PDA

View Full Version : News Flash!

cheezyq
9/8/2008, 10:15 AM
Sooners beat Cincinnati 52-26!

Sorry, reading the board I had forgotten that we had won. I just thought we needed a little reminder. :)

I'm more critical than anyone when it comes to the defense and our lack of media love, but we seriously have a lot of things to be happy about. We're #3 in the CFB, we unveiled a fearsome no huddle that had a dang good defense on its heels, we unveiled a 5 WR set that seemed to be effective, we controlled both lines of scrimmage, and we discovered a new weapon in Ryan Broyles.

Sam is clearly not going to pull a Colt McCoy and struggle as a Soph, and even though he's not on the Heisman radar, it won't be log before he is. He won't win the Heisman, but who cares about that? We didn't care all that much when Heupel didn't win and we took the MNC away from Winky.

Our kickoff coverage, as bad as it was at first, significantly improved as the game went on. I don't think that will be a problem after Stoops lays into the guys this week. The defense had some issues, but we created pressure with our front four and Travis Lewis seems to be solid at WLB. I don't think our defense will be completely solid, but I think we can mask some problems with our strength and speed up front. Personally, I don't think there's a team out there that could outscore us anyway, so the defense has to be just good enough to make a few stops per game.

The bottom line is that we throttled a good team with a very good defense. Let's enjoy it and look forward to a little Pac-10 payback this week.

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 10:19 AM
Couldn't agree more.

SoonR4Life
9/8/2008, 10:24 AM
Great post!

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 11:06 AM
I couldnt have been 52 to 26
Cause some one said in another thread we beat em By 32 LMFAO

Piware
9/8/2008, 12:11 PM
Good post! AND Duke Robinson only got one 5 yard penalty all day. :P

KantoSooner
9/8/2008, 12:17 PM
Excellent post!
Seriously, there were a lot of little things that we could obsess about, but basically it was a good showing. Cincinnati was a pretty good team and OU pretty much destroyed them.
One thing I'd like feedback on, however: they had a rushing number of around 85 yards, no? This was adjusted, I would think, for losses and sacks, etc. It did look to me like our line was pretty porous during the first half against the run. Anyone else agree?
Or was I drinking too heavily, too early, again?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/8/2008, 12:30 PM
Sooners beat Cincinnati 52-26!

Sam is clearly not going to pull a Colt McCoy and struggle as a Soph, .

because Sam is not going to get sacked 24 times in a season like McCoy did last year...may have had a little to do with Colt's struggles, I m not sure

cheezyq
9/8/2008, 01:03 PM
because Sam is not going to get sacked 24 times in a season like McCoy did last year...may have had a little to do with Colt's struggles, I m not sure

I totally agree. I just wanted to point it out as a positive, while doing so at the Whorns expense. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
9/8/2008, 01:04 PM
Ok then..carry on Cheezy:D

cheezyq
9/8/2008, 01:06 PM
Excellent post!
Seriously, there were a lot of little things that we could obsess about, but basically it was a good showing. Cincinnati was a pretty good team and OU pretty much destroyed them.
One thing I'd like feedback on, however: they had a rushing number of around 85 yards, no? This was adjusted, I would think, for losses and sacks, etc. It did look to me like our line was pretty porous during the first half against the run. Anyone else agree?
Or was I drinking too heavily, too early, again?

Well, we definitely didn't stuff everything they were doing, but there were times where we stuffed the run and times where our LBs were too far back to cause any significant penetration into the backfield. The positive is that if we don't jack around on offense like we did in the 2nd quarter, the other team won't be running the ball often enough for it to make a difference.

KantoSooner
9/8/2008, 04:52 PM
You're right, but I saw too many times where their guy would get tacked at the line and then miraculously stumble forward for another, it seemed, 3-5 yards. I was pulling my hair in clumps.

swardboy
9/8/2008, 09:24 PM
It's good to be a Sooner!

KingBarry
9/9/2008, 03:07 AM
This team looks good. This looks like a special season.

But last season, we had such trouble maintaining intensity, I am really looking forward to see how they perform in Seattle.

Lots of distractions, a long road trip, two hour time change, unfamiliar surroundings. If they put the hammer down in Seattle its lights out for the rest of the year.

ashley
9/9/2008, 07:34 AM
I like our blitzes but there will be a time when if we continue to blitz two backers and try to play the spread with five pass defenders we can get in lots of trouble.