PDA

View Full Version : Ike Ike Ike Ike Ike Ike Ike Ike Ike Ike Ike

SeattleOUstudent
9/8/2008, 03:10 PM
Yikes, does not look good for the GOM, again. :gary:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0908W5_sm2+gif/151330W_sm.gif

TMcGee86
9/8/2008, 03:12 PM
wow, this time, literally:

IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!11!!1!1
http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2003/05/15-inside-stack.jpg

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 03:15 PM
Ike is such a bastage, Hes prolly causin this with His super colider thingy.:eek:

BudSooner
9/8/2008, 04:09 PM
Looks like it might head towards mexico, oh **** that means more of them will be coming here. ****.

Ya got space on yer hill Vet? :D

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 04:32 PM
Looks like it might head towards mexico, oh **** that means more of them will be coming here. ****.

Ya got space on yer hill Vet? :D

Yup, Bring Ammo. :D

colleyvillesooner
9/8/2008, 04:34 PM
MERGE MERGE MERGE MERGE MERGE MERGE MERGE MERGE MERGE

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119269&highlight=IKE

;)

TMcGee86
9/8/2008, 10:18 PM
Well, check that, seems he's turned south. Houston is saved.\

EDIT - obviously it turned back north. Houston is doomed. :(

Penguin
9/8/2008, 11:52 PM
Well, just to be safe, today I bought plenty of water and ice before the potential rush.

And ammo. Lots o' ammo. And some body bags.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2008, 11:56 PM
These big azz tornados sure are keepin my grass green.

SteelClip49
9/9/2008, 08:26 AM
Eisenhower is headed for Crawford!!!!!

goodonya
9/9/2008, 11:51 AM
If you navigate1/2" north of the 8:00 AM Sat. position you will know where my wife and I will be tomorrow. We are getting certain valuables from the house, boarding up the windows and taking the boat out of the sling and puttin' it on the trailer to take north for a few days.

We are on 16' pilings 14' above sea level 2.5 miles up the Colo. river from the gulf. I think we might get wet. Good news is we cut the window boards before we even got all the furniture in last year.

colleyvillesooner
9/9/2008, 11:55 AM
We'll be sending prayers your way...

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/9/2008, 01:02 PM
Please go south...way south!

kbsooner21
9/11/2008, 08:09 AM
bump cause I don't want to dig 4 pages to look for that path

Penguin
9/11/2008, 08:33 AM
Yep, things should get interesting. Looks like Harris County will suffer from hurricane force winds for 18 hours Saturday.

That's what happened to Baton Rouge with Gustav. Huge parts of that city are still without power.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/11/2008, 09:31 AM
I was in BR last week for Gustav. Houston's gonna blow this weekend. A generator and small window a/c unit may not be a bad investment at this point.

Oh, and I hope you cut those pine trees away from your house.

TexasSooner01
9/11/2008, 09:55 AM
OK so this will be my first Hurricane. I am not worried about the surge...we are too far inland for that, I am scared ****less about the wind and tornados that come with the storm.

Since the stupid city of Houston dont understand or know what a frickin tornado siren is...looks like i will be up all night tomorrow watching outside and the news. I remember the F5 that went through Moore in May of 99...and living in Tornado ally for 15 years has me a little PTSD about Tornados.

fun fun...

we have plenty of water and food...so we are set...all of our insurance policies have been paid and are current...so I guess we are ready.

BRING IT ON!!!

TMcGee86
9/11/2008, 10:38 AM
OK so this will be my first Hurricane. I am not worried about the surge...we are too far inland for that, I am scared ****less about the wind and tornados that come with the storm.

Since the stupid city of Houston dont understand or know what a frickin tornado siren is...looks like i will be up all night tomorrow watching outside and the news. I remember the F5 that went through Moore in May of 99...and living in Tornado ally for 15 years has me a little PTSD about Tornados.

fun fun...

we have plenty of water and food...so we are set...all of our insurance policies have been paid and are current...so I guess we are ready.

BRING IT ON!!!

Yeah! I have never understood this. It's like Houston has no idea what a tornado is or how to handle one. Growing up in Tulsa I still remember hearing those sirens and knowing to head under the stairs. But here? Nothing. I freaking drove right under one this summer (luckily it never fully touched down) and there wasn't even anything on the radio about it.

This will also be my first Hurricane, assuming it doesn't miss us. I have this sneaky feeling it's going to keep heading north and hit beaumont.

Penguin
9/11/2008, 01:28 PM
I doubt that. This is a lot more straight forward forecast than Rita was.

Just stay away from the windows. Have cardboard and duct tape standing by in case you need to make an emergency patch job to any broken windows.

Just switch to survival mode. Expect no power for at least a week. You can survive on peanut butter sandwiches and water for a while. This ain't going to be the most luxurious time in Harris County. Pray that you keep your electricity, but don't expect it.

Penguin
9/11/2008, 01:34 PM
Woah! Possible 16'-20' storm surge!!!!

Galveston goes under at 14'. I sure hope everybody gets the hell out of there!

BigRedJed
9/11/2008, 01:51 PM
Why am I fairly certain that if Houston gets hit hard the City of New Orleans won't reach out to help them in the same way H-town reached out to NOLA?

TMcGee86
9/11/2008, 02:40 PM
Why am I fairly certain that if Houston gets hit hard the City of New Orleans won't reach out to help them in the same way H-town reached out to NOLA?

Ha. No doubt. Just a hunch, but I highly doubt three years from now we still see Houstonites living in apartments in NO. :rolleyes:

OKLA21FAN
9/11/2008, 02:44 PM
Ha. No doubt. Just a hunch, but I highly doubt three years from now we still see Houstonites living in apartments in NO. :rolleyes:

but the population of Waco and Huntsville may double :pop:

Penguin
9/11/2008, 03:05 PM
Damn. The beach has already disappeared on Galveston's West End.

Still got a day and a half to go.

nmsoonergirl
9/11/2008, 03:06 PM
The inlaws live on the bay in Rockport. They are on the way to San Antonio now, and I'm sure they are well insured and all, but it still sucks for them. I just don't don't see the appeal of costal living, but I'm sure they don't understand why we live in the middle of the desert.

Prayers to all the folks in harm's way.

SeattleOUstudent
9/11/2008, 03:42 PM
I have relatives that live downtown Galveston. They were out surfing today. They told my mom that they dont plan on leaving because their condo is x feet above sealevel.

Losers.

mdklatt
9/11/2008, 03:55 PM
Effed in the ay. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3046592.html) :eek:

Houston's perfect storm would feed on late summer's warm waters as it barreled northward across the Gulf of Mexico, slamming into the coast near Freeport.

A landfall here would allow its powerful upper-right quadrant, where the waves move in the same direction as the storm, to overflow Galveston Bay. Within an hour or two, a storm surge, topping out at 20 feet or more, would flood the homes of 600,000 people in Harris County. The surge also would block the natural drainage of flooded inland bayous and streams for a day or more.

mdklatt
9/11/2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1080&tstamp=200809

Hurricane Ike's winds remain at Category 2 strength, but Ike is a freak storm with extreme destructive storm surge potential. Ike's pressure fell rapidly last night to 944 mb, but the hurricane did not respond to the pressure change by increasing its maximum winds in the eyewall. Instead, Ike responded by increasing the velocity of its winds away from the eyewall, over a huge stretch of the Gulf of Mexico.
Ike will probably inundate a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast from Port O'Connor to just north of Galveston with a 10-15 foot storm surge. This will occur even if Ike is a Category 1 storm at landfall. The latest experimental storm surge forecast From NOAA's SLOSH model (Figure 1) shows a 10% chance that Ike's storm surge will exceed 15-21 feet at Galveston. The Galveston sea wall is 17 feet high, so it may get overtopped.

TMcGee86
9/11/2008, 05:28 PM
It's still creeping northeast.

I'm telling you, Houston wont see anything. My money says the eye crosses just east of Beaumont.

I have a friend in Beaumont, they have been pounded three times in the past few years. I really need to tell him to turn off his hurricane magnet.

Half a Hundred
9/11/2008, 06:52 PM
North side of Houston here. Not too excited. See y'all in about a week or so (hopefully)

Penguin
9/11/2008, 10:05 PM
Here's the county's forecast winds: http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/

Be patient. Channel 11 has been showing it and ever since then, the website's getting slammed.

mdklatt
9/11/2008, 11:20 PM
Here's the county's forecast winds: http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/

64 MPH in my old neigborhood.

Penguin
9/11/2008, 11:41 PM
64 MPH in my old neigborhood.

66 mph in my current neighborhood. Luckily, all of these loose nails and boards laying around should help slow things down a bit.

LSUdeek
9/11/2008, 11:45 PM

Hey, there's already the 'Mayor Ray Nagin Special'

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/124/story/287347.html

Ray Nagin Special???? Nevar heard of it...

Widescreen
9/11/2008, 11:47 PM
Just made the drive from Galveston to Dallas today (our cruise ship docked in Galveston this morning). The drive sucked. Hard. Took about 4.5 hrs to get from Galveston to Conroe.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2008, 11:49 PM
66 mph in my current neighborhood.

:les: 1.21 GIGAWATTS!

Penguin
9/12/2008, 12:28 AM
:les: 1.21 GIGAWATTS!

Dude, you need 88 MPH before you start seeing some serious ****. Only Galveston will sent back to 1900.

BigRedJed
9/12/2008, 06:50 AM
Hey, there's already the 'Mayor Ray Nagin Special'

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/124/story/287347.html

Houston set up shelters - including opening the Astrodome - to New Orleans residents fleeing Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Thousands of people went to Houston, many staying there for months or even years after Katrina...

...No shelters have been opened in New Orleans. But Nagin says there are 13,000 to 15,000 available hotel rooms. He says people should just ask for the "Mayor Ray Nagin special" rate. Romig was unable to say what that rate was, but said summer hotel rates were generally lower in the French Quarter and surrounding areas.
Nice. "Hey, I know you guys opened your arms to our people, gave them shelter, food, clothing, jobs, have since kept many of them, some good, some bad. I know your crime rate went crazy when our people moved up there. In return for everything you did for our hurricane evacuees, we'd like to offer your hurricane victims the chance to come to our city and pay slightly reduced rates for hotel rooms during our off-season. While you're here, be sure to dine at our fabulous restaurants and buy some souvenirs!"

Widescreen
9/12/2008, 09:38 AM
He runs a fine Chocolate City.

Okla-homey
9/12/2008, 10:12 AM
I heard on the radio this a.m. some authority has stated sheltering in place in certain sections of Galveston means CERTAIN DEATH!

That's pretty harsh. I hope folks listen.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 10:28 AM
The gulf is already splashing over the seawall in Galveston. They'll be closing the causeway pretty soon. The coffin is about to be sealed.

colleyvillesooner
9/12/2008, 10:32 AM
What kind of damage are we looking at in Galveston, Penguin.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 10:33 AM

Not good.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 10:51 AM

Funny you ask that. There is an official with Homeland Security talking about it right now.

They are expecting the entire island to be underwater. Houses not protected by the seawall are not expected to be there after the storm. That's the first time I've heard them say that! The county has already cutoff water and sewage to most of the island.

On the mainland, Texas City is expected to go underwater. Kemah and Seabrook are already completely cutoff due to high water from Galveston Bay. And we still haven't seen a drop of rain yet.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 10:53 AM
OMG. The sheriff in Brazoria County is asking residents staying to please keep an ID on them at all times.

So they can identify their bodies later.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 10:56 AM
LOL! Please write your name on your arm with a magic marker!

Gee, guys. I think it's time to leave when the sheriff is asking you to do that!

mdklatt
9/12/2008, 10:56 AM
So they can identify their bodies later.

Did he actually say that, or was that just implied?

Penguin
9/12/2008, 11:02 AM
Did he actually say that, or was that just implied?

Implied. He asked that it be able to stay on you so it doesn't get washed away.

He also asked for everyone to pick their favorite dramatic "death pose." I know it isn't a death pose, but I would have to go with Shatner's "Khan!" scene.

http://nuncscio.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/khan.jpg

IKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMcGee86
9/12/2008, 11:03 AM
Man it's already getting windy way up here in NW Houston.

I went and moved all our patio furniture to the garage.

It's about to get ugly.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 11:04 AM
LOL! Please write your name on your arm with a magic marker!

Gee, guys. I think it's time to leave when the sheriff is asking you to do that!

Some people sadly are just stupid.

BigRedJed
9/12/2008, 11:14 AM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_galves19005_050922_ssh.jpg

Sooner04
9/12/2008, 11:17 AM
Somewhere, Jimmy Webb weeps.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/12/2008, 11:18 AM

I went over to Bay St. Louis, MS after Katrina to check out the old town and there was only 1 or 2 building not reduced to rubble. They don't have a seawall there but they are not really on the Gulf either with barrier islands offshore to break up the surge.

A person at work had a large beautiful house at the head of the Bay. When they came home they could barely find a few splinters in the surrounding woods.

Anybody that stays on that island is a candidate for a Darwin Award.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 12:04 PM
Geraldo just busted his ***

Who saw it? :D

Penguin
9/12/2008, 12:22 PM
Storm surge is already at 8 feet at Galveston.

This is an unusual storm. It's a Cat 2, but it has the size and the storm surge of a Cat 4 hurricane.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 12:23 PM
Storm surge is already at 8 feet at Galveston.

This is an unusual storm. It's a Cat 2, but it has the size and the storm surge of a Cat 4 hurricane.

They are saying the effects could be worst than Katrina.

LSUdeek
9/12/2008, 12:30 PM
Nice. "Hey, I know you guys opened your arms to our people, gave them shelter, food, clothing, jobs, have since kept many of them, some good, some bad. I know your crime rate went crazy when our people moved up there. In return for everything you did for our hurricane evacuees, we'd like to offer your hurricane victims the chance to come to our city and pay slightly reduced rates for hotel rooms during our off-season. While you're here, be sure to dine at our fabulous restaurants and buy some souvenirs!"

I dont disagree with any of the above. I live in a fine town with a fine mayor. :D

New Orleans????? Not so much.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 01:25 PM
The roof just fell off Hooters in Galveston!!!!

Noooo

:D

Penguin
9/12/2008, 01:56 PM
Already one storm-related death. A family was cutting down a tree this morning in preparations for Ike. A tree limb fell and killed their 10 year old son.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 02:21 PM
Seawall Blvd is impassable.

What time is that storm surge going to hit again? Man, this storm looks like serious bidness.

Hot Rod
9/12/2008, 02:57 PM
Seawall Blvd is impassable.

What time is that storm surge going to hit again? Man, this storm looks like serious bidness.

And there's people on Fox News there in Galveston who are going to try to brave this sucker.

trwxxa
9/12/2008, 03:48 PM

The seawall is 15-17 feet above sea level and is the highest point on the island. The surge could be as high as 20 feet so the water comes over the seawall and flows downhill across the island to the bay on the other side. If the island was larger, the damage would rival the flood damage N.O. had with Katrina.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 03:55 PM
The seawall is 15-17 feet above sea level and is the highest point on the island. The surge could be as high as 20 feet so the water comes over the seawall and flows downhill across the island to the bay on the other side. If the island was larger, the damage would rival the flood damage N.O. had with Katrina.

Yeah. The seawall is little comfort when the gulf starts coming up from Galveston Bay.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 04:17 PM
KHOU is broadcasting on channel 361 on DirecTV. I'm assuming anybody in the country can watch it.

mdklatt
9/12/2008, 05:13 PM
KHOU is broadcasting on channel 361 on DirecTV. I'm assuming anybody in the country can watch it.

Well only if you have DirecTV, ****er. :mad:

Is Neil Frank still around?

Penguin
9/12/2008, 05:16 PM
Is Neil Frank still around?

He's retired, but he has come back as "Hurricane Expert" just for Ike.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 06:36 PM
And there's people on Fox News there in Galveston who are going to try to brave this sucker.

They said earlier that it could all be under water after its all done also.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 06:48 PM
Well only if you have DirecTV, ****er. :mad:

:les: IT'S ON 247 ON XM RADIO, TOO!!!!

Flagstaffsooner
9/12/2008, 08:02 PM
The Weather Channel just showed Kyle Field. It has about a foot of water in it.

Okla-homey
9/12/2008, 08:06 PM
Weather Channel just reported 25K stayed in Galveston! RIP mofos.

TMcGee86
9/12/2008, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB8HudfbaTE

Rawk me like a hurricane. :gary:

Getting srsly windy here. I fear we are in for a long night. :pop:

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 08:38 PM
The Weather Channel just showed Kyle Field. It has about a foot of water in it.

:texan:

StoopTroup
9/12/2008, 08:56 PM
I'm in here getting drunk and watching the KU game and going through some football posts and the Wife asks me....

"What's going on with the hurricane Honey?"

My response....

"I'm watching the KU game and posting about OU Football right now...and...I couldn't give a rats a$$ if all of texas got blown away". :D

She then left the room.

CK Sooner
9/12/2008, 08:57 PM
I'm in here getting drunk and watching the KU game and going through some football posts and the Wife asks me....

My response....

"I'm watching the KU game and posting about OU Football right now...and...I couldn't give a rats a$$ if all of texas got blown away". :D

She then left the room.

Widescreen
9/12/2008, 09:00 PM
My response....

:(

Penguin
9/12/2008, 09:03 PM
:mad:

StoopTroup
9/12/2008, 09:04 PM
:(

I don't wish any harm come to any Sooners.

I hope that any Sooners affected by the hurricane have their hOUses lifted from the foundation by a Wizard of OZ ternader and return safely to the Homeland.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 09:43 PM
300,000 with no power already.

Oh, boy.

Flagstaffsooner
9/12/2008, 09:47 PM
I used to live down that way and I pray for my friends there.

Curly Bill
9/12/2008, 09:49 PM

My response....

She then left the room.

Well done! :D

mdklatt
9/12/2008, 09:58 PM
Why the hell do they bother to rescue people who refuse to leave during a mandatory evacuation? What's the point of even having a mandatory evacuation then? If they tell you to leave, and you ignore them, then you should be on your own. Idiots.

mdklatt
9/12/2008, 09:58 PM
300,000 with no power already.

Oh, boy.

Where do you live now?

Penguin
9/12/2008, 10:01 PM
Where do you live now?

Near Westheimer and the Beltway. Zip code 77042.

Curly Bill
9/12/2008, 10:01 PM
Where do you live now?

Where the hell do you think a Penguin is gonna live? :D

SCOUT
9/12/2008, 10:02 PM
Why the hell do they bother to rescue people who refuse to leave during a mandatory evacuation? What's the point of even having a mandatory evacuation then? If they tell you to leave, and you ignore them, then you should be on your own. Idiots.

Because people will compalin that X Politician doesn't care about Y group. Also, we would be barraged with "personal interest" stories clearly showing how some local police deparment is severly lacking because they didn't care enough to help people.

The government is responsible for eveyone's safety all the time and in all situations. :rolleyes:

Flagstaffsooner
9/12/2008, 10:04 PM
Near Westheimer and the Beltway. Zip code 77042.I always figured you a Telephone Rd guy.;)

SCOUT
9/12/2008, 10:06 PM
Near Westheimer and the Beltway. Zip code 77042.

Our Houston office is just north of Briar Forest and the Beltway. We shut the office down today at noon just in case. A bunch of them came here to Dallas yesterday to set up a temporary office in a hotel.

Is it getting real bad yet?

Sooner Eclipse
9/12/2008, 10:06 PM

They reported earlier that an older guy who lives on the island was setting on his porch and refused to leave. When they went to get him he refused to go. Said that his wife had just passed away and he wanted to stay in the house he shared with her and face the storm. I imagine he already been reunited as his part of the island is now under water.

On anther note, IKE GO AWAY - this is creepy but have yet to lose power.

Oh, and Stoop Troop, **** off, Dip****. ;)

GottaHavePride
9/12/2008, 10:10 PM
They reported earlier that an older guy who lives on the island was setting on his porch and refused to leave. When they went to get him he refused to go. Said that his wife had just passed away and he wanted to stay in the house he shared with her and face the storm. I imagine he already been reunited as his part of the island is now under water.

On anther note, IKE GO AWAY - this is creepy but have yet to lose power.

Oh, and Stoop Troop, **** off, Dip****. ;)

If Ike goes away, who's going to tell us when the Large Hadron Collider goes all FUBAR?

Sooner Eclipse
9/12/2008, 10:12 PM
If Ike goes away, who's going to tell us when the Large Hadron Collider goes all FUBAR?

Hopefully, they only blow up that side of the earth and leave this side intact. :(

Penguin
9/12/2008, 10:20 PM
Our Houston office is just north of Briar Forest and the Beltway. We shut the office down today at noon just in case. A bunch of them came here to Dallas yesterday to set up a temporary office in a hotel.

Is it getting real bad yet?

Pretty windy. No rain yet. Lights are flickering, so I doubt I'll be online for much longer.

mdklatt
9/12/2008, 10:20 PM
Looks like it's taking a jog to the south. Ugh.

SCOUT
9/12/2008, 10:26 PM
Pretty windy. No rain yet. Lights are flickering, so I doubt I'll be online for much longer.

Stay safe!

Penguin
9/12/2008, 10:32 PM
I'm just mad that Fox 26 is showing Sheila Jackson Lee instead of The Simpsons!

:mad:

StoopTroup
9/12/2008, 10:32 PM
I can't remember if it was Gilbert or Hugo but we went down to Galveston and was drinking and standing on top on these panel Vans that were running 40-60 mph down the beach and going out and surfing and body surfing in the swells.

Those of you hanging around...that hurricane never made it to Galveston.

This one might.

If I were you.

I'd leave now.

Just saying.

Flagstaffsooner
9/12/2008, 10:40 PM
I can't remember if it was Gilbert or Hugo but we went down to Galveston and was drinking and standing on top on these panel Vans that were running 40-60 mph down the beach and going out and surfing and body surfing in the swells.

Those of you hanging around...that hurricane never made it to Galveston.

This one might.

If I were you.

I'd leave now.

Just saying.That would be Gilbert. Hugo hit the East coast.
http://www.geocities.com/alcus2/brothervsbrother3.jpg

Penguin
9/12/2008, 10:56 PM
450,000 people without power.

I'm about to lose mine. It's flickered about 5 times now.

Flagstaffsooner
9/12/2008, 11:05 PM
Houston radar (http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=hgx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes)

soonergregmsw9802
9/12/2008, 11:06 PM
Penguin,

You and all yours be safe. Prayin for ya and others in the area.

soonergregmsw9802

StoopTroup
9/12/2008, 11:09 PM
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/Loop/southmissvly_loop.gif

tommieharris91
9/12/2008, 11:10 PM

You are the last person I would expect to see this kind of post from.

Penguin
9/12/2008, 11:43 PM
Power is still on. Wind is still a-blowin'.

No body parts in the street. Yet.

Sooner Eclipse
9/13/2008, 12:01 AM
I'm really suprised we haven't lost power yet. It's gone off 3 times, but comes back on within 30 seconds or so.

Keep your head down penguin.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/13/2008, 12:04 AM
What's the word on Houston power? We're in Seattle, trying to find info on Clear Lake.

Oh and glad Galveston isn't endangering their employees to try and rescue stupid people who didn't leave.

Sooner Eclipse
9/13/2008, 12:09 AM
350K or so without power. Still have power in the woodlands. Reports say downtown still has it. So far hasn't been too bad but still hours away from the worst of it up north.

Penguin
9/13/2008, 12:13 AM
What's the word on Houston power? We're in Seattle, trying to find info on Clear Lake.

Don't know about Clear Lake in particular. Galveston and Dickinson have no power. My friend in Baytown has no power.

Eyewall is just now coming on shore.

Penguin
9/13/2008, 12:15 AM
A report of 120 mph winds on Seawall Blvd. Bricks are being ripped off the walls of hotels.

SCOUT
9/13/2008, 12:15 AM
A report of 120 mph winds on Seawall Blvd. Bricks are being ripped off the walls of hotels.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Penguin
9/13/2008, 12:30 AM
They are talking about Clear Lake, now. Winds is freaking howling there.

They said the facade of the Hilton there has been destroyed. No rooms are exposed, though.

Penguin
9/13/2008, 12:32 AM
800,000 are without power and the eyewall is just coming ashore.

Sheesh. This is going to be a long night.

tommieharris91
9/13/2008, 12:34 AM
I was just about to ask you if you were still around. Another board had a report of 750k in the dark.

boomersooner28
9/13/2008, 12:53 AM
Just saw a streaker in Beaumont! Weather channel dude is sitting there talking away and a naked dude goes running around behind him...he just kept talking. Had no idea. :D

Sooner02
9/13/2008, 12:53 AM
Any word on how bad the effects as far as power outages and damage will be as far north as Dallas?

SCOUT
9/13/2008, 12:57 AM
Any word on how bad the effects as far as power outages and damage will be as far north as Dallas?

We can worry about you in a day or two ;)

I have found www.stormpulse.com to be a great resource.

tommieharris91
9/13/2008, 01:18 AM
Brennan's restaurant has been effed in the ay.

aurorasooner
9/13/2008, 02:02 AM
Radar Image about 2 AM Central. Looks likes it's close to dead on Houston
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5889/screenshot004as5.jpg

Sooner Eclipse
9/13/2008, 02:03 AM
Well, it's 2 AM im out of power and only the laptop and dialup are working. This is gonna suck intil we get power back. Its already humid as hell.

silverwheels
9/13/2008, 02:04 AM
Poor Galveston. I like that town. :(

Sooner Eclipse
9/13/2008, 03:53 AM
It's 3:45 - have I said IKE sucks? - HARD.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=hgx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no:eek: :eek: :eek:

GrapevineSooner
9/13/2008, 07:33 AM
Hang in there, Eclipse.

The GS household's thinking of all you down in Houston and around Galveston.

Cam
9/13/2008, 07:53 AM
Now they're saying up to 4 million without power.

Looks like the eye is going to turn NE and go between Dallas and Shreveport.

The winds they're showing on CNN are something else.

9/13/2008, 08:12 AM
8:11 a.m. in College Station and it's as windy as Burns Flat in May.

Cam
9/13/2008, 08:37 AM
They've down graded it to a Cat 1 now. Houston airports are officially open, but all carriers have cancelled their flights.

9/13/2008, 10:41 AM
Ok, this is my first hurricane. They aren't bullsh*tting about strong winds.

And I'm 90 minutes from the coast.

I was without power for 2 hours. THE HUMANITY!

GrapevineSooner
9/13/2008, 10:44 AM
Boil order is in effect for the Greater Houston area.

Flagstaffsooner
9/13/2008, 10:47 AM
They aren't bullsh*tting about strong winds.

Takes all the fun out of farting.:D

Anyone heard anything about Baytown?

Okla-homey
9/13/2008, 10:48 AM
Boil order is in effect for the Greater Houston area.

Hopefully they have plenty of beer.

Flagstaffsooner
9/13/2008, 10:54 AM
Hopefully they have plenty of beer.Damn water down there is nasty anyway.:D

GrapevineSooner
9/13/2008, 10:54 AM
You know, it's kind of funny to watch all these meteorologists in Dallas talk about the wind gusts we'll get in North Texas as if it compares in any way to what Houston and Galveston are getting.

WIND GUSTS TO 50!!!!

Okla-homey
9/13/2008, 10:57 AM
Damn water down there is nasty anyway.:D

When I lived in Bammer, Anheuser-Busch rolled in several semi loads of canned drinking water after a 'cane knocked out a municipal water plant. It was kinda odd looking. Plain white beer cans with simply the words "drinking water" printed thereon. Folks seemed to appreciate it.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/13/2008, 11:00 AM
From blogs reports and our answering machine answering at the house, I think Clear Lake did well. Don't think we lost power, but haven't talked to the neighbor yet. So don't know if we have damage or not.

SeattleOUstudent
9/13/2008, 11:09 AM
Clear Lake does seem to be doing okay...im watching it now on video.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/10903347/index.html

aurorasooner
9/13/2008, 11:29 AM
Kudos to CNN & M$ for that virtual graphic map of the Houston downtown/windspeeds. They're now showing video just driving & it looks like a lot of power lines are down but most of the power poles, trees, & road signs look OK. There was even a billboard in perfect shape. They just said about 50% of the tall building windows were blown out on the lower floors not do to wind-speed or the vacuum effect but due to flying debris. I don't know if it was correct but they said the max windspeed measured in Houston was only 92mph measured at Hobby. Since this was only a Cat 2 'cane, it looks like the downtown Houston area skyscrapers need to take this as a wake-up call. Of course stations like CNN/MSNBC/WeatherChannel are going to try and sensationalize a hurricane and go to the worst hit areas because that's how they get max viewers.
I was glad to read that several southern state governors were going to investigate gas-price gouging, which they should. I guess our prez is watching Gameday this morning & probably CFB all day. Figures. He'll probably just keep mum on the whole gouging situation. Finally, an Executive response.
"In the meantime, the Department of Energy, the Federal Trade Commission and, I know, the state authorities will be monitoring the gasoline prices to make sure consumers are not being gouged," the president added. LOL. They're all partying this weekend with oil-company provided hookers & coke'. While I was reading this. CNN was interviewing a guy in his car in small line at the gas pump & he was saying that he was watching the station raise the price on their sign while he was sitting there. :rolleyes: Just ridiculous. I'm sure the nation's voters are going to be watching the Fed response to this "gas-gouging" situation closely.

BigRedJed
9/13/2008, 12:57 PM
It appears Penguin has lost power. Or is busy screwing a corpse.

bluedogok
9/13/2008, 01:09 PM
As far as the Houston skyscrapers, much of it stems from problems from existing buildings and not newer buildings. Houston does have hurricane building standards similar to Florida, it is true for all of the Texas coast for 100 miles inland. I know that you can no longer use ballasted roofs in the City of Houston, because the ballast can be picked up and become projectiles, we had that happen at my office building on OKC in 1990. I hate using ballasted roofs anyway, to much potential for failure if the ballast moves around, I always spec a mechanically fastened or fully adhered membrane. JPMorgan Chase Tower (1,002 feet tall) was built from 78-82 so I don't know if they had hurricane rated glazing in the codes at that time. Most of the window damage was from flying debris, most curtainwall can handle 100+ mph winds but flying debris busts the panes. I know for the warehouse stuff that I have been done in the Houston area didn't require it for 1-story buildings, I do believe that everything midrise and taller requires it.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/16/2008, 07:58 AM
We got power back yesterday, but my internet is spotty. I am back at work today, so yah internet. Four days without power in Houston is the suck! We were very lucky though. Only damage we had was to trees and fences. The rest of Pearland is not so lucky.

Penguin
9/17/2008, 05:34 PM
Power is still on. Wind is still a-blowin'.

No body parts in the street. Yet.

Let the record show that at 11:43PM on Friday night, I called it.

More details soon.

colleyvillesooner
9/17/2008, 05:45 PM
:les: moar detals NOW!!!

pergdaddy
9/18/2008, 08:58 AM
I hope the details coming aren't about screwing a corpse.

Sooner Eclipse
9/21/2008, 09:52 PM
So, I FINALLY got my power back on at 5 pm today. Maybe life will get a little back to normal for my family. 9 days without power is teh suck. Its been so long that this thread was buried 4 pages back. Still more than half a million accounts w/o power.

But, I now have a/c back.:)

Life Lesson to remember -Houston without AC is a miserable experience even in september. I'm moving.

A Sooner in Texas
9/22/2008, 12:08 AM
So, I FINALLY got my power back on at 5 pm today. Maybe life will get a little back to normal for my family. 9 days without power is teh suck. Its been so long that this thread was buried 4 pages back. Still more than half a million accounts w/o power.

But, I now have a/c back.:)

Life Lesson to remember -Houston without AC is a miserable experience even in september. I'm moving.

Same here, Eclipse. Mine came on at 9:30 a.m. and I just sat up in my bed and grinned like a fool. Cable and Internet came on with no prob.
Hope all our Soonerfans in SE TX came through ok, and let's hope no one has to go through anything like this anytime soon, if ever. It's no fun whatsoever.

Sooner Eclipse
9/22/2008, 01:01 AM
Same here, Eclipse. Mine came on at 9:30 a.m. and I just sat up in my bed and grinned like a fool. Cable and Internet came on with no prob.
Hope all our Soonerfans in SE TX came through ok, and let's hope no one has to go through anything like this anytime soon, if ever. It's no fun whatsoever.

Things weren't too bad until the humidity came back several days ago. Trying to get three little kids to go to bed when they're miserable is almost impossible. Everyones nerves were getting short. I stopped today to thank an out of town crew for coming down to help. They were from Indiana. One of the younger guys was so sunburned he was red as a beet. I knew they would turn it on today cause I broke down and bought all the **** to wire the generator directly to the house.

olevetonahill
9/22/2008, 02:47 AM
I did 18 days in 2000 without Lectric
Ran My generator to keep My Fridge workin and My PC , And My TeeVee . sos I could watch # 7 Come in at the OB .:D

Penguin
9/22/2008, 10:30 AM
I'm glad you good folks have a/c now! It's starting to warm up. Highs in the 90's and the humidity is climbing!

trwxxa
9/22/2008, 03:18 PM
My power came back at 4pm Sunday. They didn't even get a crew into our neighborhood until Thursday. They were from Hattiesburg Mississippi. We kept them well fed and offered them some adult beverages to take to the hotel in the evening. They couldn't take the beverages but seemed quite grateful for the offer.

By the way, always keep a princess phone in the house. Cell service was unreliable for about three days and a cordless does not good without the juice.

TexasSooner01
9/22/2008, 03:45 PM
We got our power back on on Thursday....just 3 hours after we bought the generator. No sooner than we filled the generator up and pluged everything into it....our power came up.

We got our water back on Tuesday so we could at least bathe. We found that if we drove far enough down highway 6 there was lots of places open to eat. So that is what we did for at least one meal everyday till we got power back. I was sick of pop tarts, tuna, and peanut butter sammiches. OH and going without power is one thing but going without Coffee is another...I was so glad when our neighborhood starbucks opened back up.

I have never felt so isolated in my life...the little battery operated hand held radio was a lifesaver...

Penguin
9/22/2008, 04:24 PM
By the way, always keep a princess phone in the house. Cell service was unreliable for about three days and a cordless does not good without the juice.

Yeah, you got that right! I had to dig into some old boxes way back in my closet to find one. I'll be sure to keep it in an accessible place for next time!

LSUdeek
9/22/2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah, you got that right! I had to dig into some old boxes way back in my closet to find one. I'll be sure to keep it in an accessible place for next time!

Our phones are underground to the house, but the lines were on the same poles coming in as the power. We were phucked for Gustav each way you slice it.