PDA

View Full Version : So UW got Butt-f'd by pac10 refs

Flagstaffsooner
9/6/2008, 11:15 PM
Do you think they will do a makeup next week? Oregon all over again?:mad:

Veritas
9/6/2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, they seriously got screwed. Total chickencarp call. PAC-10 officials are total dbags.

cheezyq
9/6/2008, 11:20 PM
Absolutely. We need to get up by 50 so that it doesn't affect the outcome.

Sooner in the Bluegrass
9/6/2008, 11:35 PM
I would think it'll be the opposite-- they'll treat us with kid gloves. the '06 Oregon game made the PAC-10 look really bad. This is gonna be (more or less) prime time on national TV. If they make some really bad Autzen-esque calls next week, I'd imagine that the season-long negative backlash would outweigh the cheap W for U-dub/PAC-10.

And I think the call is BS, but it's completely in accordance with the letter of the rule, if not the spirit. I mean, how do you not forget about the rules for a few seconds when you're about to go to OT against the #15 team in the country? The call was right, but the rule is BS.

sooner59
9/6/2008, 11:36 PM
Well, if the PAC-10 refs are doing that to PAC-10 teams now, maybe that will work out in our favor...

cheezyq
9/6/2008, 11:42 PM
I would think it'll be the opposite-- they'll treat us with kid gloves. the '06 Oregon game made the PAC-10 look really bad. This is gonna be (more or less) prime time on national TV. If they make some really bad Autzen-esque calls next week, I'd imagine that the season-long negative backlash would outweigh the cheap W for U-dub/PAC-10.

I'm not so sure about this...if there's one message being sent from the Pac-10 crews, it's that they don't give a **** at how bad their officiating is, they're going to continue to do whatever they want.

MissouriSooner
9/6/2008, 11:44 PM
I'm not so sure about this...if there's one message being sent from the Pac-10 crews, it's that they don't give a **** at how bad their officiating is, they're going to continue to do whatever they want.

True dat.

goingoneight
9/7/2008, 12:25 AM
Okay... at the risk of sounding whiny, here goes...

Dear Mark May and ESPN crew,

If this was such a horrendous decision and call... why did you call Clint Ingram "classless" after doing just the exact same thing following the 2005 Holiday Bowl victory?

Me, I'm kinda for the "that was a stupid call" crowd. locker didn't do anything worse than we see all the rest of these *********s diving into the endzone with no one on them, cartwheeling or acting like they're shooting a basket after a big play. Locker's touchdown was a huge play for a team desperately trying to win and get the chip of their shoulders against a good team. It was "monumental," if you will... for this group of UW guys. Like Holtz said, "shumtimeth you jutht don't know what you're doing when you're exschited and you jutht let it all out!"

Having said that... it needs to be said that when the big dogs do it... it's not "classless" or "thuggish." Bomar wasn't an "idiot" for spiking the ball either... he was an "idiot" for lying to his coach and cheating the system. Please quit spinning these stories to feed your audience.

goingoneight
9/7/2008, 12:35 AM

And I think the call is BS, but it's completely in accordance with the letter of the rule, if not the spirit. I mean, how do you not forget about the rules for a few seconds when you're about to go to OT against the #15 team in the country? The call was right, but the rule is BS.

I disagree with this.

Yes, we got shkrewed and never kissed by the PAC 10 refs in the 2006 UO game. Yes, the media acknowledged that it was not a fair call. However, what did Oklahoma get other than constant reminders of it? People said specifically that we would not drop and this game should either be considered void, or an OU victory. YET----- at year's end... OUr "only loss" was to the defending National Champions. If all was as said, we should have been considered way before Michigan, who lost to tOSU already to play in the MNC.

YEEEEEETTTTT--- not even one vote if I recall correctly. The reasoning we heard... "because Oklahoma lost to Oregon, who turned out to be a sub .500 team by season's end."

My point... the game could be called terribly and there will be a spin job to cut us down instead in the end with nothing more than constant reminders on sportscenter and the like.

The solution is simple, and any coach will tell you this... work and aim for playing well enough to silence your critics and keeping bad calls like this from deciding a game. In the end, I just don't see someone whose name isn't USC or anything else flavor or the week getting slack in said screwjobs. What can you really do in that situation? When your coach and president stick up for you, they are the ones who get roasted for "whining."

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 12:40 AM
I just don't want to go into Washington with the refs thinking, wow we owe them one.

KingBarry
9/7/2008, 03:16 AM
I just don't want to go into Washington with the refs thinking, wow we owe them one.

Exactly.

AlbqSooner
9/7/2008, 07:47 AM
After the exeprience of the Oregon debacle I sincerely hope that after the UW game Stoops is lambasted by the talking heads for running up the score.

Aries
9/7/2008, 08:47 AM
The rules specifically say you can't throw the ball "high into the air" after a touchdown, you are supposed to return it to the referee or leave it on the ground.

So the question is, how high is high? Did he throw it "high into the air"? Well, he threw it into the air, I'd say pretty high. Someone else might say he didn't throw it THAT high. But you could make the same argument on PI, "he interfered, but he didn't interfere THAT much."

And, anyway... the officials did not take away a point or the opportunity to kick an EP. They made them attempt it from 15 yards further away. So it's like what, a 32 yard field goal now? That's makeable. If they execute, it's a non-issue.

Jacie
9/7/2008, 09:43 AM
The refs explained the call so it doesn't sound like a "screw" job to me. It also happened in front of the home fans so it wasn't like they were pressured to throw a flag.

The kid messed up and I kinda feel bad for him. After his heroics put them in position to force OT, his action led to the play that cost them a shot at victory and everyone knows it. It is one he has to put behind him but you know it's tough.

Jake Locker was highly recruited, one of those types that once he signed was an influence on other UW recruits to also commit. He is only a sophomore but already I see a parallel with John Elway. So far, at least, his legacy is he is the best player on a so-so team.

OK2LA
9/7/2008, 11:44 AM

This has me peeing down both legs - going into this game.

I will be there in person to witness this one - just like the Oregon debacle.

The Maestro
9/7/2008, 11:48 AM
This is a craptastic Washington team. If it is close the refs will have very little to do with it. No reason we don't score at least 42 there unless we play bad.

soonerspudman
9/7/2008, 12:57 PM
The refs explained the call so it doesn't sound like a "screw" job to me. It also happened in front of the home fans so it wasn't like they were pressured to throw a flag.

The kid messed up and I kinda feel bad for him. After his heroics put them in position to force OT, his action led to the play that cost them a shot at victory and everyone knows it. It is one he has to put behind him but you know it's tough.

Jake Locker was highly recruited, one of those types that once he signed was an influence on other UW recruits to also commit. He is only a sophomore but already I see a parallel with John Elway. So far, at least, his legacy is he is the best player on a so-so team.

The kid messed up and I kinda feel bad for him

This is the bottom line. The refs had no choice but to throw the flag, you can't just say "I'm going to ignore the rules becuase the game is close". I saw the play, he celebrated by flinging the ball in the air, they spirit of the rule is that you can't do that, it wasn't close, it wasn't a judgement call. The ref absolutely did the right thing.

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 01:15 PM
It was a "bad call" only because of a "bad rule". The NCAA has gone over board in trying to sanitize the game. None of the celebrations anymore are "Miami-like" of the 80-90's but they feel they need to lock them down even more. While I do wish most would be Barry Sanders like and just flipp the ball to the official I understand it is an emotional game for many and there is nothing wrong with an expression of emotion as long as it is not directed towards an opponent.

KingBarry
9/8/2008, 02:43 AM
This has me peeing down both legs .

:eek: ...and i donīt even know what that means!

RacerX
9/8/2008, 06:58 AM
Bomar wasn't an "idiot" for spiking the ball

Yes, yes he was.

SoonersEnFuego
9/8/2008, 11:53 AM
Locker's move wasn't the same as Ingram's. Ingram threw the ball in the stands and was yelling in a different manner than Locker did. Locker threw the ball straight up and immediately celebrated with his teammate. Both were flagged and for good reason.

So, no the referees did not screw them...the rulebook did!
Rewrite this rule damnit!

Let them celebrate.

badger
9/8/2008, 12:11 PM
Yes, yes he was.

I agree... as did Bob Stoops, who went nuts on the sideline when this happened. He also went nuts when they dumped Gatorade on him and the game wasn't over. Aside from the winning aspect, the Holiday Bowl was almost a little embarrassing toward the end.

Crap like that and Stoops do not mix.

Oh... and as for the refs, they enforce rules that the NCAA makes, so UW got Butt-f'd by the NCAA, not the refs, who happen to be from the Pac 10.

KantoSooner
9/8/2008, 12:22 PM
Score early and often and even the PAC10 officials can't change things with their typical incompetence/corruption.

Put the score at a minimum of 50-0 by half time and you should be able to send in Halzle with instructions to let it all hang out by the beginning of the third. Make the game 7X-0 and I'll be happy.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/8/2008, 12:26 PM
I'm not so sure about this...if there's one message being sent from the Pac-10 crews, it's that they don't give a **** at how bad their officiating is, they're going to continue to do whatever they want.Unfortunate truth.

Rhino
9/8/2008, 12:45 PM
Correct call. Bad rule.

KingBarry
9/8/2008, 12:50 PM
Unfortunate truth.

It's just depressing. The Pac-10 has got the whole high-tech media savvy west coast within its dominion, and one would think that the conference could hire the PR talent needed to make it look like they pretend to care about their officiating.

But they can't even get that done right.

badger
9/8/2008, 12:57 PM
Correct call. Bad rule.

Kind of like that ruling on the field after the fumbled long pass by Cinci. We forced a fumble, we recovered the loose football and were about to get the ball back, but because a Cinci player put a paw on the ball ball from the sidelines outta bounds, the ball's dead, they had the last possession and we get punished for making a good play.

Bad rule, but correct call. If it makes us feel better, we can boo about it, but it's a rule.

olevetonahill
9/8/2008, 12:57 PM
I agree with the Bad rule group, Ive hated that dayum rule since they put it in the Books.:mad:

tulsaoilerfan
9/8/2008, 05:49 PM
Even though it's in the books, who says they have to call it? Refs ignore how many penalties throughout the game? Sorry, i think this one was a horrible decision

Leroy Lizard
9/9/2008, 09:30 AM
Refs ignore how many penalties throughout the game?

If they're good refs, they won't ignore any.

Breadburner
9/9/2008, 10:14 AM
Even though it's in the books, who says they have to call it? Refs ignore how many penalties throughout the game? Sorry, i think this one was a horrible decision

It's been hammered into them to make this particular call...I don't think they have a choice without putting their job on the line.....

mdklatt
9/9/2008, 10:44 AM
Bomar wasn't an "idiot" for spiking the ball either

At the time I called this a dumb freshman mistake, but in light of everything else we can conclude that he was in fact basically an idiot.