PDA

View Full Version : THOSE WHO FAIL TO LEARN THE LESSONS OF HISTORY

okcusooner
9/6/2008, 07:53 PM
The glaring lesson of last year's Texas Tech game is the need to get the backup qb meaningful snaps.

Why was Bradford in the game for any of the 4th quarter?

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:53 PM
Heisman Snaps.

okcusooner
9/6/2008, 07:56 PM
Heisman Snaps.

I really hope that is not the reason. Given that only one soph has ever won the Heisman, those are long odds at the cost of losing meaningful snaps for the backup

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:59 PM
I really hope that is not the reason. Given that only one soph has ever won the Heisman, those are long odds at the cost of losing meaningful snaps for the backup

That is the only reason I can think of really.

Maybe he wanted to just get him some more snaps for experience.

Only Bob knows.

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:01 PM
Watch out okcsooner, if you question the coaching staffs calls you might get a negative vote on your rep LOL :) I know that would just ruin your day bwahh

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:02 PM
Watch out okcsooner, if you question the coaching staffs calls you might get a negative vote on your rep LOL :) I know that would just ruin your day bwahh

:D

DrZaius
9/6/2008, 08:05 PM
he probably should not have been there but was not under a whole lot of pressure today.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 08:07 PM

He's currently on the 2nd page from last w/ his SPEK. He knows what can happen. :D

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 08:08 PM

to late hes Red like you !:rolleyes:

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:12 PM

shut up Longwhorn

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:13 PM
shut up Longwhorn

How is he a Longhorn?

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 08:18 PM
How is he a Longhorn?

Apparently Denver Sooner is 12, and this is the best he could do. :D

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:19 PM

Its becoming more and more likely :D

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 08:26 PM

Hes just trying real hard to end up on the last Page ;)

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 08:27 PM
Hes just trying real hard to end up on the last Page ;)

Yup, right now ol Shaun has that to himself. :D

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 08:30 PM
Yup, right now ol Shaun has that to himself. :D
Shaun of the Red?

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 08:32 PM
Shaun of the Red?

Shaun4411 to be exact, but he might as well be Shaun of the Red. :D

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2008, 09:16 PM
The glaring lesson of last year's Texas Tech game is the need to get the backup qb meaningful snaps.

Why would u pull him? We were only up 3 scores, and the way the kick coverage looked today that game could have gotten closer in a hurry; if you put Halzle in too early and he starts turning the ball over this game could turn into a nail biter

goingoneight
9/7/2008, 12:07 AM

Because when Cincinnati is butt-raping your defense, you tend to go for security points.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 12:09 AM
People will bitch about anything won't they?

UC seemed to score pretty fast when they scored. I'm glad that #14 stayed in.

the_ouskull
9/7/2008, 11:43 AM
Well, frankly, Bradford played like crap for an entire quarter of the game, AFTER we'd broken a big lead. He was floating passes he normally makes, and he wasn't breaking down his reads nearly as quickly as he did for most of last season. Bob probably left him in to see to he responded to all of that.

Having said that, I agree with the original poster... Bob has historically had a habit of not getting out backup QB's much burn. Considering that our line, while (allegedly) experienced, will blow an assignment from time to time, I don't think that the risk to Bradford is worth it with 10 left in a 20+ point game. He can work out his kinks in practice, sir.

the_ouskull

SWFloridaSooner
9/7/2008, 12:13 PM
I was glad to see Sam in at the beginning of the 4rh. Later in the seaon when the team is more solid, take him out earlier if we are that far ahead against a lesser team, but, for now, I like haveing our #1 man out there. Plus, Bob might know a little bit more than me about football. Maybe. :)

yermom
9/7/2008, 02:09 PM
i was really surprised to see Halzle last week in the 2nd qtr

i figured he would play more yesterday

of course, Bradford also threw more INTs than he ever had, i'm thinking they might have been trying to keep his confidence

he ended up throwing 5 TDs again. i'd imagine if he wouldn't have thrown 2 picks he would have been on the bench for the 4th

StoopTroup
9/7/2008, 02:19 PM
Having Sam in against a formidable opponent is just good sense when your getting the Season off to a good start.

If he was still in playing late in the 3rd quarter when we had the whorns down by 50....I would agree that it's risky.

Sam was looking at 365 yards when I thought he should come out and after seeing it was 365...I was rooting for him to go over 400.

As a fan...I want this guy in the running for the Heisman.

If he doesn't win it...there is always next year...but watching him develop into a Seasoned Veteran so quick is awesome to watch.

GO SAM ! ! !

GO SOONERS ! ! !

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 02:20 PM
Having Sam in against a formidable opponent is just good sense when your getting the Season off to a good start.

If he was still in playing late in the 3rd quarter when we had the whorns down by 50....I would agree that it's risky.

Sam was looking at 365 yards when I thought he should come out and after seeing it was 365...I was rooting for him to go over 400.

As a fan...I want this guy in the running for the Heisman.

If he doesn't win it...there is always next year...but watching him develop into a Seasoned Veteran so quick is awesome to watch.

GO SAM ! ! !

GO SOONERS ! ! !

That is part of the reason I thought that they left him in for.

Heisman.

jkjsooner
9/7/2008, 02:30 PM

Sorry, but the game was not over at the end of the third quarter. Three TD leads can and have been lost in the fourth quarter.

badger
9/7/2008, 03:33 PM
I usually trust Stoops, but after the way the Cinci QB went down and the way the players fought about it on-field with flags flying afterward, I was a little weary of a possible revenge hit on Bradford, especially late in the game.

Alas, our only "revenge hit" was a timeout with 2 seconds to go. Considering the alternative, I wasn't among the boo'ers at that point. :)

stoopified
9/7/2008, 04:10 PM
shut up LongwhornI woulda hit you with neg for this but since you are only a rookie and are already buried in red.I'm letting it slide.Suffice it to say that Vet is a respected member of SF and should NOT EVER be called a WHORN.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/7/2008, 04:15 PM
I don't so much that Bradford stayed in, but the fact that when Hazle comes in and we run the ball three straight times is what bugs me.

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 04:16 PM
I woulda hit you with neg for this but since you are only a rookie and are already buried in red.I'm letting it slide.Suffice it to say that Vet is a respected member of SF and should NOT EVER be called a WHORN.

He is buried now. I doubt he will every be green again.

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 04:50 PM
I woulda hit you with neg for this but since you are only a rookie and are already buried in red.I'm letting it slide.Suffice it to say that Vet is a respected member of SF and should NOT EVER be called a WHORN.

Lots of us thought this way.

...I didn't hold off squeezing the trigger though. ;) :P :D

badger
9/7/2008, 06:10 PM
He is buried now. I doubt he will every be green again.

Until a mod has pity on him :)

Renounce the forces of evil - the whorns, and all their empty promises, and you too, can be green once again.

olevetonahill
9/7/2008, 07:55 PM

BWAHAHAHA
this dude Negged me for this post . Said I had poor taste
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=44129 :D

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 07:56 PM
BWAHAHAHA

I negged him :D

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 07:57 PM
BWAHAHAHA

So...this dude that negged you, I'm guessing he's now red too? :D

olevetonahill
9/7/2008, 08:10 PM
So...this dude that negged you, I'm guessing he's now red too? :D

Ive been Good so far ;)

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 08:11 PM
Ive been Good so far ;)

...but why?

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 08:14 PM
...but why?

Vet is a good guy ;)

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 08:19 PM
Vet is a good guy ;)

No doubt, but he does like to swing that big hammer of his.

CK Sooner
9/7/2008, 08:22 PM
No doubt, but he does like to swing that big hammer of his.

That is for sure :D

olevetonahill
9/7/2008, 08:24 PM
...but why?

Hell if I know :eek: Dude told Me I had poor Taste:D

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 08:25 PM
Hell if I know :eek: Dude told Me I had poor Taste:D

...and for that he should be redder then....something very red. :D

swardboy
9/7/2008, 08:48 PM
Well, frankly, Bradford played like crap for an entire quarter of the game, AFTER we'd broken a big lead. He was floating passes he normally makes, and he wasn't breaking down his reads nearly as quickly as he did for most of last season. Bob probably left him in to see to he responded to all of that.

the_ouskull

Thank you ouskull for saying it....talk about night and day - 1st and 2nd quarters. His passes were really zipping in there the 1st quarter with a quick release and deadly accuracy. 2nd quarter - clueless. Hope it's a good learning experience....and Sam is a quick study.

But jeebus...395 yards passing? No fluke there.

oudivesherpa
9/7/2008, 08:53 PM

The last negative vote got was from a Bama fan. I consider it a Badge of honor.

Statalyzer
9/9/2008, 10:36 AM
Sorry, but the game was not over at the end of the third quarter. Three TD leads can and have been lost in the fourth quarter.

Exactly. Ask Oklahoma State or the Houston Oilers if they think they should pull their QB and go on cruise control with a 3 score lead.

okcusooner
9/9/2008, 08:36 PM
Exactly. Ask Oklahoma State or the Houston Oilers if they think they should pull their QB and go on cruise control with a 3 score lead.

I think your example is misleading. The OSU and Houston debacles are notable for the fact that they were so unusual.

And, in fact, with about 14 minutes left, OU was up by 25 points (four scores). Do you seriously contend that after the Stevens FG the risk of a Cincy comeback outweighed the risk of injury to Bradford or the benefit of getting Halzle some meaningful playing time?