PDA

View Full Version : MONA CHAREN on the SARAH

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/9/2008, 03:47 PM
A beautiful and inspiring read:

Is Trig at the Heart of Media's Reaction to Palin?
Tue Sep 9, 3:00 AM ET

There were basically two things known about Sarah Palin when her name was announced on Aug. 29 and the mediasphere began to shudder and pulsate: She was a recently elected governor and the mother of five children including a handicapped infant. The scorn from the mainstream press and the left-leaning blog world was both intense and instantaneous. Andrew Sullivan of The Atlantic immediately began circulating rumors that Trig was not the governor's baby — that she had engaged in a huge charade to cover up her teen daughter's illegitimate child. The New York Times reported on the front page that Palin had been a member of the Alaska Independence Party. Eleanor Clift of Newsweek described the reaction of most newsrooms to Palin's elevation as "literally laughter." US Weekly rushed out a cover story picturing Palin holding her baby son with the headline "Babies, Lies, & Scandal."

And that was just the throat-clearing phase. NBC's Brian Williams wondered whether she could discharge her responsibilities with all those kids. Sally Quinn of the Washington Post asked, "Will she put her country first, or will she put her family first?" Mort Kondracke called her a "wacko right-winger."

Now it hardly needs mentioning that Brian Williams and company would sew their own lips closed before ever uttering such heresy about a liberal woman candidate. Nor would it even occur to them to question any male candidate's fitness because of the number of children he had.

How do the media poobahs explain it? They say (and to her credit, Sally Quinn has apologized for her comments) that it was Palin's inexperience that prompted their contempt. But aren't these the same people who had just the week before been defending Barack Obama's thin resume?

Something about Sarah Palin set them off before their own politically correct impulses ("Must Avoid Sexism") could inhibit them. By the ferocity of the response, you might have thought Palin was a secret member of a polygamous cult or had forced her daughter to give birth after a rape. But no, she was just the mother of five, hunting, fishing, NRA member, and governor.

I wonder if it was that baby.

Sarah Palin is no ordinary pro-lifer. She is an attractive, intelligent, ambitious, successful woman who has actually lived her convictions. Told that the baby she was carrying would be handicapped with Down syndrome, she and her husband made the only decision their consciences would permit — to welcome this child with the same love they would give to any other. That decision is comparatively rare in America. Fully 80 percent of parents who receive a diagnosis of Down syndrome in their unborn children elect to abort. But it's not unusual at all among committed pro-lifers. I have met many in the course of speaking to pro-life audiences. And for every couple that has chosen life for a handicapped child, there are thousands and perhaps millions more who have abjured prenatal testing because under no circumstances would they abort their children. I cannot count the times I've amazed pro-choice people with the news that there are even waiting lists of couples who stand ready to adopt Down syndrome babies.

The example of people living their principles by embarking on the undeniably difficult path of raising a handicapped child is a hard one to dismiss. In fact, it's hard not to admire. Don't most of us, deep down, really think that the most humane and honorable thing is to treat all life as sacred? Even if you are not religious or have no belief in God — doesn't it appeal to an enlightened humanism to give support and love to the handicapped? In fact, most pro-choice people probably treat the handicapped with terrific compassion and care. They doubtless support civil rights legislation like the Americans with Disabilities Act, additional school spending, and generous Social Security benefits. They'd be the first to hold the door for someone in a wheelchair, and they'd be friendly toward anyone with obvious mental retardation.

But for themselves, they would abort. And there stands Sarah, Trig Palin in her arms, a beautiful ambassador for the path of humility, duty, honor, and grace. It's no wonder she was in their crosshairs from the get go.

To find out more about Mona Charen and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2008 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.

JohnnyMack
9/9/2008, 03:52 PM
Whoptee ****ing doo.

My wife and I have two kids and never even had the Down's test done because we knew it didn't matter; we were having those babies no matter what.

And we're both proud atheists. Who also happen to be pro-choice.

So take your broad generalizations and go play somewhere else.

SoonerStormchaser
9/9/2008, 03:59 PM
So I guess telling you to go to hell doesn't mean anything, eh? :rolleyes:

soonerscuba
9/9/2008, 04:01 PM
Whoptee ****ing doo.

My wife and I have two kids and never even had the Down's test done because we knew it didn't matter; we were having those babies no matter what.

And we're both proud atheists. Who also happen to be pro-choice.

So take your broad generalizations and go play somewhere else.
The very first thing I thought about was the Chris Rock "I take care of my kids" bit.

JohnnyMack
9/9/2008, 04:10 PM

I less than care what you tell me.

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 04:11 PM
"The Sarah"...is that anything like "The Messiah"? Nah, couldn't be. Just because Palin came out of nowhere to become an instant celebrity and the subject of unabashed swooning for her partisans, that's no reason to think the pubz have found their own Obama.

9/9/2008, 04:26 PM
"The Sarah"...is that anything like "The Messiah"? Nah, couldn't be. Just because Palin came out of nowhere to become an instant celebrity and the subject of unabashed swooning for her partisans, that's no reason to think the pubz have found their own Obama.Now, don't you go getting angry, young fella!

LilSooner
9/9/2008, 04:32 PM
Well flip her a doggy biscuit. There are millions of women everyday who make that decision and they don't get long winded diatribes about why they are such grand human beings.

Listen she needs to make the decision that Obama did and not whore out her children for the vote. Obama realized early on that doing interviews with his children wasn't something he wanted to objected them to.

She needs to make the same decision, and the press needs to drop the whole thing.

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 04:33 PM

WWJDSSC?

9/9/2008, 04:36 PM
Well flip her a doggy biscuit. There are millions of women everyday who make that decision and they don't get long winded diatribes about why they are such grand human beings.

Listen she needs to make the decision that Obama did and not whore out her children for the vote. Obama realized early on that doing interviews with his children wasn't something he wanted to objected them to.

She needs to make the same decision, and the press needs to drop the whole thing.Yeehah!

JohnnyMack
9/9/2008, 04:46 PM
Yeehah!

A well reasoned and thought provoking response. Good job.

9/9/2008, 04:54 PM
The SARAH is an enthiusiastic and outspoken conservative, who appears fearless of the dark side, so far, and she can both defend and attack. A shocker to most people.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/9/2008, 04:54 PM
Hmmm. . .got this in an email today:

She eloped 8/29/88 and first child Track was born 4/20/89. Also he spent last year of high school in Michigan (living with???) and left Alaska to avoid jail for his role in vandalizing school bus, which included cutting brake lines

SoonerInKCMO
9/9/2008, 05:01 PM
Hmmm. . .got this in an email today:

She eloped 8/29/88 and first child Track was born 4/20/89. Also he spent last year of high school in Michigan (living with???) and left Alaska to avoid jail for his role in vandalizing school bus, which included cutting brake lines

Ehh... like mother, like daughter.

Mandibleclaw
9/9/2008, 05:03 PM
The difference is simple, Obama has been in 20 debates and 100's of interviews over the last 20 months. Whether you agree with him or not, he is at least a known quantity. The tapping of Sarah Palin is to draw disenfranchised women voters who want a woman in power at all costs. The last thing the republicans want to do is allow the media to get beyond the surface of Sarah Palin.

As it stands right now, identity is trumping ideology. Which takes me back to the wisdom of Dean, people are stupid.

JohnnyMack
9/9/2008, 05:04 PM
The difference is simple, Obama has been in 20 debates and 100's of interviews over the last 20 months. Whether you agree with him or not, he is at least a known quantity. The tapping of Sarah Palin is to draw disenfranchised women voters who want a woman in power at all costs. The last thing the republicans want to do is allow the media to get beyond the surface of Sarah Palin.

As it stands right now, identity is trumping ideology. Which takes me back to the wisdom of Dean, people are stupid.

Charlie Gibson gets her on Thursday. I'm curious to see his line of questioning.

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 05:06 PM
Also he spent last year of high school in Michigan (living with???)

I read that he played really-minor-league hockey there. That's supposed to throw Michigan over to the pubz or something.

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 05:07 PM
Charlie Gibson gets her on Thursday. I'm curious to see his line of questioning.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CyoIstCCL._AA280_.jpg

Mandibleclaw
9/9/2008, 05:07 PM

Charlie Gibson isn't exactly a hard-nosed interviewer, I say we dig up Tim Russert so she can be properly questioned. ;)

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 05:09 PM

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2004/Nov/12/sp24a2_b.jpg

9/9/2008, 05:10 PM
I understand the left's interests have a team of investigators all over AK, willing to pay anyone for any dirt on THE SARAH. Makes you wonder why those concerned journalists haven't been interested in looking very deep into Obama's connections with all those unsavory characters from his past. Oh, well, if it doesn't bother you guys on the left, that speaks volumes.

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 05:11 PM

http://blogs.menupages.com/philadelphia/20080310marshmallow.jpg

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 05:12 PM
Makes you wonder why those concerned journalists haven't been interested in looking very deep into Obama's connections with all those unsavory characters from his past.

Yeah, we haven't one single word about Obama's background. :rolleyes:

soonerscuba
9/9/2008, 05:14 PM
I understand the left's interests have a team of investigators all over AK, willing to pay anyone for any dirt on THE SARAH.
We learned from the best ten years ago.

Mandibleclaw
9/9/2008, 05:15 PM

http://pix.nofrag.com/e/b/4/c95eb76913353f78a5e0cb92fea28.jpg (http://pix.nofrag.com/e/b/4/c95eb76913353f78a5e0cb92fea28.html)

JohnnyMack
9/9/2008, 05:15 PM
I understand the left's interests have a team of investigators all over AK, willing to pay anyone for any dirt on THE SARAH. Makes you wonder why those concerned journalists haven't been interested in looking very deep into Obama's connections with all those unsavory characters from his past. Oh, well, if it doesn't bother you guys on the left, that speaks volumes.

Does the fact that she lied about her connection with the bridge to nowhere bother you? Does the fact that she got more money per capita than any other state did from the U.S. Govt in the form of earmarks but talks about "change" bother you?

LilSooner
9/9/2008, 05:18 PM
JohnnyMack you should really stop arguing and just start sipping the moose flavored coolaid they are handing out.

Don't you know that the SARAH is our salvation???!?!?!!

9/9/2008, 05:23 PM
Does the fact that she lied about her connection with the bridge to nowhere bother you? Does the fact that she got more money per capita than any other state did from the U.S. Govt in the form of earmarks but talks about "change" bother you?What bothers me, actually, is that there are Americans wanting to vote for an avowed nanny-state big govt. candidate, who has had uninvestigated connections with America-hating racists and terrorists. You know who you are.

Viking Kitten
9/9/2008, 05:24 PM
Ooh ooh! Me! Me!

Mandibleclaw
9/9/2008, 05:25 PM
The Sarah can conceive children without a man much like Mary did, since Obama is being described as the One and the Messiah. It's only fair the left can engage in such childish political labels. :rolleyes:

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 05:45 PM
The Sarah can conceive children without a man much like Mary did

But Mary was still married when she conceived her first child.

Ba-dum-bum!

royalfan5
9/9/2008, 06:00 PM
What bothers me, actually, is that there are Americans wanting to vote for an avowed nanny-state big govt. candidate, who has had uninvestigated connections with America-hating racists and terrorists. You know who you are.

Doesn't it make more sense to vote for the party that is up front about being a nanny state big government group than the party that swears they aren't but act like it anyway?

9/9/2008, 06:05 PM
Doesn't it make more sense to vote for the party that is up front about being a nanny state big government group than the party that swears they aren't but act like it anyway?You're a smart guy. You should have observed by now the repubs are not going to be as totally effed -up as the dems even promise to be. Answer your own Q.

royalfan5
9/9/2008, 06:08 PM
You're a smart guy. You should have observed by now the repubs are not going to be as totally effed -up as the dems even promise to be. Answer your own Q.

Forgive me if I am a little skeptical of the R's as their meddling with my sector of the economy has caused me some inconvience of late.

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 06:12 PM
You should have observed by now the repubs are not going to be as totally effed -up as the dems even promise to be. Answer your own Q.

I know what I've observed. Record deficit, domestic spying without oversight, and largest entitlement program since FDR. Whodunnit? Not the demz!

KC//CRIMSON
9/9/2008, 06:26 PM

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/connectingprinciple/cp-pic/project-images/cupcake.jpg

9/9/2008, 06:29 PM
Forgive me if I am a little skeptical of the R's as their meddling with my sector of the economy has caused me some inconvience of late.It won't help you to fool yourself.

royalfan5
9/9/2008, 06:34 PM
It won't help you to fool yourself.
and neither will voting Republican as far as I can tell.

LosAngelesSooner
9/9/2008, 06:38 PM
The SARAH is the dark side.Fixed.

LosAngelesSooner
9/9/2008, 06:40 PM
Hey, Genius...do you actually think Hillary's people didn't already do that? :rolleyes:

Okla-homey
9/9/2008, 07:53 PM
The really cool part about this is the donks did themselves in. Again. In a year the GOP brand is at its lowest ebb in a generation, they should have waltzed to victory. They should have gone with the safe bet in HRC. That said, if BHO had picked HRC like he should have, it would be over. If BHO had picked Kathleen Sebelius like he could have, this would be over.

But no, he picks a DC hack, leaving the door open for JSM to choose SHP. And the rest, as they say, is history.

It's a chess game, and BHO very probably blew it before the DNC convention when he passed on HRC. And you know what? That error in judgment has very probably guarenteed the 'Pubs will own the White House for the next 16 years. Personally, I'm excited because during that period, at least three of the libz on the Court will either retire or die.

If that happens, the sky's the limit on undoing an awful lot of failed policies.

BTW, realclearpolitics reports JSM is up by 33 points in Oklahoma. And to think, people I knew wondered why I retired and moved home. We don't have salt water, but we have an awful lot of Great Americans in this state!

LilSooner
9/9/2008, 07:58 PM
I agree he should have picked HRC.

9/9/2008, 07:59 PM
The really cool part about this is the donks did themselves in. Again. In a year the GOP brand is at its lowest ebb in a generation, they should have waltzed to victory. They should have gone with the safe bet in HRC. That said, if BHO had picked HRC like he should have, it would be over. If BHO had picked Kathleen Sebelius like he could have, this would be over.

But no, he picks a DC hack, leaving the door open for JSM to choose SHP. And the rest, as they say, is history.

It's a chess game, and BHO very probably blew it before the DNC convention when he passed on HRC. And you know what? That error in judgment has very probably guarenteed the 'Pubs will own the White House for the next 16 years. Personally, I'm excited because during that period, at least three of the libz on the Court will either retire or die.

If that happens, the sky's the limit on undoing an awful lot of failed policies.

BTW, realclearpolitics reports JSM is up by 33 points in Oklahoma. And to think, people I knew wondered why I retired and moved home. We don't have salt water, but we have an awful lot of Great Americans in this state!Speck sentiments to you!

Okla-homey
9/9/2008, 08:02 PM
I agree he should have picked HRC.

So be mad at BHO on 11/4 when the balloons fall at JSM/SHP headquarters and they deliver their victory speech. BHO shot himself in the foot, in a way, displaying an alarming lack of good judgment.

LosAngelesSooner
9/9/2008, 08:10 PM
Overturning Roe v. Wade is un-American.

KC//CRIMSON
9/9/2008, 08:19 PM
And to think, people I knew wondered why I retired and moved home. We don't have salt water, but we have an awful lot of Great Americans in this state!

When he lays it on thick, he lays it on thick, folks.

Ike
9/9/2008, 08:29 PM
Does the fact that she lied about her connection with the bridge to nowhere bother you? Does the fact that she got more money per capita than any other state did from the U.S. Govt in the form of earmarks but talks about "change" bother you?

Nope...nobody cares that she was before it before she was against it.

hmmm. That line sounds familiar. I could have sworn I heard that somewhere before.

Mandibleclaw
9/9/2008, 09:07 PM
Let's tally the books so far; Palin's lied about the bridge, lied about selling the plane on ebay, lied about firing a chef to reduce personal expenses, lied about billing the state for expenses while living at home, passed a law to bill rape victims testing kits and used her position to get her brother-in-law fired.

Now I would still have sex with her but she is just as corrupt and flawed as any other politician.

JohnnyMack
9/9/2008, 09:12 PM

BTW, realclearpolitics reports JSM is up by 33 points in Oklahoma. And to think, people I knew wondered why I retired and moved home. We don't have salt water, but we have an awful lot of Great Americans in this state!

Failed policies like running up a 9 trillion dollar national debt? Failed policies like allowing big corporations to shift jobs overseas to countries who aren't required to pay a decent wage? Failed policies like offering tax breaks to those same companies? Failed policies like a war in Iraq that has played out like the quixotic crusade of a madman at the cost of over 4,000 Amercian lives and nearly a trillion dollars?

Barack Obama was right when he said that people like you cling to guns or religion in lieu of delving deeper into the real policies that serve their longterm interests. While John McCain is in his heart more of a moderate, Sarah Palin is the kind of intolerant extremist who is bad for this country. She's a giant step backwards in terms of social policies and her claims of reforming government quickly ring hollow with not much more than a cursory glance. Like a remora in the ocean, she attaches herself to whatever larger entity she can in order to further her own cause. Look at her record of supporting Ted Stevens; until of course it became political suicide. Look at her flip flop into McCain's good graces with talk of reform and challenging earmarks and wasteful spending when previously she led the nation in per capita dollars secured for the people of Alaska.

People like you have long chided Obama supporters as being drawn into celebrity, of buying into "big rock candy mountain", or said that he's "all hat, no cattle". Now that it's happened to you, your side can't even be adult enough to admit it. That you're acting like a bunch of horny eighth graders over a woman whose record doesn't have any more depth or breadth than Obama's. For once admit just how ridiculous your hypocrisy has become.

Mandibleclaw
9/9/2008, 09:17 PM
I would rep you JM but I'm glad it's gone. :D

SouthFortySooner
9/9/2008, 09:38 PM
..."only a fool would say there is no God". jes sayin

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/9/2008, 09:59 PM
I agree he should have picked HRC.Totally disagree. There are still a lot of f'in hillbillies out there who will neither vote for a person of color or a person with girlie parts-not that this philosophy is correct. To combine the two would have been disastrous.

def_lazer_fc
9/9/2008, 11:16 PM

because "great americans" ONLY vote republican.

Harry Beanbag
9/9/2008, 11:44 PM
I would rep you JM but I'm glad it's gone. :D

Like he gives **** what you think. :rolleyes:

Harry Beanbag
9/9/2008, 11:45 PM
because "great americans" ONLY vote republican.

No. Great Americans vote against Socialism.

Veritas
9/9/2008, 11:48 PM
People like you blah blah balh

What do you mean "people like you?"

What do YOU mean "people like you?"

Harry Beanbag
9/9/2008, 11:50 PM
What do you mean "people like you?"

What do YOU mean "people like you?"

Tropical heh.

LosAngelesSooner
9/9/2008, 11:52 PM
"Blah blah BALH?!?!"

How DARE you summon Ba'al...

Veritas
9/9/2008, 11:57 PM
"Blah blah BALH?!?!"

How DARE you summon Ba'al...
Whatever man. All the good trim shows up at his temple. :D

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 06:06 AM
I don't get how you SHP haterz keep comparing our VP candidate with the top of your ticket, but if you insist: SHP is the wildly popular elected governor of the state with the second largest GDP and has a proven and documentable record of reform. OTOH, BHO is a guy who only won his Senate seat two years ago because the guy he ran against blew himself up in a secks scandal, and has done nothing since arriving in DC but run for president.

Oh, and one more thing before we dismantle your assertions below. Your boy called SHP a pig yesterday during a campaign appearance. That is not the way to pick up undecided female voters. just sayin.

Failed policies like running up a 9 trillion dollar national debt? Congress passes the appropriations bills, not the WH. Maybe you should get one of those pocket Constitutions former KKK member and Donk senator from WV Robert Byrd hands out. I bet if you write him he'll send you one. Maybe even a copy he carried at a cross-burning. Failed policies like allowing big corporations to shift jobs overseas to countries who aren't required to pay a decent wage? Decent wages? Trade Unions pushed those jobs overseas just like they're killing GM, Ford and Chrysler. When a carmaker like GM pays more for employee benefits than it does for steel, no one can reasonably doubt that company can't last. Failed policies like offering tax breaks to those same companies? Its simple, high taxes push capital off shore. Always has, always will. Failed policies like a war in Iraq that has played out like the quixotic crusade of a madman at the cost of over 4,000 Amercian lives and nearly a trillion dollars? Opinions vary. I don't think the Iraq War has been a failure. Throughout our history, we usually get our butt beat in the beginning, then we turn it around as our military leadership adapts. And 4000 deaths is tragic, but miniscule historically speaking. Especially for five years of slugging it out with monsters who don't observe the Geneva Convention.
Barack Obama was right when he said that people like you cling to guns or religion in lieu of delving deeper into the real policies that serve their longterm interests. This country was built by gun and Bible toting squaredancers. It has served us well for well over two hundred years. Why "change?" After all, those are the folks who do the hard work and heavy lifting when the chips are down and don't sit on the rears waiting and moaning for "change." While John McCain is in his heart more of a moderate, Sarah Palin is the kind of intolerant extremist who is bad for this country. She's a giant step backwards in terms of social policies and her claims of reforming government quickly ring hollow with not much more than a cursory glance. Spin it and her record however you want, Lord knows your lib media pals have tried. Nevertheless, none of this crap stuck and each flaming turd they toss at SHP's lap has fallen to the ground and quickly flamed-out. The folks like and respect her. Like a remora in the ocean, she attaches herself to whatever larger entity she can in order to further her own cause. Look at her record of supporting Ted Stevens; until of course it became political suicide. Look at her flip flop into McCain's good graces with talk of reform and challenging earmarks and wasteful spending when previously she led the nation in per capita dollars secured for the people of Alaska. She is the governor of Alaska. That's her job!

People like you have long chided Obama supporters as being drawn into celebrity, of buying into "big rock candy mountain", or said that he's "all hat, no cattle". Now that it's happened to you, your side can't even be adult enough to admit it. It's not "happened," your wishing that were the case doesn't make it so. My side is not the side promising all this free government provided bounty. That you're acting like a bunch of horny eighth graders over a woman whose record doesn't have any more depth or breadth than Obama's. I say again, the only thing your guy has ever done is run for office. Night and day. And remember, BHO isn't running against JSM/SHP so please stop with the comparisons, he's running against W, just like Kerry did. But I do agree on one thing, SHP is hawt. For once admit just how ridiculous your hypocrisy has become.

sooneron
9/10/2008, 08:42 AM
I don't get how you SHP haterz keep comparing our VP candidate with the top of your ticket...

Because she did it first?:rolleyes:

Watching the two sides of this is has been hilarious. They're making action figure dolls of SHP. Best run out and git some Homey!!

sooneron
9/10/2008, 08:44 AM
Anyone know why Sarah bounced around in college so much? Just curious...

Veritas
9/10/2008, 08:45 AM
Anyone know why Sarah bounced around in college so much? Just curious...
Because she hates America

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 09:27 AM
I don't get how you SHP haterz keep comparing our VP candidate with the top of your ticket, but if you insist: SHP is the wildly popular elected governor of the state with the second largest GDP and has a proven and documentable record of reform. OTOH, BHO is a guy who only won his Senate seat two years ago because the guy he ran against blew himself up in a secks scandal, and has done nothing since arriving in DC but run for president.

Oh, and one more thing before we dismantle your assertions below. Your boy called SHP a pig yesterday during a campaign appearance. That is not the way to pick up undecided female voters. just sayin.

Here's the solution: We shave back taxes as far as possible, we totally eliminate the unions, we make free trade even freer. No restrictions on corporations shifting jobs overseas or moving their wealth offshore. Eliminate tariffs completely on anything that is either a raw material of finished good that is imported into this country. That way the corporations get their products even cheaper. Total anarcho-capitalism. Bend the masses to the will of the corporations.

Your claim that the hard work in this country is done by those toting bibles is about as off the mark as it gets. The broad generalization that someone who would support Obama is only doing so because they want a handout is pretty simplistic. Hunker down here in your flyover state Homey, pretend the rest of the nation doesn't exist. And don't forget to vote Inhofe!

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 09:45 AM
Your boy called SHP a pig yesterday during a campaign appearance. That is not the way to pick up undecided female voters. just sayin.

i believe if you were to watch the clip, you would see Obama called the McCain policies lipstick on a pig. Much like McCain said about Clinton's health care plan about a year ago. personally, i think the Obama camp did it intentionally anticipating the McCain camp to cry foul, oh, it's sexism. blah, blah, blah. know what trumps false accusations of sexism? hypocrisy. and the McCain camp certainly fell prey to such a ploy.

just sayin'.

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 09:48 AM
i believe if you were to watch the clip, you would see Obama called the McCain policies lipstick on a pig. Much like McCain said about Clinton's health care plan about a year ago. personally, i think the Obama camp did it intentionally anticipating the McCain camp to cry foul, oh, it's sexism. blah, blah, blah. know what trumps false accusations of sexism? hypocrisy. and the McCain camp certainly fell prey to such a ploy.

just sayin'.

Didn't you know? It's OK when his side does it.

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 09:49 AM
Rick Davis (McCain's handler) has made it quite clear the rest of their campaign is going to be about attacking personalities, make-up fake outrage over innocent remarks and to avoid real issues at all costs.

Pricetag
9/10/2008, 10:05 AM

just sayin'.
Heh, I was at Goldie's last night, and they had the TV on Fox News, and the whole time I was there, there was this ticker at the bottom of the screen that had this banner above it that said "BREAKING NEWS" with the quote running underneath. Every few seconds, the BREAKING would get huge and pulsate. I had to laugh.

I hate crap like this. It's everything that is wrong with our political system and the mindset of so many of our voters who consider themselves to be "up" on politics. It's such dumb and dishonest thinking. And I know the Obama folks would do it if McCain said anything that could remotely be made out to be racist.

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 10:06 AM
Rick Davis (McCain's handler) has made it quite clear the rest of their campaign is going to be about attacking personalities, make-up fake outrage over innocent remarks and to avoid real issues at all costs.

Pssssst. The American electorate doesn't care much about "issues." They care about voting for people they like. Sorry to bust your balloon, but there it is. And right now, they seem to like JSM/SHP better than BHO/JB

Now, that said, its interesting to note that a few months ago, the BHO folks worked really hard to color any criticism of BHO as covertly racist. In fact, they're still doing it by equating jibes at his glorious past as a "community organizer" as attempts to lump him with the likes of Al Sharpton.

Now, it would appear that criticism of SHP is sexist -- and its working for her as well as it used to work for BHO. That is known in literary circles as being "hoisted on one's own petard." And its fabulous.:D

He better watch his mouth. The women of this country don't take too kindly to being called "pigs." I'm quite sure such comments are sure to help keep those HRC ladies in the BHO "stye."

Pricetag
9/10/2008, 10:08 AM
He better watch his mouth. The women of this country don't take too kindly to being called "pigs." I'm quite sure such comments are sure to help keep those HRC ladies in the BHO "stye."
Pffft. They're smarter than that.

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 10:10 AM
Pffft. They're smarter than that.

Yep. HRC is out bustin' her pant-suited tail attacking SHP and workin' it for BHO ain't she?:rolleyes:

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 10:13 AM
Yep. HRC is out bustin' her pant-suited tail attacking SHP and workin' it for BHO ain't she?:rolleyes:

And you are perfectly happy about this divide and conquer politics, anything to win eh. :rolleyes:

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 10:14 AM
Pssssst. The American electorate doesn't care much about "issues." They care about voting for people they like. Sorry to bust your balloon, but there it is. And right now, they seem to like JSM/SHP better than BHO/JB

Now, that said, its interesting to note that a few months ago, the BHO folks worked really hard to color any criticism of BHO as covertly racist. In fact, they're still doing it by equating jibes at his glorious past as a "community organizer" as attempts to lump him with the likes of Al Sharpton.

Now, it would appear that criticism of SHP is sexist -- and its working for her as well as it used to work for BHO. That is known in literary circles as being "hoisted on one's own petard." And its fabulous.:D

i know you're estrogen challenged homey, but i will say this... if some woman are naive enough to think obama called women pigs, there are more of us who thought a woman proudly comparing herself to a dog (and, yes, we all know the term for a female dog) is equally idiotic. now, that being said, i don't give a flyin' flip if palin compares herself to a dog with lipstick, or a prized jewel... i'm more concerned with my impression of her than the one she is spoon feeding me.

i do agree some HRC ladies will cling to palin as a fist towards equality, but some have gone running to BHO as well.

my point is... we see what we want to see. doesn't make us right or wrong. we probably just need more lipstick. :P

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:20 AM
The women of this country don't take too kindly to being called "pigs."

I suppose you have a link?

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 10:22 AM
And you are perfectly happy about this divide and conquer politics, anything to win eh. :rolleyes:

dang skippy, when the future of this country and the fate of the free world hangs in the balance.

Pricetag
9/10/2008, 10:23 AM
Obama would definitely have been better off going with "you can't polish a turd." McCain had better stay away from that one, though.

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 10:24 AM

Why was it OK for McCain to do it?

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 10:25 AM
i know you're estrogen challenged homey, but i will say this... if some woman are naive enough to think obama called women pigs, there are more of us who thought a woman proudly comparing herself to a dog (and, yes, we all know the term for a female dog) is equally idiotic. now, that being said, i don't give a flyin' flip if palin compares herself to a dog with lipstick, or a prized jewel... i'm more concerned with my impression of her than the one she is spoon feeding me.

i do agree some HRC ladies will cling to palin as a fist towards equality, but some have gone running to BHO as well.

my point is... we see what we want to see. doesn't make us right or wrong. we probably just need more lipstick. :P

all I know is when Mrs. Homey saw the tape, and without prompting from me, she looked at me and said, Oh no he dint!

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 10:26 AM
all I know is when Mrs. Homey saw the tape, and without prompting from me, she looked at me and said, Oh no he dint!

When you hate someone, you usually look for reasons to continue to hate and maybe even create reasons in your mind.......no offense mrs. homey.

Viking Kitten
9/10/2008, 10:28 AM
Homey, you're one of my favorite people on this board, and I have a great deal of respect for you. With that said, I'll also say you know perfectly well he didn't call her a pig. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence to suggest that he did. I think it's beneath you to play that game of "say it often enough and it becomes the truth."

leavingthezoo

then, mrs homey might want to take another look also. even if we buy into the theory he was referencing palin, at worst, he would have been calling her lipstick as it was she who was added to the ticket. and nowhere did he say "it's like putting a pig on lipstick." not that he said it the other way either. heh.

sigh.

JohnnyMack

When Mrs. JohnnyMack saw it, she laughed.

Guess we're even.

soonerscuba
9/10/2008, 10:29 AM
dang skippy, when the future of this country and the fate of the free world hangs in the balance.
Homey, I think you're a smart dude. But seriously, the fake outrage of remarks that your boy himself used himself a year ago are the exact mirror of the PC left crowd.

sooneron
9/10/2008, 10:35 AM
http://k41.pbase.com/o4/75/47975/1/61089116.TheDeepEnd_35169.jpg

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 10:36 AM
Homey, you're one of my favorite people on this board, and I have a great deal of respect for you. With that said, I'll also say you know perfectly well he didn't call her a pig. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence to suggest that he did. I think it's beneath you to play that game of "say it often enough and it becomes the truth."

C'mon VK. Did you hear the crowd response? They knew EXACTLY what he meant. srsly.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:43 AM
Okay, does anyone have a link to what Obama supposedly allegedly said?

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 10:46 AM
C'mon VK. Did you hear the crowd response? They knew EXACTLY what he meant. srsly.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k298/ToscasMom/GIFS/20809694.gif

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 10:47 AM
BR8IhMMhe8w

GBmd_OujjKM

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 10:47 AM
Obama addresses the phony outrage, brillant.

0zAbeu3v3Wc

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 10:50 AM
nm

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 10:52 AM
Okay, does anyone have a link to what Obama supposedly allegedly said?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPd4yk0x-eg

fair warning. it's pretty damning. and by damning, i mean... contains proof obama did not say this about palin. watch at your own risk. ;)

johnny always has to one up me with actual video and posting first. jerk.

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 10:56 AM
in the interest of being fair and balanced...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZd_Y_D-RaA

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 10:58 AM

Unfortunately, Homey is right. When's the last time taking the high road won an election in this country? On the one hand, I feel sorry for John McCain for being forced to stick to the Turd Blossom script, because I think he's better than that. On the other hand, he's ultimately reponsible for letting the Straight Talk Express veer to the right and into a ditch the last couple of years.

I still want to know, is McCain 2008 the real John McCain? What happened to McCain 2000?

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 10:59 AM

Wow homey, you take a youtube clip that takes out of context of what Obama said and is put against Palin's remarks. Your credibility just went out the window.

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 10:59 AM

0zAbeu3v3Wc

The only thing that could have made that better, is if he actually said "John McCain, what the f***?"

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 11:00 AM

oh homey. sigh.

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 11:04 AM

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/c/G/2/mcdesperate.jpg

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 11:04 AM
Wow homey, you take a youtube clip that takes out of context of what Obama said and is put against Palin's remarks. Your credibility just went out the window.

Homey needs to admit he was wrong on this one before he becomes totally irrelevant.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPd4yk0x-eg

Anybody who could watch that and think he was referring to Sarah Palin should have their voting registration revoked.

leavingthezoo
Homey needs to admit he was wrong on this one before he becomes totally irrelevant.

i'm pretty sure that's sexist. somehow.

Mandibleclaw
Not only Homey, but the whole McCain campaign for that matter.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 11:08 AM

So was John McCain calling Hillary a pig when he said the exact same thing in the exact same context?

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 11:10 AM
So was John McCain calling Hillary a pig when he said the exact same thing in the exact same context? When McCain used that analogy, he was directly speaking about one of Hillary's policies..............unlike Obama who was speaking about McCain's policies.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 11:13 AM
Anybody who could watch that and think he was referring to Sarah Palin should have their voting registration revoked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_C1nb9_HYk&feature=related

Congratulations, kobrlf, you are the stupidest person in America. :rolleyes:

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 11:14 AM
When McCain used that analogy, he was directly speaking about one of Hillary's policies..............unlike Obama who was speaking about McCain's policies.

Oh yes, now I see. It's totally different! :D

Viking Kitten
9/10/2008, 11:15 AM
One thing I will say, urbane Harvard grads should never, ever try to use folksy, downhome witticisms. They suck at it.

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 11:15 AM
One thing I will say, urbane Harvard grads should never, ever try to use folksy, downhome witticisms. They suck at it.

Gotcha. I'll try and avoid that in the future.

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 11:17 AM
You people need to start preparing yourselves for the notion the amateurs who are running Team Obama aren't up to the challenges posed by the Dark Lords of the GOP. It's still September. Just wait.

The funny thing is, BHO is playing right into the GOP web. If I was handling him, I would command him never to mention SHP again.

soonerscuba
9/10/2008, 11:18 AM
Fool me once...

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 11:24 AM
You people need to start preparing yourselves for the notion the amateurs who are running Team Obama aren't up to the challenges posed by the Dark Lords of the GOP. It's still September. Just wait.

The funny thing is, BHO is playing right into the GOP web. If I was handling him, I would command him never to mention SHP again.

He never mentioned her in the first place.

Remember what happened to the Dark Lords? They died.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 11:26 AM
Remember what happened to the Dark Lords? They died.

But not until after they had destroyed a planet....

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 11:28 AM
But not until after they had destroyed a planet....

spek would read: Heh.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 11:35 AM
spek would read: Heh.

Heh.

Pricetag
9/10/2008, 11:44 AM

Dude, you could be right about what you're saying here, but you still don't have a leg to stand on in this argument. Except maybe that Obama plagiarized McCain when he said it. He could have been the one who coined it.

Pricetag
9/10/2008, 11:47 AM
Is what Homey posted an actual commercial? I'm disappointed in McCain if it is.

lexsooner
9/10/2008, 12:15 PM
Or at least implied it? Not smart at all when you are fighting for female votes. What's up with that?

sooner_born_1960
9/10/2008, 12:16 PM
Wow.

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 12:17 PM
Thread failure alert!!!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/10/2008, 12:17 PM
Good lord people. And here I wonder why my damn head hurts.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/10/2008, 12:18 PM
Is there an echo in here?

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 12:18 PM
Homey's troll is on the loose.

9/10/2008, 12:25 PM
Lefty meltdown. You guys own this thread. Keep up the good work.

Mandibleclaw
9/10/2008, 12:30 PM

Actually this was a great exposure of the McCain tactics, the nomination of Palin always had the purpose of playing the sexist gender card. Well they jumped the gun and trotted it too soon on a irrelevant remark, to bad so sad.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/10/2008, 12:48 PM
That you're acting like a bunch of horny eighth graders over a woman whose record doesn't have any more depth or breadth than Obama's. For once admit just how ridiculous your hypocrisy has become.

I'm no political strategist, but comparing the inexperience at the top of your ticket to the inexperience at the bottom of the other guys ticket doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me.

Also, it carcks me up that all of y'all spent 5 pages talking about that stupid BHO comment and McCain's trying to make something of it.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 12:52 PM
Good lord people. And here I wonder why my damn head hurts.

swr:h!

Scott D
9/10/2008, 01:22 PM

But in October of 2007, it was John McCain who used the phrase "lipstick on a pig" while talking about Hillary Clinton's healthcare proposals. Here is what McCain said:

"McCain criticized Democratic contenders for offering what he called costly universal health-care proposals that require too much government regulation. While he said he had not studied Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton's plan, he said it was "eerily reminiscent" of the failed plan she offered as first lady in the 1990s.

"I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," he said of her proposal."

and lest we forget a phrase uttered multiple times in 2004 by some guy named Dick Cheney

As we say in Wyoming -- (laughter) -- you can put all the lipstick you want on a pig, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig. (Applause.)

Obviously John McCain is sexist and Dick Cheney is well, we know he's anti-everyone but himself.

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 01:27 PM

Somewhere out there Bill O'Reilly just fell in love with RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone. Unfortunately, he can't do anything with that love until Rush gets back with the Mexican Viagra.

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 01:33 PM
Evidence disproves pig attack. You guys own this thread. Keep up the good work.

fixed that fer ya, skipper. ;)

Scott D
9/10/2008, 01:38 PM

except he's been playing this little game since last year. Problem is, it wasn't until the past few weeks that people started calling him on it.

9/10/2008, 01:47 PM
fixed that fer ya, skipper. ;)You pretty much admit you're hoping for socialism. Smart on ya!

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 01:48 PM
You pretty much admit you're hoping for socialism. Smart on ya!

Hey, it works for Sweden.

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 02:01 PM
It's politics folks.

In America, it's a contact sport. People drop passes, people sometimes step up from freshman unknowns and become stars. Soemtimes people have season or even career ending injuries. People occasionally break away and rush for 70 yards. Sometimes there are upsets. Sometimes the ranked team wins. Just enjoy it. It's like a great game that is always on in an election year.

No matter who wins, I can't rmemeber when I have enjoyed a season more.

Scott D
9/10/2008, 02:05 PM
Politics is more a reason to have public executions than a game.

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 02:11 PM
It's politics folks.

In America, it's a contact sport. People drop passes, people sometimes step up from freshman unknowns and become stars. Soemtimes people have season or even career ending injuries. People occasionally break away and rush for 70 yards. Sometimes there are upsets. Sometimes the ranked team wins. Just enjoy it. It's like a great game that is always on in an election year.

No matter who wins, I can't rmemeber when I have enjoyed a season more.

So you're saying you dropped a pass?

Pricetag
9/10/2008, 02:15 PM
This politics as a spectator sport thing is everything that is wrong with the process. Look at the results we're getting--everyone complains about it. The only people who can change it are us, but most of us are too busy cheering on our team. These are smart people willingly dumbing themselves down. I hate it.

r5TPsooner
9/10/2008, 02:17 PM
Totally disagree. There are still a lot of f'in hillbillies out there who will neither vote for a person of color or a person with girlie parts-not that this philosophy is correct. To combine the two would have been disastrous.

Maybe, but those racist hillbillies would have voted for a white woman over a black man in a heartbeat.

We shall see...

On a side note, the liberals and there media are so scared that it makes me all warm inside. Keep digging boyz, yer bound to find something on her but probably not as much as they'd find on The Obama if they tried hard enough.

Of course, they'd have to be looking for it first.

I forgot... The Obama gets a hall pass for the Reverend Wright thing, his taking sick days on voting in the senate, and his pals who make explosives and try to kill American citizens in the process, while being the 2nd biggest pork barrel producer in the Senate behind HRC.

I'd take a moose shooting whore any day of the week over that.

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 02:18 PM
You pretty much admit you're hoping for socialism. Smart on ya!

yes. that's it.

quick, what do i admit when i say salads with fruit are overrated?

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 02:19 PM

23!

r5TPsooner
9/10/2008, 02:20 PM
yes. that's it.

What is, "Heart Issues" for a $1000 Alec?

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 02:21 PM
Maybe, but those racist hillbillies would have voted for a white woman over a black man in a heartbeat.

We shall see...

On a side note, the liberals and there media are so scared that it makes me all warm inside. Keep digging boyz, yer bound to find something on her but probably not as much as they'd find on The Obama if they tried hard enough.

Of course, they'd have to be looking for it first.

I forgot... The Obama gets a hall pass for the Reverend Wright thing, his taking sick days on voting in the senate, and his pals who make explosives and try to kill American citizens in the process, while being the 2nd biggest pork barrel producer in the Senate behind HRC.

I'd take a moose shooting whore any day of the week over that.

I knew the Thunder in you would come out sooner or later.

r5TPsooner
9/10/2008, 02:22 PM
I knew the Thunder in you would come out sooner or later.

But you and I are golden.

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 02:26 PM
23!

What is, "Heart Issues" for a $1000 Alec?

until rush chimes in... i'm not sure which one of you are right.

maybe neither. maybe both.

only rush knows...:rolleyes:

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 02:31 PM
This politics as a spectator sport thing is everything that is wrong with the process. Look at the results we're getting--everyone complains about it. The only people who can change it are us, but most of us are too busy cheering on our team. These are smart people willingly dumbing themselves down. I hate it.

The problem is, a lot of really gifted and talented people will never go out for the team because they have a skeleton, or maybe just a small bone, rattling around in their closet that makes it impossible to endure the glare of media scrutiny.

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 02:32 PM
So you're saying you dropped a pass?

He's the Brent Parker of the SO.

r5TPsooner
9/10/2008, 02:45 PM
Interesting stuff. Being an independent and voting Republican I 1st saw the lipstick on a pig remark last nite for the first time and turned to my wife and stated that the Republicans are really overacting and reaching on The Obama's comment.

Needless to say that she didn't feel the same way and gave me an earful as to why it could be seen as a slam on Palin. However, I just didn't see it or maybe I'm not intelligent enough to?

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 02:47 PM
maybe I'm not intelligent enough

Let's stick with that.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/10/2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.mondaymorningmemo.com/mmm_images/June6_2005MMM.jpg

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 02:51 PM
Needless to say that she didn't feel the same way and gave me an earful as to why it could be seen as a slam on Palin. However, I just didn't see it or maybe I'm not intelligent enough to?

Ask her to explain it to you and then report back to us, because it makes about as much sense as that guy that was fired for using the word "niggardly".

Oops, now I did it.

EDIT: Actually, it makes even less sense than that.

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 02:51 PM
http://www.mondaymorningmemo.com/mmm_images/June6_2005MMM.jpg

Now all it needs is a hunting rifle.

r5TPsooner
9/10/2008, 02:54 PM
Let's stick with that.

BRILLIANT

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/10/2008, 02:54 PM
http://oldbluejacket.com/images/lipstick_on_a_pig.jpg

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 02:56 PM
http://oldbluejacket.com/images/lipstick_on_a_pig.jpg

That reminds me, it's almost time for the fair!!!!!!

Pricetag
9/10/2008, 02:59 PM
The problem is, a lot of really gifted and talented people will never go out for the team because they have a skeleton, or maybe just a small bone, rattling around in their closet that makes it impossible to endure the glare of media scrutiny.
It's not the media scrutiny, it's the fact that we react in the voting booth. We all have a healthy skepticsm of the media nowadays, but we still react. It's sad, and it will be incredibly tough to change, but it certainly doesn't justify playing the game.

OUMallen
9/10/2008, 03:03 PM

DAMN I wish I could spek you!

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 03:16 PM

Really? :rolleyes:

NORFOLK, Va. - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on Wednesday accused Republican John McCain's campaign of using "lies and phony outrage and Swift-boat politics" in claiming he used a sexist comment against vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

Calling it "the latest made-up controversy by the John McCain campaign," Obama responded to the Republicans' charge that he was referring to Palin when he used the phrase "lipstick on a pig" at a campaign stop Tuesday.

"I don't care what they say about me. But I love this country too much to let them take over another election with lies and phony outrage and Swift-boat politics. Enough is enough," he said.

Obama's reference was to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, an outside group that in 2004 made unsubstantiated allegations about Democratic nominee John Kerry's decorated military record in Vietnam.

In his initial comments Tuesday, Obama was delivering a dissertation about McCain and President Bush when he used the lipstick aphorism — not Palin. In fact, his reference to the Alaska governor later on was a defense of her strong belief in religion.

The lipstick maxim is hardly new to either Obama or McCain. The Democrat has used it in the past, and McCain repeated the folksy metaphor when he criticized Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on health care. McCain was never accused of being sexist when he uttered those words.

On Tuesday, Obama criticized McCain's policies as similar to those of President Bush, saying: "You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years."

The McCain campaign immediately jumped on the comments, arguing they were directed at Palin, the GOP's first woman on a presidential ticket. In her acceptance speech last week, she had referred to herself in a joke about lipstick being the only difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_el_pr/obama_lipstick

I guess Palin now owns the word "lipstick" just like Paris Hilton owns the phrase "That's Hawt."

But, for the record, Sarah Palin is a pig. There. Get outraged.

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 03:36 PM
Really? :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_el_pr/obama_lipstick

I guess Palin now owns the word "lipstick" just like Paris Hilton owns the phrase "That's Hawt."

But, for the record, Sarah Palin is a pig. There. Get outraged.

:mad:

Okla-homey
9/10/2008, 04:00 PM
My, my, this is certainly helpful in raising the level of debate...oh, and nice to make it about who wins the white wimmens.

S.C. Dem chair: Palin primary qualification is she hasn't had an abortion

South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler sharply attacked Sarah Palin today, saying John McCain had chosen a running mate " whose primary qualification seems to be that she hasn’t had an abortion.”

Palin is an opponent of abortion rights and gave birth to her fifth child, Trig, earlier this year after finding out during her pregnancy that the baby had Down syndrome.

Fowler told my colleague Alex Burns in an interview that the selection of an opponent of abortion rights would not boost McCain among many women.

“Among Democratic women and even among independent women, I don’t think it helped him,” she said.

Told of McCain's boost in the new ABC/Washington Post among white women following the Palin pick, Fowler said: "Just anecdotally, I believe that those white women are Republican women anyway."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/SC_Dem_chair_Palin_primary_qualification_is_she_ha snt_had_an_abortion_.html?showall

SoonerBorn68
9/10/2008, 04:06 PM
Speaking at a high school in Norfolk, Obama took a few moments to address what he calls "the made-up controversy" of the day, Amie Parnes reports.

Obama said the McCain campaign moved to "seize an innocent remark and take it out of context because they knew it's catnip for the news media."

"See, it would be funny, but the news media decided that would be the lead story yesterday. This happens every election cycle. Every four years, this is what we do. This is what they want to spend two of the last 55 days talking about...Enough!" he said.

Obama called the attacks "lies, outrage and swift boat politics."

"These are serious times and they call for a serious debate...spare me all the phony outrage. Spare me all the phony talk about change," he said.
UPDATE: McCain spokesman Brian Rogers responds: “Barack Obama can’t campaign with schoolyard insults and then try to claim outrage at the tone of the campaign. His talk of new politics is as empty as his campaign trail promises, and his record of bucking his party and reaching across the aisle simply doesn’t exist.”

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Obama_knocks_press_on_madeup_controversy.html

If Obama didn't realize his "innocent" comment wasn't going to be taken "that" way, he's a moron. I thought somebody running for POTUS should be smarter than that and express better judgement.

The "See, it would be funny" comment shows he meant it that way.

Enough! :rolleyes: *snicker*

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah...who wins the wimmins?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_el_pr/mccain

FAIRFAX, Va. - Republican presidential nominee John McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, equated lawmakers' requests for funding for special projects with corruption on Wednesday even though Palin herself has requested nearly $200 million in so-called "earmarks" this year.

Campaigning in Virginia, McCain suggested earmarks are particularly shameful at a time when families are struggling with rising food, gas and home mortgage costs. He vowed again to veto any bill that contains such funding.

"I got an old ink pen, my friends, and the first pork barrel-laden earmark, big-spending bill that comes across my desk, I will veto it. You will know their names. I will make them famous and we'll stop this corruption," McCain said during a rally at a park in suburban Washington, D.C.

Palin has sought $197 million worth of earmarks for 2009, down about 25 percent from the $256 million she sought in the 2008 budget year. As mayor of tiny Wasilla, Alaska, she hired a lobbyist to seek federal money for special projects. Wasilla obtained 14 earmarks, totaling $27 million, between 2000-2003, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama hasn't asked for any earmarks this year. The Illinois senator sought $311 million in such funding last year. McCain, an Arizona senator, doesn't seek earmarks for his state.
Undaunted by his running mate's ties to earmarks, McCain said: "I've fought corruption, and it didn't matter if it was Democrats or Republican, and so has Sarah Palin."

Palin said she has "championed earmark reform" as governor and "reformed the abuses of earmarks in our state." Now, she said, she is ready to join McCain in Washington "so we can end the corrupt practice of abusive earmarks after all."

The practice of earmarking — lawmakers inserting special requests for money for home-state projects in spending bills — is a longtime anti-Washington bugaboo for politicians running for office. Many find that, once in office, requests from constituents for help on a particular project is too tough to resist and support bringing that kind of money home to their states and districts.

"John McCain's idea of changing Washington is a vice-presidential candidate who, as governor, requested more pork per person than any other state in the country," said Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor.
Still, McCain and Palin's attack on earmarks in the face of those she has requested joins other statements by the vice presidential nominee that have been widely debunked:

_Palin routinely claims to have put an end to Alaska's infamous "bridge to nowhere," even though she supported the project during her gubernatorial campaign and turned against it only when it became a national embarrassment and Congress threatened to cut its funding.

_Palin has claimed that she put the governor's jet on the Internet auction site eBay (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/ap_on_el_pr/storytext/mccain/29043583/SIG=10mlohcf4/*http://www.ebay.com/), and McCain has said it was sold at a profit. However, the jet was never sold via eBay.

_Palin says she eliminated the governor's chef from the state budget, yet she gave the person another job in state government.

McCain aides said Thursday's event attracted the biggest non-convention crowd of his campaign, with local officials reporting an estimated 23,000 at the event. People filled the grass and hillsides to make a sea of red, as the state GOP exhorted everyone coming to wear the hue in a sign of support for the party, and they often drowned out the candidates' words with chanting.

Judging by shouts from the crowd, the enthusiasm seemed driven primarily by the presence of Palin. She has electrified both McCain's campaign and the party since he announced her as his running mate almost two weeks ago.

The reaction was significantly different in Philadelphia.

McCain made a solo trip for a roundtable discussion with half a dozen female business leaders at the Down Home Diner. The appearance, inside a bustling indoor downtown marketplace, formed a sharp contrast with the earlier joint show, as the arrival of both McCain's bus outside and him inside was greeted by loud Obama crowds.

The Republican could barely be heard over the Obama cheers by the women he met, or by reporters when McCain made a statement after.

"Pennsylvania is a battleground state, as we can tell," he said with a small smile.This is a fun game. Yeah.

"How Sarah Palin sunk the McCain Presidential Campaign and Broke the Straight Talk Express Down" - A future book title.

I hate the embarrasingly unqualified, overtly pandering, lying yainch. Sure...she'll win him the deep South and the radical right wingers, but Obama wasn't gonna get them anyway and he was gonna lose those states regardless. What she DID was cost him the middle. The moderates. The rational people. The educated. The well travelled. The dentally flush.

He should have been our President. He's a good man. She cost our country and I hate her for it.

SoonerInKCMO
9/10/2008, 04:12 PM

I'm pretty sure he means that the stupid misrepresentation by McCain's camp would be funny if it weren't for the fact that the news made it a lead story. :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
9/10/2008, 04:13 PM
Merge ahead.

SoonerInKCMO
9/10/2008, 04:14 PM
"Dentally flush".

:D

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 04:15 PM

Watch the video of him saying this (link in Rushbot's Palin thread). The "it would be funny" he's talking about the McCain campaign reaction to it, not what he said. As in "it would be funny to see the McCainiacs falling over themselves with fake outrage, but then you idiots in the media made it into the story of the day."

And please explain how "lipstick on a pig" is supposed to be a sleight against Palin by any stretch of the imagination.

Sooner02
The cry babies are McBush/Pain who cannot handle politics so they cry over a generic metaphor and claim it's about their self-labeled "pitbull" candidate. That's how the game is played, right Rove lovers?

JohnnyMack
Did you just say, "dentally flush"?

Jerk
blah blah blah.....uh...uhhhh....blah

Liar!

The chant was a reference to Palin's comment about being a hockey mom during her scalding speech at the Republican National Convention: "They say the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull. Lipstick.":)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/09/ohio_crowd_says_no_pit_bull.html

mdklatt
9/10/2008, 04:17 PM
If I say, "Republicans will cut government spending when pigs fly", did I just call McCain a pig because he was a pilot?

SoonerBorn68
9/10/2008, 04:18 PM
Oh, this is fun. Look at the Obamanistas fall into line.

Oh, and 02, you're my favorite. :)

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 04:18 PM
I did.

There's that Master's Degree in English getting in my way again. ;)

bri
9/10/2008, 04:23 PM
Sort of how like the McCainistas fall into line by "thinking" Obama was insulting Palin? Was the "wrap a stinky fish" analogy he used after the "lipstick on a pig" one also about Palin? Is she not so fresh?

Also, when McCain used the same saying last year to describe one of Hillary Clinton's policies, was it a sexist slur against her?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
This thread makes me miss spek.

Sooner02
It's a pretty lame and pathetic attempt to trump up something that doesn't exist. The backlash to their crocodile tear smear attempts is about to hit them back in the face.

As for all those calling Obama the cry baby. This is a very worn out cliche used many times:

Exhibit number one comes from Vice President Dick Cheney four years ago - also on the campaign trail.

”As we say in Wyoming, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig,” quipped Vice President Dick Cheney in a stump speech yesterday, with reference to John Kerry’s claims he would be a credible war president.

Exhibit number two comes special delivery from the Obama campaign pointing out that Senator McCain himself used this phrase almost a year ago describing Hillary Clinton’s health care plan.

“I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig,” he said of her proposal.

And exhibit number three comes from the always-reliable Marc Ambinder over at The Atlantic. Obama has used this phrase before as well.

‘I think that both General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker are capable people who have been given an impossible assignment,’ Sen. Barack Obama said yesterday in a telephone interview. ‘George Bush has given a mission to General Petraeus, and he has done his best to try to figure out how to put lipstick on a pig.

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 04:24 PM
This is not only weak, it's redundant.

We already have a thread discussing it.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119629&page=9

Join us. You can look stupid there just as easily as you can look stupid here. ;)

PhilTLL
9/10/2008, 04:25 PM
What the ****? The McCain camp has a line of bitching about the media that would go from here to Arizona and OBAMA's the crybaby? So how many pillows do y'all soak through at night, then?

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 04:26 PM
Oh, yeah. And I saved "Dentally Flush" for my 7,000th post. :)

SoonerBorn68
9/10/2008, 04:26 PM
Nah, this I like this one. I It's fun to watch the Obama boys squirm over here.

I'm hoping 02 gets mad enough to punchify his computer since I can't neg him to boliva anymore. I gotta do it out in the open.

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 04:27 PM
Are those typos or are you just drunk?

SoonerBorn68
9/10/2008, 04:28 PM
All I know is it got Obama's goat. (pun intended). & you you you can put lipstick on a pig, but but but it's (pause pause pause pause pause) still a pig.

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 04:29 PM
Kinda Funny 02 has been here since 03 But Has posted More in the last 2 weeks or so than at any other time.
SB68 Im gonna Join ya here cause the LLs seem to have ya out numbered .;)

SoonerBorn68
9/10/2008, 04:30 PM
Are those typos or are you just drunk?

Not drunk. I had hand surgery & my typing is suffering like Barry without a teleprompter.

soonerscuba
9/10/2008, 04:32 PM
Heh. Republicans getting self-righteous about words and sexism.

mdklatt
Was the "wrap a stinky fish" analogy he used...also about Palin?

Just wait for a McCain operative to see Obama eat a fish taco with some arugula on it. It'll be the Perfect Storm.

:pop:

olevetonahill
Not drunk. I had hand surgery & my typing is suffering like Barry without a teleprompter.

heh

Sooner02
9/10/2008, 04:34 PM
Kinda Funny 02 has been here since 03 But Has posted More in the last 2 weeks or so than at any other time.
Real funny ain't it?

SoonerBorn68
9/10/2008, 04:38 PM
All ya'll misunderstand. Scuba, again, I'm not a Republican. This is not going to go away. Obama isn't going to be able to explain it away. The damage has been done & it will re run in sound bytes forever.

I just think it's hilarious.

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 04:38 PM
Matt Damon cracks me up.
"I really need to know if she thinks dinosaurs lived here four thousand years ago. That's an important...I wanna know that, I really do. Because she's gonna have the nuclear codes." - Matt Damon

Funny chit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxkrm9uEJk

And, to be fair and balanced.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/09/10/johns.internet.rumors.cnn

olevetonahill
9/10/2008, 04:40 PM
Real funny ain't it?

Not really , No.

SoonerBorn68
9/10/2008, 04:42 PM
The only thing left is a pic of Obama riding in a tank...

bri
9/10/2008, 04:46 PM
This is not going to go away. Obama isn't going to be able to explain it away. The damage has been done & it will re run in sound bytes forever.

How do you explain away something that doesn't exist? The McCain camp and Fox News have tried to make it something it isn't, and they're doing a great job of it, but wishing that's what he meant doesn't make it the truth.

Now, if he had said "you can put lipstick on an unknown broad from Alaska, but her daughter's still knocked up"...okay. That would have been bad. :D

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 04:49 PM
Not drunk. I had hand surgery & my typing is suffering...Hope you recover swiftly.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/10/2008, 04:50 PM
Now, if he had said "you can put lipstick on an unknown broad from Alaska, but her daughter's still knocked up"...okay. That would have been bad. :D

Hell, if he said that I might just vote for him.

nah, not really.

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2008, 04:51 PM
Now, if he had said "you can put lipstick on an unknown broad from Alaska, but she's still a crappy mom. :DFixed.

Sooner02
9/10/2008, 04:52 PM
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26/OUSooner2002/geezer.jpg

r5TPsooner
9/10/2008, 04:56 PM

He talks a lot of smack for such a new member.

Jerk
9/10/2008, 04:58 PM
http://www.limestoneroof.com/images/obama_marxist.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
And to think, all of this could have been avoided if Obama had just said....."Polish a turd."

achiro
If McCain had been talking about Obama and said something about the pot calling the kettle black, would that be smart? Would the Obama campaign put out a "statement"?
Yes and Yes. Is this a big deal? Not really. Was it a stupid move on his part that shows his inexperience? Yep. Would the dims have done the same thing? Oh yeah.

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 05:11 PM
All ya'll misunderstand. Scuba, again, I'm not a Republican. This is not going to go away. Obama isn't going to be able to explain it away. The damage has been done & it will re run in sound bytes forever.

I'm delusional and I just think it's hilarious.

Viking Kitten
9/10/2008, 05:17 PM
Wait... are you calling Sarah Palin a sh*thead?

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 05:31 PM

Those are some scary good critical thinking skills.;)

47straight
9/10/2008, 05:46 PM
The cry babies are McBush/Pain who cannot handle politics so they cry over a generic metaphor and claim it's about their self-labeled "pitbull" candidate. That's how the game is played, right Rove lovers?

Blah blah blah blah blah ROVE blah blah blah.

Pathetic.

KC//CRIMSON
9/10/2008, 06:19 PM
Blah blah blah blah blah ROVE blah blah blah.

Pathetic.

Trying to play the gender card is pathetic.

47straight
9/10/2008, 06:38 PM
Trying to play the gender card is pathetic.

At least there is a woman involved with one of the campaigns.

leavingthezoo
9/10/2008, 06:39 PM
if you jokesters were half as offended by his "sexist" comment as you pretend to be you'd be wailing and gnashing your teeth over the McCain/**** avvie and all the crude comments being made by your extraordinarily, religiously moral, tongue draggin', can't touch it even if you vote for it, hormone laden and maturity betrayin' brothers in arms. or pervs. whichever. :P

Scott D
9/10/2008, 07:14 PM
Personally I'm waiting for the MSM to be all over the fact that Obama is Palin's daughter's babydaddy, and not the kid they're paying to appear to be her boyfriend.

bri
9/10/2008, 07:24 PM
And to think, all of this could have been avoided if Obama had just said....."Polish a turd."

BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN! SEXIST!!!

Animal Mother
9/11/2008, 06:01 PM

Well she married you!!!:D

def_lazer_fc
9/11/2008, 06:52 PM
people still say "oh no he didn't"?

texas bandman
9/12/2008, 01:07 AM
I'm so tired of the Repubs moral outrage, when they have no morals whatsoever. Rush and friends were so against John McCain, but now they bring on Palin who has views somewhat to the right of Bush, they jump on the bandwagon. Maybe it's because they know that McCain has 1 in 3 chance of dying in his first term. They know there's a likelihood they'll get "Bush with Boobs". Then they won't be so sexually confused when they get erotically aroused by the Bush policy. :D

9/12/2008, 01:14 AM
I'm so tired of the Repubs moral outrage, when they have no morals whatsoever. Rush and friends were so against John McCain, but now they bring on Palin who has views somewhat to the right of Bush, they jump on the bandwagon. Maybe it's because they know that McCain has 1 in 3 chance of dying in his first term. They know there's a likelihood they'll get "Bush with Boobs". Then they won't be so sexually confused when they get erotically aroused by the Bush policy. :DPerfect analysis, TB.