PDA

View Full Version : Cincy coach claiming we were twisting QBs broken ankle

Getem
9/6/2008, 10:46 PM
Kelly said officials apparently didn't see Oklahoma players twisting and rolling on Grutza's ankle after linebacker Travis Lewis and defensive linemen Cory Bennett and Jeremy Beal.

"I watched it all happen. It was really hard to watch our quarterback go down and get hurt," Kelly said.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20080906_CIN@OK

What a hypocrite.

Some versions of this story attribute the comment to Gilyard, which is probably more likely. I watched it again, and we had a guy push his head, which I didn't like, but nothing going on around his ankle. Just one of those unfortunate plays.

edit: ok, MOST reports give this quote to Gilyard.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 10:49 PM
If they didn't want to see him get hurt, I'm thinking they should have blocked better for him.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2008, 10:52 PM
Lol maybe he shouldn't have pissed us off with the statue of liberty play, eh?

TMcGee86
9/6/2008, 10:55 PM
Funny, I don't hear him talking about when his guys were doing it to Gresham in the endzone on his last score.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

sooner59
9/6/2008, 11:04 PM
I was p***** after the statue of liberty play. If im Bob, I personally take offense to that play call. Maybe Kelly thought it would work, but thats asking for it pulling that crap in our stadium. That being said, none of our coaches would ever condone that kind of dirty play, and I would like to think that none of our players would do that. And basically calling our guys dirty players just after getting his a** kicked doesn't sound very professional on his part. I have respect for the Cincy team, because they played really hard today, but I have zero respect for their coach now. He is in trouble now anyway without Mauk and Grutze. Whine all you want, but what do you expect when you come to Norman? Well, you should expect to get beaten soundly and not be surprised if someone gets hurt, because our guys play hard. Unfortunately it happens sometimes. I feel bad for the QB, nobody wants to see that, but just take your loss and move on and try to rehab your guy. You don't have to be a tool.

IronSooner
9/6/2008, 11:06 PM
Ha. I don't want to hear anything remotely resembling an accusation of thuggery from anyone associated with the Cincinnati program. I haven't seen a group of guys try to start something after so many plays in a long time. Which is why I wanted 50, and was pi$$ed when they got that junk TD. Talk trash and start fights now, please. Go back to Ohio and thug it up in your own place.

Flagstaffsooner
9/6/2008, 11:10 PM
Funny, I don't hear him talking about when his guys were doing it to Gresham in the endzone on his last score.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:Yup, when Cincy came to Flag a few years back to play NAU they were the dirtiest bastards that I have evar seen. Bunch of nasty little inner-city street thugs.

SoonerKnight
9/6/2008, 11:12 PM
How about the punches and everything else cincy was throwing at us! Statue of liberty!!!! WR pass play!!!!! :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 11:15 PM
There was some thuggish behavior on their part, but what's wrong with them running trick plays? We were better then they were, and they were trying to score, that's within the rules.

SoonerKnight
9/6/2008, 11:18 PM
I'm glad that most of the players kept their cool with those thugs well except didn't they flag loadholt for grabbing a guy I mean come on he is a giant and could have ripped the guys head off!!!!!!!!!

SoonerKnight
9/6/2008, 11:19 PM
There was some thuggish behavior on their part, but what's wrong with them running trick plays? We were better then they were, and they were trying to score, that's within the rules.

Statue of Liberty play!! Weak Sauce :rolleyes:

r5TPsooner
If you attended the game in person you can clearly see that the Cincinnati players were talking smack to the OU players the entire game. Not to mention that on many occasions the UC players would stand over the OU players not allowing them to get up at plays end.

Also, if anyone has ever played high school or college football it's not uncommon for the offensive player to be getting the "business in a pile." In college, when we would tackle a RB, and get him in a pile on the ground, we would grab a handful of nutsack or penis and twist that $hit good. The next time he touched the ball, he didn't run so hard or headed out of bounds.

My point being... better to have your ankle twisted in a pile than your nut sack or operating unit. Just sayin...

Rogue
Meh. Kid's ankle broke in action.
Yeah, the tackler laid on him and talked smack for too long and, yeah, the other OU player deserved the flag for unsportsmanlike conduct for hitting his helmet on the ground.

Cincinnati played hard, full of emotion, and got mouthy/pushy after what seemed like every other play.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 11:21 PM
Statue of Liberty play!! Weak Sauce :rolleyes:

Totally disagree. I'm glad we squashed it, but they were the outmanned team, they were doing whatever they could to score, and it's a legal play.

birddog
9/6/2008, 11:21 PM
I was p***** after the statue of liberty play. If im Bob, I personally take offense to that play call. Maybe Kelly thought it would work, but thats asking for it pulling that crap in our stadium. .

really? why is that a big deal? because of boise?

soonerboy_odanorth
9/6/2008, 11:22 PM
I hadn't heard that he complained about it at all. If he did, then he didn't/hasn't seen the film. Our guys didn't do a damn thing to their guy other than put him under a nasty rush and finish off the play.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 11:23 PM

Ridiculous, maybe next game we can have the opponent run their playlist by us to see if we approve, and that they don't offend us.

birddog
9/6/2008, 11:23 PM
Not to mention that on many occasions the UC players would stand over the OU players not allowing them to get up at plays end.

the zebras sucked ace today. eldrdige got flagged for teabagging a cincy player after he saw it was happening to his guys all game long.

birddog
9/6/2008, 11:25 PM
Ridiculous, maybe next game we can have the opponent run their playlist by us to see if we approve, and that they don't offend us.

then the coach can point to the list after he gets a scowl from bob and yell "hey, bob you signed off on this!!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2008, 11:26 PM

It was a major aggie move. They were doing it for no other reason than because Boise.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 11:27 PM
then the coach can point to the list after he gets a scowl from bob and yell "hey, bob you signed off on this!!

heh

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 11:28 PM
It was a major aggie move. They were doing it for no other reason than because Boise.

So...can no one ever run it against us again? I'm calling BS on thinking we have some right to tell the opposition what they can run.

Mandibleclaw
9/6/2008, 11:43 PM
That was hilarious when the crowd booed their Boise State attempt play, so maybe a little post tackling festivities were enhanced. ;)

Piware
9/6/2008, 11:54 PM
I hated it about their QB but the UC players started getting pushy/mouthy early on. My old coach used to say that was what teams do when they are getting their *** kicked.

Thought sure there would be a flag on Jermaine's first touchdown when Manny was trying to get untangled with a defender and finally dumped him off his back a yard out of bounds. They were thugs and it will catch up with them.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2008, 11:57 PM
So...can no one ever run it against us again? I'm calling BS on thinking we have some right to tell the opposition what they can run.
Not in "our house" when it is obviously a sore spot. If you didn't notice, or if you weren't at the game, the student section (and probably the whole stadium) was going crazy. If it works, he looks like a dbag and genius. If it doesn't he just looks like a dbag poking at old wounds. But whatever, I just thought it was hilarious. Do the Annexation of Cuba, do the double, triple, quadruple reverse, do the hook & ladder, do the flea flicker, or if you want, even do the statue of liberty. But expected to get booed when you do it at Memorial Stadium.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 12:00 AM
I can't believe that folks are insulted that UC ran the Statue Of Liberty.

I thought it was a good call and worth the risk. Felt the same about the fake punt attempt.

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 12:01 AM
Not in "our house" when it is obviously a sore spot. If you didn't notice, or if you weren't at the game, the student section (and probably the whole stadium) was going crazy. If it works, he looks like a dbag and genius. If it doesn't he just looks like a dbag poking at old wounds. But whatever, I just thought it was hilarious. Do the Annexation of Cuba, do the double, triple, quadruple reverse, do the hook & ladder, do the flea flicker, or if you want, even do the statue of liberty. But expected to get booed when you do it at Memorial Stadium.

I got no problem with booing them for anything and everything, that's being a fan.

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 12:02 AM
It doesn't bother me that they ran it, I am just glad they smothered the play.

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 12:03 AM
I can't believe that folks are insulted that UC ran the Statue Of Liberty.

I thought it was a good call and worth the risk. Felt the same about the fake punt attempt.

It worked great the last time it was run against us. :(

To get insulted over the opponents play calling is ridiculous.

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 12:03 AM

Exactly.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 12:06 AM

Exactamundo.

sooner59
9/7/2008, 12:06 AM
Im not saying that they didn't have the right to run the Statue of Liberty. What im saying is that it made me mad, and if I were Bob...or anyone on the team, it would have made me mad as well. I would have gotten even more fired up. The fact that they ran that play should fire our guys up. I would not run that play if im the Cincy coach, because all you will do is p*** our team off. Not a smart move...especially in our stadium. They can run any d*** trick play they want. None of them worked anyway. Im just glad that we were aware on defense and that Ryan Reynolds...I think...was aware enough to thwart the fake punt. I understand trick plays and 4th down conversions are needed to beat us at home, but come on...the Statue of Liberty? Im just saying, we played at a higher level after that play. And from my point of view at the 43 yard-line, the crowd got back in it and got way louder after that. It was just a bad idea by Kelly. If he had scored, maybe a different story, but in reality, it backfired.

Leroy Lizard
9/7/2008, 12:17 AM
So now we get offended if the opposing team runs certain plays.

Great. We now have a politically correct fanbase. Maybe we should show up on Oprah and discuss our sensitivities. "Well, Oprah, we were beginning to feel good about ourselves until they ran the Statue of Liberty play. And then we began to get the old feelings back. You know, the feeling that everyone is looking. That... that... that... feeling of inadequacy. I just wish we could make them stop."

sooner59
9/7/2008, 12:35 AM
I didn't like what I wrote, so I wrote it differently a few posts later. Its really what I wanted to say.

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 12:38 AM
I didn't care about the statue play, but as soon as I saw it, I yelled it out before the announcers could, haha.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 12:40 AM
So it did not irk you at all that they ran that play? Whatever. You are making way to big of a deal of it even if people did get offended. How many teams have ever ran that play on us? It was straight off of the Boise game. I got mad...so what. It fired our entire crowd up...if you were there you would know that. I hope that every team we face runs that play simply because it fires us up. Why don't we just not get fired up for anything and just sit on our hands for the entire game. I love it when fans have no emotion during a game.

Nope! Why worry something I have no control over? Am I a player or coach? Nope.

I though it was ****ing great! I thought it was even better that we nixed it.

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 12:43 AM
Every time our JG got in peoples faces I was yelling to kill them. He would have killed those little ****s.

sooner59
9/7/2008, 12:43 AM
So you are saying it didn't irk you at all when they ran that? Ok, fine. I got mad, whatever. I hope every team we play runs it because it got us fired up...players and fans. I was in there, i know. Im just saying that of all the trick plays, they ran that one...fine. It didn't work. And it got the crowd into it more. It just backfired. Im expressing my opinion about that particular play call, no need to smack talk fellow sooner fans. You don't agree and thats fine. Im just saying it backfired because he gained zero yards and revived the opposing team and opposing crowd.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 12:59 AM
So you are saying it didn't irk you at all when they ran that? Ok, fine. I got mad, whatever. I hope every team we play runs it because it got us fired up...players and fans. I was in there, i know. Im just saying that of all the trick plays, they ran that one...fine. It didn't work. And it got the crowd into it more. It just backfired. Im expressing my opinion about that particular play call, no need to smack talk fellow sooner fans. You don't agree and thats fine. Im just saying it backfired because he gained zero yards and revived the opposing team and opposing crowd.

Nope, I don't dwell on stuff like that like I did a few years ago. How long ago was that, like two years ago against Boise State in a meaningless game in the dessert?

Hell, I've had two kids start school, moved 800 miles to a new home, and had two surgeries since then. It doesn't even show up on my radar BECAUSE I HAVE A LIFE and more important stuff to worry about then a football game.

I was at the game, the folks around me were just happy that we stopped it and didn't go all Boise in the stands or whatever. I also thought the D continued to play just OK afterward.

I think what got our attention was an *** chewing and adjustments at halftime, not to mention that the air went out of UC after there QB was injured.

End of rant.

I simply disagree with you but BOOMER SOONER.

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 01:09 AM
I agree with both of you. But I guarantee you as soon as Stoops saw that, he wanted to kill them, (on the field). I'm assuming.

sooner59
9/7/2008, 01:13 AM
Fine, you could have just said "I disagree with you but BOOMER SOONER". Im sorry that im a student and dont have kids nor have I had surgery. I agree that you have more important things in your life, as do I, but why do I not have a life because I got irked at it? If you have a life, why care what I think so much that you have to write that much about it? I have MUCH more important things in my life. Things that are WAY more important than OU football. Im doing the same thing you are doing...posting my opinions on a message board. Never again will I post anything about a situation that bothered me on here. Sorry I offended you. BOOMER.

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 01:15 AM
God/Jesus, the lady, family, Oklahoma Football

IN that order!

sooner59
9/7/2008, 01:29 AM
True dat.

jdsooner
9/7/2008, 02:03 AM
Too bad the Cincy QB got hurt. He played a gutsy game and I wish him well. It was a rough game and there were several "skirmishes" between players. Hopefully this game will make us tougher.

I will say that I worried about some retaliation against Bradford and I was glad to see Sam leave the game.

sooner59
9/7/2008, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I hate to see the guy get hurt. He was a gamer. Plus it hurts them for the rest of the season. That QB was playing well for them. I wish him well and hope he recovers quickly. But I am glad Cincy put up a good fight. We needed that before our first away game, it does make us tougher.

Fraggle145
9/7/2008, 03:06 AM
does anyone have a linky to either of these plays on video? I only got to see them on TV the one time and want to revisit...

swardboy
9/7/2008, 08:06 AM
Note to visiting teams: If you want to get the OU fans fully engaged in the game, please run Statue of Liberty. Thank you.

birddog
9/7/2008, 08:14 AM
there are some sensitive sobs out there. it didn't even cross my mind when they ran it and i didn't hear a peep out of anyone in my section.

oh well, it was a fun game and it seemed like most of the td's were scored in the south endzone so i wasn't forced to stare at the screen for the action.

good luck to cincy, you all have a good squad.

stoopified
9/7/2008, 08:50 AM
Ha. I don't want to hear anything remotely resembling an accusation of thuggery from anyone associated with the Cincinnati program. I haven't seen a group of guys try to start something after so many plays in a long time. Which is why I wanted 50, and was pi$$ed when they got that junk TD. Talk trash and start fights now, please. Go back to Ohio and thug it up in your own place.Bingo

StoopTroup
9/7/2008, 09:06 AM
Fine, you could have just said "I disagree with you but BOOMER SOONER". Im sorry that im a student and dont have kids nor have I had surgery. I agree that you have more important things in your life, as do I, but why do I not have a life because I got irked at it? If you have a life, why care what I think so much that you have to write that much about it? I have MUCH more important things in my life. Things that are WAY more important than OU football. Im doing the same thing you are doing...posting my opinions on a message board. Never again will I post anything about a situation that bothered me on here. Sorry I offended you. BOOMER.

You could of said..."The Statue of Liberty play we stopped really got our Defense fired up. I know it pissed me off. Any Team that pulls that one on us better get used to a few broken ankles". :D

Then it would have even fit well in this thread.

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

Collier11
9/7/2008, 09:13 AM

you guys are babies, if a team has a play that they think will work they are going to run it...I highly doubt the Cincy coach was trying to prove a point

DrZaius
9/7/2008, 09:22 AM
That is pretty stupid to say. You don't need a phd to see in the reply that his ankle was clearly blown out by a sniper in the stands near the grassy endzone......:(

Charla
9/7/2008, 09:32 AM
Kids, KIDS !!!!!!!!!!

Honor&Glory
9/7/2008, 09:45 AM
I don't know if it was stated or not in this thread, but that comment did not come from Brian Kelly. Kelly did nothing but praise Oklahoma after the game and even said he thought the Sooners were good enough to compete in the NFL.

I am a UC grad and I just wanted to stop in and congratulate the Sooners on a very impressive performance. Cincinnati will be be better this year than Big East writers wanted to give them credit for and Oklahoma just destroyed my alma mater yesterday.

As for 'Inner City' thug comments, I have to say that they are very much unwarrented. Did some of the Bearcats not handle themselves with class yesterday? yes. Did MOST of them walk off the field with their heads high and shake their opponents hand? absolutely. I know that Terril Byrd, Domminick Goodman and Andre Revels (all products of my high school alma mater, Colerain...who is rumored to have a game next year with Jenks) played well and with class and didn't represent some 'inner city thuggery' as has been thrown around this board. It is a stereotype and I hate it and I know Sooner fans to be better than that. That's why I've always liked Oklahoma as my 'third school' behind UC and Ohio State (schools I've attended).

Good luck, Sooners...you have a hell of a team and if OSU can't win the title, I'll be rooting for an Ohio boy to bring a crown to Norman.

BOOMER SOONER.

StoopTroup
9/7/2008, 09:45 AM
Folks need to put the Boise thing to rest IMO.

How did Boise do last year?

This year?

Is the Statute of Liberty still winning them games?

Are they headed towards winning a MNC?

Talk about weak sauce?

Bringing it up is weak sauce IMO.

IronHorseSooner
9/7/2008, 10:08 AM
I didn't have any issues with the S.O.L. play. It was a coach just trying to win a game against a better opponent. We will see stuff like this all year....As far as the ankle twisting goes, I watched the replay a few times, and there was no ankle twisting. Now, Cordero Moore (I think) pushed the QB's head down, and will likely get/got an earful from the coaches this week for that. But calling us dirty, that's weak sauce. I, also, don't believe that Coach Kelly was the one who made those comments. I believe those came from Ginyard, and he was bitter.

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 11:36 AM
Running the SoL play was just a calculated risk, past performance showed that it worked the last time it was run against an OU defense. It is a deception play that relies on over pursuit because of speed. For awhile there they had several of those deception type plays work because of the defensive speed was sucked into over pursuing. All of the "flying to the ball" can come back and bite you at times those plays are executed well. It was a smart call on Coach Kelly's part, the fake punt, not so much. But it was a calculated risk at the time and maybe the punt coverage team was bailing out on the play early and it was something they thought they could take advantage of. I am just glad a player recognized it and broke up the play.

MichiganSooner
9/7/2008, 11:58 AM
Coach Kelly did not say OU tried to break his QB's leg. The wide receiver, kick returner, #1, said my QB was folded up and guys were doing stuff, twisting and rolling the ankles and the refs couldn't see it. In the Cincinnati Enquirer it said the above. Coach Kelly had nothing but complements for OU. He said he came in thinking every starter would be on the Big East all star team and left saying we were probably the best team in the country. The paper also said that the QB would not need surgery and should be back in 3-4 weeks. Week 4 would be the first Big East Conference game.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 12:44 PM

:confused:

I'm assuming you're talking to me? If I was offended you would have known about it trust me. Just throwing an old man's opinion and life experience out there.

Kids...........:D

Getem
9/7/2008, 12:50 PM
Like I said, it was probably Gilyard, though Sportsline still shows it as Kelly. I'd change the title, but I don't have the power. Regardless, there is no twisting or rolling the ankles on that play. Gilyard must be confused from all the ankle-twisting he saw from the sideline; y'know (hint) when Cincy was on defense.
the play (http://members.cox.net/jiminy64/cincy-qb.avi)

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/7/2008, 12:54 PM
So now we get offended if the opposing team runs certain plays.

Great. We now have a politically correct fanbase. Maybe we should show up on Oprah and discuss our sensitivities. "Well, Oprah, we were beginning to feel good about ourselves until they ran the Statue of Liberty play. And then we began to get the old feelings back. You know, the feeling that everyone is looking. That... that... that... feeling of inadequacy. I just wish we could make them stop."

heh! laughing at this one!

oumartin
9/7/2008, 01:35 PM
There was no tristing of the ankle of the quarterback. his leg got caught up underneath him and as his body twisted to the ground his foot did not slip out from under his body, it remained hung up underneath him. Looks nasty on the replays on television but there was nothing dirty about it. Its football

StoopTroup
9/7/2008, 01:54 PM
There was no tristing of the ankle of the quarterback. his leg got caught up underneath him and as his body twisted to the ground his foot did not slip out from under his body, it remained hung up underneath him. Looks nasty on the replays on television but there was nothing dirty about it. Its football

Exactly. Good Stuff!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2008, 02:13 PM
Alabama was playing dirty when Jason White tore his ACL:rolleyes:

illinisooner
9/7/2008, 04:20 PM
Cincy reminded me of their old basketball teams when Huggins was in charge, constant trash talking even when the score was out of hand. As for the SOL play, I'm sure Coach Kelly decided to put it in the playbook earlier in the week to get the guys fired up and ready to play. But of course it was going to get booed, I'm just glad we stopped it this time haha. If Grutza's injury occured because of us, that's unfortunate and poor play on our part, but with all the trash talking and dirty play that the Bearcats did, they should expect to get some of their own medicine.

Dan Thompson
9/7/2008, 04:24 PM
I didn't see any flag on that play:)

EstablishedSooner1967
9/7/2008, 04:33 PM
funny i did no to know he was hurt until the play was over... maybe the sooner players did not know he was hurt... I am sure they did not say.. hey his leg is broke lest twist off on it... you just dont think that way during a game..

Cam
9/7/2008, 04:35 PM

Didn't irk me one bit. In fact, the people in the stands around us were laughing that they actually felt like they had to run it to stay in the game.

You want to get pissed about something, get pissed that our guys took the bait and got multiple personal foul flags. That's what you should be pissed about. Those flags will cost us more games than a stupid trick play that might work 10-20% of the time.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2008, 04:49 PM
why would anybody care about them running that play...if a team scores on a pass to the TE, should we be pissed somebody threw it to their TE in another game?

badger
9/7/2008, 06:29 PM
Thread title "Cincy coach claiming we were twisting QBs broken ankle"

Well, we might have. Football is a contact sport, after all. It's not like we were cheering when he fell down and couldn't get up. It's not like we brought out a sledgehammer and started pounding on his other ankle afterward.

Injuries happen, it's a contact game. Of course, we wish him well and hope he has a speedy recovery. To suggest that we would purposefully injure a non-conference opponent's ankle when we have a sizable lead is kind of... well... sour. Grapes. Sour grapes.

Get well, man. You played well Saturday. Here's hoping the NCAA grants you an extra year if you ask. :)

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 06:33 PM

Exactly.

BTW, welcome back.

SCOUT
9/7/2008, 11:41 PM
To the Cincy fans, I say welcome to the board and thanks for a great game.

To those complaining about the statue of liberty play, please stop. An underdog team used a play to defeat us a few years ago and now another team wants to try and repeat their success. Why is that even a topic for discussion? Of course they should try to replicate the success of others. You do realize that they want to win the game too, don't you?

Leroy Lizard
9/8/2008, 02:34 AM
I remember when we were playing OSU and they attempted a field goal against us. The coach had to be a jerk! Doesn't he realize that Texas kicked a tying field goal against us in 1984 and that, as Sooner fans, field goals bring back bad memories of that game?

guzziguy
9/8/2008, 04:27 AM
does anyone have a linky to either of these plays on video? I only got to see them on TV the one time and want to revisit...

Not a video, but here's a link to a still pic.

http://www.eyessport.com/cincy%20qb%20injury.jpg

Clearly shows the injury happening.

soonermagicgirl
9/8/2008, 08:22 AM
If they didn't want to see him get hurt, I'm thinking they should have blocked better for him.

HA..HA.. My point exactly.

If you block...QB doesnt get hurt...

Scott D
9/8/2008, 08:24 AM
I would like to state, that unbeknownst to everyone. I snuck into the stadium, onto the field and personally took a sledgehammer to the guy's ankle in the middle of that play with absolutely nobody looking. Even though there were tons of people watching the play.

85sooners
9/8/2008, 08:48 AM
:gary:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/8/2008, 09:03 AM
I gave him some spinach with e coli before the game