PDA

View Full Version : why?

Collier11
9/7/2008, 09:10 AM
why do we always wait til halftime to make "adjustments", it is obvious that BV makes great ht adjustments and we went on and played Great D in the 2nd half just like OU/tx last yr and so on...can we not make these adjustments during the game?

Please dont turn this into a BV thread, I was just wondering if there is a reason that we wait til HT.

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2008, 10:05 AM
I have watched many games where adjustments are made at halftime. Last nights miami florida game for example. I just think its hard for college kids to to actually understand what their coaches are saying until they are away from the action. Plus, venerables says that cincinnati showed some formations that we had not prepared for.

Collier11
9/7/2008, 10:24 AM
He is a master at HT adjustments, I know that

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 11:21 AM
Much better than Coach Obelisk and his "we don't need to make adjustments" attitude....

sooner59
9/7/2008, 11:27 AM
Im just glad that we do make HT adjustments and not wait until Sunday during film.

bri
9/7/2008, 11:42 AM
why do we always wait til halftime to make "adjustments", it is obvious that BV makes great ht adjustments and we went on and played Great D in the 2nd half just like OU/tx last yr and so on...can we not make these adjustments during the game?

Please dont turn this into a BV thread, I was just wondering if there is a reason that we wait til HT.

Because that's what halftime is for?

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 12:05 PM
We obviously have to get better then what we are right now. Shoot every team in the league has to get better. There are some teams that make adjustments and some that wont.

GottaHavePride
9/7/2008, 12:05 PM
Adjustments can't fix sloppy execution?

Collier11
9/7/2008, 12:55 PM
Because that's what halftime is for?

as usual you are missing the point, what I am asking is why does it take us so long to make those adjustments, why arent they being made once the problems arise?

My Opinion Matters
9/7/2008, 12:57 PM
as usual you are missing the point, what I am asking is why does it take us so long to make those adjustments, why arent they being made once the problems arise?

Because it takes 2 quarters to get to halftime? :confused:

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 01:01 PM
:pop:

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 01:07 PM
There are probably minor adjustments happening during the game, but you really don't have the time to apply anything major until halftime when you have time to sit down and go through them in detail. By halftime, the different position coaches probably have time to discuss what they think their particular discipline adjustments are and what potential impact on the other disciplines might be. For example, if you make a major adjustment to the linebackers, it could have a significant negative impact on the others and you could be in worse shape than before. Since the players do not have the practice time of the pros, you can't just overload them with adjustments because it might make the entire defense breakdown.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2008, 01:12 PM

I agree with the poster that said the kids can only absorb so much. Adjustments have to be made in the context of what is broke *and* what is working. Hastily fixing one hole may open 4 others that weren't there before. Also, changing a game plan that took a week to install during an offensive possession time may just confuse the players and make them hesitant on what to do. Having said all that, I'm sure they do make small "safe" adjustments on the sidelines. It's the same issue for both teams although teams with more senior leadership have the advantage here.

This would be a great interview topic for BV or KW.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2008, 02:20 PM
I think the adjustments with the defense had a littleto do with the offensive adjustment from trying to score in 2 minutes to driving the ball and keeping it out of their hands..it took cincy out of there rhythm and it kept the D off the field

olevetonahill
9/7/2008, 02:37 PM
It seems Most posters get it. Its a Time thing and The 1/2 break gives em time to splane it to the Kids.

Collier11
9/7/2008, 03:15 PM
It seems Most posters get it. Its a Time thing and The 1/2 break gives em time to splane it to the Kids.

makes sense, I never really thought about it like that

badger
9/7/2008, 03:20 PM
I think it would be fair to say that every time is a good time for an adjustment.
(cue picture of Pete Carroll - yes, that picture)

Seriously though, we are obviously successful with what we are doing now, so if it ain't broke... don't, um, adjust it? :)