PDA

View Full Version : say a little prayer for a little baby...

soonerbrat
9/5/2008, 08:53 AM
My cousin just had her baby yesterday - I don't even know if it is a boy or a girl, but I do know that it has Down's syndrome and also had to be airlifted to a heart hospital for open heart surgery. They had no idea there was anything wrong - I'm not sure they ever had an ultrasound because they didn't want to know if it was a boy or girl. Seems like it would be common practice, but there was no high risk for any kind of problem, they are pretty young..

Anyway..if you could keep that little baby and my cousin's family in your thoughts, it would be great.

r5TPsooner
9/5/2008, 08:54 AM
Thoughts and prayers for your cousin and her baby.

TexasSooner01
9/5/2008, 09:13 AM
Prayers sent. Its always more traumatic when it is a little one. Hopefully the little tike will pull out of it ok.

OU-HSV
9/5/2008, 09:15 AM
Count me in. Hope all ends up okay

colleyvillesooner
9/5/2008, 09:16 AM
That's terrible.

We're about to have our first one in Feb. and stuff like this breaks my heart.

For anyone else reading, you can have ultrasounds and not find out the sex, they just tell you to look away in case they see something when looking down there.

Prayers sent.

soonerbrat
9/5/2008, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure if they had an ultrasound or not, but you'd think they would've found some problems if they had..and at least been a little prepared. I just assumed that stuff was routine..I know she and hubby have excellent health insurance, so that wasn't an issue.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2008, 09:38 AM
in for the family

Boomer.....
9/5/2008, 09:40 AM
So sorry to hear that. Prayers sent.

nmsoonergirl
9/5/2008, 09:45 AM
I'll be thinking of them.
And even if they had the ultrasound, you aren't always able to see heart defects.

soonerbrat
9/5/2008, 09:51 AM
I'll be thinking of them.
And even if they had the ultrasound, you aren't always able to see heart defects.

can't they see Down's though?

I thought they could.

nmsoonergirl
9/5/2008, 09:56 AM
Not really...there are some subtle findings that MAY be helpful, but again not really and not if you don't have a high suspicion to start with.

This is not a bad summary.

http://www.ds-health.com/prenatal.htm

Do you know what Children's Hospital they went to?

TexasSooner01
9/5/2008, 09:56 AM
I think that they measure the size of the skull and bones to try to detect DS and other birth defects. If they suspect that there might be a problem, then they do the other more invasive tests. Or at least that is what they did for my cousin a few months ago when she went in for her routine check up. But my cousin was also a high risk pregnancy.

I am not sure if they do those type of tests if the woman isnt a high risk. It seems like they should though...

85Sooner
9/5/2008, 10:09 AM
Thoughts and prayers are on the way. Be Well

colleyvillesooner
9/5/2008, 10:27 AM
can't they see Down's though?

I thought they could.

They can do a blood test. We just had it done. It looks for certain things in the blood that would indicate a "higher" risk of DS, but not tell you for sure the baby has it. For example, a normal baby has a 1/1000 chance of DS, but if the test is positive, your chances increase to, say 1/200.

They do also look at the ultrasound and measure the size of things for signs of irregularities.

soonerbrat
9/5/2008, 10:46 AM
They can do a blood test. We just had it done. It looks for certain things in the blood that would indicate a "higher" risk of DS, but not tell you for sure the baby has it. For example, a normal baby has a 1/1000 chance of DS, but if the test is positive, your chances increase to, say 1/200.

They do also look at the ultrasound and measure the size of things for signs of irregularities.

yeah, i thought the measuring thing would work. I guess I thought wrong.

proud gonzo
9/5/2008, 10:49 AM
in

Turd_Ferguson
9/5/2008, 10:51 AM
I thought you had to have an amniocentesis done to find that out:confused: Anyway, prayer's sent for the family and little one.:(

M
9/5/2008, 10:52 AM
Sending prayers for you and your family...

colleyvillesooner
9/5/2008, 10:54 AM
I thought you had to have an amniocentesis done to find that out:confused: Anyway, prayer's sent for the family and little one.:(

IF it comes back that you have a higher chance, you can do that test as well, but it increases chance of miscarriage slightly, and I don't know if it tells you 100% for sure the baby has it.

AMSooner
9/5/2008, 10:59 AM
The only way to tell 100% is with an amnio or CVS.

I think heart problems are pretty common with Down's babies, so hopefully he/she will have the surgery and be okay.

Prayers sent.

nmsoonergirl
9/5/2008, 11:02 AM
Amniocentesis is pretty much >99 percent accurate, but as CVS said, it's invasive and a little risky. Even if there is a high risk of Trisomy 21 (down's syndrome), a lot of parents opt not to have amnio done because they aren't going to abort the pregnancy regardless.

colleyvillesooner
9/5/2008, 11:04 AM
Yep, that's what we would have done had her levels been high. Nothing.

Turd_Ferguson
9/5/2008, 11:08 AM
Amniocentesis is pretty much >99 percent accurate, but as CVS said, it's invasive and a little risky. Even if there is a high risk of Trisomy 21 (down's syndrome), a lot of parents opt not to have amnio done because they aren't going to abort the pregnancy regardless.All of my chitlen's have been born c-section because of the first one being an emergency c-section. On the second one, the Doc said he was ready to get pulled out about two weeks early. She said by law, she would have to do an amnio before she could do it. I said OK....the wife however, informed me I would have to wait.:O

Okieflyer
9/5/2008, 12:42 PM
Definately say a prayer!

olevetonahill
9/5/2008, 01:22 PM
In, cause I hate Kids and animals .

King Crimson
9/5/2008, 02:02 PM
in

JohnnyMack
9/5/2008, 02:04 PM
Amniocentesis is pretty much >99 percent accurate, but as CVS said, it's invasive and a little risky. Even if there is a high risk of Trisomy 21 (down's syndrome), a lot of parents opt not to have amnio done because they aren't going to abort the pregnancy regardless.

Even though I'm quite the heathen, my wife and I didn't even have the initial test done with either of our boys.

soonerbrat
9/6/2008, 09:39 AM
OK, it's a boy, his name is Caden..they're not 100% sure he has downs, but he does have some complications that are associated with downs..he had intestine surgery yesterday and is having heart surgery today or tomorrow. He couldn't have been born into a better family, they are all up there (it's my mom's cousin's family). Hopefully later today I will be able to take them a cooler full of sandwich fixins.

Scott D
9/6/2008, 09:48 AM
good to hear that things are a little better.

Turd_Ferguson
9/6/2008, 11:09 AM
good to hear that things are a little better.^^^^what he said.

olevetonahill
9/6/2008, 11:19 AM
Keep up the Good reports.

GrapevineSooner
9/6/2008, 12:32 PM
Continued thoughts and prayers for Caden.

And for the family that loves him so.

CK Sooner
9/6/2008, 12:36 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

9/6/2008, 01:25 PM
God bless the little one.