PDA

View Full Version : Ummm, Ike...are you 100% sure we're not all about to die?

JohnnyMack
9/7/2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,418204,00.html

Fear Looms Over Scientist's Experiment to Uncover Secrets of 'Big Bang'

Sunday, September 07, 2008

A British physicist has claimed he can explain the secrets of the Big Bang Theory, but his controversial experiment has scientists believing he could bring about the end of the world, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reported.

For centuries, scientists have sought unsuccessfully to unlock the secrets of the Big Bang Theory — a model explaining the birth of the universe. But 63-year-old Dr. Lyn Evans of Aberdare, England, popularly known as "Evans the Atom," claims to know the answers, and will test his experiment on Wednesday by using a 17-mile-long doughnut-shaped tunnel that will smash sub-atomic particles together at the speed of light, the Mail reported.

Evans' ambitions, however, have brought widespread concern among scientists who say the experiment could create a shower of unstable black holes inside the Earth, and subsequently bring destruction to the planet.

"Nothing will happen for at least four years," retired German Otto Rossler told the Mail. "Then someone will spot a light ray coming out of the Indian Ocean during the night and no one will be able to explain it."

Sooner24
9/7/2008, 10:02 PM
Then I guess it really doesn't matter who gets elected in Nov.

GottaHavePride
9/7/2008, 10:03 PM
Wait, a "retired German"? What the hell?

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 10:10 PM
They were growing shrooms for awhile in the part of the Superconducting Super Collider Laboratory (http://www.hep.net/ssc/) that was built under Waxahacie, Texas before funding was cut.

olevetonahill
9/7/2008, 10:13 PM
Then I guess it really doesn't matter who gets elected in Nov.

Well he did say Nothing would happen for 4 years so there is that.:eek:

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 10:16 PM
Well he did say Nothing would happen for 4 years so there is that.:eek:

So if I can make it four years I should just quit work and wait for the end? Cool, I was looking for a reason. ;)

RacerX
9/7/2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.comictreadmill.com/CTMBlogarchives/2006Images/workingantlogo1.gif

olevetonahill
9/7/2008, 10:20 PM
So if I can make it four years I should just quit work and wait for the end? Cool, I was looking for a reason. ;)

Naw Id say just get as Big a Home loan as you can Get as many CCs as you Can. Quit work Now and Party till the end .;)

Mixer!
9/7/2008, 10:20 PM
Hmmm...that Mayan calendar thing makes perfect sense now.

:pop:

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 10:22 PM
Naw Id say just get as Big a Home loan as you can Get as many CCs as you Can. Quit work Now and Party till the end .;)

Posts like this are why you are the wise man of the board, it's genius. :D

proud gonzo
9/7/2008, 10:24 PM
Wait, a "retired German"? What the hell? NOT head of Gestapo AT ALL! I was not, I make joke!

olevetonahill
9/7/2008, 10:28 PM
Posts like this are why you are the wise man of the board, it's genius. :D

You Younguns need someone to Help guide you .:cool:

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 10:40 PM
I dreamed this would happen ;)

Ha.

Vaevictis
9/7/2008, 10:41 PM
Wait, a "retired German"? What the hell?

Can't... stop... laughing.

Shamwow! It's made by Germans, so you know it's good!

Ike
9/7/2008, 11:44 PM
I don't think I would characterize the "concern" about the LHC as "widespread" among scientists. Unless we are working with a very liberal definition of the word "widespread".

I'll bet my life that this won't bring about the end of the world. ;)

proud gonzo
9/7/2008, 11:50 PM
I dunno, if we all go out because somebody creates a bunch of black holes inside the earth and destroys the planet, I think I'm kind of okay with that.

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 12:02 AM
I don't think I would characterize the "concern" about the LHC as "widespread" among scientists. Unless we are working with a very liberal definition of the word "widespread".

I'll bet my life that this won't bring about the end of the world. ;)

You are willing to Bet yours But leave Mine outa it :P

Ike
9/8/2008, 12:08 AM
heh.

Look, not long ago, CERN completed their 2nd "safety study" on this thing, and it was VERY VERY thurough...going through every single possible reason that the earth may be destroyed (or even harmed a teensy bit) by this thing. Even the wackado reasons that nobody has any reason to think might exist. Anyway, the long and short of it was this:

If the LHC could destroy the earth, we wouldn't be here. Mother nature has had plenty of time to do it with all the high energy cosmic rays we get blasted with all the time. If she hasn't found a way to kill us with that stuff, theres no way that we will.

Of course they went into much more technical detail than that, but that was pretty much the answer.

If you want to look it up, this report has been released to the public and should be available on the web.

proud gonzo
9/8/2008, 12:24 AM
Congratulations, you just made science boring again. Thanks a lot, Ike.

Penguin
9/8/2008, 12:31 AM
Day 1: God created light.
Day 6: God created man.
Day 7: God rested.
Day 8: Man created light.

Ike
9/8/2008, 12:34 AM
Congratulations, you just made science boring again. Thanks a lot, Ike.

sorry...but it has to be that way, you know. When it comes to science, most people have one of two reactions:

a) "science is hard. And boring. Let's ignore it"

b) "zOMG! SCIENCE IS GOING TO KILL US ALL!!!!!" RUN!"

Most scientists prefer the former to the latter. Because, while some of would probably like to put us all out of our misery at once, really, we just want to be left alone to do some science. And we'd have a hard time doing that anymore if we destroyed the planet.

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 12:37 AM
hey Bro If it ever looks like that things gonna wipe us out will you let me know a lil in advance ?
there are a few folks Id like to Take out 1st
TIA

Tulsa_Fireman
9/8/2008, 12:38 AM
Day 9: Man created beer.
Day 10: Man went fishing.
Days 11-16: Man discovered sunburn, hangovers, beef jerky, and sand bass.

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 12:43 AM
Day 9: Man created beer.
Day 10: Man went fishing.
Days 11-16: Man discovered sunburn, hangovers, beef jerky, and sand bass.

Day 17: god made woman and it all went to hell.:D

Fraggle145
9/8/2008, 01:23 AM
sorry...but it has to be that way, you know. When it comes to science, most people have one of two reactions:

a) "science is hard. And boring. Let's ignore it"

b) "zOMG! SCIENCE IS GOING TO KILL US ALL!!!!!" RUN!"

Most scientists prefer the former to the latter. Because, while some of would probably like to put us all out of our misery at once, really, we just want to be left alone to do some science. And we'd have a hard time doing that anymore if we destroyed the planet.

Well at least when its the former they finally believe us ;)

Day 18: Scientist drinks beer. We're really ****ed now.:eek: