PDA

View Full Version : PAthetiC 10 refs **** up yet another game!

SoonerStormchaser
9/6/2008, 06:33 PM
Seriously...go and see the highlights of the BYU/Udub game and tell me what was excessive about that celebration? He wasn't taunting anyone...he just kept his team in the game with 2 seconds to go.

ALL REFS SUCK!!!

swardboy
9/6/2008, 08:08 PM
I think the refs decided that game.

soonermagicgirl
9/6/2008, 08:49 PM
The refs really messed up that game..

Soonerfan85
9/6/2008, 08:53 PM
As much as I hate to see a player penalized in that situstion, the fact is that players are all aware of the rules. Unfortunately this guy picked a terrible time to loose his concentration and throw the ball high into the air. It sucks, but the officials really had no choice but to throw a flag.

For those who'd say "the officials shouldn't make that call at the end of the game", I say "the players shouldn't give the officials a reason to make that call at the end of the game". The officials on the field have to call the game according to the rules. Even if the rules, such as the excessive celebration rule, are not popular with the fans.

Mandibleclaw
9/6/2008, 08:56 PM
It's unfortunate but it's hard not to call that a penalty, change the rule but I don't blame the ref in this instance.

r5TPsooner
9/6/2008, 08:59 PM
It's unfortunate but it's hard not to call that a penalty, change the rule but I don't blame the ref in this instance.

In a "normal" scoring situation I agree with you, but in that situation, with the game potentially on the line as time is expiring, I say keep the flag in your pocket.

Soonermagik
9/6/2008, 09:06 PM
The refs are out of control. I think the celebration penalty needs to be reserved to severe situations.

r5TPsooner
9/6/2008, 09:08 PM
I hope that they address the issue during the off season. They should only throw the flag in instances where you are taunting the other team or spiking the football, or doing a stoopid back flip going into the end zone.

Soonerfan85
9/6/2008, 09:08 PM
In a "normal" scoring situation I agree with you, but in that situation, with the game potentially on the line as time is expiring, I say keep the flag in your pocket.

Not looking to start an argument, but what other rules should the officials ignore during the last few minutes of a game?

r5TPsooner
9/6/2008, 09:10 PM
Not looking to start an argument, but what other rules should the officials ignore during the last few minutes of a game?

You posted your opinion on the situation and I posted mine. End of discussion.

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2008, 09:12 PM

It's a bull**** rule, plain and simple; the kid scored with 2 seconds left to potentially tie the game and he's not supposed to get a little excited? Sometimes some common sense from a ref would be nice

OU_Sooners75
9/6/2008, 09:14 PM
The rule is pretty clear.

After scoring a TD teh player must either give the ball to the nearest ref or drop it as close as to the dead ball spot as possible. You are not allowed to spike it, throw it in the crowd or throw it in the air.

I do not totally agree with it. But it is a rule and therefore the penalty was justified.

OU_Sooners75
9/6/2008, 09:17 PM
It's a bull**** rule, plain and simple; the kid scored with 2 seconds left to potentially tie the game and he's not supposed to get a little excited? Sometimes some common sense from a ref would be nice

And he should have reacted in a different manner.

Throwing the ball after a score is a penalty, no matter how anal it may seem, it is the rule.

He could have scored, and let the ball go instead of throwing the ball into the air.

However, it did not negate the TD. Yes, the PAT was 15 yards further, but it was very makeable. If Washington would have blocked better and the kicker did not kick so low, the PAT would not have been blocked.

And please do not use the emotional aspect. It won't work. you still think when you are emotional.

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 09:24 PM
Sometimes some common sense from a ref would be nice
My wife used to officiate football and knew some of the Big 12 refs from the Austin district (you know who they are), common sense and referees at that level are mutually exclusive in her opinion.....

Sooner98
9/6/2008, 09:32 PM
Whether or not it's a bad rule, I think the 15 yards should be enforced on the kickoff instead of on the extra point. I believe this is how they do it in the NFL.

Leroy Lizard
9/6/2008, 11:44 PM
Do we really want referees to decide for themselves whether penalties should be assessed by which team is winning, or how little time is left in the game, or the closeness of the score?

You call them as you see them, no matter the situation. It is up to the players to know the rules of the game and abide by them. Don't pitch the ball up in the air, and you won't have to worry about getting penalized for it.

Mandibleclaw
9/6/2008, 11:50 PM
I see some agree, the ref did exactly what the rules stated that would draw a penalty. When and where it happens shouldn't matter, do we really want to go down that slippery slope and actually give refs a judgemental power in assessing penalties?

I don't like how it effected the game either, but the outrage should be directed at the rule.

soonerspudman
9/7/2008, 02:24 AM
As much as I hate to see a player penalized in that situstion, the fact is that players are all aware of the rules. Unfortunately this guy picked a terrible time to loose his concentration and throw the ball high into the air. It sucks, but the officials really had no choice but to throw a flag.

For those who'd say "the officials shouldn't make that call at the end of the game", I say "the players shouldn't give the officials a reason to make that call at the end of the game". The officials on the field have to call the game according to the rules. Even if the rules, such as the excessive celebration rule, are not popular with the fans.

"the players shouldn't give the officials a reason to make that call at the end of the game".

Correct answer, well said. It's the rule everyone has agreed to play by.