PDA

View Full Version : Best debut Rock Album?

sooneron
9/9/2008, 07:26 AM
What are your thoughts?

I started wondering this as I was driving this AM and Break On Through came on. That was one bad *** first album by The Doors that didn't really sound like much that was out there at the time. Not saying that it gets my vote, but it got me to thinking.

yermom
9/9/2008, 08:05 AM
i'm pretty partial to Appetite and Ten

sooneron
9/9/2008, 08:11 AM
Interesting, those two didn't cross my mind. I think I was starting too far back in the old days. The Clash's debut was friggin good.

OUDoc
9/9/2008, 08:15 AM
Boston.

SoonerStormchaser
9/9/2008, 08:15 AM
Appetite For Destruction
Back In Black (if you wanna count it for the Brian Johnson factor)

sooneron
9/9/2008, 08:18 AM
Back In Black (if you wanna count it for the Brian Johnson factor)

Uh.... no

SoonerStormchaser
9/9/2008, 08:20 AM
just sayin...some people might (I don't)

Most bands save their kickass **** for their sophomore albums

sooneron
9/9/2008, 08:23 AM

Please name one. There's a reason why sophomore and idiot are synonymous.

yermom
9/9/2008, 08:28 AM
i'd like to hear this as well :D

the first album is generally based on a lot of crap people have been working on for a long time. then once it kicks *** they are put under pressure to do it again under time constraints.

Harry Beanbag
9/9/2008, 08:37 AM
August and Everything After

:)

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 08:38 AM
Are You Experienced?

Led Zeppelin I

B-52s (Don't Laugh - before he died John Lennon said it was his favorite album ever)

Velvet Underground & Nico

The Cars

Those belong at the top of the list somewhere. I'm just not sure where.

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 08:41 AM
i could live with a list that had the Doors at #1. just some others:

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band: Safe as Milk (another Lennon fave).

The Stooges: The Stooges

Harry Beanbag
9/9/2008, 08:43 AM
i could live with a list that had the Doors at #1. just some others:

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band: Safe as Milk (another Lennon fave).

The Stooges: The Stooges

If you're talking about the best, shouldn't the majority of people have actually heard of them?

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 08:44 AM
There's prolly some people here scratching their head at my inclusion of The Cars. Well, you people can suck it.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 08:45 AM
If you're talking about the best, shouldn't the majority of people have actually heard of them?
Dude, if you haven't heard of The Doors, we can't help you. :D

yermom
9/9/2008, 08:47 AM
There's prolly some people here scratching their head at my inclusion of The Cars. Well, you people can suck it.

which reminds me, the Weezer Blue Album is pretty flippin' sweet

Sooner04
9/9/2008, 08:54 AM
Weezer's Blue album is outstanding. One of the very favorites of my youth. They haven't put out anything worthwhile since.

The Toadies - Rubberneck: absolutely awesome album. Those guys got rich and, well, good night. It's one you might not remember, but it was pretty good.

Zeppelin I was a pretty good blues album. I have a hard time calling it R-n-R. Now, Zeppelin II is balls-to-the-wall rock and roll. I can listen to that album all the way through and there's not a weak link in the bunch.

I hate Boston, but their debut was great. I can't imagine how wild it must've been to put the Doors in for the first time. Little medication here and there, plug that it, HOLY COW!

Back in Black? Get the **** out of here with that ****.

SoonerProphet
9/9/2008, 09:08 AM
I thought Gish was a great debut, everything after that has sucked.

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 09:10 AM
Appetite for Destruction

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:13 AM
I totally concur on Gish, except I also loved Siamese Dream. Sorry. I agree about everything after that sucking.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:15 AM
Bleach was also a great debut. 10, in retrospect, not as great a debut album as I believed it to be at the time. Sorry, yermom.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:17 AM
And I'm going to add Nothing's Shocking to the list.

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 09:20 AM
that live, self-titled Jane's Addiction record was pretty mighty....i guess that's a debut.

the Band: Music from Big Pink.

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 09:20 AM
dang jed, i didn't even read yer post.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah, the Jane's Addiction live disc is probably really their debut, since it was widely heard before Nothing's Shocking was released.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/9/2008, 09:25 AM
Van Halen
Fresh Cream
The Clash

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 09:26 AM
prolly have to t'row a bone:

U2: Boy

VH is a good one. spek.

edit: are you experienced?

BigRedJed
Fresh Cream. Good call.

yermom
Bleach was also a great debut. 10, in retrospect, not as great a debut album as I believed it to be at the time. Sorry, yermom.

i don't think i asked you :mad:

i like Bleach, but i don't know how much non-Nirvana fans would like it

i think Nirvana really needed Dave Grohl to be awesome

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/9/2008, 09:28 AM
The Who Sings My Generation

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/9/2008, 09:29 AM
Kick Out The Jams
The Pretenders
Kill 'Em All

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:30 AM
I guess Clapton can get multiple debut album credit? If so, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs definitely should be on the list. Perhaps even AHEAD of Fresh Cream.

Also, I'm throwing Santana into the discussion.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:30 AM
The Pretenders. YES!

Sooner04
9/9/2008, 09:31 AM
the Band: Music from Big Pink.
Has it ever fully been decided in regards to whether it's "Take a load off, Fannie" or "Take a load off, Annie"? That question has haunted me for years. Great album, though.

Van Halen is a monster album. "I'm your ice cream man, stop me as I'm passing by....." might be my favorite line in music history except for maybe "Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover."

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/9/2008, 09:35 AM
Mr. Fantasy

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:35 AM
All of these are worthy suggestions. But so far, I have to go with Are You Experienced? as number one. I can't even COMPREHEND what it must have been like to smoke one and put that on the hi-fi for the first time back in '67.

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 09:36 AM
Van Halen
Ten
Appetite
Kill Em All
KISS

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/9/2008, 09:37 AM
Mr. Tambourine Man

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:37 AM
KISS? KISS? KISS??!??!

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/9/2008, 09:38 AM
Vincebus Eruptum

BigRedJed
Don't get me wrong, I love some KISS. But it fits into an entirely different part of my brain that the part that loves great music.

BlondeSoonerGirl
Ooh!

Texas Flood.

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 09:46 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love some KISS. But it fits into an entirely different part of my brain that the part that loves great music.

5 Classics on one record alone:

1. Strutter
2. Nothin' To Lose
3. Firehouse
4. Cold Gin
5. Let Me Know
6. Kissin' Time
7. Deuce
8. Love Them From Kiss
9. 100,000 Years
10. Black Diamond

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 09:52 AM
Montrose

I fully expect a Genesis and/or Huey Lewis analysis soon.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 09:59 AM
Classics? Classic KISS songs, I agree. But classic by no other measure that I can think of.

Sooner04
9/9/2008, 10:01 AM
5 Classics on one record alone:

1. Strutter
2. Nothin' To Lose
3. Firehouse
4. Cold Gin
5. Let Me Know
6. Kissin' Time
7. Deuce
8. Love Them From Kiss
9. 100,000 Years
10. Black Diamond
I like rock and roll, and I've never heard of a single song on that album. When your best contribution to the world is Beth you can't expect to be included with this group.

Texas Flood belongs, but is it rock and roll? SRV was a one-man guitar symphony, but I classify him as a bluesman.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/9/2008, 10:06 AM
Dreamboat Annie
Queen
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

SoonerInKCMO
9/9/2008, 10:13 AM
I like rock and roll, and I've never heard of a single song on that album.

Srsly?? All five of the ones he highlighted are on their 'Alive' album; 'Deuce' is on 'Alive III'; all but 'Cold Gin' are on 'Alive IV'; they're on numerous 'Best Of' type albums.

:les: WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!!? ;)

SoonerInKCMO
9/9/2008, 10:14 AM

i'd like to hear this as well :D

:les: Y'ALL EVER HEAR OF A LITTLE ALBUM CALLED 'PYROMANIA'?!?!?!

SoonerInKCMO
9/9/2008, 10:17 AM
:les: Y'ALL EVER HEAR OF A LITTLE ALBUM CALLED 'PYROMANIA'?!?!?!

Also, W.A.S.P's 'The Last Command'.

;)

Beef
9/9/2008, 10:17 AM
Another vote for Kill 'Em All. And Are You Experienced?. Insanely intense albums.

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 10:19 AM
Big Star: #1 Record

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 10:19 AM
Pyromania was Def Leppard's 3rd record, High N Dry was their 2nd.

Best sophomore record has to be Nevermind.

And Beth is arguably the worst KISS song....if you are a KISS fan.

r5TPsooner
9/9/2008, 10:20 AM

Shout At The Devil by Motley Crue. As a huge fan, that album is still the benchmark that all of their other albums are compared to. As a matter of fact, it's better than Dr. Feelgood which went #1.

Heck, I still crank Shout quite a bit as IMO it was there best album of all time.

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 10:21 AM
Shout At The Devil by Motley Crue. As a huge fan, that album is still the benchmark that all of their other albums are compared to. As a matter of fact, it's better than Dr. Feelgood which went #1.

Heck, I still crank Shout quite a bit as IMO it was there best album of all time.

too fast for love is the Crue debut.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 10:22 AM
Crueowned.

r5TPsooner
9/9/2008, 10:22 AM
too fast for love is the Crue debut.

We're talking sophomore album here. That's why I brought Ron's quote into the post.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 10:23 AM
:les: TIMING RUINER!!

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 10:23 AM
We're talking sophomore album here. That's why I brought Ron's quote into the post.

i guess i missed the switch.

r5TPsooner
9/9/2008, 10:24 AM
i guess i missed the switch.

There never was one to my knowledge.

I know my Crue discology... trust me.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 10:26 AM
Oh, I missed the post with the quote. r5TP was talking sophomore, KC.

crawfish
9/9/2008, 10:27 AM
Van Halen
Appetite for Destruction
Boston
The Cars

All went on to have monstrous careers, but none ever outdid their first album.

SoonerInKCMO
9/9/2008, 10:29 AM
Pyromania was Def Leppard's 3rd record, High N Dry was their 2nd.

Dammit! :mad: I forgot about 'On Through The Night'.

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 10:30 AM
my bad.

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 10:31 AM
I almost put Shout next to Nevermind in my post. I didn't because I like Too Fast for Love too much, but it is THE STANDARD for 80's rock, IMO.

"It" being Shout of course...and "rock" being hard rock, which would exclude Metallica's Puppets in 1986 as heavy metal.

soonerscuba
9/9/2008, 10:31 AM
IMO, Pinkerton > Blue Album.

King Crimson
9/9/2008, 10:33 AM
Elvis Costello: my aim is true

i've said it many times but Shout has a much better version of Helter Skelter than Rattle and Hum.

Pieces Hit
9/9/2008, 10:35 AM
Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?

Black Sabbath

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen

(eh, that'll do but "Boston" was pretty cool too)

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 10:37 AM
Other additions:

Marcy Playground
Pablo Honey

SteelCitySooner
9/9/2008, 10:40 AM
Appetite. BTW anybody read that new book on GnR by Stephen Davis...Watch you Bleed? Pretty good read...them boy's were crazy..

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 10:46 AM
Black Sabbath was good, but Paranoid is THE Sabbath album to most people and probably should rank as high as Nevermind for sophomore albums.

Animal Mother
9/9/2008, 11:04 AM
Living Colour - Vivid

My ears still ring from the first time I played it.

Pieces Hit
9/9/2008, 11:06 AM
True dat but I thought the Sabbath album deserved a mention.
They changed the way we bang our heads.

No one mentioned Carrie Underwood either.
Heh.

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 11:16 AM
Yes, Paranoid still gets mucho play at my house when the wife is gone...good thing the kids like it. In hindsight, probably the best sophomore record ever considering it changed rock even more than Nevermind.

Aerosmith was a darn good first effort also.

Pieces Hit
9/9/2008, 11:25 AM
oh hail yeh.

How about "TED NUGENT" with Stranglehold and what not?

sooneron
9/9/2008, 11:34 AM
The Cars and Are You Experienced? are good ones

Hendrix- chalk up another one from 67.

The Maestro
9/9/2008, 11:39 AM
What? No "Hangin' Tough"???

Fine then. Bigger and Deffer.

Yes, joking...but on a side note, did anyone watch any part of the MTV Video Awards the other night? Boy, popular music has never sucked more. But I guess every generation says that, right?

sooneron
9/9/2008, 11:40 AM
FWIW, I said that about the sophomore album fully knowing that I liked Vs. as a whole better than Ten by PJ.

The Bends would prolly get my vote for best Soph album.

Fresh Cream is another solid opener, as well as VH.

sooneron
9/9/2008, 11:46 AM
Hmm, for the post punk and glam fans...

Joy Div - Unknown Pleasures
Echo ... - Crocodiles
Roxy Music - Roxy Music

sooneron
9/9/2008, 11:48 AM
Patti Smith - Horses

sooneron
9/9/2008, 11:51 AM
The hayday of CBGB-

Television - Marquee Moon
The Police - Outlandos

Sooner98
9/9/2008, 12:31 PM
This discussion begins and ends with Appetite.

Coincidentally, Sweet Child O' Mine was the #1 song in America, exactly twenty years ago this week.

sooneron
9/9/2008, 12:50 PM
Sorry, Hendrix trumps axl. Hell, Jim trumps axl.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 12:55 PM
Agreed. In fact, at least 10 albums mentioned in this thread trump Axl.

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 01:21 PM
Appetite was great b/c every song was great. However, it didn't "change rock and roll" the way some others did. Plus, it doesn't help that the band did not stick around long and is pretty much a punchline at this point. Had Jimi or Jim lived long enough, their shine may have been diminished.

tbl
9/9/2008, 01:30 PM
Are You Experienced?

Led Zeppelin I

B-52s (Don't Laugh - before he died John Lennon said it was his favorite album ever)

Velvet Underground & Nico

The Cars

Those belong at the top of the list somewhere. I'm just not sure where.
This is a pretty solid list, but I just personally never liked the Nico stuff. Her voice is horrendous. Other than that, very good, including the B-52's. Underrated genius in that group...

Bleach
The Doors
Appetite
Kill em all
Van Halen
Though it's been murdered by classic rock and I can't hardly listen to many of these songs anymore, it was still a great debut: (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)
What's the story morning glory

Great sophomore albums
Dirt
Nevermind
Idlewild South
The Bends
Vs.
Second Helping (same as note above for Skynyrd, except for "I Need You". That's easily their best song and listenable any time.)

Sooner04
9/9/2008, 01:36 PM
Had Jimi or Jim or Kurt lived long enough, their shine may have been diminished.
Nirvana would be touring with Aerosmith and REO Speedwagon by now had Cobain not blown his brain to bits.

stoopified
9/9/2008, 01:41 PM
Boston.Beat me to it.

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 01:46 PM
Nirvana would be touring with Aerosmith and REO Speedwagon by now had Cobain not blown his brain to bits.

Worst.
Post.
Evar.

Sooner04
9/9/2008, 01:47 PM
Nirvana would be touring with Kansas and REO Speedwagon by now had Cobain not blown his brain to bits.
This is more like it. Nirvana wouldn't deserve to be alongside rock royalty like Aerosmith.

birddog
9/9/2008, 01:51 PM
self titled Queens of the Stone Age.

nobody bought it til they put out Songs for the Deaf.

Vaevictis
9/9/2008, 01:51 PM
August and Everything After

My all time favorite album. But probably doesn't qualify as rock and roll:

1. Round Here
2. Omaha
3. Mr. Jones
4. Anna Begins
5. Blue Buildings
6. Time and Time Again
7. Rain King
8. Sullivan Street
9. Ghost Train
10. Raining in Baltimore
11. Murder of One

I love them all -- especially Anna Begins, which as an aside is something all you people should listen to at least once if you never have -- but really, I think maybe Mr. Jones, Rain King and Murder of One call be classified as "rock." The rest, not really. Hence, not rock album.

PS: The "Anna Begins" on Across a Wire is several orders of magnitude better, the Omaha demo tape is great (it's Omaha done electric), and just about any other rendition of Round Here done by Counting Crows or the Himalayans is better than what's on the album.

KRYPTON
9/9/2008, 02:00 PM
"Six and Twelve String Guitar" by Leo Kottke.

Everyone else has already named other good answers. "Are You Experienced" pretty much ended the progression of rock guitar for good. Van Halen just optimized the equipment.

SteelCitySooner
9/9/2008, 02:01 PM

1. Round Here
2. Omaha
3. Mr. Jones
4. Anna Begins
5. Blue Buildings
6. Time and Time Again
7. Rain King
8. Sullivan Street
9. Ghost Train
10. Raining in Baltimore
11. Murder of One

I love them all -- especially Anna Begins, which as an aside is something all you people should listen to at least once if you never have -- but really, I think maybe Mr. Jones, Rain King and Murder of One call be classified as "rock." The rest, not really. Hence, not rock album.

PS: The "Anna Begins" on Across a Wire is several orders of magnitude better, the Omaha demo tape is great (it's Omaha done electric), and just about any other rendition of Round Here done by Counting Crows or the Himalayans is better than what's on the album.

Agree with you completely, I wore that CD out. Anna Begins is an all time classic. But it's not the best all-time debut rock album..

Appetite may have not changed Rock.. But I think it's fairly safe to say, it 'saved' rock.

Taxman71
9/9/2008, 02:11 PM
This is more like it. Nirvana wouldn't deserve to be alongside rock royalty like Aerosmith.

You are reaching the Point of Know Return in this thread.

Harry Beanbag
9/9/2008, 05:11 PM

1. Round Here
2. Omaha
3. Mr. Jones
4. Anna Begins
5. Blue Buildings
6. Time and Time Again
7. Rain King
8. Sullivan Street
9. Ghost Train
10. Raining in Baltimore
11. Murder of One

Wouldn't you know it, I finally have a reason to spek you and now I can't. So here's a hearty heh.

Lott's Bandana
9/9/2008, 11:26 PM
Dreamboat Annie

Spekedy.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 11:28 PM
Lots of people will either bag on me or scratch their heads, but Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights has got to be one of the best debuts in the last 25 years.

sooneron
9/10/2008, 07:23 AM
Lots of people will either bag on me or scratch their heads, but Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights has got to be one of the best debuts in the last 25 years.

I will one up that with an album that came to me last night and I was pizzed that I omitted it-

Pretty

Hate

Machine

nuff said! NIN FTW!:texan:

BigRedJed
9/10/2008, 07:45 AM
No ****. That was a great one. Saw Trent at Rome on the tour for that one. '90 or maybe early '91.

sooneron
9/10/2008, 07:46 AM
No ****. That was a great one. Saw Trent at Rome on the tour for that one. '90 or maybe early '91.

90, I was bartending that night.

BigRedJed
9/10/2008, 07:51 AM
Nice! You're a weak pour, BTW.

sooneron
9/10/2008, 07:59 AM
Nice! You're a weak pour, BTW.

Uh, it was just keg beer/bottles and D Box was always getting on to me about my dumping the foam for more beer.

BigRedJed
9/10/2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine that I was drinking much other than cheep beer back in those days.

BigRedJed
9/10/2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks for knocking the foam off?

sooneron
9/10/2008, 08:08 AM
:les: TIP YOUR BARTENDER!!!!!

Veritas
9/10/2008, 08:38 AM
Six pages in and nobody has mentioned...

Rage Against The Machine
Maiden's Number of the Beast (Paul Di'Anno records do not count)
Black Sabbath

Something I was gonna say...oh, yeah. Classic Rock (tm) must die.

:D

Lott's Bandana
9/10/2008, 09:57 AM
Something I was gonna say...oh, yeah. Classic Rock (tm) (Corporate Radio) must die.

;)

Taxman71
9/11/2008, 09:32 AM
Six pages in and nobody has mentioned...

Rage Against The Machine
Maiden's Number of the Beast (Paul Di'Anno records do not count)
Black Sabbath

Something I was gonna say...oh, yeah. Classic Rock (tm) must die.

See post #68 et seq. re Black Sabbath.

I would agree as to Number of the Beast (Maiden's 3rd record overall), but then we would have chicks on here raving about 5150 with Sammy Hagar.

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 09:33 AM
Curiously, I have only found dudes that will defend Van Hagar. Sad, misguided dudes.

SoonerProphet
9/11/2008, 09:37 AM
Helmet's Meantime was a very nice debut recording.

SoonerProphet
9/11/2008, 09:40 AM
can't go wrong with Sailing the Seas of Cheese either.

sooneron
9/11/2008, 11:52 AM
Helmet's Meantime was a very nice debut recording.

Nice one!!

King Crimson
9/11/2008, 11:58 AM
Strap it On was before Meantime. Meantime would be a great one in the soph list. Strap it On isn't great. Not bad, but it's not Meantime.

SoonerProphet
9/11/2008, 12:00 PM
Is there a caveat for "major label"??

sooneron
9/11/2008, 12:01 PM
no, it has to be the first one out of the chute.

RiddlerOK
9/11/2008, 12:14 PM
My fab five debut albums of all time (based upon how good I thought they sounded and how quickly they became popular once they were released to the public, not how good they sounded a year or more down the road):

1. Jimi Hendrix- Are You Experienced?

He might as well have been from another planet. This was a startling introduction to the masses just as heavy metal was beginning its formative infancy. Bookended by Blue Cheer and Steppenwolf, he rose above them all to become THE gold standard for the development of the genre.

2. Boston- Boston

This album slowly but surely built up steam and became the rage in the summer and fall of 1976. It was THAT popular and would receive virtually the same level of admiration as the next entry...

3. Van Halen- Van Halen

This was almost like listening to Jimi, but having the same emotional impact as Boston. Eddie's playing ability sounded both surreal and sublime, stretching the art form of electric guitar showmanship to areas only Hendrix could previously explore.

4. Ozzy Osbourne- Blizzard of Oz

This is an album that has sadly become more popular due to the death of Randy Rhoads. The thing that I remember is, it was a very popular album at the time of its release and it has aged quite well.

5. Beastie Boys- Licensed To Ill

Before you jump on the hate bandwagon regarding this album (and I am sure there are plenty of anti-Beastie Boys haters in the crowd), I remember how much buzz this opening act from the Beasties generated, and how popular it was on the opposite coast. It was a startling debut, and it carried the charts for over a year.

Honorable mention albums:

The Band- Music From The Big Pink (What a masterpiece. Levon Helm and
Robbie Robertson were simply sublime on this album)

The Doors- The Doors (This album took a while to become popular but, looking back on it now, it was so far removed from Beatlemania that it's rise to popularity stands on its own merits).

The Cars- The Cars (I couldn't put this album down after first listen. Sure there wasn't anything earth shattering about the music here but, it reminds me of similar greatness in "INXS- Kick" and "Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever". They were albums that contained an extensive collection of GOOD songs.)

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 12:19 PM
Nice call with Licensed to Ill.

King Crimson
9/11/2008, 12:26 PM
Paul's Boutique mos def a soph giant.

Danzig: Danzig was a pretty unique, heavy record when it came out.

sooneron
9/11/2008, 12:29 PM
The Doors- The Doors (This album took a while to become popular but, looking back on it now, it was so far removed from Beatlemania that it's rise to popularity stands on its own merits).

I'm not trying to hammer the point here, but the album hit #2 the year it was released and Light My Fire hit #1 the same year. Maybe I'm wrong, I was born in 67 so I don't really know how long it took for the album to kick in. I mean , how long does it take for a new artist in 1967 to get major play and sales without the big label push/media barrage that we see today? Hitting those spots on the charts within a year doesn't seem like that long to me.

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 12:38 PM
It took Pretty Hate Machine a LONG time to get popular. I bought it right after it was released, pretty much on a lark after reading a review in Spin or Rolling Stone. I pretty much wore it out and was getting a little tired of it by the time I even started hearing it get play in clubs. I know it was well over a year before it hit mainstream popularity.

sooneron
9/11/2008, 12:40 PM
It took Pretty Hate Machine a LONG time to get popular. I bought it right after it was released, pretty much on a lark after reading a review in Spin or Rolling Stone. I pretty much wore it out and was getting a little tired of it by the time I even started hearing it get play in clubs. I know it was well over a year before it hit mainstream popularity.

I think I got it right around the time they played at Rome XC. I don't think that they had hit it big at that time. There were MAYBE 100 people there.

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 12:41 PM
Paul's Boutique mos def a soph giant...
Also, maybe that should be figured into the equation when discussing greatest debut albums ever. Maybe I'm wrong, but if the sophomore album is better (which is a great problem to have), it diminishes the stature of the debut a tiny bit. I mean, Led Zeppelin I was great, but by far not the best album by that band. Same story with Licensed To Ill.

Splitting hairs I know, but something to think about.

sooneron
9/11/2008, 12:42 PM
Candy O is a pretty solid follow up. I find myself liking the less/not played stuff again.

http://bluegirlredstate.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/candyo.jpg

I also just wanted to post the album cover. ;)

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 12:46 PM
I think I got it right around the time they played at Rome XC. I don't think that they had hit it big at that time. There were MAYBE 100 people there.
Yep. I was one, 'cause I had a worn-out cassette of PHM. Talked a few of my friends into it too. Outstanding show. There were a few good ones that came through there around that time. Echo and the Bunnymen, Smithereens, Book of Love...

silverwheels
9/11/2008, 12:47 PM

Yes. Hell, I could name a bunch of good debut albums from the past 10-15 years, but a lot of them aren't necessarily "rock".

BigRedJed
Dude, I loves me some Vargas.

sooneron
Yep. I was one, 'cause I had a worn-out cassette of PHM. Talked a few of my friends into it too. Outstanding show. There were a few good ones that came through there around that time. Echo and the Bunnymen, Smithereens, Book of Love...

I don't remember Echo.:mad:
That may have been The Edge daze.

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, must've been. Coulda been around '87 or '88, actually.

SoonerProphet
9/11/2008, 12:55 PM
If the Beasties are on the list then we can't leave of Yo! Bum Rush the Show.

SoonerProphet
9/11/2008, 12:57 PM
And for some sophmore success, Meat is Murder.

King Crimson
9/11/2008, 12:59 PM
Echo toured with New Order in 87, i don't even think they were around in 90. Ian McCulloch's solo LP came out in 88 or 89. they never put out anything after the self-titled LP with Lips Like Sugar and that was 87ish.

Psychedelic Furs: Psychedelic Furs. really great LP IMO. Mirror Moves has some good stuff (Todd Rundgren produced)....outside some standout tracks here and there....it was all sort of downhill after that.

King Crimson
9/11/2008, 01:01 PM
And for some sophmore success, Meat is Murder.

i almost did the Smiths earlier, but the Smiths the Smiths is mostly rerecorded versions of previous singles. and those versions can be found earlier on the Hatful of Hollow UK compilation....which is outstanding as well.

Yo! is a good one with a soph titan in Nation of Millions.

sooneron
9/11/2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah, must've been. Coulda been around '87 or '88, actually.

That sounds familiar.
That place had some really good shows..

And if you want a great debut that IS rock n roll from the past YEAR...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000QEILGU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

sooneron
9/11/2008, 01:05 PM
Yes. Hell, I could name a bunch of good debut albums from the past 10-15 years, but a lot of them aren't necessarily "rock".

Please see my previous post.^

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah, it was definitely with McCulloch, and not the band that tried to record/tour with the name after he left.

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 01:10 PM
Also, it was NOT with New Order. At that point in time ('87-'88), I would have creamed myself to have seen both of those bands in the same place at the same time. New Order was probably my favorite band at the time. Echo must've just picked up a solo date when they were off from that tour. I don't even remember there being an opening band. Of course, there's a lot from those days that I don't remember. ;)

sooneron
9/11/2008, 01:13 PM
Also, it was NOT with New Order. At that point in time ('87-'88), I would have creamed myself to have seen both of those bands in the same place at the same time. New Order was probably my favorite band at the time. Echo must've just picked up a solo date when they were off from that tour. I don't even remember there being an opening band. Of course, there's a lot from those days that I don't remember. ;)

I believe I saw them at Reunion on that tour.

Taxman71
9/11/2008, 01:15 PM
I would be chastised if I didn't put Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy on the debut/sophomore list. It hardly ever leaves my disc-changer.

RiddlerOK
9/11/2008, 02:05 PM
I'm not trying to hammer the point here, but the album hit #2 the year it was released and Light My Fire hit #1 the same year. Maybe I'm wrong, I was born in 67 so I don't really know how long it took for the album to kick in. I mean , how long does it take for a new artist in 1967 to get major play and sales without the big label push/media barrage that we see today? Hitting those spots on the charts within a year doesn't seem like that long to me.

I agree with you for the most part but, this album took a little bit longer than anticipated to kick in on overall sales and popularity because of two things. First, the Summer of Love/psychadelic movement (Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane and the Brit bands) took the edge off its initial popularity and it didn't help that Elektra initially overpromoted the single "Light My Fire" to the public instead of focusing more on the album. Once the Summer of Love's initial impact wore off, the album's sales took off again. The Doors live performances that year greatly helped the sales of the record, especially with "The End". I remember The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were still tremendously dominating popular music but there was no question that The Doors were getting noticed on a national scale. it's just that Jimi Hendrix, Cream and the British Bands were still getting more press that summer, which made the Doors look much more like a cult band at the time.

Thank goodness they didn't have to compete with disco a decade later. ;)

oumartin
9/11/2008, 03:19 PM
Boston without a doubt

King Crimson
9/11/2008, 03:46 PM
Jed, on the subject of New Order...Rhino is re-releasing the first 5 LP's with a ton of bonus tracks, B-sides, and remixes. each LP has a bonus disc. these are supposed to come out at the end of the month i'm pretty sure.

i read about it on the wiki page for NO the other day after watching 24 Hour Party People.

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 04:22 PM
Nice. I've been meaning to see that. You know, I love Joy Division now, but was a bit too young and a bit to Kansan to dicover them before Ian Curtis died. I only discovered them through being a NO fan. Since then, I often wonder what hard-core Joy Division fans thought of the poppier NO stuff. Sort of like wondering what hardcore Nirvana fans think of Foo Fighters.

def_lazer_fc
9/11/2008, 07:09 PM
What? No "Hangin' Tough"???

Fine then. Bigger and Deffer.

Yes, joking...but on a side note, did anyone watch any part of the MTV Video Awards the other night? Boy, popular music has never sucked more. But I guess every generation says that, right?

no, its reached a far greater level of sucktitude than ever before. mtv will be the death of music. or at least good music. but you'll still have paramore(?) and god willing, mtv can resurrect britney for one last hurrah.

sooneron
9/11/2008, 08:20 PM
Nice. I've been meaning to see that. You know, I love Joy Division now, but was a bit too young and a bit to Kansan to dicover them before Ian Curtis died. I only discovered them through being a NO fan. Since then, I often wonder what hard-core Joy Division fans thought of the poppier NO stuff. Sort of like wondering what hardcore Nirvana fans think of Foo Fighters.

I think the JD fans moved on to The Cure (when they were somewhat edgy).

TMcGee86
9/11/2008, 10:25 PM

That was gonna be my choice. I absolutely wore that cd out. I loved every song.

I can still put it in and listen to it all the way through.

LSUdeek
9/11/2008, 11:40 PM
Bleach is definitely lesser than Nevermind, unfortunately. Nirvana, Metallica, and Soundgarden fall in the category of bands that needed to get the kinks worked out before rocking.

I'm a little torn on AiC. I like Facelift just as much as Dirt but for different reasons. There's a lot of bluesy stuff on it that I like that isn't present on Dirt.

Pearl Jam, STP, Pumpkins.... freshman success and downhill from there (Although I loved Vs, Purple, and Siamese Dream)

texas bandman
9/12/2008, 01:16 AM
Me I'm sort offond of REM's "Murmur"

Blue
9/12/2008, 01:42 AM
Silverchair was pretty good. I didn't read the thread though.

Blue
9/12/2008, 01:52 AM
04 critiquing music. Hah! That's as bout as bad as his sports commentary.

The Raconteurs.
Sublime-40 ounces.
Green Day
Slippery when wet

BigRedJed
9/12/2008, 06:35 AM
Yeah, uh... ....Slippery When Wet was Bon Jovi's third album.

sooneron
9/12/2008, 07:13 AM
04 critiquing music. Hah! That's as bout as bad as his sports commentary.

The Raconteurs.
Sublime-40 ounces.
Green Day
Slippery when wet

You should have seen his Men At Work > INXS thread. High comedy.

King Crimson
9/12/2008, 07:38 AM
I think the JD fans moved on to The Cure (when they were somewhat edgy).

of if they didn't follow Factory Records more poppy drift (NO, Happy Mondays) i'd also guess bauhaus and birthday party.

King Crimson
9/13/2008, 06:58 AM
just to beat the non-breathing horse here...the greatest rock soph record is the stooges funhouse. nevermind is a pop record. a great one, but it's ear candy.

it's not really even close. if you want to chart the end of the "60's" or "hippies". epochal change. this is a record that came out while the Beatles were still together.

put "loose" or "TV Eye" on yer hifi and turn it up. this ain't no summer of love. 1970 or LA Blues, tear the floor away.

that said: surrealistic pillow is another great soph effort. i highly recommend the Jefferson Airplane 2400 Fulton Street compilation discs to anyone who likes good music. they were really great for that time. what they (Grace Slick) turned into is horrible with Nuclear Furniture and such....that early stuff is pretty good.

but, funhouse is free jazz (LA Blues) and punk and Dee-troit city whatever. there's almost no way it's not the best rock record ever made.

edit: Alice in Chains Dirt title is a cop of one off funhouse.

OklaPony
9/13/2008, 08:24 AM
Dangit, I just read through 8 pages of this thread to find that nobody nominated for best debut:

Audioslave

How about Foo Fighters' "The Colour And The Shape" for best sophomore effort?

Great thread, btw. The memories of The Edge / Rome XC are a little disturbing, however. :D

Cam
9/13/2008, 08:35 AM

I think I wore out two cassettes of this in my car. Still crank this CD.

How about Candlebox - Candlebox? If that was a debut, it was a pretty damn good one. Not the best ever, but damn good.

jthomasou78
9/13/2008, 08:36 AM
I always thought 16 stone by bush was great.

Cam
9/13/2008, 08:40 AM
I always thought 16 stone by bush was great.

Yep

sooneron
10/15/2008, 04:56 PM
I think I wore out two cassettes of this in my car. Still crank this CD.

How about Candlebox - Candlebox? If that was a debut, it was a pretty damn good one. Not the best ever, but damn good.

They will always be dead to me for derailing the success of The Chainsaw Kittens.

KC//CRIMSON
10/15/2008, 05:51 PM
The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols
The Pretenders - The Pretenders
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
PJ Harvey - Dry
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Bleach
The Cult - Love

Mixer!
10/15/2008, 08:01 PM
Meet The Beatles

soonerboomer93
10/15/2008, 09:12 PM
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Syd pwns

Blue
10/16/2008, 02:33 AM
The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols
The Pretenders - The Pretenders
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
PJ Harvey - Dry
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Bleach
The Cult - Love

Besides GnR n Nirvana...GAY. :D

Taxman71
10/16/2008, 10:41 AM
Can Death Magnetic be on this list? The last 20 years of Metallica seemed like a different band.

scotplum
10/16/2008, 02:03 PM
Has it ever fully been decided in regards to whether it's "Take a load off, Fannie" or "Take a load off, Annie"?

It would be Fannie (or Fanny). I don't know the reason why exactly but hopefully that puts an end to your curiousity. Sadly, it is a pretty relevant lyric today with the bailout and what not. Perhaps the History Channel will now do a documentary on The Band and how they can predict the future.