PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young on suicide watch.

Sooner24
9/9/2008, 11:40 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8540384?MSNHPHMA

He just needs a big hug and kiss from Mack to make it all better. :D

The Maestro
9/9/2008, 11:42 AM
I was just about to post this. While OU fans have the likes of Josh, Jason, Roy Williams, Tommie Harris and AD to look to for greatness, Texas has this clown as their football jesus and Ricky Williams.

Yes, bad and good apples on both sides, but their best players in the last ten years are clowns now. Our studs are model citizens and great at what they do.

htownsooner7
9/9/2008, 11:48 AM
I'm hesitant to post on this because I don't know how serious of a threat this is. I wouldn't mind hearing Lid or another resident whorn comment. This is a weird story.

badger
9/9/2008, 11:48 AM
HOW DARE YOU! SUICIDE IS NOT A JOKING MATTER! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

;) seriously though, don't make too many jokes on this. We don't want Texans committing suicide, they're people too.

Sooner24
9/9/2008, 11:50 AM
HOW DARE YOU! SUICIDE IS NOT A JOKING MATTER! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

The gun wasn't loaded. ;)

rainiersooner
Obligatory Vince Young photo in...one, two, three:

http://images.burntorangenation.com/images/admin/vinceou03.jpg

OUMallen
It is weird....clearly there's something up in Nashville...

califsooner
9/9/2008, 12:05 PM
Well, we know he's really never dealt with adversity that well and even talked about retirement last off-season. It just takes major maturity to be an NFL QB and he seems miles away from that. He's a kid who's always been babied and gets very frustrated when he doesn't do well. There has also been talk about him having some family issues as well that prompted his retirement talk. Still a serious matter for an NFL team to contact police in fear of his safety......which means they definitely have seen something in the past out of him to warrant such a call that was for sure gonna be leaked out. I know his injury on Sunday also played a factor and he's waiting on an MRI, but most likely is out 2-4 weeks as of right now.

cheezyq
9/9/2008, 12:45 PM
Um....so it's legal to carry/have in possession a gun....but not the ammunition? Sounds like a well-thought-out Tennessee law to me!

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 12:51 PM
Um....so it's legal to carry/have in possession a gun....but not the ammunition?

In a vehicle. Probably so you can transport firearms around without getting in trouble. It's the firearm equivalent of an open container law.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 12:54 PM
Hope he's OK. Seriously. Neg away...

...oh, wait.

ashley
9/9/2008, 12:56 PM
Lets be careful of what we post, this could be a very serious matter.

sooner_born_1960
9/9/2008, 12:59 PM
How did anyone know he had a gun in the glove box?

achiro
9/9/2008, 01:07 PM
Talking smack about another teams play is one thing, this is entirely another. Some of you really are morons that make the rest of us look really bad.

Boomer.....
9/9/2008, 01:13 PM
Um....so it's legal to carry/have in possession a gun....but not the ammunition? Sounds like a well-thought-out Tennessee law to me!

What is the purpose of carrying an unloaded gun? Just to scare people?

Jason White's Third Knee
9/9/2008, 01:14 PM
In a vehicle. Probably so you can transport firearms around without getting in trouble. It's the firearm equivalent of an open container law.

Makes hunting a bitch I'll bet. You'd need 2 cars... excuse me... trucks.

Anyway, not much good can come from this. Hope this is an over reaction.

SoonerTerry
9/9/2008, 01:20 PM
This thread is the king of all things fail..

TexasLidig8r
9/9/2008, 01:22 PM
As much as I have a man crush on Vince, he has not been able to adopt the mindset of "football is no longer a game... it is big business."

In the NFL, it's cut throat, there are many others looking to take your job...

redneck white trash fans for every team whose lifes are so miserable, their only solace is losing themselves every Sunday from September through the end of December, and take out their pathetic lifes on the players...

Vince has had adversity in his life before... if not for football, probably would have ended up a thug.

I think he needs to grow up quite a bit, realize that the game he loves is now a business he needs to learn to love.

Collier11
9/9/2008, 01:49 PM
I have been reading that this story is nothing more than him going for a peaceful ride to get away from everything, lets not speculate about someones well being...horn or not

califsooner
9/9/2008, 01:54 PM
I totally agree as well, and the gun part of the story is not even confirmed or really even an issue from what is already out there. The guy had a bad game, was playing hurt and got hurt again during the game.....and happens to be fragile at this point. Let it play out see what happens.

fossil
9/9/2008, 01:55 PM
:) I said this once in a San Antonio convenience store and got my arse jumped by some old grizzled Texas rancher for saying it, but I repeat it now;
"Vince Young would probably make a helluva wide receiver, but he will never pan out as an NFL quarterback because he is one demensional. Not only will he not make it to the NFL hall of fame (his words about himself), he won't even make it as a QB in the NFL."

I stand by that statement. The meltdown has begun. Vince can't hack it at QB and should be playing WR.

TexasLidig8r
9/9/2008, 02:10 PM
:) I said this once in a San Antonio convenience store and got my arse jumped by some old grizzled Texas rancher for saying it, but I repeat it now;
"Vince Young would probably make a helluva wide receiver, but he will never pan out as an [high school].. err... [college].. err.. [successful college].. err... NFL quarterback because he is one demensional. Not only will he not make it to the NFL hall of fame (his words about himself), he won't even make it as a QB in the NFL."

I stand by that statement. The meltdown has begun. Vince can't hack it at QB and should be playing WR.

We've been hearing that from people from when Vince was being recruited in high school.. hell...there's stories that Stoopsie offered him a scholly as a wide receiver....

if you want a quarterback to sit in the pocket all day and play pitch and catch.. you're correct. if you want a quarterback to make plays, use his legs, improvise and yes. .pass the ball, gear the offense to him.. oh. .and here's something else too..

MAYBE THE TITANS WILL FIGURE OUT THEY NEED SOME WIDE RECEIVERS! They have a bunch of spares named "herb" who would be lucky to land as the number 4 receiver on most NFL teams.

Collier11
9/9/2008, 02:26 PM
Name me one run first qb that has ever suceeded in the NFL...ZERO. That is why Vince is 0nly avg in the NFL, his passing is not even above avg

Remembering Tom Stidham
9/9/2008, 02:32 PM
I loved his play against USC. I was in Miami when they put it to us. And while I am a Sooner born and bred, I have known Mack Brown since he was on the staff at Iowa State. He is a quality man.

Boomer.....
9/9/2008, 02:36 PM
Name me one run first qb that has ever succeeded in the NFL...ZERO. That is why Vince is 0nly avg in the NFL, his passing is not even above avg

Would you say Vick never succeeded?

Collier11
9/9/2008, 02:47 PM
Would you say Vick never succeeded?

I would say that he was above avg but never great...he played great in the playoffs that one yr...his stats as a passer were modest

ashley
9/9/2008, 02:57 PM
I really believe there is a lot more to this story. Too much smoke not to be some fire.

tfoolry
9/9/2008, 02:58 PM
The gun wasn't loaded. ;)

I heard they found a flare gun in his locker. He has to sit in detention hall on Sat.

LSUdeek
9/9/2008, 03:04 PM
We've been hearing that from people from when Vince was being recruited in high school.. hell...there's stories that Stoopsie offered him a scholly as a wide receiver....

Saban offered him a scholarship at wide receiver as well. I think he ends up at LSU if not Texas.

Saban has these kids' NFL future in mind. That's why he switched Spears from TE to DE among other position changes that occurred.

if you want a quarterback to sit in the pocket all day and play pitch and catch.. you're correct. if you want a quarterback to make plays, use his legs, improvise and yes. .pass the ball, gear the offense to him.. oh. .and here's something else too..

Vince is a terribly inaccurate passer who doesn't have a proper throwing motion. He can make plays at times, but can't be consistent enough as a QB to win in the NFL, imo.

JLEW1818
9/9/2008, 03:42 PM
Saban offered him a scholarship at wide receiver as well. I think he ends up at LSU if not Texas.

Saban has these kids' NFL future in mind. That's why he switched Spears from TE to DE among other position changes that occurred.

Vince is a terribly inaccurate passer who doesn't have a proper throwing motion. He can make plays at times, but can't be consistent enough as a QB to win in the NFL, imo.

In the end Vince was stuck between Texas and Miami.

stoopified
9/9/2008, 03:42 PM
"Vince Young would probably make a helluva wide receiver, but he will never pan out as an NFL quarterback because he is one demensional. Not only will he not make it to the NFL hall of fame (his words about himself), he won't even make it as a QB in the NFL."

I stand by that statement. The meltdown has begun. Vince can't hack it at QB and should be playing WR.True dat.This ain't college or highschool where you can be a great QB on limited passing ability and great athletic ability.To be an NFL qb you have to be able to read the D,pass well,amke sound decisions and protect the ball.22 TDs and 33 INTS is not going to cut it.VY is agreat athlete but not an NFL QB,my only question is how long do the Titans keep banging their heads against the inevitable.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 03:44 PM
In the end Vince was stuck between Texas and Miami.
Like I said, I wish him well, but that quote above says it all.

JLEW1818
9/9/2008, 03:48 PM
Like I said, I wish him well, but that quote above says it all.

Oh me two. I'm just verifying that recruiting wise his final two choices were between Texas and Miami.

badger
9/9/2008, 03:50 PM
As much as I have a man crush on Vince, he has not been able to adopt the mindset of "football is no longer a game... it is big business."
We have men with man-crushes over here too, but at least you're man enough to admit the man-crush.

To the point of stealing expensive pro bowler bags as the door hits you on your way out, yes.

redneck white trash fans for every team whose lifes are so miserable, their only solace is losing themselves every Sunday from September through the end of December, and take out their pathetic lifes on the players...

Which bothers me like hell and it has ever since the first time I heard Packer fans booing. There was the kicker that kept missing field goals (he was so upset at the fan's reaction that he kicked himself into a severe season ending injury the next practice), the punter that couldn't punt far enough (turned out he had cancer) and countless other examples I've seen on other teams. Yes, I know they're making millions are we're not, but they only make millions for an average of less than three years and have lifelong injuries to show for efforts... and the league minimum guys don't make close to a million!

It was especially bothersome when I heard some never-has-been-wanna-be guys in the stands booing the hell outta one former OU quarterback that was obviously trying very hard to do everything and not always succeeding. To quote Gundy: "Don't bedowngrade him for doing all the right things if he doesn't perform as well on Saturday" ... or something like that. We've all heard the speech.

Vince has had adversity in his life before... if not for football, probably would have ended up a thug.

I think he needs to grow up quite a bit, realize that the game he loves is now a business he needs to learn to love.
If Mack ever wanted to keep players around at Texas more than three years, this should be the argument used. It's not just the "No Fun League" because they flag you for impersonating Jamaican sprinters after touchdowns. The college sport is far more forgiving, even if it isn't as lucrative.

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 03:55 PM
I would say that he was above avg but never great...he played great in the playoffs that one yr...his stats as a passer were modest

You changed your mind as soon as someone gave you a name.

Vick is/was a Franchise Player.

If that's not success then I don't know what is.

If you want to state success as being a HOF player...then do that.

The game changes...the rules change too. The NFL makes changes to keep the game interesting to it's Fans and to make huge amounts of dough.

Success of a player is an afterthought in the NFL.

Success of the Team is numero uno.

The HOF is a great honor and IMO is for great players...not successful players.

Young may never be successful....Vick was IMO.

You might even say Young is a Franchise Player too...but he's not successful.

Just sayin'

badger
9/9/2008, 03:58 PM
Oh, and for the record... I have disliked Vick ever since the playoffs a few years ago and I laughed when he was convicted of dog fighting. Does that make me a bad person to laugh when another's person's chickens come home to roost?

47straight
9/9/2008, 04:00 PM
1) Stupid Titans, stupid media. The guy was down as anyone would be, and he went to his buddy's house to veg out and munch down. Left his phone so he could relax and not be bothered.

In other words, pretty much exactly what I would have done.

2) Now I have to get my licks in. Vince was delusional from day 1 at his presser about jumping to the NFL when he said he thought it would "be like a big family." No, man. It's cold. cold, cold business, worse than almost any other profession.

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 04:02 PM
Oh, and for the record... I have disliked Vick ever since the playoffs a few years ago and I laughed when he was convicted of dog fighting. Does that make me a bad person to laugh when another's person's chickens come home to roost?

Not in my book.

He has nearly ruined his life...and maybe even completely.

StoopTroup
9/9/2008, 04:03 PM
2) Now I have to get my licks in. Vince was delusional from day 1 at his presser about jumping to the NFL when he said he thought it would "be like a big family." No, man. It's cold. cold, cold business, worse than almost any other profession.

Exactly.

Good Post...

Also...

Heh

badger
9/9/2008, 04:05 PM
Not in my book.

He has nearly ruined his life...and maybe even completely.

He will get a second chance... hey, notice how all his defenders who were saying he was innocent and stuff suddenly changed their tune to "Everyone deserves a second chance" when it was found out that he was undeniably guilty?

He put his trust in the wrong people. Friends give and take, these people were takers, not givers and takers. Thus, it was in their nature to continue taking when offered something - a lesser sentence to bury Michael Vick further. In that sense, I feel sympathetic toward him. In all other senses, chickens and roosting and stuff.

cheezyq
9/9/2008, 04:09 PM
Name me one run first qb that has ever suceeded in the NFL...ZERO. That is why Vince is 0nly avg in the NFL, his passing is not even above avg

Doug Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb....they were all guys that were considered to be "run-first", all got to a SB, which is a pretty good definition of success.

They may not all win the Superbowl, but neither did Dan Marino or Jim Kelly, and John Elway almost finished his career without doing so. Plus, considering the ratio of running QBs to passing QBs, you shouldn't expect that number to get much higher.

The NFL consistently goes after athletic QBs because it's rare to find a talent that has the ability to make plays with his legs, but is also good enough to complete some passes. VY may not be a good passer, but he's not much worse than some of the other "passing" QBs out there. Just like the guys above, they can get by on their athleticism to compensate for their lack of passing prowess. And it's just a matter of time before someone with that skillset comes along and wins a few SB games as well.

Not that I'm a VY fan by any means, but the stigma about running QBs is pretty bogus in my opinion.

TexasLidig8r
9/9/2008, 04:09 PM
1) Stupid Titans, stupid media. The guy was down as anyone would be, and he went to his buddy's house to veg out and munch down. Left his phone so he could relax and not be bothered.

In other words, pretty much exactly what I would have done.

Almost as bad as being... an attorney. ;)

Good post 47.

The Maestro
9/9/2008, 04:11 PM

For all those that thought ragging on Vince was in poor taste, read our resident horn fans post above.

Well said, Lid.

I mean, poor Vince. He gets to make millions to play a game for a living and it isn't turning out exactly as planned. Two words for VY...

PAT

TILLMAN

Grow up, sack up, man up...that's the bottom line. He is throwing a fit and needs to get past himself and realize how fortunate he is.

badger
9/9/2008, 04:15 PM
Is it just me, or does this transition seem to be a problem at one certain university... of... Texas?

cheezyq
9/9/2008, 04:17 PM
Is it just me, or does this transition seem to be a problem at one certain university... of... Texas?

That's cause the NFL screens players for the green stuff, ruining the traditional coping mechanism for former UT players.

;)

Collier11
9/9/2008, 04:18 PM
Doug Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb....they were all guys that were considered to be "run-first", all got to a SB, which is a pretty good definition of success.

They may not all win the Superbowl, but neither did Dan Marino or Jim Kelly, and John Elway almost finished his career without doing so. Plus, considering the ratio of running QBs to passing QBs, you shouldn't expect that number to get much higher.

The NFL consistently goes after athletic QBs because it's rare to find a talent that has the ability to make plays with his legs, but is also good enough to complete some passes. VY may not be a good passer, but he's not much worse than some of the other "passing" QBs out there. Just like the guys above, they can get by on their athleticism to compensate for their lack of passing prowess. And it's just a matter of time before someone with that skillset comes along and wins a few SB games as well.

Not that I'm a VY fan by any means, but the stigma about running QBs is pretty bogus in my opinion.

Those qbs were all considered well above average passers unlike vince who has always considered a below avg passer...also, I dont think Mcnair, Johnson, or Mcnabb were ever considered run first...look at their passing stats in college as well as in the NFL

badger
9/9/2008, 04:18 PM
That's cause the NFL screens players for the green stuff, ruining the traditional coping mechanism for former UT players.

;)

Meh, that goes on everywhere. Now... what goes on in Austin that doesn't go on elsewhere? Perhaps they really should stop trying to keep Austin weird.

humblesooner
9/9/2008, 04:24 PM

Doug Williams???

cheezyq
9/9/2008, 04:30 PM
Those qbs were all considered well above average passers unlike vince who has always considered a below avg passer...also, I dont think Mcnair, Johnson, or Mcnabb were ever considered run first...look at their passing stats in college as well as in the NFL

I'm not saying VY is a good passer, or even defending him, really. I just think the "no run-first QB has been successful" mantra is based on false logic. For one, to find an athletic, fast player who has enough skills to be even considered at QB is rare enough that you can't compare straight across against "passing" QBs. That throws off the curve tremendously. In fact, if you were to look at it historically, you would probably find that the ratio of successful-to-unsuccessful running QBs is probably more favorable than that of passing QBs. The only problem with running QBs is their tendency to be injured frequently.

McNair and McNabb were both considered run-first QBs coming out of college. But like Cunningham, they improved their passing skills to a certain extent, and learned how best to use their running skills to accentuate the passing game. McNabb in particular was just a plain terrible passer coming out of college, almost solely relying upon his running skills. But he has improved tremendously in his passing ability, and uses the run effectively to make plays at the right time.

cheezyq
9/9/2008, 04:31 PM
Doug Williams???

LOL, yeah. Was reading an article about Ocho Cinco/Johnson, and must have just brainfarted.

The_Red_Patriot
9/9/2008, 04:31 PM
Has Hornfans.com imploded yet?

JLEW1818
9/9/2008, 04:51 PM
Doug Williams???

Last African American to win a Superbowl also.

47straight
9/9/2008, 05:00 PM
Almost as bad as being... an attorney. ;)

Ha! I thought of the same comparison when I wrote that. I think the NFL is far more vicious. Limited number of slots on 32 teams means that for everyone making 450k a year someone else has to leave and go work for a living.

For lawyers, there's always someone else to sue, and someone else getting sued. :)

Collier11
9/9/2008, 05:14 PM

McNair and McNabb were both considered run-first QBs coming out of college. But like Cunningham, they improved their passing skills to a certain extent, and learned how best to use their running skills to accentuate the passing game. McNabb in particular was just a plain terrible passer coming out of college, almost solely relying upon his running skills. But he has improved tremendously in his passing ability, and uses the run effectively to make plays at the right time.

Not true

Mcnabb

Big East records

1st - touchdown passes (77)
1st - touchdowns responsible for (96)
1st - passing yards (8,389)
1st - total offensive yards (9,950)
1st - total offensive plays (1,403)

Syracuse University records

1st - total yards per game (221.1)
1st - passing efficiency (155.1)
1st - yards per attempt (9.1)

he only ran for 438 yds his final year in college

Mcnair

College passing stats

4,863 yards with 44 touchdowns his senior year 936 yds rushing
If anything he was fairly consistent at both but a great passer

Doug Williams

He was an average passer and a decent runner who ended up with a Great SB performance passing.. He never ran for more than 370yds in the NFL and only had 800+ career rushing yds and over 16k passing yds

Randall Cunningham

Was the best running qb in NFL history until Vick but still had a career of over 200 passing tds and nearly 30000 yds passing and was a good passing qb in college, throwing for over 2500 yds three years in a row, back then this was rare as elway and Flutie were the only other qbs to do that at that time

I would say that the argument is not a good one on either side cus many could look at stats and say Vince was a good passer in college...the fact is that most of these qbs who are primary runners in college dont have great NFL careers

shaun4411
9/9/2008, 05:23 PM
they could sign jeff george

Sooner24
9/9/2008, 05:24 PM
I totally agree as well, and the gun part of the story is not even confirmed or really even an issue from what is already out there. The guy had a bad game, was playing hurt and got hurt again during the game.....and happens to be fragile at this point. Let it play out see what happens.

"Ultimately, it appears the initial concerns about his emotional state were unfounded," Aaron said Tuesday. "But no one actually knew that until he was spoken to face to face."

Young left his home around 7 p.m. Monday without a phone, prompting the Titans to call Nashville police for help. The team got a message to Young through a friend, and the quarterback met with coach Jeff Fisher and police at team headquarters around 11:30 p.m. Police spokesman Don Aaron said Young drove himself home about 30 minutes later.

Aaron also said Young had an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his car. Tennessee law permits unloaded firearms in vehicles as long as no ammunition is present.

Sounds like it's pretty confirmed to me.

I really didn't mean to make lite of a serious situation but it all appeared to be a whole lot of nothing to me.

Civicus_Sooner
9/9/2008, 05:27 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8540384?MSNHPHMA

He just needs a big hug and kiss from Mack to make it all better. :Dheh,
Young's agent said Tuesday afternoon there was no need for concern because the quarterback was at a friend's house watching football and eating chicken

The Maestro
9/9/2008, 05:28 PM

David Tyree, Plaxico Burress, Michael Strahan and many others would disagree with you!

Or maybe you forgot the word "quarterback".

Breadburner
they could sign jeff george

O chit...lol.

shaun4411

the NFL has no record of any Africans playing on any team

JLEW1818
9/9/2008, 05:44 PM
David Tyree, Plaxico Burress, Michael Strahan and many others would disagree with you!

Or maybe you forgot the word "quarterback".

Well that is what we were talking about, "quarterbacks." So maybe you should use some common sense.

Civicus_Sooner
9/9/2008, 05:45 PM
Randall Cunningham

Was the best running qb in NFL history until Vick but still had a career of over 200 passing tds and nearly 30000 yds passing and was a good passing qb in college, throwing for over 2500 yds three years in a row, back then this was rare as elway and Flutie were the only other qbs to do that at that time

The best running QB in NFL is Steve Young.

He had 4,239 rushing yards and 43 rushing touchdowns. Also had 33,124 passing yards and 232 TD passes.

He also lead all QB's in rushing and passing yards for 4 straight years with Cunningham playing at the time too.

He could easily and objectively be counted as the best QB in NFL history.

JLEW1818
9/9/2008, 05:47 PM
the NFL has no record of any Africans playing on any team

Did I say African? No I said African Americans. DERRR

bluedogok
9/9/2008, 05:50 PM
I do believe that Christian Okoye was an African born player..

Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame - Christian Okoye - 2000 (http://www.kcchiefs.com/hall_of_fame/christian_okoye/)
Born August 16, 1961 in Enugu, Nigeria

Collier11
9/9/2008, 05:57 PM
The best running QB in NFL is Steve Young.

He had 4,239 rushing yards and 43 rushing touchdowns. Also had 33,124 passing yards and 232 TD passes.

He also lead all QB's in rushing and passing yards for 4 straight years with Cunningham playing at the time too.

He could easily and objectively be counted as the best QB in NFL history.

I agree for the most part although I would put Young in the top 7 or 8 but nowhere near top 1 or 2

Jacie
9/9/2008, 05:58 PM
For the record and this is year-old data:

For the 2007 season, minimum salaries in the NFL are:

Rookies - $285,000
One Year Veteran - $360,000
Two Year Veteran - $435,000
Three Year Veteran - $510,000
Four to Six Year Veteran - $595,000
Seven to Nine Year Veteran - $720,000
Ten+ Year Veteran - $820,000

Source: wiki.answers.com

Also from wiki:

Number of Players on an NFL Team

An NFL team is allowed 53 players, not including those on the practice squad or those on injured reserve.

During the regular season, teams are allowed to carry 53 players on their active roster and are also allowed to maintain an eight-man practice squad (although, a few teams have a ninth "national player" allocated to their practice squad from the now defunct NFL Europe).

However, at the end of the season, teams are allowed to start adding to their "Reserve/Future" lists. These are players that will not count on the active roster immediately, but at the end of the playoffs they become part of the active roster.

During the offseason, no team is allowed to have more than 80 players on their active roster.

After the third preseason weekend, rosters are required to be 65 players or below. And after the fourth and final preseason weekend, all NFL teams are required to have an active roster of no more than 53 players.

There is also a stipulation that a team may only carry 45 players on its game day roster, so the team must decide each week on which 8 players will be inactive, or 7 if they carry a 3rd QB.

Collier11
9/9/2008, 05:59 PM
For the record and this is year-old data:

For the 2007 season, minimum salaries in the NFL are:

Rookies - $285,000
One Year Veteran - $360,000
Two Year Veteran - $435,000
Three Year Veteran - $510,000
Four to Six Year Veteran - $595,000
Seven to Nine Year Veteran - $720,000
Ten+ Year Veteran - $820,000

Source: wiki.answers.com

Also from wiki:

Number of Players on an NFL Team

An NFL team is allowed 53 players, not including those on the practice squad or those on injured reserve.

During the regular season, teams are allowed to carry 53 players on their active roster and are also allowed to maintain an eight-man practice squad (although, a few teams have a ninth "national player" allocated to their practice squad from the now defunct NFL Europe).

However, at the end of the season, teams are allowed to start adding to their "Reserve/Future" lists. These are players that will not count on the active roster immediately, but at the end of the playoffs they become part of the active roster.

During the offseason, no team is allowed to have more than 80 players on their active roster.

After the third preseason weekend, rosters are required to be 65 players or below. And after the fourth and final preseason weekend, all NFL teams are required to have an active roster of no more than 53 players.

There is also a stipulation that a team may only carry 45 players on its game day roster, so the team must decide each week on which 8 players will be inactive, or 7 if they carry a 3rd QB.

huh?

Civicus_Sooner
9/9/2008, 06:11 PM
I agree for the most part although I would put Young in the top 7 or 8 but nowhere near top 1 or 2Well, if you go by talent alone, he could easily be there. It is too bad that he had to sit on the bench for so long while Montana was the starter.

Truthfully, Montana is the greatest by most people's standards (4 Super Bowl wins 0 SB losses) and huge passing stats.

I think Young doesn't get the credit he's due because he followed Joe and by the time he was the starter he only had about 5 or 6 good years left in him.

Civicus_Sooner
9/9/2008, 06:12 PM
Also, Vince Young is by far the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Collier11
9/9/2008, 07:10 PM
Well, if you go by talent alone, he could easily be there. It is too bad that he had to sit on the bench for so long while Montana was the starter.

Truthfully, Montana is the greatest by most people's standards (4 Super Bowl wins 0 SB losses) and huge passing stats.

I think Young doesn't get the credit he's due because he followed Joe and by the time he was the starter he only had about 5 or 6 good years left in him.

I think Young is underrated and Namath is wayyyy overrated

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2008, 07:14 PM
I think Young is underrated and Namath is wayyyy overrated

I agree; Namath's entire greatness is based on 1 game; the rest of his career he is average

Big Red Ron
9/9/2008, 07:41 PM
Also, Vince Young is by far the worst starting QB in the NFL. Geez, got anymore earth shattering inside information? ;)

:D

IronSooner
9/9/2008, 07:59 PM
Also, Vince Young is by far the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Tarvaris Jackson might have a thing or two to say about that

Big Red Ron
9/9/2008, 08:08 PM
Tarvaris Jackson might have a thing or two to say about that
He is bad but he doesn't make near the money Vince does either. I think a cost benefit analysis would beat out that Vince is the biggest wast of time and money at QB.

Charla
9/9/2008, 08:09 PM
Are Steve young and Vince brothers cuz they both suck. I think John Unitis was the greatest, and the older I get the better he was. How are those Faggy Niners lookin' now

Big Red Ron
9/9/2008, 08:15 PM
Are Steve young and Vince brothers cuz they both suck. I think John Unitis was the greatest, and the older I get the better he was. How are those Faggy Niners lookin' now
That might be the dumbest statement ever made on this board and that's saying something. The Niners are rebuilding. If Alex Smith hadn't have been the only QB worth drafting when they had a really good draft pick, they'd be very good right now. They have a sold D a top flight tailback, really good corners and some good receivers.

Of course they could have sold their soul to every thug in the NFL like Dallas for a playoff run but the didn't.

Unitis isn't near as good as either Montana or Young.

A Sooner in Texas
9/9/2008, 08:21 PM
Ok, if we still had spek I'd expect to get some of the neg color but here's my opinion:

VY was a terrific college QB, but whorn fans - and who knows, maybe his coaches as well - have screamed for years that he is THE GREATEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER EVAR!!!!!!!! It's gotta be hard to go from being worshipped as the second coming to flaming out in the NFL.
I wish VY well. But he needs to realize that life ain't easy anywhere.

Collier11
9/9/2008, 08:31 PM
VY is not the greatest college qb evar despite what some idiots say, he had one of the greatest seasons evar for a QB but his overall career wasnt Great, only really good...Leinart is a far better college qb than VY

Big Red Ron
9/9/2008, 08:34 PM
Ok, if we still had spek I'd expect to get some of the neg color but here's my opinion:

VY was a terrific college QB, but whorn fans - and who knows, maybe his coaches as well - have screamed for years that he is THE GREATEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER EVAR!!!!!!!! It's gotta be hard to go from being worshipped as the second coming to flaming out in the NFL.
I wish VY well. But he needs to realize that life ain't easy anywhere.Nobody would have negged you for that opinion. Nobody outside of UT football program has ever said VY was the greatest college football player evar. I'd agree that he had one of the greatest individual performances in the Rose bowl's history though.

Charla
9/9/2008, 08:56 PM
Niners are rebuildin what ? Gay Pride. Big Red Ron maybe you ought to get ahold of T- Boner and maybe he could do for the FaggyNiners all that he has done for OSUX as they are always rebuilding. Have you ever considered stand up comedy ? All of Steve Young's greatest runs ended with concussions.

Big Red Ron
9/9/2008, 09:16 PM
Niners are rebuildin what ? Gay Pride. Big Red Ron maybe you ought to get ahold of T- Boner and maybe he could do for the FaggyNiners all that he has done for OSUX as they are always rebuilding. Have you ever considered stand up comedy ? All of Steve Young's greatest runs ended with concussions.
Yeah, that's why he was league MVP, Super Bowl MVP and lead all QB's in rushing and passing yards for 4 years straight.

How the pokes entered this conversation is a testament to your comprehension skills.

Collier11
9/9/2008, 09:27 PM

Crap like this is why you need spek :rolleyes:

Breadburner
9/9/2008, 09:34 PM
I never met a Charla that had even half of a brain.....

Big Red Ron
9/9/2008, 09:39 PM
Crap like this is why you need spek :rolleyes:
werd

A Sooner in Texas
9/9/2008, 09:47 PM

Just when you thought this thread couldnt get weirder.....

(sigh) I miss spek.

IronSooner
9/9/2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks Charla. I was hoping to save those IQ points for a rainy day...so much for that

Leroy Lizard
9/10/2008, 01:11 AM
Remember when Horn fans attached Norm Chow for making the statement that VY tended to pout? Looks like Chow wasn't far off the mark.

Refusing to go into a game is about as bad an attitude a player can display.

SoonerKnight
9/10/2008, 01:36 AM
He's whore (sp) I mean whorn oops.......anyway he was used to being caudled maybe they can fly mack down there to clap and cheer him on maybe that would make him feel better............

Ground_Attack
9/10/2008, 04:47 AM

Are you retarded? Seriously...

Hey Big Red Ron, I think the 2nd post is even dumbed than the first.

StoopTroup
9/10/2008, 04:54 AM
I hate the Niners as much as anyone but Steve Young was a great QB.

He built on what Montana left before heading to KC and Steve never let the Franchise slip into the depths that it has as of the last few years. Of course...he got a lot of help from a guy named Jerry Rice.