PDA

View Full Version : Computer/tv ******* ******s

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 09:36 AM
I decided I wanted to watch movies on the internets on my tv. I bought a 7-pin s-video cable which connects to my laptop and the other end has 3 composite cables (blue, red, and green). I plug it all in, switch my tv to the right screen, but I cannot get the computers image to transfer to the tv. When I push FN + F8, the tv screen will flicker a little bit, but never changes from the black screen and the laptop never does anything. I thought it might be my laptop, but it happens on my wife's computer also.

Any ideas?

Hot Rod
9/8/2008, 09:47 AM
Does your TV have an S-video input button on the remote or on the TV?

Veritas
9/8/2008, 09:50 AM
Boomer, I went through this issue and IIRC it won't work because composite signal processing is different from S-video signal processing. S-Video to composite cables are kinda snake oil.

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 09:53 AM
Not that I know of. It is a sony rear-projection lcd and is only about a year and a half old. It has s-video ports, but there isn't a standard 5-pin to 7-pin s-video cable to connect them directly that way.

Veritas
9/8/2008, 10:00 AM
Boomer, does it have a VGA port (a blue one like for a computer monitor?). Reason I ask is that even with your S-Video cable, you're going to have to pipe the audio to the TV somehow, probably with a male-male 1/8" stereo cable.

I just bought a new Samsung and it has an S-Video port. But it looks really blurry and crappy...the VGA port looks way better, so that ended up being a better option anyway.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/8/2008, 10:07 AM
Granted, it's been years since I've messed with it, but won't higher refresh rate settings on the PC keep the TV from kickin' up a display? Or is the TV tech beyond that now?

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 10:11 AM
Boomer, does it have a VGA port (a blue one like for a computer monitor?). Reason I ask is that even with your S-Video cable, you're going to have to pipe the audio to the TV somehow, probably with a male-male 1/8" stereo cable.

I just bought a new Samsung and it has an S-Video port. But it looks really blurry and crappy...the VGA port looks way better, so that ended up being a better option anyway.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

For audio, I was going to use my surround sound. It has an aux. setting and I have a jack for it.

Hot Rod
9/8/2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I agree with Veritas if you have the VGA input instead.

Mandibleclaw
9/8/2008, 10:53 AM
S-video is so like the 90's ;)
I had to go with VGA as well, like night and day difference.

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 11:15 AM
I have HDMI hookups, but don't know how they attach to a laptop.

Mandibleclaw
9/8/2008, 11:19 AM
I have HDMI hookups, but don't know how they attach to a laptop.

Your graphics card in your laptop must have HDMI hookup to use, which to date most don't have.

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 11:23 AM
So you guys are pretty much saying that I'm screwed.

:D

Mandibleclaw
9/8/2008, 11:31 AM
So you guys are pretty much saying that I'm screwed.

:D

With your current equipment most likely, but I bought me a media center computer that had all the required equipment built into it to do what you are wanting to do.

Veritas
9/8/2008, 11:32 AM
Why don'tcha post a pic of the ports on your TV?

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 11:49 AM
Here's a link to the specs (http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/sony-kdf-55e2000/4507-6484_7-31789650.html?tag=mncol;rnav)

Here is the manual (http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDF42-46-50-55E2000.pdf)

It does have DVI, but not sure if my computer would.

Mandibleclaw
9/8/2008, 11:59 AM
On your laptop, do you have a DVI or VGA port? Of course if you have DVI then that solves that, but even if it has a VGA port you can use a VGA-to-DVI cable(most likely it would be VGA male & DVI male) for your video signal. Then connect your headphone jack to your TV audio input. This is basically how I have mine setup. :)

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 01:34 PM
I guess there is a DVI port if you buy the docking base for my laptop but nothing otherwise. I guess I will just keep watching stuff on my computer.

soonerboomer93
9/8/2008, 01:58 PM
the s-video out should convert to just the Yellow video in (atleast it did on my old dell)

s-video isn't hd so it shouldn't really convert to hd

Veritas
9/8/2008, 02:02 PM
I guess there is a DVI port if you buy the docking base for my laptop but nothing otherwise. I guess I will just keep watching stuff on my computer.
Boomer, you've got a VGA out...this here adapter will do the trick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882203020&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Audio+/+Video+Cables-_-STARTECH-_-82203020

That manual also says you'll need a DVI to HDMI adapter, found here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2080&seq=1&format=2

All that said, I don't think those connectors will work...the issue is the conversion of an analog signal (VGA) to digital (HDMI). But, it would probably only cost about $20 to try so...may as well. :)

That docking base is actually great...that's what I do with my laptop for TV watching...that way I don't have to dick around with connecting cables every time.

Boomer.....
9/8/2008, 03:19 PM
Why not just use the first adapter for my computer and use a DVI cable to connect to my tv? Would that not work?