PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Disses Sooners again...

Lott's Bandana
9/6/2008, 10:24 PM
Halftime Show:

Highlights and scores:

tOSU
Georgia
West Virginia
Washington
Notre Dame
Southern Miss...etc...etc...

Not a whisper about the Sooners. Even though ABC/ESPN broadcast teh game.

Never ends does it?:mad:

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 10:25 PM
It's truly a conspiracy of global proportions.

StormySooner-IN
9/6/2008, 10:26 PM
CBS has(d) on their frontpage....and a couple of good articles.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10964635

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20080906_CIN@OK

OKLA21FAN
9/6/2008, 10:29 PM
just win

and it will take care of itself

StormySooner-IN
9/6/2008, 10:31 PM
Oh....now theirs a new pole on CBS about us.

But yea.....I only care that we win each week....one game at time.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2008, 10:35 PM
I noticed this as well. But if we're not worth mention, they're not worth mention.

GottaHavePride
9/6/2008, 10:43 PM
We didn't look great, we didn't look ****ty. We won a game against a team we were supposed to beat, and we won by about as many points as we were supposed to win by.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 10:46 PM
We were just on ESPN Sportscenter...

...did they forget they hate us. :rolleyes:

sooner59
9/6/2008, 11:29 PM
ESPN has 3 or 4 articles on us now on their website.

Penguin
9/7/2008, 12:04 AM
Believe it or not, they might just be getting tired of saying, "OU looks pretty damn good this year." Year after year after year after year.......

I think the national audience enjoys looking for an underdog darling every year.

cheezyq
9/7/2008, 12:08 AM
I don't think it's just an OU thing. I think it's a Midwest market thing. ESPN caters to the large market areas, specifically the NE. The largest amount of coverage on SportsCenter goes to Yanks/BoSox through October/November anyway.

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 12:10 AM
Sam Bradford gets a helmet sticker from Lou Holtz. Did Lou not get the memo that ESPN hates the Sooners? :rolleyes: ;) ;)

IronSooner
9/7/2008, 12:18 AM
They gave a sticker to that UC kid who lit us up, so that balances out any OU love Holtz may have accidentally shown. Therefore they still hate us ;)

cheezyq
9/7/2008, 12:24 AM
Actually, Lou giving us props is about as useful as Corso doing the same. It's practically a curse. ESPN knows this and they're trying to screw us, therefore I'm calling CONSPIRACY on this one....

;)

goingoneight
9/7/2008, 12:59 AM
**** them... let everyone continue to get all sore and pissy about OU having success.

In fact, why don't we call USC the greatest team ever and unbeatable just to get it out of our system. That and the SEC is so good, no one outside their conference can beat them. NO ONE.

ESPN doesn't hate us... a few of their "experts" do... but none are considered "experts" by anyone other than their alma mater's fanbase.

Let the know-it-alls continue to put way more stock in a BCS loss or two than what's happening right in front of them. 2-0.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 01:01 AM
Sam Bradford gets a helmet sticker from Lou Holtz. Did Lou not get the memo that ESPN hates the Sooners? :rolleyes: ;) ;)

Quit busting balls ya bastard.:D

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 01:05 AM
CBS sportsline has had us in the National Title game since the season started.

stoopified
9/7/2008, 09:10 AM
It's truly a conspiracy of global proportions. :D

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 12:09 PM
Win it all and there will be plenty of respect, just like in 2000. ALL media is a flavor of day club, they are on their knees for whoever is the hot story. If OU and Tech are undefeated going into that game and most others have a loss or two, it will be majorly hyped. If the media has any anti-OU bias it is is just because of the poor BCS bowl game appearances, since those wins add to the flavor of the day hype.

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2008, 11:20 PM
The reason I waste my time writing things like starting this thread is because we are all fans of a team that is at the mercy of a system that is based completely on subjective opinion. BCS computers or not, the bottom line is...as long as voters rely on highlights and reports to rank their teams, then I find it significant that the most influential media monarchy chooses to completely ignore one of the elite teams during their prime-time Saturday night halftime show. Not the first time it has happened, won't be the last.

Just pisses me off. Bradford gets career yardage and 5 TD's and drops off the ESPN Heisman watch. Who knew?

Sabanball
9/7/2008, 11:26 PM
Get used to it. ESPN has an obvious agenda and is biased against red state schools. You're ranked no. 3 in the second week of the season. You are getting plenty of respect, obviously, where it counts...

soonermagicgirl
9/8/2008, 08:33 AM
Believe it or not, they might just be getting tired of saying, "OU looks pretty damn good this year." Year after year after year after year.......

I think the national audience enjoys looking for an underdog darling every year.

I like your train of thought...LOL:)

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2008, 09:32 AM
The reason I waste my time writing things like starting this thread is because we are all fans of a team that is at the mercy of a system that is based completely on subjective opinion. BCS computers or not, the bottom line is...as long as voters rely on highlights and reports to rank their teams, then I find it significant that the most influential media monarchy chooses to completely ignore one of the elite teams during their prime-time Saturday night halftime show. Not the first time it has happened, won't be the last.

Just pisses me off. Bradford gets career yardage and 5 TD's and drops off the ESPN Heisman watch. Who knew?

Thus adding to your fanbase's reputation of whining on a cartoonish biblical scale about media bias against OU... the old "oh.. everybody hates us! they want us to fail!"

You don't remember in 2003 when the Eastern Sports Promotional Network was promoting OU as the best team in the history of God and college football and they could beat some teams in the NFL.. that is.. until K-State rolled you?

Winning cures everything.

htownsooner7
9/8/2008, 09:37 AM
Thus adding to your fanbase's reputation of whining on a cartoonish biblical scale about media bias against OU... the old "oh.. everybody hates us! they want us to fail!"

You don't remember in 2003 when the Eastern Sports Promotional Network was promoting OU as the best team in the history of God and college football and they could beat some teams in the NFL.. that is.. until K-State rolled you?

Winning cures everything.

If winning cures everything, you would probably be a little more quiet seeing as how we beat you last year sending you to another leisurely Holiday Bowl appearance. Typical whorns, no sense of yourself.

MiccoMacey
9/8/2008, 09:38 AM
How do you have green spek?

And how do you live with yourself for having green spek?

:D

badger
9/8/2008, 09:43 AM
Hey Lid, you've just been n00b0wn3d!!!1! :D

I think every fanbase whines, even Baylor :eek: However, I think the Big 12 is doing what they need to in order to get substantial media coverage right now - good non-conference matchups (thank you, Tech, for NOT playing another cupcake for once, same for you A&M, and extra kudos to us for playing a 10-win team, lol). Obviously the non-conference schedule is used for a big desert line of games unless you're the cupcake yourself (in which case, your payouts fund the rest of your season), but what most Big 12 schedules are doing is at least getting some name teams on their schedule. Schools that people have actually heard about and that have won recently.

:mad: With that in mind, Texas, you better show up next week versus Arkansas. They are weak, so if you don't score half a hundred, punch Holiday Bowl tickets now.

... and for future n00b reference, Lid is a resident here, so please save the extra dose of bashing for October, unless the bashing is funny. :D

badger
9/8/2008, 09:58 AM
Oh, and ESPN.com just posted the new Big 12 power rankings (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12). I feel so dissed. :mad:

;) Nah, we're still No. 1.

aurorasooner
9/8/2008, 10:05 AM
You don't remember in 2003 when the Eastern Sports Promotional Network was promoting OU as the best team in the history of God and college football and they could beat some teams in the NFL.. that is.. until K-State rolled you? Yes, we definitely stunk it up in KC & got rolled like Texas did against Nebraska in '99, although not as badly as that 65-13 absolute beating we hung on Texas in 2003. :D That's one of the reasons I like CFB. If your players (and coaches) read all the pat-on-the-back press clippings, don't have quality game-prep/game-planning, & especially don't come out and play with emotion & let the little things like some cold weather bother you, any decent team can upset a better team.
KC has been pretty good to us since we've got as many Big 12 championship wins just in KC alone than Texas has altogether. However, I still hate to see the Big 12 hold it's championship game in KC in December. When Jerry-World opens it would be the perfect permanent location for the Big-12 championship game, imo, but the North would raise H*&&.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2008, 10:16 AM
If winning cures everything, you would probably be a little more quiet seeing as how we beat you last year sending you to another leisurely Holiday Bowl appearance. Typical whorns, no sense of yourself.

You did win last year. You will probably win this year too.

If you look at the series, it does tend to be cyclical.

As for bowl games.. do you really want to talk about bowl wins and losses? :D

badger
9/8/2008, 10:33 AM

Sure! We are undefeated in the Cotton, Holiday and Rose Bowl. I think that it is fair to compare bowl records when you have comparable bowls to compare, DON'T YOU, LID???

Why compare BCS bowl records when Texas has ONLY BEEN TO TWO. :D

htownsooner7
9/8/2008, 10:55 AM
You did win last year. You will probably win this year too.

If you look at the series, it does tend to be cyclical.

This "cycle" isn't looking any better for you in the next couple years. And by the way, we won our first 2 BCS games as well. I have seen your posts for a couple years now and know not to react too harshly because so many times you are simply trying to get someone fired up. Nonetheless, I have been as depressed as the next fan after our last two fiesta bowl losses. However, I will gladly take a conference championship and a BCS bowl loss over lackluster seasons rewarded with tickets to the Alamo and Holiday bowl as tu has had to do the last couple years.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2008, 11:12 AM
Why compare BCS bowl records when Texas has ONLY BEEN TO TWO. :D

I'm sure you mean.. Texas has won two BCS bowls.. including one which is being regarded as one of the greatest bowl games of all time...

which is.. the same number of BCS bowls that OU has won.

hmmmmm...

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2008, 11:14 AM
This "cycle" isn't looking any better for you in the next couple years. And by the way, we won our first 2 BCS games as well. I have seen your posts for a couple years now and know not to react too harshly because so many times you are simply trying to get someone fired up. Nonetheless, I have been as depressed as the next fan after our last two fiesta bowl losses. However, I will gladly take a conference championship and a BCS bowl loss over lackluster seasons rewarded with tickets to the Alamo and Holiday bowl as tu has had to do the last couple years.

WHO ME? Trying to stir things up? nahhhh......

Actually. the cycle is beginning to look better for us after this year. We don't lose many seniors from this team... and the number of freshman, RS frosh and soph getting significant playing time right now is pretty amazing. You lose your entire starting offensive line after this year and although he probably won't.. you could lose your quarterback as well.

badger
9/8/2008, 11:19 AM
I'm sure you mean.. Texas has won two BCS bowls.. including one which is being regarded as one of the greatest bowl games of all time...

Nope, I meant what I said, that since the start of the BCS, you have been invited to a total of two BCS bowl games. This is understandable, seeing how BCS games are usually reserved for championship teams... and I don't need to remind you how many championships, conference and otherwise, you have won.

:pop:

soonermix
9/8/2008, 11:23 AM
we don't need to get worked up about the polls and national media coverage just yet. the bcs poll doesn't come out till october. many schools will play themselves out of media coverage (west virginia)
plus we don't really have any compeling stories right now
no new qb(dirty sanchez)
no major injuries(beans wells)
no "we haven't been good since 1980" (georgia)
no upsets (ECU)

when all is said and done and we are the last undefeated team in the country guess who they will be talking about

BOOMER SOONER

MiccoMacey
9/8/2008, 12:51 PM
...and although he probably won't.. you could lose your quarterback as well.

Same could be said for you guys. Colt's looking good right now. This could be his last year.