PDA

View Full Version : Beatles: Your Gonna Lose that Girl....

King Crimson
9/5/2008, 09:34 PM
i heard this on the bus today, blew me away...."i'll make a point of taking her away from you (watch what you do...yeah)...

DSPmb0a5vZA

soonerhubs
9/5/2008, 09:43 PM
The Beatles rule all.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2008, 09:47 PM
All your bass are belong to Paul?

King Crimson
9/5/2008, 09:52 PM
asked the girl what she wanted to be, she said baby can't you see....

nmsoonergirl
9/5/2008, 10:20 PM
I'm posting in this thread because
1. I like the Beatles also and
2. It's not another freaking thread about Obama and/or Palin

:)

BigRedJed
9/6/2008, 08:11 AM
Ringo smoking is cracking me the hell up.

King Crimson
9/6/2008, 08:15 AM
Ringo smoking is cracking me the hell up.

he's the tough, dangerous one.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/6/2008, 08:18 AM
He was puffing smoke with the beat of the song.

:mack:

BigRedJed
9/6/2008, 08:20 AM
he's the tough, dangerous one.
Yeah, I always thought he should have been in the Stones instead. Scary dude, that one.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/6/2008, 08:35 AM
From the flick, Hard Day's Night - right?

King Crimson
9/6/2008, 08:40 AM

Help!

Ike
9/6/2008, 11:44 AM
well, we need more of this shiite...

FEaCwUnJSZA

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 11:52 AM
Great Song

tbl
9/6/2008, 11:52 AM
The best cover of this song ever. Seriously. This guy is amazing.

xozQPPFRSG8

Ike
9/6/2008, 11:54 AM
One of the best versions of this song ever. Seriously. This guy is amazing.

xozQPPFRSG8

"we're sorry, this video is no longer available"

Ike
9/6/2008, 11:55 AM
aNMhPQoEbJE

This is one of my favorites...

tbl
9/6/2008, 11:57 AM

Hard Days Night is in B&W, Help! is in color... Plus their hair was growing out quite a bit in Help!.

Best
Band
Evar

tbl
9/6/2008, 11:59 AM
aNMhPQoEbJE

This is one of my favorites...

Oh yeah... I don't even have to click on that to know "You've got to hide your love away". Great song. GREAT! That's a good one to just sit back with your acoustic and play. Also one of the rare Beatles songs in 3/4 waltz time. We need to get more 3/4 rock songs.

King Crimson
9/6/2008, 12:02 PM
hide your love away is mos def in my top 2-3 Beatles songs....if i ever sat down to make that list.

i think the whole Help! LP is very underrated.

Ike
9/6/2008, 12:06 PM
I used to love the Beatles Cartoons as a kid too:

h3rQ3lOEm9M

Newbomb Turk
9/6/2008, 12:07 PM
hide your love away is mos def in my top 2-3 Beatles songs....if i ever sat down to make that list.

i think the whole Help! LP is very underrated.

your taste in music >> your taste in golf courses.

;)

Ike
9/6/2008, 12:14 PM
SbKGsEK_T9g

King Crimson
9/6/2008, 12:15 PM
your taste in music >> your taste in golf courses.

;)

i fart in your general direction.

BigRedJed
9/6/2008, 07:49 PM
Help!
Sure. What can I do for you?

swardboy
9/6/2008, 08:47 PM
I just found an incredible collection of British music on youtube. NME...add 1964 or 1965 0r 1965. Apparently National Music Express had annual rock bank competitions, and you'll find live music of Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds (Jeff Beck on guitar), Kinks, etc at the start of their careers...on the same freakin' stage.

Here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahD2swCU0GQ&feature=related

VeeJay
9/6/2008, 09:08 PM
Carry That Weight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3vKqoO90Mo)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/6/2008, 10:14 PM
One of my favorites from their early days(I think of stuff before Rubber Soul as their early days):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogExB5G-h8E

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/8/2008, 08:31 AM
Another great Beatles song, but from later in their career, is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". It features Eric Clapton as well.

BigRedJed
9/8/2008, 08:36 AM
George's songs have always been my favorite, overall. I know that puts me in the minority.

BigRedJed
9/8/2008, 08:42 AM
To further expound on that, though I loved them both, I always found John's songs in general to be a bit acerbic and preachy, and Paul's songs flirting with pop a bit too often. George's, OTOH, were more searching and introspective, and I guess that's just overall the kind of music I like best.

Ringo, of course, mostly stunk. But we liked him anyway.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/8/2008, 09:50 AM
I was a Paul person mostly, but I love all of George's songs. John had a recipe for his songs that was pointed out to me once. It was all nice and going along then the bridge always seemd to be some kind of anger or agressive mood feeling and then back light and peppy. One of the best examples of this is in "She's So Heavy", which is an amazing song about Cindy and Yoko. Great stuff.

BigRedJed
9/8/2008, 10:32 AM
John also used that approach in a lot of Paul's songs. I heard Paul talk about it once in an interview. He specifically cited Getting Better as an example. He said John had a way of taking Paul's music and adding a wry twist to make them far better than what Paul originally came up with.

Paul:

I've got to admit it's getting better
A little better all the time...
John:

It can't get no worse...

tbl
9/8/2008, 03:45 PM
"we're sorry, this video is no longer available"

Bush League!!! He blocked linking directly to the file. Oh well... Click on the link. It's greatness. He has some other good arrangements as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozQPPFRSG8

tbl
9/8/2008, 03:46 PM
One of my favorites from their early days(I think of stuff before Rubber Soul as their early days):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogExB5G-h8E

The Anthology version of this is way better. Greatness...

tbl
9/8/2008, 03:51 PM
I've always been a John guy, and it's a landslide for me. That's not to say that I don't love Paul or Georges stuff, but there isn't a miss with Johns songs. Out of all of them, Paul had the best ability for writing straight crap and is the only Beatle songwriter to pen a song that I couldn't stand... actually a couple.

As far as Ringo goes, he may not have been the best songwriter, but let me tell you this; that guy is an amazing drummer. Don't kid yourself. He's top notch, and I'm being serious... and don't call me Shirley.

King Crimson
9/8/2008, 04:35 PM
Ringo and Charlie Watts were skiffle drummers. they did exactly what they needed to do...listen to the snare sound on Peppers or Magical Mystery Tour...that's about the best there is.

on the other hand, Paul's drumming on the Ballad of John and Yoko is pretty nice. that tune was recorded entirely by J and P in the studio. it's a killer, Paul's backup vocal are classic....and they sure as hell didn't like each other much then.

King Crimson
9/8/2008, 04:40 PM
i'm a Lennon guy.

as a kid i was a draw and i like a lot of Paul's solo stuff with Wings. Junior's Farm and Mull of Kintyre...Another Day...typical Paulie stuff.

George is great. you watch that rooftop version of Get Back and Lennon is out of tune and George just rolls his eyes kinda and hits his amp and fills in....when he knows this "Let it Be" movie is an ego standoff between Paul and John. and he's supposed to be off camera...but then they need him.

Howzit
9/8/2008, 04:42 PM
One of my favorite Beatles tunes was always I'll follow the Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6NS2D0pW8).

King Crimson
9/8/2008, 04:47 PM
George is great. you watch that rooftop version of Get Back and Lennon is out of tune and George just rolls his eyes kinda and hits his amp and fills in....when he knows this "Let it Be" movie is an ego standoff between Paul and John. and he's supposed to be off camera...but then they need him.

YVT_KRRwH0M

think they could maybe get Billy Preston some camera time?

still pretty great.

BigRedJed
9/8/2008, 05:05 PM
R.I.P., Billy.

BigRedJed
9/8/2008, 05:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Billy_Preston.jpg/379px-Billy_Preston.jpg

Animal Mother
9/9/2008, 12:33 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Billy_Preston.jpg/379px-Billy_Preston.jpg

OH WHAT A 'FRO!!!!

My friends and I saw George Harrison in Tulsa circa 1974 with Billy P. on the keys. George's voice was rough but what a show!! Leon Russell even stumbled onto the stage. Saw Macca in 1976. "Let It Be" was released when I was about to turn 13. When they broke up it was as if my family had been taken away from me. When John was murdered, that was the single most "WTF?" moment of my life. When George passed I was tore down for days. When Ringo and Paul go please sedate me.

sooneron
9/9/2008, 12:41 PM
I have always had a soft spot for...

XDTi_La94Uo&feature=related

of course, I think that's the 2nd time I've posted that vid on here.

TexasLidig8r
9/9/2008, 12:45 PM
That looks a little like Peter Tork playing the bongos in the first vid.

tbl
9/9/2008, 12:57 PM
This has always been a top 1% for me. Georges little lead runs down the neck are a thing of beauty. I'm still not sure which version I like better, Past Masters or Let it Be. I tend to lean toward Past Masters b/c Johns voice is much stronger, however I really like the "Pleeeeease" that goes throughout the outro on the LIB version. Greatness either way...

jPgEoBlNuqM

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/9/2008, 01:05 PM
John also used that approach in a lot of Paul's songs. I heard Paul talk about it once in an interview. He specifically cited Getting Better as an example. He said John had a way of taking Paul's music and adding a wry twist to make them far better than what Paul originally came up with.

Paul:

John:

Exactly, as well as "No Reply", where I believe that they starting getting a little edgier at that point. That song seems to me to be the transition of them from bubblegum pop to the classic rock they produced.

Sooner04
9/9/2008, 01:16 PM
This has always been a top 1% for me. Georges little lead runs down the neck are a thing of beauty. I'm still not sure which version I like better, Past Masters or Let it Be. I tend to lean toward Past Masters b/c Johns voice is much stronger, however I really like the "Pleeeeease" that goes throughout the outro on the LIB version. Greatness either way...

jPgEoBlNuqM
Can't go wrong with either. That's one of my very favorite Lennon compositions.

Sooner04
9/9/2008, 01:37 PM
Something and Nowhere Man back to back on the local radio station just now. Doesn't get much better than that.

BigRedJed
9/9/2008, 03:17 PM
There are still radio stations?

Sooner04
9/9/2008, 06:06 PM
The version of Don't Let Me Down from Let It Be......Naked is my favorite. It's a little bit quicker, but Lennon's vocals are just awesome.