PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Broyles

The Maestro
9/7/2008, 08:30 AM
I haven't seen a thread totally dedicated to him, but his debut is worthy of a mention. I normally hate when people say, "He's the next _________ (insert former great player here)!" So when people said he is the next Mark Clayton I decided to wait until after I saw him in action.

Well.

He IS the next Mark Clayton, but may be faster! What a great addition!! He is going to be fun to watch for years to come. Sam has some incredible weapons to use this year. Our defense may have some holes, although I think Cincy is pretty good, but it is going to be hard to keep this OU team under 40 in ANY game. And that is in large part to guys like Broyles.

Welcome, Ryan! Glad you are a SOONER!!!

The Maestro
9/7/2008, 08:45 AM
Oooops! So there is a thread about Broyles. My bad.

Okay, how about this then? DeMarco, 15 carries. Chris Brown, 15 carries.

Unless DeMarco's hurt he should be getting at least 60 percent of the carries, if not more. Ability to break it and go the distance every play. No one else brings that. DeMarco averaged 1.2 yards more per carry and I truly believe he is the kind of back that wears a team down and then breaks off his long runs late...see Texas last year. He needs more carries and I believe he can handle it. I hope he gets that chance later on in the season.

RiddlerOK
9/7/2008, 08:48 AM
I liked his open-field speed (or at least the appearance of it thanks to his quickness and field awareness). His route running and his sideline burst on the first catch were definitely eye-opening. He is a heckuva talent. :)

StoopTroup
9/7/2008, 08:53 AM
I think I heard Traber say DeMarco was as good as any USC back...but that our stable wasn't as strong as theirs.

I walked past those D Bags yesterday while on Campus Corner.

It's a good thing there wasn't a firehose around...I would have loved to cool them off a little. :D

birddog
9/7/2008, 08:58 AM

Unless DeMarco's hurt he should be getting at least 60 percent of the carries, if not more. Ability to break it and go the distance every play. No one else brings that. DeMarco averaged 1.2 yards more per carry and I truly believe he is the kind of back that wears a team down and then breaks off his long runs late...see Texas last year. He needs more carries and I believe he can handle it. I hope he gets that chance later on in the season.

i think as the season wears on we'll see alot more of dm. remember he was injured for a good part of the spring and he admitted that he was worn out during the chatty game. perhaps he's still getting up to game speed and conditioning.

but damn, it sure is nice to be able to spell him with brown ( a guy who ALWAYS gets positive yardage) and mossis, a guy who could be a starter at alomst every other school.

stoopified
9/7/2008, 09:08 AM
He IS a player.I just hope he stays on the right path.

DrZaius
9/7/2008, 09:10 AM
Yep that Broyles kid looks very good. Very very special.

oupride
9/7/2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks of the info M.

htownsooner7
9/7/2008, 09:15 AM
Broyles just has that x factor. Murray does as well. When they get the ball, they are always thinking about doing something special. This offense is damn good.

My Opinion Matters
9/7/2008, 12:54 PM

Yes, because clearly the only place for Chris Brown with his 4.6 ypc avg. and two td a game productivity is on the bench. :rolleyes:

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 01:08 PM
Yes, because clearly the only place for Chris Brown with his 4.6 ypc avg. and two td a game productivity is on the bench. :rolleyes:

Yea, Chris Brown is good.

Demarco is our gamebreaker though.

The Maestro
9/7/2008, 01:10 PM

Good to see you and your lack of comprehension back.

Chris deserves carries. Chris deserves PT. No one should even try to argue that Chris deserves as much PT and carries as DeMarco and only someone like you would even think I was eluding to keeping him on the bench.

Folks like you = why I drink

soonerspudman
9/7/2008, 01:10 PM
I liked his open-field speed (or at least the appearance of it thanks to his quickness and field awareness). His route running and his sideline burst on the first catch were definitely eye-opening. He is a heckuva talent. :)

There's "fast" and there's "football fast". Broyles has that ability to change direction at what seems like full speed, to go from full speeed to a dead stop in two steps, and from a dead stop to full speed in three steps.

I doubt he'll see many (or any) DBs in his college career that can react in sync with him, if he stays healthy and out of trouble this guy will produce highlights that live on in sooner lore...

My Opinion Matters
9/7/2008, 01:23 PM
Good to see you and your lack of comprehension back.

Chris deserves carries. Chris deserves PT. No one should even try to argue that Chris deserves as much PT and carries as DeMarco and only someone like you would even think I was eluding to keeping him on the bench.

Folks like you = why I drink

No one? Not even, say, our offensive coaches? :confused:

Anonymous posters on the internet make you drink? I'd hate to see how you would react if something really serious happened, like say spilling a glass of milk.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2008, 01:25 PM

DM is not AD. He hasn't been able to take a huge work load so far and stay healthy; I like the 15 carry level. I also assume most those carries were in the first 3 quarters? (ABC switched to the wake forest game here after 3 qtrs, grrr). That's a 20 carry/game pace and he had a reception or 2 and he was back there for kick-offs as well. I think he is best when he is fresh and has that burst.

oumartin
9/7/2008, 01:26 PM
The catch over the Cincy D-back where he appeared to drive his Knee into the Dbacks chest on the way down was a freakin' awesome catch. Saved the drive and took alot of concentration. and yes, he can stop and change direction just as well as Clayton.

The Maestro
9/7/2008, 01:33 PM
No one? Not even, say, our offensive coaches? :confused:

Anonymous posters on the internet make you drink? I'd hate to see how you would react if something really serious happened, like say spilling a glass of milk.

Well, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek, but folks who lack comprehension drive me nuts. And you are continually just a negative nelly. You kind of annoy a lot of people, but I gather you know that and enjoy being that pesky little fly in the face of others. I said Chris shouldn't get as many carries as DeMarco (my opinion), and you made it sound like I was saying he should be on the bench. That...as you typically do...annoys me. Keep up.

I'll go with the argument of DeMarco not being able to handle the workload, but he sure looks like he is in great shape and can handle it. Chris is a rock solid backup, but I prefer DeMarco to get at least 60% or more of the carries due to his ability to break it open. AND...SINCE I HAVE TO REPEAT IT FOR YOU...I think his speed would result in late game touchdowns due to defenses wearing out and him still having that extra gear.

StoopTroup
9/7/2008, 01:38 PM
Ryan had a great day and so did Gresham IMO.

I hope Sam continues to have 9 guys catch passes every game.

Having lots of weapons is awesome to watch.

My Opinion Matters
9/7/2008, 01:39 PM
You kind of annoy a lot of people

This made me laugh. Do you have group therapy with other internet alcoholics anonymous?

yermom
9/7/2008, 01:41 PM
once the game was in hand there was no reason to put DM back in. i'm thinking that in big/close games he'll probably get more carries

and Broyles seems bigger than Cayton to me

looks like he's gonna be awesome

The Maestro
9/7/2008, 01:44 PM
This made me laugh. Do you have group therapy with other internet alcoholics anonymous?

Just keep up with the context of posts and we will all be fine and not have to keep repeating posts for YOU to understand.

Chris Brown = good

DeMarco Murray = better

OU = dominant offense...room for all of them to play.

Are you done now, nancy?

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 01:48 PM
I would rather they wait to use DeMarco more than Brown at a point where they would actually need his game breaking ability. No need in wearing him out during the "preseason" :D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2008, 01:51 PM
When Broyles can run block like Clayton, then he's the next Clayton..not saying he can't or won't since he is just a frosh, but Clayton did/does a lot of things well, not just making a catch and running with the ball..

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2008, 01:53 PM
I stated he was a star in another thread, but lets keep in context also this is one game.....saying he is the next clayton after one game..that is a bit much

DrZaius
9/7/2008, 01:59 PM
When Broyles can run block like Clayton, then he's the next Clayton..not saying he can't or won't since he is just a frosh, but Clayton did/does a lot of things well, not just making a catch and running with the ball..

I agree and surely everyone remembers this.....

CrackBack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UEZLNlyRSk)

My Opinion Matters
9/7/2008, 02:03 PM
Just keep up with the context of posts and we will all be fine and not have to keep repeating posts for YOU to understand.

Chris Brown = good

DeMarco Murray = better

OU = dominant offense...room for all of them to play.

Are you done now, nancy?

To summarize, you think our highly qualified and compensated offensive coaches should give more playing time to DM because you think he's better?

The Maestro
9/7/2008, 02:15 PM
To summarize, you think our highly qualified and compensated offensive coaches should give more playing time to DM because you think he's better?

Well, don't you remember before the season when I said DeMarco was a very special player, might be one of the top two running backs in the last ten years at OU and has comparisons to Adrian Peterson?

Oh wait...that wasn't me...that was BOB STOOPS!

You keep being you, but we all know in crunch time in big games DeMarco, if healthy, will get the key carries.

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 02:18 PM
Well, don't you remember before the season when I said DeMarco was a very special player, might be one of the top two running backs in the last ten years at OU and has comparisons to Adrian Peterson?

Oh wait...that wasn't me...that was BOB STOOPS!

You keep being you, but we all know in crunch time in big games DeMarco, if healthy, will get the key carries.

Thank you.

soonerhubs
9/7/2008, 03:39 PM
May I respectfully offer another angle as to why the coaches splitting the Playing time 50/50 between CB and DM is wise? Besides the fact that DM is recovering from injury and becoming conditioned, I'd also note DM's fumble during the game that was not a disaster but always has the potential.

Just a thought. I'm always excited to see game breakers though, so I'm sure Murray will get more playing time down stretch.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2008, 03:43 PM
post reported...no logic allowed once season begins