PDA

View Full Version : Broken Arrow upsets #1 Tulsa Union

The_Red_Patriot
9/5/2008, 10:54 PM
Wow...24-9. BA's first win against Union since 1989. Former Union defensive coordinator Steve Spavital wasn't given the head job at Union when it opened 2 years ago so he took the DC job at BA under Ron Lancaster. Broken Arrow(largest school in the state) might be headed in the right direction. They have the biggest pool of athletes and now they might have the coaching staff to take down the rest of the 6A power houses.

Yet another team in the east rises.

CK Sooner
9/5/2008, 10:55 PM
They are nothing without Tress.

boomersooner28
9/5/2008, 11:06 PM
BA stadium is right across the street. It was crazy around here an hour ago.

BoomerSooner07
9/5/2008, 11:17 PM
Finally! I played in the state championship when we got our a$$ kicked by union, so this is sweet.

tommieharris91
9/5/2008, 11:35 PM
Wow...24-9. BA's first win against Union since 1989. Former Union defensive coordinator Steve Spavital wasn't given the head job at Union when it opened 2 years ago so he took the DC job at BA under Ron Lancaster. Broken Arrow(largest school in the state) might be headed in the right direction. They have the biggest pool of athletes and now they might have the coaching staff to take down the rest of the 6A power houses.

OMG!!! I thought this would never happen, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.

http://www.cybersalt.org/cl_images/1zzzzxa/signs/signhell.jpg

goingoneight
9/5/2008, 11:43 PM
Finally! I played in the state championship when we got our a$$ kicked by union, so this is sweet.

Holy sheet... who are you dood?

chad
9/5/2008, 11:49 PM
One of my friends is coaching football at BA this year and he said this could be a break through year. I didn't believe him until I saw the score.

I didn't go to a single HS football while I attended BA, it would have been a waste of time.
(I played Ice Hockey for the club team)

OU-HSV
9/6/2008, 12:30 AM
One of my friends is coaching football at BA this year and he said this could be a break through year. I didn't believe him until I saw the score.

I didn't go to a single HS football while I attended BA, it would have been a waste of time.
(I played Ice Hockey for the club team)

As a former B.A. football player, that's offensive to read you "didn't go to a single game cause it would have been a waste of time". We still had entertaining games back then. :D
It's just the fact that the right coach (and coaches) are in place now and things might start working out for B.A. It was a long time coming for us to finally beat Union again. What a great night for BA football. Props to those coaches, they're doing a great job. Don't be fooled, Union is still a good team, I won't be surprised if Union only loses 2 games this regular season.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/6/2008, 02:08 AM
I knew Ron Lancaster when he was coach at Sallisaw and I know the track record he has; it was just a matter of time before BA could push its way to the big-boy table with Union and Jenks.

Congrats to coach Lancaster and BA.

SoonerDood
9/6/2008, 08:15 AM
A dark day indeed. FWIW, I thought Spavital would've been the right hire after Blank left.

OU-HSV
9/6/2008, 09:23 AM
A dark day indeed. FWIW, I thought Spavital would've been the right hire after Blank left.

Yeah, Spav really got the shaft in that deal. But it looks like B.A. was the best beneficiary from him leaving Union.

I just watched my dvr of last night's replay of that game.
B.A. played some very solid D against one of the best RBs in 6A ball. B.A.'s backup RB who ended up having to carry the load since the starter was injured...well he played huge. B.A. has some huge O-Lineman...and what looked to be a good size WR in that Pickney kid and also a good size Tight End. Hopefully the QB at B.A. (Fulps) will live up to the hype he's been getting and hopefully he'll start lighting up 6A defenses.
Great win for B.A., I hope they can keep it together for the whole season now. It would be nice to get the gold ball on the East side of hwy 169 for once.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2008, 09:25 AM
Screw the east. This stud (http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=3485920) will take the west and the Putnam City North Panthers (home of Sam Bradford) back to glory.

OU-HSV
9/6/2008, 09:28 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080905_298_BROK548843

OKC-SLC
9/6/2008, 10:06 AM
wow. we hadn't beaten Union for so long I just assumed it wasn't possible.

John Kochtoston
9/6/2008, 10:09 AM
Good win, BA. But it doesn't mean a thing unless it's in the playoffs.

OU-HSV
9/6/2008, 11:06 AM
wow. we hadn't beaten Union for so long I just assumed it wasn't possible.

I sent you a ton of text message updates last night of this game, hope I didn't wake the family with them

KC//CRIMSON
9/6/2008, 12:42 PM
Chalk one up for the home town! Way to go BA!

Denver_Sooner
9/6/2008, 06:57 PM

Spavital was my Geology teacher at Tulsa Union. Aghhhhhh memory lane :)

bluedogok
9/6/2008, 07:01 PM
....and in other news......
PC West sucks again this year, they have done anything since 85sooner and I were going to school there.

The_Red_Patriot
9/7/2008, 10:30 PM
Spavital was my Geology teacher at Tulsa Union. Aghhhhhh memory lane :)

My gym teacher in 6th grade.

BudSooner
9/8/2008, 07:33 AM
Hell, it's about time. That coaching staff has been together for now on it's third year? Two of Ron's staff have NFL experience, i'm surprised it took this long.

Welcome to the party,

Sincerely Alan Trimble :D

The_Red_Patriot
9/8/2008, 09:27 AM
This is the staff's 2nd year.

Pricetag
9/8/2008, 03:23 PM
Good win, BA. But it doesn't mean a thing unless it's in the playoffs.
I was telling my wife, I hope we don't play them again in the playoffs and lose. It would ruin an entire year of bragging rights.

OU-HSV
9/8/2008, 07:10 PM
Hell, it's about time. That coaching staff has been together for now on it's third year? Two of Ron's staff have NFL experience, i'm surprised it took this long.

Welcome to the party,

Sincerely Alan Trimble :D

I'm pretty certain this is only their second year together at B.A.
Someone on t.v. messed up the other night and said it was their 3rd, but it's their second.

Breadburner
9/8/2008, 07:13 PM
I'm pretty certain this is only their second year together at B.A.
Someone on t.v. messed up the other night and said it was their 3rd, but it's their second.

This is the start of Spavitals third year away from Union.....

OU-HSV
9/8/2008, 07:17 PM
This is the start of Spavitals third year away from Union.....

That's fine and dandy, but it's only his and Lancaster's second year at B.A.

Football season opens Friday
By: Doug Quinn, Sports Editor
09/03/2008
Updated 09/03/2008 06:57:14 PM CDT

BAHS hosting Union at
Memorial Stadium

Steve Spavital never lost to
Broken Arrow High School
when he coached at Union.

He was 18-0 from 1992-2005
as a Union defensive assistant.

On the flip side, he's never
beaten the Redskins.

Spavital, now a second-year
assistant head coach at BAHS,
knows the rivalry from both sides.

Spavital - and three other
now-Tiger assistants under
Ron Lancaster get a second
crack at Union Friday at
7:30 p.m. when BAHS hosts
the season opener at
Memorial Stadium.
While Union's mastery over Broken Arrow has reached 22 straight games dating back to
1990, Spavital said it's important for his team to keep a perspective. It's not the only
game on the BAHS schedule, he said. There are other regular season games that will
follow. Then, perhaps, more in the post-season.

"This is just the first game and we are preparing for Union like we will Owasso next week
and Tulsa Washington in two weeks," Spavital said. "Union is doing the same thing."

Spavital, who wasn't in coaching in 2006, said the Tigers shouldn't worry about their
opponent.

"What's important is we take care of our business," he said. "We have to come out of the
game a better team."

The Tigers will have their hands full against Union, which is ranked No. 2 in a preseason
poll. Coached by Kirk Fridrich, it has an explosive offense led by tailback Jeremy Smith
and a swarming defense.

Broken Arrow has displayed marked improvement from last year's 6-5 finish in two
preseason scrimmage sessions.

BAHS returns junior tailback Jerrod Green, who ran for 1,104 yards last year and
quarterback Cale Fulps, who will be a three-year starter.

In the preseason, Spavital's defense showed tenacity. Spavital sees a bigger picture than
just the first game.

BAHS hosts Class 6A No. 7 Owasso Sept. 12, visits Class 5A No. 3 Tulsa Washington
Sept. 19, hosts Class 6A No. 6 Muskogee Oct. 3 and visits Class 6A No. 1 Jenks Oct. 10.

"I told our defensive guys if they will buy in and stay with us," he said, "we'll have the best
defense after that sixth week."

UNION at BROKEN ARROW

When: Friday, Sept. 5

Time: 7:30 p.m.

Place: Memorial Stadium

Admission: $5 for general admission.

Records: Season opener for both schools.

Coaches: Kirk Fridrich of Union; Ron Lancaster of Broken Arrow.

Rankings: Union No. 2; Broken Arrow No. 4

Series Record: Union leads, 24-3, and has won the last 22 in a row dating back to 1990.

Last Meeting: Union scored twice in the first quarter enroute to a 28-7 victory at Broken
Arrow to clinch the District 6A-3 title.

Tiger Radio: Broken Arrow games are carried on AM 1430 beginning at 7 p.m. with the
pre-game show. Steve Scott does play-by-play and Bo Belcher commentary.

Looking Ahead: BAHS hosts Owasso Sept. 12 in a non-district game. It will be BA Athletic
Hall of Fame Night.

StoopTroup
9/8/2008, 07:43 PM
Owasso will crush BA. :D

OU-HSV
9/8/2008, 07:54 PM
Owasso will crush BA. :D

That would suck

badger
9/10/2008, 01:14 PM
I read awhile back, during the summer that the new BA coach Ron Lancaster introduced summer conditioning regimes to the program that weren't in place earlier and that it had met with some resistance:

Ron Lancaster recalls one athlete whose mother dragged him out of bed and to the field with a scowl on his face. The Broken Arrow head coach told the player that if a parent had to wake him up again for practice, he was off the team. The Tigers want dedicated players and need summer workouts.

"If you want to compete, you got to do it," Lancaster says. "Because I assure you, they're doing it."

"(There are) parents who call up and say, 'I think that's unfair,' " Lancaster said. " 'My kid likes his summer off.' I said, 'Well then let him have his summer off. But he isn't going to play football.' "

Then read later on how he's only planning on staying three years until things are back in shape in BA:

"We're way ahead, actually," Lancaster said. "With all of the changes I brought with me, I thought I'd get more resistance from the players, the administration and the parents.

"It's been said that the administrators here do not back the football program. That's absurd. They've done everything in the world to back this program. When there's a barrier or a problem, we knock the darn thing down and move on."

"Some of our parents don't understand it," Lancaster said. "But if you don't go through Summer Pride, you're not going to play here. You're in school ball. It's time to grow up."

Sorry to all the Unionists out there, but this will only make for better football in the long run. What fun would Union football be if it wasn't for Jenks? Now there's another team in there to circle on the schedule for both.

Of course :D I never had a good football team any of my years in high school, so eff you all who got to experience winning football at an early age. ;)

Article One: Turf Darwinism (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080713_227_B1_hHIGHS19559 )

Article 2: Lancaster continue to mold BA (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080523_227_B1_hTheTi75892 )

Pricetag
9/10/2008, 02:20 PM
Plus, it would **** off the West Siders even worse if an East team that wasn't Jenks or Union won the thing.

The_Red_Patriot
9/10/2008, 05:38 PM
They play 6A high school football over there on the west side?

cute

bluedogok
9/10/2008, 07:48 PM
Y'all whined plenty about the west side of the state winning more often until this current Tulsa area run...now y'all just whine about OKC :D

OU-HSV
9/10/2008, 08:01 PM
I read awhile back, during the summer that the new BA coach Ron Lancaster introduced summer conditioning regimes to the program that weren't in place earlier and that it had met with some resistance:

Then read later on how he's only planning on staying three years until things are back in shape in BA:

Sorry to all the Unionists out there, but this will only make for better football in the long run. What fun would Union football be if it wasn't for Jenks? Now there's another team in there to circle on the schedule for both.

Of course :D I never had a good football team any of my years in high school, so eff you all who got to experience winning football at an early age. ;)

Article One: Turf Darwinism (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080713_227_B1_hHIGHS19559 )

Article 2: Lancaster continue to mold BA (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080523_227_B1_hTheTi75892 )

When I played we had the Summer Camps and we had the adam's course to increase speed/agility. But it sounds like he's taking it to another level....and a much needed higher level at that. Props to Lancaster for being hard nosed and stepping the system up a notch

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 06:08 AM
go del city! haha

ousooners182
9/13/2008, 06:10 AM
gotta give love to my old school even if we couldnt play football :)