PDA

View Full Version : I tried to be nice

85Sooner
9/6/2008, 06:55 PM
To: ABC, ESPN, NCAA and The Big XII

Dear sirs,

Those of us in Big XII Regions are sick and tired of your continued tendency toswitch games before the final gun.

When you, ABC schedule a game for regional presentation, fans in that area plan their days around your game schedule. They plan tailgates, parties etc.... Others are fans of their conference and want to see their conference opponants play. Additionally, your announced intention to show said game creates a situation in which that game is blacked out on Directv in the regions that your broadcast is covering.

When you switch a Big XII game to and east coast game in the middle of the third quarter,you ruin the afternoon for everyone. Safe to say that the fans of Wake Forest and Ole miss were not sitting around on the off chance that there will be a blowout and you will switch to a game with relevence only 1500 miles away.

To the Big XII officials, in the future, when you enter into contract negotiations with ABC/ESPN please put a stipulation in the contract that "when a BIGXII game is scheduled for broadcast in any Big XII region,it must be shown in its entirety". This will benefit, the local affiliates, the network, and the Big XII as a whole.

Thank you for your consideration.

ESPN: http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/contact?country=united%20states

The BIg XII: http://www.big12sports.com/CreateTicket.dbml?ATCLID=1524467&SPSID=106749&SPID=13138&DB_OEM_ID=10410

Please feel free to copy and send to your local affiliate

MichiganSooner
9/6/2008, 07:05 PM
Agree.

Where are you at? The entire game was broadcast in Tulsa.

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 07:14 PM
85sooner and I are in the Austin area. Oklahoma affiliates usually have a "Do Not Switch" rule in place.

chad
9/6/2008, 07:15 PM
Also try to get HD for all games.

I don't know if my friend didn't have it on the right channel (satellite, don't know which brand), but watching in SD when I know the beauty of HD is annoying.

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 07:19 PM
It was not offered in HD by ABC/ESPN, it was the only game of the weekend to not be in HD by them.

AlbqSooner
9/6/2008, 07:44 PM
Living in New Mexico I missed the entire 4th quarter to watch Ole Miss and Wake Forest. Wish I had more astro glide.

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:45 PM
Sent

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:49 PM
I would complain to the ABC affiliate here in Denver, but I doubt they would listen. Now if I was a CU or CSU fan....different story.

r5TPsooner
9/6/2008, 08:50 PM
To: ABC, ESPN, NCAA and The Big XII

Dear sirs,

Those of us in Big XII Regions are sick and tired of your continued tendency toswitch games before the final gun.

When you, ABC schedule a game for regional presentation, fans in that area plan their days around your game schedule. They plan tailgates, parties etc.... Others are fans of their conference and want to see their conference opponants play. Additionally, your announced intention to show said game creates a situation in which that game is blacked out on Directv in the regions that your broadcast is covering.

When you switch a Big XII game to and east coast game in the middle of the third quarter,you ruin the afternoon for everyone. Safe to say that the fans of Wake Forest and Ole miss were not sitting around on the off chance that there will be a blowout and you will switch to a game with relevence only 1500 miles away.

To the Big XII officials, in the future, when you enter into contract negotiations with ABC/ESPN please put a stipulation in the contract that "when a BIGXII game is scheduled for broadcast in any Big XII region,it must be shown in its entirety". This will benefit, the local affiliates, the network, and the Big XII as a whole.

Thank you for your consideration.

ESPN: http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/contact?country=united%20states

The BIg XII: http://www.big12sports.com/CreateTicket.dbml?ATCLID=1524467&SPSID=106749&SPID=13138&DB_OEM_ID=10410

Please feel free to copy and send to your local affiliate

ESPN GamePlan is your friend. They'll never switch it.

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 09:01 PM
Yes, but those of us in the Big 12 area that gets a scheduled Big 12 game shouldn't have to pay extra so a game from our conference won't be switched to some other game. That just encourages them to do it more to drive people to buy it. If I lived somewhere other than Big 12 country, I would have it, but being that I live in it, I shouldn't have to buy it.

Soonerfan85
9/6/2008, 09:05 PM
I feel your pain 85.

We have 3 ABC stations on our local cable. Wanna guess which game the other 2 were already showing when the Shreveport ABC affiliate switched to Ole Miss/Wake?? :mad:

r5TPsooner
9/6/2008, 09:05 PM
Yes, but those of us in the Big 12 area that gets a scheduled Big 12 game shouldn't have to pay extra so a game from our conference won't be switched to some other game. That just encourages them to do it more to drive people to buy it. If I lived somewhere other than Big 12 country, I would have it, but being that I live in it, I shouldn't have to buy it.

You answered your own question. It's all about the munney... and the fact that the game was a BLOWOUT, which only two states in the country on average want to see the conclusion of.

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, but I already have NFL-Sunday Ticket and MLB-Extra Innings, I just cancelled NHL-Center Ice since I didn't watch it much last season...I don't wanna spend more for games that I should be getting...

Sooner Eclipse
9/6/2008, 09:08 PM

Gameplan wont fix this problem anyway. since it was being broadcast by his local affiliate, the Gameplan broadcast would have been blocked in his area. This used to **** me off when i had gameplan because they would switch to some lame big ten game during a blow out and then leave the gameplan broadcast blocked.

r5TPsooner
9/6/2008, 09:13 PM
Gameplan wont fix this problem anyway. since it was being broadcast by his local affiliate, the Gameplan broadcast would have been blocked in his area. This used to **** me off when i had gameplan because they would switch to some lame big ten game during a blow out and then leave the gameplan broadcast blocked.

If that's the case get your pitchfork!

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 09:18 PM
Yep, it's the same reason why I am stuck watching the SD Rangers broadcast instead of the HD Red Sox broadcast for the games this weekend even though I have MLB-EI...or some Rangers games are blacked out here in Austin because a weak "local" station in Marble Falls picks up 12 Rangers games a year....even though I cannot pick that station up with my huge antenna or sat dish.

SoonerJack
9/6/2008, 09:46 PM
In KC here and we got switched to Wake and Ole Miss. :-(

I already wrote ABC and our local affiliate as well.

Scott D
9/6/2008, 09:48 PM
it could have been worse for any of you

ABC started with the Penn St/Oregon St game...then for about 20 min switched to Cincy/OU before switching again to Wake/Ole Miss.

Thank god I watched the entire game on Gameplan.

StormySooner-IN
9/6/2008, 10:44 PM
Yea. That was the dumbest thing ever. (I watched it on ESPN360....but still).

That game was on ESPN2......as if anyone cared anyway...

nmsoonergirl
9/6/2008, 11:02 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TMcGee86
9/6/2008, 11:09 PM
Unbelievable. It switched here in Houston as well. I was so freaking PO'd.

My dad was watching the game in Abilene, TX. They switched and he got so mad he called the local affiliate. Here's my dad's email to me after the game:

Well, I was really enjoying the second half of the OU/Cincy game when at the end of the third quarter, when it was still at issue by the way, the station breaks for a commercial and comes back with Wake v. Ole Miss. I couldn't freakin' believe it. I was so effin pissed I called KTXS. I was real nice, "the decision to go to another game, was that a network decision", says I. "Yes it was and I am busy" says the KTXS program director. "Sorry to bother you. It just seems that Big 12 fans do not care about Wake or Ole Miss this time of year and would enjoy seeing the end of the OU game" says I. This jerk says, and I kid you not, "well here's a news flash for you sport, no one around here cares much about OU either."

I guess that ***-hat has never heard of Jack Mildren or Myrle Greathouse or any of the other OU greats from West Texas. I swear if I still lived in Abilene I would have driven to the studio and drug him out to the parking lot and beaten him.

SoonerFrance
9/6/2008, 11:42 PM
Sounds like those in the DFW area were very lucky to have seen the whole thing.

85Sooner
9/7/2008, 12:44 PM

It is blacked out once the game is scheduled for regional broadcast.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2008, 12:47 PM
It is blacked out once the game is scheduled for regional broadcast.

Move to another region.:D

Scott D
9/7/2008, 03:30 PM
he likes Austin too much for some strange reason ;)

bluedogok
9/7/2008, 03:48 PM
It's a great place except for the heat, better than a bunch of other places. I rarely get over by the campus so that isn't really a concern for me and there are so many "new" people here there really isn't that much of a "UT" presence here anymore unless you get over by the campus. My office only has 2 Whorns in it anymore (out of 14 employees), the same number of Red Raiders. Austin is not a "college town" it is a city with a college, it long ago outgrew the "college town" much to the lament of some of the old Austinites. there is some nice "scenery" around the campus though :D

Of course, I am not "that" sensitive about anti-OU stuff either, I have stickers on my car and wear OU gear and very rarely get any negative comments, usually only positive from fellow Sooners here. I know many "fans" that couldn't live down here because there isn't a bunch of blind Sooner worship here, but most of them couldn't live outside of Oklahoma either. I faced more crap when I lived in Dallas that I ever have living in Austin. It seems the further they get away from Austin the more obnoxious they get.