View Full Version : Report Card

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 06:53 PM
Offense : A-

Defense: C-

Special Teams: D-

Offensive Play calling: A-

Defensive Play calling: B-

Since defense and special teams win championships, this team has alot to improve upon...

Thoughts? I'm interested in seeing everyone elses report card...

Sooner Eclipse
9/6/2008, 06:56 PM
I think i'd give the special teams an F but other than that, agreed.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 07:03 PM
Special teams were an F.

boomrsoonr
9/6/2008, 07:07 PM
Special teams was definately an F. Other than that, I wouldn't be too harsh here. They played a very good football team and beat their ***!!

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 07:10 PM
Special Teams a d-
The rest was a bunch of Bad calls and some Mistakes
Just sayin

tommieharris91
9/6/2008, 07:12 PM
Ha, other than our kickoff team looking like it only had 8 players on it, we played pretty well.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 07:13 PM
OUr kickoff team looked like we were playing on it, and Vet was the captain. :P

David Earl
9/6/2008, 07:14 PM
Defense didn't play that badly. UC is a good ball team that went 10-3 last season; they returned many starters. Our defense allowed two TD's off of turnovers and one late junk-TD. The other TD was on a kick return.

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 07:15 PM
Defense didn't play that badly. UC is a good ball team that went 10-3 last season; they returned many starters. Our defense allowed two TD's off of turnovers and one late junk-TD. The other TD was on a kick return.

Winner !

auto
9/6/2008, 07:15 PM
OL B+
WR A
RBS A-
TE's B-

DL B+
DB's B+
LB's B

Special- Remanded to remedial education

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:18 PM
Ha, other than our kickoff team looking like it only had 8 players on it, we played pretty well.

I totally disagree. Once again we will have another inept Brent V defense. We might have defensive speed but we can't tackel.

This year will be very interesting. OUr defense should be average like it has been in previous years. If we go all the way it will be because the offense is on fire. Either or, most games this year should be high scoring affairs.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 07:25 PM
I totally disagree. Once again we will have another inept Brent V defense. We might have defensive speed but we can't tackel.

This year will be very interesting. OUr defense should be average like it has been in previous years. If we go all the way it will be because the offense is on fire. Either or, most games this year should be high scoring affairs.

I somehow knew this post would result in someone turning red.

NTTAWWT

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:26 PM
Not red yet. Just concerned.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 07:29 PM
Not red yet. Just concerned.

Look at your SPEK thingy -- it's been turned red.

Red SPEK is not good SPEK. Someone took issue with a post of yours it would seem.

SWFloridaSooner
9/6/2008, 07:31 PM
I thought we looked like crap in the second quarter and special teams needs a lot of work, but they put it together after the half.

mustangsooner
9/6/2008, 07:37 PM
I think they played well on both sides of the ball. Special teams were not up to par today. I think if we give it a little time we will be alright. I think there were a lot of missed tackles but that is going to happen in the first game. :D

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:38 PM
Offense : A-
Defense: C
Special Teams: F
Offensive Play calling: A+
Defensive Play calling: A-

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 07:39 PM

So what yer saying Is your Smarter than Bob ?:rolleyes:
I tend to Believe Coach has the Best Man availble in the Job,:P

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:39 PM

Red SPEK is not good SPEK. Someone took issue with a post of yours it would seem.

Haha.

:D

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:42 PM

It was Tommyharris91. He did not like what I said about Brent V so he voted on my rep twice.

I gave him a favorable vote in return.. That's the way REAL Sooners treat each other.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 07:43 PM
It was Tommyharris91. He did not like what I said about Brent V so he voted on my rep twice.

I gave him a favorable vote in return.. That's the way REAL Sooners treat each other.

That Tommie's a bastage! :mad:

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:47 PM
I like your sig Bill.

Denver_Sooner
That Tommie's a bastage! :mad:

LOL

Nah, I'm sure he's a pretty cool guy. At least he's a Sooner so he's cool in my book...

josh09
Mines pretty basic:

Offense: A

Defense: C+ (weve gotta give some credit to cincy though, we werent exactly supposed to stop them every series in the first place)

Special Teams: D- (would have been an F, had it not been for the slightly improved play on kick coverage after the run back)

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 07:48 PM
I like your sig Bill.

Yeah, I thought that one up myself. ;)

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 07:48 PM

You are so much smarter than Brent I expect you to Have yer Carcass In Bobs Office Monday Morning esplaning how you Can do Better :rolleyes:
Till then Give Me Honorable Mention for at least Reddin ya :D
ReaL SOONERS dont Talk Snarky about Our Coach's
Just sayin

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I thought that one up myself. ;)

You such a Fart smeller .:D

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 07:51 PM
You are so much smarter than Brent I expect you to Have yer Carcass In Bobs Office Monday Morning esplaning how you Can do Better :rolleyes:
Just sayin

He said your neg didn't even dent his paint. :P

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:52 PM
Just sayin

Fo Sho

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:53 PM
Just sayin

Chill out there Bobby Knight. If I was to show up in Bobs office on Monday I would show him how great I play NCAA 2008 on my Xbox 360 and I promise you the job would be mine.

OU_Sooners75
Offense: A- To put up 52 points on a team that will vie for the Big East Championship is impressive. Still some things can be improved on.
Defense: B The defense had a lapse in the second quarter, other than that, they buckled down and did their job.
Special Teams: F- if you can have a F minus. That was the worst I have seen a Stoops team play special teams.

Offensive play calling: A Good solid play calling. I thought there was a bit too much passing, but it worked.
Defensive play calling: A. Outside of the two drives after turnovers, the defense played about as well as you could.

Overall Grade: C. Thanks to the special teams play, this grade is low. But special teams is a very important part of the game.

Great game and test for the Sooners. Now we know a little more about our team. Lets see how the Washington game goes to get a more better view, since it is on the road.

tommieharris91

Ooo, I can't wait to see the gray you gave me. Anyway, REAL Sooners don't complain when we give up only 326 yards of offense, allow just 3 yards a carry, have about a 5 minute time of possession edge, outrush the other team by at least 2-to-1, and win by 32.

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:54 PM
Wait, OleVet is Bob Knight??

You got me confused. :confused:

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2008, 07:56 PM
Outside of the kick coverage the Sooners were solid today; seems like when we blitzed it was pretty effective, but when we only rushed 4 Cincy made us pay; they are a good team and deserve some credit for a pretty good effort today

tommieharris91
Offense: A- To put up 52 points on a team that will vie for the Big East Championship is impressive. Still some things can be improved on.
Defense: B The defense had a lapse in the second quarter, other than that, they buckled down and did their job.
Special Teams: F- if you can have a F minus. That was the worst I have seen a Stoops team play special teams.

Offensive play calling: A Good solid play calling. I thought there was a bit too much passing, but it worked.
Defensive play calling: A. Outside of the two drives after turnovers, the defense played about as well as you could.

Overall Grade: C. Thanks to the special teams play, this grade is low. But special teams is a very important part of the game.

Great game and test for the Sooners. Now we know a little more about our team. Lets see how the Washington game goes to get a more better view, since it is on the road.

I'm pretty much with you, cept I think this was B work today.

olevetonahill
Chill out there Bobby Knight. If I was to show up in Bobs office on Monday I would show him how great I play NCAA 2008 on my Xbox 360 and I promise you the job would be mine.

get er done there exlax.

OU_Sooners75
Just sayin

I will talk about our coaches if it is necessary to do so.

In today's game, I thought Brent got away from the Blitz in the second quarter and it showed. But we should be able to play against any team without blitzing.

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 07:57 PM
Lord....... This has gotten out of hand

OU_Sooners75
9/6/2008, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty much with you, cept I think this was B work today.

I pretty much took an average of all the grades to get the overall. 4 points for an A, 0 for an F. Average 2.5 = C.

:)

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 08:00 PM
Lord....... This has gotten out of hand

Things can snowball in a hurry.

Vaevictis
9/6/2008, 08:03 PM
F is for fired, as in "if this keeps up, somebody needs to get fired."

But I bet it's fixed next week and won't come to that.

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 08:05 PM
Things can snowball in a hurry.

specialy Dissin The Coaches :mad:
Like Ive said Critique the Game, Say what ya saw wrong . But STFU about the Coaches less yer ready to Be In Bobs Office Monday Morn .
Just sayin

Turd_Ferguson
9/6/2008, 08:07 PM
Like Ive said Critique the Game, Say what ya saw wrong . But STFU about the Coaches less yer ready to Be In Bobs Office Monday Morn .
Just sayinLock'r down NOW. Best post of the thread.!:pop:

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:08 PM
Just sayin

I am ready to be in Bobs office Monday morning. For $300,000 per year as an assistant you can count my *** in. When can I start? Just sayin

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:11 PM
I am ready to be in Bobs office Monday morning. For $300,000 per year as an assistant you can count my *** in. When can I start? Just sayin

They don't hire idiots.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 08:12 PM
They don't hire idiots.

:pop:

OU_Sooners75
9/6/2008, 08:13 PM
Just sayin

Dissin the coach is one thing. But talking about what you think is wrong is another.

I have said plenty of things about what i have seen, mainly tendancies that Venerables does.

Not reallly dising the man, he is one of the best in the business, but it is point out what I see.

And I was raised, if you have an opinion, then you need to state it.

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 08:16 PM

Ya gotta prove yer smarter than the water Boy before you get a shot to even try out .:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 08:18 PM
Dissin the coach is one thing. But talking about what you think is wrong is another.

I have said plenty of things about what i have seen, mainly tendancies that Venerables does.

Not reallly dising the man, he is one of the best in the business, but it is point out what I see.

Critiquieing and Just runnin Mouth smack On the Coaches is a Lil differant . Ya think ?

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:19 PM
Ya gotta prove yer smarter than the water Boy before you get a shot to even try out .:rolleyes:

My God, how do you have over 24000 posts? Do you have a job?

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:20 PM

Read his profile.

Dude. You should be hiding your stupidity, not showing it.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 08:21 PM
Read his profile.

Dude. You should be hiding your stupidity, not showing it.

Profile? What's that? He didn't know when he was red, but instead of laying low and learning some stuff on here, he steps out and makes a fool of himself.

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 08:22 PM

Yup I get paid a Bounty fer shootin nOObs with Big mouths :D

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:29 PM
No I just read his profile and apologize for that remark. Actually if he is a disabled Vet then he has my complete respect. As for the rest of this post and this group for that matter. You have my word that I will not come back. Not my type of Soonerfans here. I'll lurk every now and then but make posts... I'll pass.

Once again sorry to olevetonahill for that last remark.... someone close this thread or delete it please..

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:31 PM
No I just read his profile and apologize for that remark. Actually if he is a disabled Vet then he has my complete respect. As for the rest of this post and this group for that matter. You have my word that I will not come back. Not my type of Soonerfans here. I'll lurk every now and then but make posts... I'll pass.

Once again sorry to olevetonahill for that last remark.... someone close this thread or delete it please..

What are your type of Sooner Fans? The ones that bash coaches?

There is this phrase I learned a long time ago that I think I should pass on to you. Think Before You Speak.

Good Riddance.

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 08:34 PM

Dont want nor need yer Pity
Just Post with out smackin the Coaches :rolleyes:

Remembering Tom Stidham
9/6/2008, 08:36 PM
Reading the comments on this subject, I recall John Cronley's comment when the crowd booed as Bud benched his first team while leading by 50 pts. Mr. Cronley said "How much rice can a Chinaman eat?"

cheezyq
9/6/2008, 08:40 PM

Exactly. If the defense has players out of position and not tackling well, those are generally coaching problems. It's that simple, so I call it like I see it. It's probably not talent when ALL our players are out of position or missing tackles...that's a teaching issue.

With Venables, he's a dang good recruiter, brings a lot of energy to the team, and can coach the HECK out of the defensive line. But when it comes to overall game-planning and putting players in the right positions throughout the game, he's inconsistent at best. It happens time and time again. He has his good games too, but we've had too many games where our defense just plain looks confused. I sure as heck don't want the guy fired, but someone needs to step up and get our guys in the right places on a consistent basis.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and there is nothing wrong with having an opinion about Venables, as long as people are reasonable about it. But I still think it's stupid that some have to use the neg as their counter to an argument rather than just forming a reasonable opinion themselves.

That said, I'm preparing myself for a sea of red, as this post is sure to tick off the cult of Venables lovers that seems to linger around here. ;)

r5TPsooner
9/6/2008, 08:41 PM
I think i'd give the special teams an F but other than that, agreed.

It would have been an F but we sniffed out the fake punt and scored 7 becuz of the special teams.

I'd give em a strong D-.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 08:41 PM
With Venables, he's a dang good recruiter, brings a lot of energy to the team, and can coach the HECK out of the defensive line.

He's the linebackers coach.

boomrsoonr
9/6/2008, 08:42 PM
C'mon guys. It's the 2nd game of the season, and the first against a decent team. Personally, I think they were trying a lot of different things to see what worked, and what didn't work or needed to be worked on to make it work. I'd rather they do that now, than wait until we're in the meat of Conference play.

What's wrong with changing things up and seeing what would or would not work? Jeeze, we won by 32 freakin' points!!!

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:42 PM
He's the linebackers coach.\

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 08:43 PM
Exactly. If the defense has players out of position and not tackling well, those are generally coaching problems. It's that simple, so I call it like I see it. It's probably not talent when ALL our players are out of position or missing tackles...that's a teaching issue.

With Venables, he's a dang good recruiter, brings a lot of energy to the team, and can coach the HECK out of the defensive line. But when it comes to overall game-planning and putting players in the right positions throughout the game, he's inconsistent at best. It happens time and time again. He has his good games too, but we've had too many games where our defense just plain looks confused. I sure as heck don't want the guy fired, but someone needs to step up and get our guys in the right places on a consistent basis.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and there is nothing wrong with having an opinion about Venables, as long as people are reasonable about it. But I still think it's stupid that some have to use the neg as their counter to an argument rather than just forming a reasonable opinion themselves.

That said, I'm preparing myself for a sea of red, as this post is sure to tick off the cult of Venables lovers that seems to linger around here. ;)

In the words of Herbert Morrison during the Hindenburg disaster

"Oh the humanity!!!!"

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 08:44 PM
What's wrong with changing things up and seeing what would or would not work? Jeeze, we won by 32 freakin' points!!!
Dat R gud math.......:D

tommieharris91
9/6/2008, 08:45 PM

You kinda answered your own question.

boomrsoonr

I don't count the last touchdown since it was against the male cheerleaders. :D

OU_Sooners75

My thoughts exactly. Last game like this, Fiesta Bowl.

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 08:46 PM

Dayum New Math :eek: :rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
9/6/2008, 08:47 PM
I don't count the last touchdown since it was against the male cheerleaders. :D

That's funny because the record books for all time will count it. Doesn't matter how the points got on the board, they got on the board.

OU_Sooners75
9/6/2008, 08:51 PM
C'mon guys. It's the 2nd game of the season, and the first against a decent team. Personally, I think they were trying a lot of different things to see what worked, and what didn't work or needed to be worked on to make it work. I'd rather they do that now, than wait until we're in the meat of Conference play.

:texan:

I'm Sorry, but this is not NCAA football 2008 or 2009 on your Xbox. This is the real thing. When things are working fine and you got all the momentum, you don't change them up. The only time you change something is when it is not working.

Ever hear the saying, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it?"

The secodn quarter when we stopped blitzing and started to play more zone, we allowed 13 points. yes there were two turnovers that caused us to not score, but both those drives were for over 70 yards (1 82 yards another of 71 yards).

Mandibleclaw
9/6/2008, 08:53 PM
Cincy is a decent ballclub so I am overall happy with their performance, I feel sorry for the special teams squad this week during drills tho.

mustangsooner
9/6/2008, 09:02 PM
I wanna know exactly what people expect out of Brent V. I think when Bo Pelini was here we had the same problems. I have heard time and time again that this defense is a bend but don't break type of D. The Tampa 2 or cover 2 defense. Well that is exactly what they did today they gave up some yardage today but they didn't break they stood solid when they needed too. I also remember when Mike was here we had some of the same issues. I get so tired of people who are always bashing Venables every game. I mean he must be doing something right he sure is winning a lot of ballgames for messing up so much.

Curly Bill
9/6/2008, 09:04 PM
I mean he must be doing something right he sure is winning a lot of ballgames for messing up so much.

I think the issue is the collapse or two we seem to have each season under his defensive watch, and our play in bowl games with him.

Soonermagik
9/6/2008, 09:05 PM
Special Teams = F

I'm sorry, but that was the worst special teams performance (or lack thereof) I have ever seen!!!!

On a positive note, I was impressed with the offense.

boomrsoonr
9/6/2008, 09:05 PM
:texan:

I'm Sorry, but this is not NCAA football 2008 or 2009 on your Xbox. This is the real thing. When things are working fine and you got all the momentum, you don't change them up. The only time you change something is when it is not working.

Ever hear the saying, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it?"

The secodn quarter when we stopped blitzing and started to play more zone, we allowed 13 points. yes there were two turnovers that caused us to not score, but both those drives were for over 70 yards (1 82 yards another of 71 yards).

First of all, I don't play kiddie games. Haven't owned, or cared to own, a video game since Atari.

The reason you DO try different things are so you don't become one dimensional, thus giving your future opponents the upper hand and they wind up beating you. (See some key games in recent years for an example of that.) And you do that when things are working really good, so you can revert back to it if needed. If these players can't make those plays, it gives you things to work on during the weekly practices.

You guys act like they got beat. And since none of us are making the calls (or the money), I'll let those that know more than us make the decisions.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2008, 09:08 PM
Cincy SHOULD have been a preseason top 25 based on where they finished last year and the players they had coming back. We were a 21pt favorite and despite being pushed for a while Cincy had to score on the last play of the game to lose by 26.

Special teams passed...just barely because we didn't lose the game because of them but that is about it.

Offense was an A-. Broyles is the real deal. Still would like to see Halzle get a few more snaps.

Defense 1st half C- 2nd half B+ Overall C+

tulsaoilerfan
Special Teams = F

I'm sorry, but that was the worst special teams performance (or lack thereof) I have ever seen!!!!

On a positive note, I was impressed with the offense.

On the bright side at least we only had 11 players on the field for all those long kickoff returns. :)

mustangsooner
I think the issue is the collapse or two we seem to have each season under his defensive watch, and our play in bowl games with him.

Yeah I understand that but I'm saying that how much of that can you blame on the Venables. There are always going to be games that are not played perfect. May be his fault sometimes and it may not. He seems to be doing a good job to me. The bowl games are a whole other animal. I hear it from lots of fans that its all Venables fault and how bad he sucks blah blah blah. I just didn't realize there were so many great coaches out there unemployed I guess.;)

GottaHavePride
9/6/2008, 09:12 PM
Special teams were an F.

qgEvy60bZYI

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 09:13 PM
On the bright side at least we only had 11 players on the field for all those long kickoff returns. :)

..and they didn't have to use the TWISTER mat.....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/6/2008, 09:32 PM
With Venables, he's a dang good recruiter, brings a lot of energy to the team, and can coach the HECK out of the defensive line. But when it comes to overall game-planning and putting players in the right positions throughout the game, he's inconsistent at best.

so here is my question - if our issues on defense are related to linebacker play, is venables still a great recruiter?

after watching the first game, i was thinking this was going to be a loooooooooooooong year.

lewis wasn't even leaving his stance until after the ball was handed off. to his credit, he was solid once he moved but i was like uh, you are never going to get to the edge on a big 12 running back.

reynolds was semi-improved in that instead of moving before the ball was snapped like he did last year (which resulted in so many long runs for teams like WV it wasn't funny), he was at least waiting til after the ball was snapped before he moved. however, he was still running straight into a blocker on 80% of the plays (which weren't many i admit) and then going the way the blocker wanted him too.

the only bright spot was clayton but he still plays like he's going to get the hook at any second.

enter today - lewis was still the slowest of the defense off the ball, but it wasn't that noticeable a delay (one beat after the snap or so) and as such he was able to get in the hole and just like the week before he was solid from stance to tackle.

reynolds - i don't know what to say here - he makes a couple of good plays (the forced fumble, the pass knockdown) but its the other 45 where the other team mauls us in this void the size of kansas where you are like, holy crap they had to have lined up wrong. you rewind el tivo and there is #8 - ball is snapped and he runs right at an offensive lineman and then moves backwards, thankfully off camera to see the inevitable pancake. i'm not sure if we keep track of pancaked defenders, but he may set the single season OU record this year. the guy was the weakest link on the defense last year and nothing has changed except instead of gouging us off tackle they now gouge us offguard (with his position change).

then i watch this fake punt and this huge guy isn't fooled, flows with the play, maintains discipline on a defender, jumps and knocks down the pass. i'm on the phone with a buddy going who is that guy? why isn't he seeing the field? man, he looks like a linebacker. "oh, that is jr bryant our juco MLB that they thought would start. he can't pick up the schemes." the fires of a thousand suns can't eclipse my anger at the gods of football timing.

the other issue on D that has plagued us since the mike stoops day is the safety who can't seem to grasp the concept of getting deeper than receivers. not sure if this is just a disease transmitted in the norman water supply or if its just proximity to norm, but whatever - mr holmes please stop looking in the backfield and get some depth.

Mandibleclaw
9/6/2008, 09:37 PM
That is a dead on analysis jkm, Stoops needs you on the staff.

soonervet
9/6/2008, 09:38 PM
The bottome line is, it is hard to really evaluate the defense when cinci go the ball on our side of the field repetedly. besides a few long run breakdowns early, and the touchdown in the corner of the endzone it was pretty good. I would have to agree with the other posts.........special teams overall C, kickoff coverage F.

Broyles looked like a stud.

BTW, who was the sasquatch that caught the touchdown for us. :)

Johnny Utah
9/6/2008, 09:50 PM
I wanna know exactly what people expect out of Brent V. I think when Bo Pelini was here we had the same problems. I have heard time and time again that this defense is a bend but don't break type of D. The Tampa 2 or cover 2 defense. Well that is exactly what they did today they gave up some yardage today but they didn't break they stood solid when they needed too. I also remember when Mike was here we had some of the same issues. I get so tired of people who are always bashing Venables every game. I mean he must be doing something right he sure is winning a lot of ballgames for messing up so much.

So we have had, and continue to have, these same "issues" on D. The team is overall good enough to "win a lot of ballgames" during the season, but the D gets consistently exposed, especially in post-season play. IMHO, we made an unranked (and unfamiliar) team look too good at times today. Thoughts?

Scott D
9/6/2008, 09:53 PM
So we have had, and continue to have, these same "issues" on D. The team is overall good enough to "win a lot of ballgames" during the season, but the D gets consistently exposed, especially in post-season play. IMHO, we made an unranked (and unfamiliar) team look too good at times today. Thoughts?

Thoughts are this is a heavily senior laden team that won 10 games last year and beat some of the primadonna big programs of the Big East last year. A team that Ohio State is ducking to play the Ohio Sisters of the Poor and Youngstown State instead.

OU_Sooners75
9/6/2008, 09:55 PM

Perfection, nothing less. :P

I am not bashing him, just pointing out what I saw today. After the half, they switched it back and went back to blitzing. It made a difference.

boomrsoonr was talking about there is nothing wrong with switching up. And there isn't but if it is not working, then it is important to get back to what was working.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2008, 10:02 PM
OU gave up over 200 yards passing in the first half but managed to limit them to 12 yards or so in the 2nd...while I m a fan of no huddle, I m also a fan of overwhelming the opposition to the point they hate to take the field, much like what OU did in the 2nd...those things are related..no huddle and quick scores= D on the field a lot and a lot of opportunities for the other team....

lendy holmes looked like a corner trying to play safety today..

and I would like a ballhawk at db who doesn't always wait for the receiver to make the catch before they close on them...dear lord that 4th down play that the cincy qb threw off the wrong foot falling to the right and throwing to the left should have been intercepted or at least knocked down

but they played a darn good team and with a fine qb who I was very impressed with

OU_Sooners75
9/6/2008, 10:02 PM
First of all, I don't play kiddie games. Haven't owned, or cared to own, a video game since Atari.

The reason you DO try different things are so you don't become one dimensional, thus giving your future opponents the upper hand and they wind up beating you. (See some key games in recent years for an example of that.) And you do that when things are working really good, so you can revert back to it if needed. If these players can't make those plays, it gives you things to work on during the weekly practices.

You guys act like they got beat. And since none of us are making the calls (or the money), I'll let those that know more than us make the decisions.

When you get away from your entire blitz package and it begins to fail you, then it needs to be reinstated right way. The entire first quarter we put pressure on the Bearcat offense. The second quarter we sat back and played more of a read defense, which backfired and allowed two long drives for Cincy to score and a 3rd to get all the way to the 6 yard line before Franks' int in the endzone. The layback defense damn near yeilded 3 TDs. Not exactly effective.

I agree, we need to switch things up, but we also need to learn how to get back to what was working during the play of the game, not just at halftime.

I have noticed one thing. When our defense under BV is playing agressively and the play calling is also agressive, we tend to do better.

Also, it doesn't matter if you are one dimensional on defense. If you can stop the run and pass, you got it made, no matter how it happens.

One last thing. If you do not get pressure on ANY QB, they will pick you apart. Blitzing gives you a better opportunity to get pressure on the QB.

cheezyq
9/6/2008, 10:20 PM
so here is my question - if our issues on defense are related to linebacker play, is venables still a great recruiter?

From the standpoint of getting the players he targets, he's great. And it's not as if these guys are lumps with no talent. The problem is making sure the linebackers know where to be when the ball is snapped. That's why we blitz so often, I think. We're hiding the fact that our guys don't know where to go.

then i watch this fake punt and this huge guy isn't fooled, flows with the play, maintains discipline on a defender, jumps and knocks down the pass. i'm on the phone with a buddy going who is that guy? why isn't he seeing the field? man, he looks like a linebacker. "oh, that is jr bryant our juco MLB that they thought would start. he can't pick up the schemes." the fires of a thousand suns can't eclipse my anger at the gods of football timing.

I agree, we seem to focus too much on speed and not enough about smarts. I personally think that's the reason everyone runs successful misdirection and delayed screens on us. Then they get our secondary hesitating and paste us over the top.

the other issue on D that has plagued us since the mike stoops day is the safety who can't seem to grasp the concept of getting deeper than receivers. not sure if this is just a disease transmitted in the norman water supply or if its just proximity to norm, but whatever - mr holmes please stop looking in the backfield and get some depth.

Again, I think we're trying to mask our problems or something. I'm all for blitzing and putting pressure on the QB, but there were times where we were bringing 6-7 guys every other play, even though most of the time we could get solid pressure with the front four. Rushing 7 guys is what led to the 4th down conversion that put them on the 5. I like blitz, but do it too often, and you're bound to get burned.

Simply stated, our defenders don't CONSISTENTLY know where they're supposed to be. That's what I see when we play. We out-athlete most of the teams we play, and most teams are just overwhelmed by our pure speed and muscle. When other teams have decent players/talent, the opposing coach seems to know how to exploit whatever weaknesses we have. Regardless, the simple fact is that if we play as sloppily as we played much of the game, there's no way we come out of the regular season unscathed and in the Orange Bowl. Which is sad, because I seriously think we're the most talented team in the country right now.

GottaHavePride
9/6/2008, 10:47 PM
You know, we used to blitz to confuse the hell out of the opposing QB. Some of those teams never knew where pressure was coming from, or if it was coming at all. And then all of a sudden you have Roy Williams flying at you, and you panic like a little bitch.

Flying Scotsman
9/6/2008, 10:48 PM
Do we get to grade the radio broadcast??

It wasn't very good....

TMcGee86
9/6/2008, 11:30 PM
You know how they say if a bunch of chick's live together their cycles all start to line up together...

well apparently that has happened to my favorite teams. Dallas and OU have become a mirror image of each other.

Great O-line, Great QB play, Great RB play, Great D-line.

Dang good WR's but young and as yet unproven past the first 2-3.

Suspect ILB play.

DB's that look good on paper but still seem to give up big plays.

Horrible special team play.

I apologize to everyone. I never meant for this to happen. I'll try and keep my Dallas shirts in a different drawer from my OU shirts and see if that helps.

MissouriSooner
9/6/2008, 11:42 PM
I, for one, would like to see Broyles run back some kickoffs. He looked at least as fast as anyone else on the field today, and perhaps the fastest. Hope Bob lets him return a few sometime soon.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/6/2008, 11:48 PM
Simply stated, our defenders don't CONSISTENTLY know where they're supposed to be. That's what I see when we play. We out-athlete most of the teams we play, and most teams are just overwhelmed by our pure speed and muscle. When other teams have decent players/talent, the opposing coach seems to know how to exploit whatever weaknesses we have. Regardless, the simple fact is that if we play as sloppily as we played much of the game, there's no way we come out of the regular season unscathed and in the Orange Bowl. Which is sad, because I seriously think we're the most talented team in the country right now.

i know your opinion of a great recruiter is the same as others, i just dispute its relevance to the game. a great evaluator of talent is much more precious in college football than a guy who can land the guy he targets.

venables historically has been really good at evaluating high school weak side linebackers and poor at middle linebackers. he's been the opposite with regard to jucos (great at MLB, poor at WLB). however, he has flat out whiffed the last couple of recruiting classes (although lewis has some promise). obviously, he hasn't reached chuck long levels, but he is rapidly moving down the ladder from one of our most consistant evaluators to average/below average.

first of all, every team has weaknesses - better high school passing games, 85 scholarships, and limited practice time pretty much make that a certainty. we just happen to be so fanatical that we are exposed to the flaws of every OU team on a play by play week in/week out basis. what we look for in teams is that elusive it. none of us knows what it is or how a team gets it (or loses it for that matter) but we know it when we see it. the 2000 team had it (the 2000 fsu team had it too), the 2003 team had it (well, for 12 games at least), the 2004 team had it. those teams walked out and you could just feel them about to reap the whirlwind.

cheezyq
9/6/2008, 11:49 PM
He's the linebackers coach.

I'm not sure if he's only LB/DCoord this year, but as late as last year, he also coached the DLine. That being the case, I think he's a better DL coach than LB coach.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/6/2008, 11:54 PM
i have a hard time blaming the second quarter on venables not blitzing. given the offensive onslaught of the first 2 drives, it seems the sensible move to zone blitz and have more in coverage for the INT. what he didn't figure on was wilson getting greedy again and throwing 2 long bombs 2 series in a row, giving cinci time to regroup. once mo changes it can be tough to recover.

btw, that was about the first time that i've ever heard stoops basically throw a coach under the bus in an interview. most of the time its penalties and not playing smart...

Curly Bill
I'm not sure if he's only LB/DCoord this year, but as late as last year, he also coached the DLine. That being the case, I think he's a better DL coach than LB coach.

Jackie Shipp is the D-line coach. I doubt there's a D-1 program in the nation where the LB coach also coaches the D-line.

Shipp has been the D-line coach since 2000.

http://soonersports.com/school-bio/jackie_shipp.html

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi

jackie shipp has coached the DL since he's been here in 99

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2008, 11:56 PM
Hey. We looked much better today against a pretty strong Cincy team than Hook 'em is looking tonight against a very mediocre UTEP team.

cheezyq
9/6/2008, 11:59 PM
i know your opinion of a great recruiter is the same as others, i just dispute its relevance to the game. a great evaluator of talent is much more precious in college football than a guy who can land the guy he targets.

Oh I totally agree with you. My only contradicting thought is that it's hard to believe that he's whiffing on talent evaluation when lots of high profile teams are going after the same players. That leads me to believe that the problem is more in the teaching than the recruiting.

venables historically has been really good at evaluating high school weak side linebackers and poor at middle linebackers. he's been the opposite with regard to jucos (great at MLB, poor at WLB). however, he has flat out whiffed the last couple of recruiting classes (although lewis has some promise). obviously, he hasn't reached chuck long levels, but he is rapidly moving down the ladder from one of our most consistant evaluators to average/below average.

Same as above. He may have weaknesses in his talent evaluation, but I tend to believe the problem arises after they get here more than anything else.

first of all, every team has weaknesses - better high school passing games, 85 scholarships, and limited practice time pretty much make that a certainty. we just happen to be so fanatical that we are exposed to the flaws of every OU team on a play by play week in/week out basis. what we look for in teams is that elusive it. none of us knows what it is or how a team gets it (or loses it for that matter) but we know it when we see it. the 2000 team had it (the 2000 fsu team had it too), the 2003 team had it (well, for 12 games at least), the 2004 team had it. those teams walked out and you could just feel them about to reap the whirlwind.

You won't get any argument from me on this paragraph. Well said. :D

cheezyq
9/7/2008, 12:03 AM
jackie shipp has coached the DL since he's been here in 99

Seems I remember reading that it was a coordinated effort between the two, and that the DB was left solely to BJW. I guess I could be wrong there. Either way, I like how our DL performs in games, and Venables does have a little to do with that as our DC. It would be nice to get the same results out of the rest of the D.

Curly Bill
9/7/2008, 12:06 AM
Seems I remember reading that it was a coordinated effort between the two, and that the DB was left solely to BJW. I guess I could be wrong there. Either way, I like how our DL performs in games, and Venables does have a little to do with that as our DC. It would be nice to get the same results out of the rest of the D.

The DB's are BJW's.

Venables has the LB's.

cheezyq
9/7/2008, 12:12 AM
The DB's are BJW's.

Venables has the LB's.

I'll concede that, as I can't remember the source where I read about BV/JS and the DL last year, and whether it was reputable or not.

So, I guess my updated argument is that he brings a lot of energy to the team and seems to be a very good recruiter. :)

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2008, 01:34 AM
If I were on the Sooner coaching staff, I would love to grade this game. It was typical of a 1st game (Chatty only counted as 1/2 a game at best) in that there were lots of mistakes. There was one areas that needs plenty of work (kick coverage) and just tons of coachable things to work on keep the egos in check. But the bottom line is they rang up 50pts and 600 yards on a talented and experienced defensive *BCS* conference team. And there is every indication OU can get better in most areas. The defense may not have the ability to be dominant, but I think they can be very good and maybe the best in the conference. Combine that with the the offense and I think the overall team could be right up there with the 2000 and 2003 teams.

JLEW1818
9/7/2008, 01:40 AM
B -

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2008, 02:13 AM

Good teams can exploit our defensive weaknesses; give a good coaching staff a month to practice and prepare for us and we will struggle, but during the season their just isn't the time for most teams to figure it out and get it perfected

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2008, 02:16 AM
So, um, did we win? :)

tommieharris91
9/7/2008, 02:37 AM
So, um, did we win? :)

It was our worst home loss ever.

SoonerKnight
9/7/2008, 05:51 AM

:rolleyes: Another rookie goes down!!!!! Quick some put gas to the fire!!!!!!!!! :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/7/2008, 10:55 AM
Oh I totally agree with you. My only contradicting thought is that it's hard to believe that he's whiffing on talent evaluation when lots of high profile teams are going after the same players. That leads me to believe that the problem is more in the teaching than the recruiting.

lots of teams whiff on evaluation - i can give you so many examples it isn't even funny. probably the easiest one at linebacker is the aj hawk class at ohio state - he and that other 1st round pick were 3 stars (offered by mac schools and the like) - the jewel of the class was mike d'andrea (or something like that) who was a 5 star (#3 player in the nation), offered by everyone under the sun (including us) and never started for the buckeyes.

imo, linebacker is one of the 3 hardest positions to project into college because it (along with DE and TE), deals with weight projection without losing speed. taking a 190lb high school kid and trying to figure out if he can hold 250 lbs and stay at a 4.7 with some measure of accuracy just boggles my mind. its why a lot of coaches wait to take linebackers from juco, because projecting a 235 lb guy to 250 is much easier.

the issue is that you have 3 guys to bring on campus every year. you have to hit on 1.5 a year to have a good group of linebackers every year. his hit rate has never been very high, its why we've had so many jucos roll through. of course, now he has been striking out on his jucos which puts him in a tenuous position.

Same as above. He may have weaknesses in his talent evaluation, but I tend to believe the problem arises after they get here more than anything else.

the ncaa has forced coaches to bite the bullet and live with flaws by limiting practice time.

you get 15 spring practices of 3 hours a piece (includes scrimmages) 45 hours

you get 20 days of pre-season practices (includes scrimmage) (2 have to be in shorts and helmets, 2 have to be in shoulder pads and helmets, 16 can be in full pads - these numbers may be off) so lets say 108 hours

during the football season you get 20 hours a week (includes meetings, film study, practices, weightlifting etc). typically 14 weeks in a season so 280 hours.

if you make it to a bowl, you get between an additional week to 4 weeks of practices (still 20 hours a week). so 80 hours.

that is 513 hours if my math is right - equivalent to what professional players get in 3 months or so (solid). as such a coach has to strike a balance between technique, positioning, opponents, and conditioning. of course, stoops' philosophy is to take conditioning out of the picture by making it "voluntary".