PDA

View Full Version : Kickoffs

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 03:54 PM
As we all know Mooreland isnt the best kicker we have ever had.

If Tress can truly kick it for touchbacks every time then I think that we should burn his redshirt and let him play, I mean it would help us A LOT if we are striving for a National Championship this year.

What do you guys think?

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 03:57 PM
Another idea is to do what Florida is doing and make the players WANT to make the special teams squad. Getting to eat first, the best bowl gifts, etc.

I'm just throwing out ideas.

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 03:58 PM
Let's hope it was a fluke that never happens again.

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 04:14 PM
Let's hope it was a fluke that never happens again.

Sadly, I don't think it was. :(

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2008, 04:32 PM
If Way has the better leg then why isn't he doing the kickoffs? Surely the coaches know more then we do :)

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 04:40 PM
If Way has the better leg then why isn't he doing the kickoffs? Surely the coaches know more then we do :)

True.

All the info that I have gotten points to Tress being able to kick it out of the endzone every time. He did when my school played them.

MojoRisen
9/7/2008, 05:05 PM
I would go ahead and play him if that is the case..

Getem
9/7/2008, 05:08 PM
mmm, I dunno... what was the shortest kick? To the 10? Seems like the coverage is the bigger problem.

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 05:08 PM
mmm, I dunno... what was the shortest kick? To the 10? Seems like the coverage is the bigger problem.

I'm pretty sure it was more like the 15.

Coverage was horrible though.

Rogue
9/7/2008, 05:15 PM
A good point. Coverage needs to improve, but is much less of a factor if most of the KOs are touchbacks. A kicker that can boot KOs out of the EZ is a great weapon to have.

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2008, 06:52 PM
True.

All the info that I have gotten points to Tress being able to kick it out of the endzone every time. He did when my school played them.

College kickoffs are at least 5 yards further back than HS, plus in HS if you just roll it in the end zone it's an automatic touchback; IF Way could put it in the end zone consistently i'm assuming he would have been kicking the first 2 games.

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 06:54 PM
College kickoffs are at least 5 yards further back than HS, plus in HS if you just roll it in the end zone it's an automatic touchback; IF Way could put it in the end zone consistently i'm assuming he would have been kicking the first 2 games.

He didn't roll it in, it landed in the endzone.

I'm sure he has improved five yards since high school.

GottaHavePride
9/7/2008, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure it was more like the 15.

Coverage was horrible though.

Yeah, not to pull a Mack Brown, but the wind was pretty strong Saturday. Everyone has a bad kick now and then; when it happens into a 20 mph wind, well...

Coverage is by far the biggest issue. All those kickoff returns SHOULD have been stopped at about the 25 yard line, and our guys blew the tackles.

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, not to pull a Mack Brown, but the wind was pretty strong Saturday. Everyone has a bad kick now and then; when it happens into a 20 mph wind, well...

Coverage is by far the biggest issue. All those kickoff returns SHOULD have been stopped at about the 25 yard line, and our guys blew the tackles.

If the wind really was 20mph then I could understand.

GottaHavePride
9/7/2008, 08:25 PM
I wasn't there, but the announcers kept commenting how strong the wind was on Saturday.

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2008, 09:24 PM
He didn't roll it in, it landed in the endzone.

I'm sure he has improved five yards since high school.

Again, i'm sure the coaches are putting out the best they think they have at this moment; we all know they won't hesitate to pull the redshirt on Way if they think they need to

Crimsontothecore
9/7/2008, 09:44 PM
Ok, that's just the kind of illogical thinking that pi**** me off. We wouldn't be on this message board if we weren't smarter than those coaches!;)

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 09:48 PM
Again, i'm sure the coaches are putting out the best they think they have at this moment; we all know they won't hesitate to pull the redshirt on Way if they think they need to

Haha :texan:

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 09:54 PM
I wish we would kick it through the goal post everytime, and not return punts at all, ever. Unless we can catch it at the 50. I hold my breath every time we receive a punt.