9/9/2008, 05:08 PM
I get tired of people saying Bradford playes poorly on the road... the team yes, but Bradford's only game where he played badly was at Iowa State. His numbers were bad at Colorado but he was hitting the recievers, they just weren't catching... you can even say that regarding the two interceptions. And of course, at Tech, he didn't play enough to play good or bad.

Sure the team has issues on the road but I keep hearing it attributed to Bradford for some reason, including in the first post here.

TahoeSOONER
9/9/2008, 05:09 PM
So tight on the road. Leadership, can we have a little fun on the road please?Remember when you were playing drive way to drive way, laughing your *** off, with your neighborhood crew hanging all over your back? That corner route towards the street/mailbox? This has everything to do with coaching as senior leadership. It's a game boys, have more fun than the other team and play loose, play fundamentals, but PLAY! BOOMER!

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 05:12 PM
I get tired of people saying Bradford playes poorly on the road... the team yes, but Bradford's only game where he played badly was at Iowa State. His numbers were bad at Colorado but he was hitting the recievers, they just weren't catching... you can even say that regarding the two interceptions. And of course, at Tech, he didn't play enough to play good or bad.

Sure the team has issues on the road but I keep hearing it attributed to Bradford for some reason, including in the first post here.

In Football...the QB always gets at least part if not all of the blame.

It's probably not gonna change.

The Hybl and White controversy was full of it.

It was some of the saddest days on this board IMO.

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 05:13 PM
So tight on the road. Leadership, can we have a little fun on the road please?Remember when you were playing drive way to drive way, laughing your *** off, with your neighborhood crew hanging all over your back? That corner route towards the street/mailbox? This has everything to do with coaching as senior leadership. It's a game boys, have more fun than the other team and play loose, play fundamentals, but PLAY! BOOMER!

That wOUld be awesome.

I might even start a Road Streak again. :D

VA Sooner
9/9/2008, 09:14 PM
Travis Lewis more than stepped up as a Sooner. Redshirt freshman with 12 tackles and 2 sacks against a good Cincinnati team. Need Austin Box on the other side of Reynolds now.

The glaring issue now... kickoff and punt cover teams... too many missed tackles and coming too quick to the receiver leaving the coverage guys with bad angles. Anyone in Norman watching the practices this week? Bet they're kicking over and over again and practicing this. Gilyard exposed us last Saturday... better to know now though.

Breadburner
9/9/2008, 09:31 PM
Defense...Defense..Defense.....No turnovers....

JLEW1818
9/9/2008, 11:23 PM
No turnovers, no stupid offensive holding. We can get away with that stuff at home obviously, not on the road.

KingBarry
9/10/2008, 01:09 AM
Does anyone agree with me?

The team I saw last year at Iowa State, I saw last Saturday during the second quarter.

They just kind of lost focus, went on autopilot, and fortunately Cincy turned it on well enough to be sure they woke up at halftime.

Let`s stop sleepwalking at all!

SoonerKnight
9/10/2008, 01:39 AM
I don't think they were sleep walking last saturday. I rewatched the game twice and the second quarter had some good plays. Let's remember that cincy was a very good team last year defensively and I believe most of those players came back! They played well in the 2nd quarter because they were so far behind.

StoopTroup
9/10/2008, 05:02 AM
I'd have to agree Knight.

Don't think I saw sleepwalking as much as I saw us beginning to act on the Cincinnati players over-emotion and say their smack talking and dirty little extra jabs. I know these things happen and we seem to have a few guys that really tire quickly of it. I just hate when the refs don't even try to get a handle on it. Then they start throwing penalties and we get off track.

primetime43
9/10/2008, 07:20 AM
We lost at Colorado because of conservative play calling. That was one of the worst games for Kevin Wilson. I recall many run plays on 3rd and long.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/13/2008, 02:24 PM
We win in Lubbock if Sam does not go down. You can blame it on anybody, if Allen Patrick would not have fumbled Sam would not have tackled the runner. Or if Reggie Smith does not muff the punt against Colorado, we have a better chance to win. Those are two issues that were obvious, but I don't blame the losses on them. People often times use that as the only reason we lost, I don't. Say we were at home those two games, and the same things happened. I think we end up winning at home. So I guess in the end, you have to make fewer mistakes when your on the road, that's the main thing.

IT'S ALL GEORGE W. BUSHESSS'S FAULT!!121!1!
Seven degrees of separation: George Bush style

Part One:
Oklahoma would've never choked on the road against Colorado

1: Dubya passes no child left behind.
2: Cody Hawkins's school does well on the standardized tests and they get extra funding.
3: They put their extra money toward their athletic programs.
4: Cody Hawkins improves as a quarterback due to their extra new helmets and shoes.
5: Colorado (ok, daddy) decides to give him a scholarship.
6: Colorado (ok, daddy) names Cody Hawkins starting quarterback.
7: Cody Hawkins and the Buffs beat Oklahoma.
:mad: :mad: :mad: