PDA

View Full Version : Dickie V.'s top 40

The Maestro
9/9/2008, 11:57 AM
Apparently, Mr. Hall of Fame has not gotten the memo on OU hoops.

27th? Big freaking deal, Dick!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=3544438&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos2

Civicus_Sooner
9/9/2008, 12:07 PM
I think it's a fair placement. Kansas is only 25th. I think we'll end up a sweet 16 team but we wont start the season as good as we'll finish it.

stoopified
9/9/2008, 12:47 PM
I thought that #7 is too high but IMHO #27 is way too low.I have no idea how Notre Dame,Gonzaga,Purdue,Arizona State,Davidson,Virginia Tech,Miami rank ahead of us.Move us up those seven spots and I think we are in the ballpark.Personally I think we should be #15-#18.

soonervegas
9/9/2008, 01:38 PM
Cool we play Dickie's 19th ranked team in the country the 2nd game of the year. I smell upset!!!

Collier11
9/9/2008, 01:51 PM
I thought that #7 is too high but IMHO #27 is way too low.I have no idea how Notre Dame,Gonzaga,Purdue,Arizona State,Davidson,Virginia Tech,Miami rank ahead of us.Move us up those seven spots and I think we are in the ballpark.Personally I think we should be #15-#18.

Gonzaga is loaded and are more of a natl bball name than Ou the past 5 yrs, Zona is always overrated, Purdue is really good, Davidson lost their PG but went to the elite 8 last yr, Va tech and Miami I have no idea

stoopified
9/9/2008, 04:08 PM
Gonzaga is loaded and are more of a natl bball name than Ou the past 5 yrs, Zona is always overrated, Purdue is really good, Davidson lost their PG but went to the elite 8 last yr, Va tech and Miami I have no ideaWe beat the Zags last year and what do the last 5 years have to do with this year?Davidson had a nice run but their history says that is an anomaly.

Add to this the fact that we return the bulk of last years team (especially Blake) AND we have proably the best recruiting class at OU in at least 10 years(including McD's A-A Willie Warren) and I feel we have more upside than the teams I listed.My biggest point is I don't see 26 teams being better than us.Where should we be picked in your opinion?

No trying to start a fight simply trying to find out where you think we stand going into the year.I've read your posts over the years and you seem to be fairly knowledgeable.I thought I was being conservative rating OU 15-18 considering all the TOP 10 talk I have been hearing in the media.

Collier11
9/9/2008, 04:20 PM
We beat the Zags last year and what do the last 5 years have to do with this year?Davidson had a nice run but their history says that is an anomaly.

Add to this the fact that we return the bulk of last years team (especially Blake) AND we have proably the best recruiting class at OU in at least 10 years(including McD's A-A Willie Warren) and I feel we have more upside than the teams I listed.My biggest point is I don't see 26 teams being better than us.Where should we be picked in your opinion?

No trying to start a fight simply trying to find out where you think we stand going into the year.I've read your posts over the years and you seem to be fairly knowledgeable.I thought I was being conservative rating OU 15-18 considering all the TOP 10 talk I have been hearing in the media.

I think I mislead with my post, I wasnt saying they should be ranked higher or we arent better than them, I was merely stating why they were ranked high.

As far as as OU, I think with the fact that we have an avg pg in AJ and an unproven fresh in Warren is why they might be holding us back, we should be preseason 8-15 IMHO...

OUmillenium
9/10/2008, 09:59 AM
Yep, 8-15, sounds about right to me...until our guard play proves that we are better or worse.

This could be a sweet, sweet year! I'll be going to some games fo sho. Can't believe I just said that. I'm a child of the 80s so "fer shur dude" is more like it...there...ahh

badger
9/10/2008, 10:23 AM
Rankings count less in basketball than any other sport. Take it with a grain of salt, not a grain of angst.

ousooners182
9/12/2008, 06:30 PM
Im not saying were going to go to the final four or elite eight but i believe that 27th is a little low..rivals had us at 7 a couple months back..

shaun4411
9/13/2008, 02:34 AM
frankly, ou hasnt done anything on the court to deserve to be ranked. dont get me wrong, i think theyre good enough and a couple games into the season will have earned a fair ranking. but until the product comes together, i dont see why we should get all "osu" about it-- and by that i mean, get hyped up all off season for all the potential. (except it'll be realized by ou whereas osu realizes disappointment after the hype). lets watch our boys gameplay do the smack talking.

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 05:29 AM
true true

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 05:30 AM
well i hope we dominate

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 05:32 AM
im ready for blake

stoopified
9/13/2008, 04:24 PM
frankly, ou hasnt done anything on the court to deserve to be ranked. dont get me wrong, i think theyre good enough and a couple games into the season will have earned a fair ranking. but until the product comes together, i dont see why we should get all "osu" about it-- and by that i mean, get hyped up all off season for all the potential. (except it'll be realized by ou whereas osu realizes disappointment after the hype). lets watch our boys gameplay do the smack talking.
Thats why I'm not all hyped about OUr preseason Top 10 ranking.I don't think AJ is a great pg but with two outside scoring threats in Crocker and Warren I think his assists will go up for two reasons; 1) Fewer missed shots on his passes,2)with the added scoring presence of WW AJ can concentrate on running the O.

IronHorseSooner
9/15/2008, 09:25 PM
Are we Duke? No. Are we Carolina? No. Are we Kansas? No. Are we in the Big East? No (and I'm an alum of a Big East school). Therefore, no Dickie V love for us. Sorry...But,see, that's the great thing about College Basketball. Ratings this time of year mean squat. Look, last year tOSU was in the finals for the Preseason NIT. What did they do? Jack Squat. Where were we? NOWHERE! We ended up in the tourney, they didn't. BTW, Blake is a better player than Hansbrough, and will be a better pro.