PDA

View Full Version : 2-0 Whorns haven't looked impressive yet

Jacie
9/7/2008, 10:25 AM
FAU and UTEP hung with them for three quarters. While the final score against the Miners looked good, it was inflated by a 4th quarter fumble return for a TD.

This is the mark of many dominant teams, play just well enough to let your superior athleticism and depth wear out the lesser teams instead of putting them away from the start. We've seen this even from OUr own team at times and some years it is a strategy that works . . . until your guys run into an underdog that plays the game of their lives and puts a big "L" in your won-loss column (It almost happened to tOSU yesterday). Mack Brown in particular is a coach who has employed this tactic and it led to a lot of close games last year (Three times the underdog opponent was onside kicking at the end to get the possession that would win or tie the game). Where this really comes back to bite a coach/team is when they play the teams on par with them and are games they usually lose.

Against FAU they gave up some huge third down plays in the first half. The same thing happened against UTEP. The saxet secondary has been exploited in obvious passing situations. Sooner fans should be salivating at the thought of what Bradford & his receiving corp can do in Dallas this year.

McCoy's numbers are comparable to Bradford's this year. Statistically it looks like they rely on their passing offence. The difference on the series I've watched are that when the whorns needed to move the ball (Second half and the score is still close), they went with the running game. Their line can create lanes for RB's against smaller D-lines. The switch from relying on their O-line instead of Colt is because the saxet receivers have a proclivity of dropping crucial (i.e. third down) passes. This is another area then where tendencies can get them beat. They have to run because the passing game has not been reliable in pressure situations.

StoopTroup
9/7/2008, 10:30 AM
Proclivity? :D

Just say they suck.

badger
9/7/2008, 10:32 AM
They'll be tough. Underestimating them would be unwise. If our offense continues to throw up points whenever it wants to, I wouldn't worry, though.

Flagstaffsooner
9/7/2008, 10:40 AM
Texass sucks, colt is a fag.

sooner59
9/7/2008, 11:18 AM

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner!

StormySooner-IN
9/7/2008, 12:02 PM
Texass sucks, colt is a fag.:D

TJKDone
9/7/2008, 12:03 PM
Cinci was closer longer with you guys than UTEP was with us. You guys were at home, we were on the road, their biggest home crowd ever. Some billed the game their biggest in History.

Not that FAU is a power, but they were a bit bigger test than the Div I-AA team that was 2-10 last year that you played. Honestly, our game against FAU wasn't close for 3 quarters as you've said.

We have 2 frosh starting in the secondary that have made their mistakes, but their plays as well. They are very young but getting better every snap. Mike Price isn't a dummy when it comes to throwing the ball. Their returing QB had a good year last year, bad first game this year, but he isn't bad.

We have tough games for two of the next three weeks. Petrino is probably the best offensive mind in all of college football and Colorado has improved every year under Hawkins. I don't have to tell you how tough they can be at their place.

If we are undefeated, a big if, then I think we will be formidable for you. In any case we will be big under-dogs.

Hook'em

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2008, 12:26 PM
Cinci was closer longer with you guys than UTEP was with us. You guys were at home, we were on the road, their biggest home crowd ever. Some billed the game their biggest in History.

Not that FAU is a power, but they were a bit bigger test than the Div I-AA team that was 2-10 last year that you played. Honestly, our game against FAU wasn't close for 3 quarters as you've said.

We have 2 frosh starting in the secondary that have made their mistakes, but their plays as well. They are very young but getting better every snap. Mike Price isn't a dummy when it comes to throwing the ball. Their returing QB had a good year last year, bad first game this year, but he isn't bad.

We have tough games for two of the next three weeks. Petrino is probably the best offensive mind in all of college football and Colorado has improved every year under Hawkins. I don't have to tell you how tough they can be at their place.

If we are undefeated, a big if, then I think we will be formidable for you. In any case we will be big under-dogs.

Hook'em

Cincy would wax the floor with UTEP no matter where the game was played

auto
9/7/2008, 12:31 PM

Ain't no lie there. Funny to read the whorn boards about how OU didn't look good, was falling apart, Sam in a sophomore slump, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I hope we hang 60 pts on those azzclowns.:D

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 12:33 PM

Cincy also would have beat Miami

bringit
9/7/2008, 01:17 PM
I'll take our offense vs the texas D right now.

OU by 2 TDs

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 01:18 PM
I'll take our offense vs the texas D right now.

OU by 2 TDs

tommieharris91
9/7/2008, 01:24 PM
Ain't no lie there. Funny to read the whorn boards about how OU didn't look good, was falling apart, Sam in a sophomore slump, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I hope we hang 60 pts on those azzclowns.:D

It must be like reading our boards. :rolleyes:

85sooners
9/7/2008, 02:09 PM
Texass sucks, colt is a fag.:texan: :D

47straight
9/7/2008, 03:57 PM
The whorn actually made a few good points. Their secondary is the only thing that hasn't really looked that great. Their O-line is coming along pretty good. Their new backs look comprable to the likes of Chris Brown.

but he's wrong about UTEP. They didn't really beat UTEP until they just started pounding the ball, and UTEP is on a big slide, though better this year. Cincy didn't do squat in our second half.

josh09
9/7/2008, 05:34 PM

Hahaha thats pretty much it. :D

We were SUPPOSED to beat them by more than we did last year, so lets hope we actually do that this year.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/7/2008, 06:04 PM
Is anybody really looking at the fact that UTEP got drummed by perennial loser Buffalo last weekend?

AllAboutThe'O'
9/7/2008, 10:35 PM
As an Arkansas fan, I hope the Razorbacks can be at least competitive enough to give the Longhorns a game on Saturday.
And as a Sooner fan, I hope the Hogs at least soften them up so that we can go in for the kill come RRS time in Big D.

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 10:37 PM
As an Arkansas fan, I hope the Razorbacks can be at least competitive enough to give the Longhorns a game on Saturday.
And as a Sooner fan, I hope the Hogs at least soften them up so that we can go in for the kill come RRS time in Big D.

I hope they kick the **** out of them :D

royalfan5
9/7/2008, 10:39 PM
Is anybody really looking at the fact that UTEP got drummed by perennial loser Buffalo last weekend?
Buffalo isn't the easy out they used to be now that Turner Gill is there.

BudSooner
9/7/2008, 10:44 PM
We have 2 frosh starting in the secondary that have made their mistakes, but their plays as well. They are very young but getting better every snap. Mike Price isn't a dummy when it comes to tipping strippers.

We have tough games for two of the next three weeks. Petrino is probably the biggest thug recruiter outside Miami in all of college football and shaped the 'Ville before that Kraggy character came along and started trying to clean it up.

If we are undefeated, a big if, then I think we will be a limp wristed nancy for you. In any case we will be 26pt under-dogs.

Book'em

:D

AllAboutThe'O'
9/7/2008, 10:45 PM
I hope they kick the **** out of them :D

That would indeed rule.:D

utex74
9/7/2008, 11:53 PM
Against FAU they gave up some huge third down plays in the first half. The same thing happened against UTEP. The saxet secondary has been exploited in obvious passing situations. Sooner fans should be salivating at the thought of what Bradford & his receiving corp can do in Dallas this year..

I hope the guys get burned every way they can now when we are in games we are going to win anyway. We have five safeties and all are freshmen. Getting owned in games will season them quickly if they are going to season.

soonermagicgirl
9/8/2008, 08:30 AM
This is a little early but you should be prepared..

If anyone is going down to the OU UT game in Dallas and traveling through Norman.......You will need to leave EARLY!

There is construction which is down to 1 lane heading southbound for Dallas. It is near the GOLDSBY EXIT all the way to the PURCELL exit.

They do not expect to have the construction completed before the BIG GAME.

It gets backed up now so can you imagine when the game rolls around.

So be prepared to be stopped in traffic for ALONG TIME or leave thursday night/ friday morning EARLY.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/8/2008, 08:45 AM
This is a little early but you should be prepared..

If anyone is going down to the OU UT game in Dallas and traveling through Norman.......You will need to leave EARLY!

There is construction which is down to 1 lane heading southbound for Dallas. It is near the GOLDSBY EXIT all the way to the PURCELL exit.

They do not expect to have the construction completed before the BIG GAME.

It gets backed up now so can you imagine when the game rolls around.

So be prepared to be stopped in traffic for ALONG TIME or leave thursday night/ friday morning EARLY.

They usually get everything back to two lanes during the weekend of the game. Usually being the key word.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2008, 09:25 AM
We're pretty much what I thought we'd be this year....

On defense, so incredibly young DBs. Earl Thomas, No. 12, has been burned several times, has made a number of missed tackles and misreads... freshman mistakes. Gideon looks like a gamer. The DBs as a whole are much more athletic than last year. Still a huge weakness which will be exploited by Bradford and Mizzou.

Linebackers much faster and have adjusted well with the new defense.

Defensive line up to this point has been solid but not spectacular.

Fozzy is a potential game breaker.. still not 100% yet because of the injured knee... he hits the hole hard. McGee is serviceable.

Offensive line looks to be coming together very well. Tanner missed UTEP with a bum knee.. but depth and athleticism is very good.

WR.. except for Cosby and Shipley (who both have great hands).. is extremely young.. all FR or redshirt FR. Buckner is big...

Colt in game 1.. very poised, very good. Colt in game 2.. poised and good (except for mid 2nd Q through mid 3rd Q).

We're still very much a 2 to 3 loss team because of the youth. I expect us to lose to OU and to either Mizz or Tech). But a fun year watching this very young team continue to grow and develop.

Oh.. and congrats on the good win over Cincy.

badger
9/8/2008, 09:50 AM

You make it very difficult to hate the whorn with your cordiality and your sportsmanship and your compliments. :mad:

;) Oh, and your lack of disillusionment that characterizes rivals. You think you're going to lose... we all think you're going to lose, too :P But, you're a whorn, man.

:les: START ACTING LIKE ONE! [hairGel]

47straight
9/8/2008, 01:15 PM
We're pretty much what I thought we'd be this year....

On defense, so incredibly young DBs. Earl Thomas, No. 12, has been burned several times, has made a number of missed tackles and misreads... freshman mistakes. Gideon looks like a gamer. The DBs as a whole are much more athletic than last year. Still a huge weakness which will be exploited by Bradford and Mizzou.

Linebackers much faster and have adjusted well with the new defense.

Defensive line up to this point has been solid but not spectacular.

Fozzy is a potential game breaker.. still not 100% yet because of the injured knee... he hits the hole hard. McGee is serviceable.

Offensive line looks to be coming together very well. Tanner missed UTEP with a bum knee.. but depth and athleticism is very good.

WR.. except for Cosby and Shipley (who both have great hands).. is extremely young.. all FR or redshirt FR. Buckner is big...

Colt in game 1.. very poised, very good. Colt in game 2.. poised and good (except for mid 2nd Q through mid 3rd Q).

We're still very much a 2 to 3 loss team because of the youth. I expect us to lose to OU and to either Mizz or Tech). But a fun year watching this very young team continue to grow and develop.

Do you really see Fozzy as a game-breaker? I see him more as an El Ced type back (but better), but I've only seen 1 game of his.

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 01:24 PM
You make it very difficult to hate the whorn with your cordiality and your sportsmanship and your compliments. :mad:

;) Oh, and your lack of disillusionment that characterizes rivals. You think you're going to lose... we all think you're going to lose, too :P But, you're a whorn, man.

:les: START ACTING LIKE ONE! [hairGel]

I still Neg him every chance I get :D

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2008, 02:18 PM
Do you really see Fozzy as a game-breaker? I see him more as an El Ced type back (but better), but I've only seen 1 game of his.

He has the potential.. whether he will live up to that potential remains to be seen.. granted, he doesn't have the straight away speed that J. Charles had.. but appears to be elusive.. too early to tell.

On the other hand.. he may just be keeping the position warm until Chris Whaley gets on campus next year.

Piware
9/8/2008, 02:45 PM
They usually get everything back to two lanes during the weekend of the game. Usually being the key word.

If God has wanted me to sit in traffic for 4 hours, he wouldn't have invented airplanes.

bringit
9/8/2008, 09:39 PM
Buffalo isn't the easy out they used to be now that Turner Gill is there.

Turner Gill blah blah blah--they're STILL frickin Buffalo. Lets rehash this after the MO game.

MiccoMacey
9/8/2008, 10:00 PM
By then Buffalo will have four more wins.

They also aren't STILL freakin' Buffalo.

They were 5-7 last year and return a snootful this year and next.

They won't be major players, but they'll see a bowl for two years minimum.