PDA

View Full Version : OK...all y'all who've been to Hawai'i (O'ahu in particular)...

SoonerStormchaser
9/8/2008, 08:39 AM
I'm kidnapping my wife next weekend (September 19-22), we're spending 24 hours in Honolulu as part of the trip (got a sweet *** deal on it for $300 r/t).

I haven't been to Hawai'i since 1992 when my family was moving from Japan back to Ohio...so I'm wondering, besides the obvious attractions (Arizona memorial, Diamond Head, etc.), anyone have recommendations on dining/attractions/etc?

TIA.

p.s. We're also going to Portland and San Fran...but I've already got those covered.

Okla-homey
9/8/2008, 08:41 AM
I still think you must be selling crack to afford all this travel. When I was a two-let, I could barely afford to pay attentioon, and my wife was making more than me to boot.

Hot Rod
9/8/2008, 08:49 AM
Me and the Mrs. spent a day in Honolulu. It's a pretty busy city, especially the area near Waikiki. We had an early flight there, like 7am, then went over to Pearl Harbor, drove to the Dole Plantation, and cruised up to the north part of the island and came back to Honolulu and grabbed some dinner.

Is Oahu the only island you are visiting?

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 08:54 AM
Both My sons are there Now , Been there for a coupla months or so . Ill peem ya their digits.

SoonerStormchaser
9/8/2008, 08:57 AM
I still think you must be selling crack to afford all this travel. When I was a two-let, I could barely afford to pay attention, and my wife was making more than me to boot.

Well, since our personal expenditures have gone down considerably since my wife's ex finally was forced to pony up child support of my stepdaughter, and since my wife got a fat raise (and me too for that matter at the 2 year TIS mark), I put pencil to paper and figured out we could make this a go.

And I lucked into some kickass deals on airfare for this entire trip: both of us OKC-SLC-PDX-HNL-SFO-PHX-OKC for $325 each. And military discounts at the hotels kickass too...got the Hyatt Waikiki for $105 and the Grand Hyatt San Fran (the one featured in "High Anxiety") for $130.

mikeelikee
9/8/2008, 09:49 AM
Definitely go up to the North Shore. Some of the best views are there, they've got great shave-ice, and that's where the big waves come in for world-class surfing, when it's the right time of year.

Obviously, do the Pearl Harbor thing--very moving.

proud gonzo
9/8/2008, 10:18 AM
I spent 10 days there with Iggy (who was my boyfriend at the time-- now my ex) and his family. He grew up there, since he was four.

Dinner at Michel's on Waikiki beach is wonderful. AMAZING view of the sunset while you have dinner.

I'd highly recommend a hike to Maunawili Falls. Beautiful trail and waterfall. Of all the things I did and saw while I was there, this is the one thing I'd definitely do again. I think we saw three other people the entire time, after we reached the Falls. Aside from getting about 30 mosquito bites when I decided to take a detour from the trail and climb up a big hill, it was a fantastic afternoon.

SoonerStormchaser
9/8/2008, 10:26 AM
Hale Koa was booked solid that weekend, that's why I grabbed the Hyatt.

Thanks PG...I'm looking into Michels right now...

proud gonzo
9/8/2008, 11:22 AM
Diamondhead is also a lot of fun, but it IS on the dry side of the island, so it's not as pretty a hike as Maunawili. the view from the top IS incredible, though.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/8/2008, 11:23 AM
Stay away from Waikiki. Too many Japanese tourists at the main beach. The W down by Diamond Head on the other hand is Primo! and it is quiet. The restaurant is great as well.

Go to Hilo Hatties for souvenirs.

salth2o
9/8/2008, 11:24 AM
I have been to Hono 5 times. I would skip the Pali lookout, it is really windy and the view is ok. If you only there 24 hrs..skip it. The only time it was worth the trip there was when the wind kept blowing this hotties dress up over her head.

Dukes is on the beach at the Outirigger Hotel and is a nice place to eat. Their Lava Flow is a great drink.

I am a WWII buff, so I think Pearl Harbor is well worth the time.

Depending on what day you are there, the flea market at Aloha Stadium is the best place to get souvenirs.

I second the Maunawili Falls hike.

The big waves wont be at the Northshore until later in the year, but if you want to swim...at Waimea Bay there is Chicken Rock and it's about 30 feet high and you can jump off of it. Lots of fun, if you are a thrill seeker.

If for nothing else but this, you must stop at Dole Plantation and get a pineapple whip. Every time I go I get two...they are the best!

Aloha

Hot Rod
9/8/2008, 11:27 AM
If for nothing else but this, you must stop at Dole Plantation and get a pineapple whip. Every time I go I get two...they are the best!

Those are good! Plus, we got some extra 'apples for home as well.

proud gonzo
9/8/2008, 11:42 AM
I have been to Hono 5 times. I would skip the Pali lookout, it is really windy and the view is ok. If you only there 24 hrs..skip it. The only time it was worth the trip there was when the wind kept blowing this hotties dress up over her head.

Depending on what day you are there, the flea market at Aloha Stadium is the best place to get souvenirs.

I agree about the Pali lookout. It was rainy and cold when I got there and I couldn't see anything. There are good views elsewhere.

I agree about Aloha Stadium--they call it "swap meet". And I'm thinking it's saturday mornings or something... can't remember.

I agree about the Dole plantation also. If you're up on the north shore, get yourself some pineapple icecreamy-type goodness. Tastiest stuff ever. Oh, and if you have a spare hand on your way back, buy a box of fresh pineapple at the airport when you leave. You won't regret it.

SoonerStormchaser
9/8/2008, 03:03 PM
I did Diamondhead and Pearl Harbor sixteen years ago...they were both ok, and we're gonna skip em this time.

Thanks for the tip on the Dole plantation and the falls, I'll look into them.

PG, the restaurant looks good...but there's no prices on the menu...and it's FRENCH food.

Off to my sortie...time to step to the jet...

proud gonzo
9/8/2008, 03:20 PM
I did Diamondhead and Pearl Harbor sixteen years ago...they were both ok, and we're gonna skip em this time.

Thanks for the tip on the Dole plantation and the falls, I'll look into them.

PG, the restaurant looks good...but there's no prices on the menu...and it's FRENCH food.

Off to my sortie...time to step to the jet...well, it's been about three years, but when I went the bill for 2 was about $100 (with no wine or alcohol). I think it was $35 or so for my steak (which was definitely one of the top 3 steaks I've ever had). For the meal, service, atmosphere, and view, I thought it was well worth the price.

StoopTroup
9/8/2008, 05:03 PM
Sunset Beach on the north shore...watch the sun go down.

The Dole Planatation is good.

I had a great time boogie boarding on the North Shore.

If you aren't a good swimmer or panic easy...don't do it IMO.

You might get a drink at the Hard Rock there but avoid the food IMO.

The bar is pretty cool for a Commercial Restaurant.

We rented a car for a day and just drove up the West Coast to this Shrimp Farm and at the time there was a stand / hut that you could get fried shrimp. It was very good. IMO. We drove up as far as we could go that day and turned around and went for a walk on Waikiki Beach before heading back to our accommodations.

Gonzo hit it on the nose about the Waterfall. I wished we had know about it when we went there. We were told about it when we got home.

Hanauma Bay Park is cool too IMO.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html (http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html)

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2008, 06:15 PM
SSC, I retired at Pearl Harbor and lived Kama'aina for three years. This sounds rather unbelievable but one of the best and romantic restaurants on the entire island of O'ahu is called Sea Breeze. It is one of the very few restaurants actually located on the beach on the island, most are back behind a boardwalk/sidewalk.

Anyway, the amazing thing about Sea Breeze is: it is on Hickam. It is AF run and if you were dropped in with a blindfold, you would no way believe me. Incredible food, great menu with seafood, local and even King Crab...right on the beach at Hickam Harbor, a beautiful sunset...unbelievably blue water (hammerhead shark spawning grounds, yes, you can see them) and Diamond Head to the east.

Trust me SSC, when you do your driveabout of Hickam, head out around the south side of the flightline and check this place out. You won't be disappointed.

Aloha.

Okla-homey
9/8/2008, 07:03 PM
And you better dang well pay your respects at the brand-new USS Oklahoma Memorial.

Sooner98
9/8/2008, 07:06 PM
Pretty good advice from everyone. The most spectacular view I saw while on Oahu (other than the Honolulu skyline on the top of Diamond Head) was a place called Makapuu Point, on the far southeastern tip of the island. It might not be the best thing for a one-day trip, though, since it's a bit of a hike when you get there (45 minutes or so, one way), and it's kind of a strenuous walk (uphill the whole way):

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jhilldds/Hawaii%20Trip/Hawaiitrip-March05055.jpg

If you're going to the north shore, you might check out the Waimea Valley Adventure Park - a cool little nature-themed park, with lots of wildlife hanging around, lots of shade, and an easy hike with a waterfall at the end:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jhilldds/Hawaii%20Trip/Hawaiitrip-March05116.jpg

Scott D
9/8/2008, 09:03 PM
You? go to the Hamburger Grill alone. Leave the Mrs. on the beach. My boys will be over to visit while you're gone ;)

proud gonzo
9/8/2008, 09:26 PM
Hanauma bay is nice, but crowded.

salth2o
9/8/2008, 10:03 PM
SSC, I retired at Pearl Harbor and lived Kama'aina for three years. This sounds rather unbelievable but one of the best and romantic restaurants on the entire island of O'ahu is called Sea Breeze. It is one of the very few restaurants actually located on the beach on the island, most are back behind a boardwalk/sidewalk.

Anyway, the amazing thing about Sea Breeze is: it is on Hickam. It is AF run and if you were dropped in with a blindfold, you would no way believe me. Incredible food, great menu with seafood, local and even King Crab...right on the beach at Hickam Harbor, a beautiful sunset...unbelievably blue water (hammerhead shark spawning grounds, yes, you can see them) and Diamond Head to the east.

Trust me SSC, when you do your driveabout of Hickam, head out around the south side of the flightline and check this place out. You won't be disappointed.

Aloha.

This may be a stupid question, but do you have to be military to go to Sea Breeze? If not, I will definitely make a stop there next summer.

SoonerStormchaser
9/9/2008, 06:46 AM
You? go to the Hamburger Grill alone. Leave the Mrs. on the beach. My boys will be over to visit while you're gone ;)

I'm sure they will...and I know she'll castrate them with her walker if they try anything fancy!

SoonerStormchaser
9/9/2008, 03:17 PM
And to answer your question Salth2o...no military ID...no get on base.

Scott D
9/9/2008, 05:37 PM
I'm sure they will...and I know she'll castrate them with her walker if they try anything fancy!

she might get friendly with them once she learns you went to the Hamburger Grille.

SoonerStormchaser
9/9/2008, 07:08 PM
Oh and I checked that one restaurant at Hickam...it had a kitchen fire and burned a bit...so it's closed.

We also changed hotels to the ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Hotel...better rate...ocean view room with big *** lanai...cheaper parking (the Hyatt wanted $40 per day), and they throw in this picnic breakfast for you to take on the beach.

I'll keep the Dole plantation thingy on the back burner as an option...but I think Carolyn's gonna wanna stay on the beach.

proud gonzo
9/9/2008, 07:40 PM
it's a bit of a drive to the dole plantation. if I only had one day, I'd probably stay on the beach or do a nice hike.

Hot Rod
9/9/2008, 11:13 PM
I'll keep the Dole plantation thingy on the back burner as an option...but I think Carolyn's gonna wanna stay on the beach.

Wear plenty of suntan lotion dude. You can get burnt easily out there and from not even being out in the sun that long. Just letting ya know, so your fingers aren't too fried to share your experiences when you return home. :D